Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Any alliances have a spot open? I just started playing this & I'm enjoying it (even though I think I screwed up by tossing all my 1* dudes in favor of 