Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The governor as a ruthless version of Rick would have been perfect, but sadly I don't think that was even the original intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pretty good start to the season, setting up some kind of normalcy before presumably things break down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would assume it's food borne considering they spent a lot of time focusing on that sick pig, and we saw the kid cooking something earlier that he may have eaten off screen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What the hell was D'Angelo trying to do to that zombie while he was trapped under the liquor shelf? It looked like he was peeling open his skill to poke it's brains with his finger.
He was trying to just keep it away from him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

etalian posted:

What's the point, haven't HBO and Starz already cornered the naked bum market?
HBO is cornering the market for balls In the last couple of Eastbound and Down episodes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not really thrilled with this character turn for Carol...it seems way out of character to me. I guess they foreshadowed it earlier with teaching the kids to kill with knives, and the scene with the kids and their zombie father. It's also kind of a disappointment that they solved that mystery within one episode.

I still like what they're doing with the character writing, it's miles ahead of where the show has been with most of its major characters since the beginning. Michonne is actually a decent character now that competent writers get to write for her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Teek posted:

No big surprise, renewed for another season:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/29/the-walking-dead-renewed-5th-season/

Gimple will continue as showrunner.
Good, I like what Gimple is doing so far

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pretty good episode. I appreciate them trying to have some nuance in the differences between the views of characters, rather than the wasted opportunity that was the Governor last season. Lots of good character moments.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Svanja posted:

And I am just pissed I have to wait another week for the Daryl-Rick interaction.
(only problem I have about this week's episode)
Well it made sense, since last week we spent the whole time with the people who were outside of the prison, and this time it was inside.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really hope Scott Gimple has some good idea of how to use the Governor, because otherwise I'm afraid that his reappearance is going to derail what has been arguably the best season thus far.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I liked the struggle Hershel had with trying to help people and being forced to acknowledge that he wasn't going to save everyone, as the other doctor told him. Like Rick, until the last minute he was doing his best to preserve a sense of civility in the worst possible situation, with taking the trouble of moving the dead bodies into the other room before stabbing them in the head. He could barely even bring himself to do it, as Glenn mentioned to him. Rick also did everything he could to shield Carl from the reality of their situation, until no other options were left. I think that's been one of the show's strengths to date- the characters struggling to preserve society after it has completely collapsed, even to the point of absurdity (like with the moving of the bodies). This season they've actually spent the time developing characters and their relationships, whereas in the previous seasons that fell to the wayside for someone in danger, usually. The second season had too much of that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crankit posted:

Was there any follow up on that radio station Daryl heard in the car, or was he not interest because they didn't play his favourite 2 kinds of music country, and western?
Not yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Evernoob posted:

Kind of funny we haven't had any significant Darryl screentime for about 3 episodes in a row, and people aren't flaming about it.

Imagine this would have happened one or two seasons ago.
The next episode that they're back at the prison will probably be Daryl-centric, I would imagine. They held off on the Carol as the killer reveal deliberately.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Access to means, I think it's important to consider whether intent or outcome is a bigger indicator of "monsterhood". Like when people in this thread are literally cheering the murder of that one dude by Carl or going bonkers in favor of all the anti-social murderous behavior that we see week to week are monsters or not.

Oh I see, my shorthand has confused you. Yes I know all those things happened, but relative morality vs. survival is a major theme in this show. If new Carol had been in the Governor's position, then would you be surprised about her doing all the same stuff? The Governor is the ultimate end of that "survival for my group" line of thinking. Farmer Rick would be the ultimate end of the "try to maintain humanity in the face of overwhelming horror" being the other end of the spectrum.
I think that was the intent of the writers, but in reality the Governor comes off too insane to be a credible alternative.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well unfortunately my fears were realized with this episode....

I was hoping to see SOMETHING new with the Governor and his story arc, but now we're rebooting Season 3 except now he has a family? That's a big letdown. The last thing I really wanted to see was another Gov/Rick showdown over the prison yet again.

It seemed like they were actually going somewhere with this episode until he summarily executed Martinez. I actually thought this made sense in a way, since of course Martinez was the only one alive who knew what the Gov did at Woodbury. But everything went off the rails after that, with not-Rick and not-Shane in the woods. I like Kirk Acevedo, but it's disappointing to see him basically taking Martinez's place as the Gov's number two. I hope he actually gets to do something other than follow the Governor, but I'm not counting on that.

It just comes off as a waste of buildup for two episodes, to bring us right back to the end of the last season, zombie lake and all.

I understand the idea of trying to set up a different motivation for his actions this time, but does that really need to involve him doing the same thing in the end?

I think it would have been a bit easier to swallow if that zombie had managed to bite his new daughter, which would have better fleshed out the necessity of taking over the prison in his mind. I get that he's basically now on a straight line towards doing what he thinks he has to do in order to protect his new family, but I wish they could have set up a different conflict than one we've already had in essentially the same way. The Gov saw Rick as a threat to his stability and sense of order last season, and that clearly hasn't changed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I also don't think that they had any real plan for movement after season 2 other than get out of the way of the zombie herds.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well that was a satisfying conclusion to the Governor arc, if nothing else. Didn't like to see Hershel go, but I figured that was likely to happen more so than the rest of the cast, who at this point are either too hard to replace or just got there.

I didn't like the setup at all, since it came off to me last week as far too sudden that the Governor's new group would trust him after everything that happened before that. But it was a perfectly fitting end that he failed to protect the ones he loved through his complete inability to be happy with any situation (and I have to think a need for revenge against Rick as well). I'm glad they had his not-wife off him like that, after she watched her own daughter die because of his complete insanity.

This battle was the one we should have gotten at the end of last season, but for whatever reason they couldn't go through with it. I'm glad they ended this story arc for good this time around.

It was a little forced how they had to put off the whole Tyreese side-plot and the mystery of who was dissecting the rats, but it does make me suspect that Carol was probably not responsible for those murders like we thought. Although if she's covering for someone other than the one weird girl it makes less sense that she would take the credit and eventual exile. Hopefully that sideplot goes somewhere in the 2nd half.

I'm glad they're keeping most of the cast intact post-Governor, so that hopefully we get to see more of what we saw the beginning of the season with good character building. Characters like Bob need more screen time. I'm also not buying that the baby is actually dead. I'm sure one of the kids or possibly Tera grabbed her in the chaos.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I heard someone say on another site that the Irish woman from the first episode showed up as a zombie in this one? I don't know if that's true though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

Kirkman said in Talking dead they (the writers) are having an increasingly hard time of killing people off.
Well now we're getting down to the core of people from the beginning (Rick, Carl, Daryl, Carol, Glenn), so it's going to get progressively more difficult. They at least brought in a bunch of new people to replace characters like Andrea, Dale, Herschel, T-Dog, etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I guess then they will probably say that Bob killed the two people since he is a serial killer and saw an opportunity? If they go with that, I'm not sure why Carol would take the credit though. Hopefully it is still the case that she offed them.

moths posted:

Wasn't Bob also the sole survivor of like two other groups?
At least two or three.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to think Glenn and/or Maggie are the next to go. I know a lot of people thought one of them could have been offed earlier.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I could see that, the actor is good friends with Darabont and probably wanted out the minute he was fired.
I believe that was exactly what happened. It also makes that death a little better for me since I thought it was pretty dumb to kill him in that way when I felt like he still had more to do on the show. Then Herschel effectively replaced him, which turned out well

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 4, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Carol's still on the show and I would have to think will be back very soon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nobody even cared enough about Low Winter Sun to notice the cancellation I guess

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm sure he's right, after reading the crap they were pulling behind the scenes with all of their other good shows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Everyone is infected so I assume the virus is airborne that means anyone who dies anywhere turns meaning that the numbers can grow quickly and even if you kill them all one sick person can trigger the whole deal again it makes sense why so many died.
Yeah I think that was part of why this went to hell, but that still seems like a small number of people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'll be more surprised at this point if it's not Bob.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A pretty meandering episode. The Michonne stuff was a little better than the stupid things Carl was doing. It still feels to me like they could have condensed the episode more and folded it into another. I guess they're going to do this group split action for awhile? I hope more is going on with the bigger group.

I'm also not sure how Rick was able to stay on his feet for that long after getting that beating. I never thought he would make it to that house under his own power.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The show goes into a loop as Carol becomes the Governess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kirkman just did a Nerdist podcast, and at least from what he's saying he's just another writer in the room, and Scott Gimple ultimately has the final say with the show. Take that for what you will.

He did talk about the Daryl thing, but didn't come off anywhere near as douchey as that interview posted above. I think he knows that it would be a mistake to kill off Daryl out of spite.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't know about that, they could have made Kirkman showrunner if they really wanted that already.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Maybe I'm wrong, but this half of the season is starting to feel like it's just setting up to introduce the next season. We're already almost halfway through this half of the season, and it seems like the characters are very slowly heading towards this Terminus place. Hopefully I'm wrong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lycus posted:

Merle's death was the culmination of his redemption arc, so that was okay. Dale's death felt like, "The viewers don't like this guy, and we can't come up with anything interesting for him to do, so let's suddenly write him off the show".
Dale's actor wanted off the show after the network fired Frank Darabont, who had convinced him to do the show in the first place or something like that. But yeah, it's by far the dumbest death of the main cast.

Merle got a great death and I don't think it could have really been done much better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So it just occurred to me that there are now no Woodbury characters left. They really did just use them as meat shields this season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

At the rate this is going, they will arrive at the end of the last episode, but we won't see anything really. Everyone still has to get there, and we have to deal with Daryl and that gang he joined up with first. Plus Glenn and the military people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The biggest problem with Season 2 was having the Sophia story drag on for so long. It was completely unnecessary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I've been honestly surprised how little screen time Rick has gotten during this half of the season. I think it's the least of the entire series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Why weren't there anyone at Terminus aside from the woman? Even if it's not cannibals, it's something, especially from the preview at the end of the episode. There's no way in hell Terminus is actually a good place.
I have to assume it's a trap, and the next episode is going to start with them getting knocked out or held up at gunpoint or something. They're pretty boxed in. We also have to assume that Rick, Michonne, and Carl got there first, and they are nowhere to be found either.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Philip J Fry posted:

Was the voice on the radio hers? It's been so long now I can't even remember if it was male or female.
It probably will turn out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Carl will die because the kid playing him is getting too old or something

• Locked thread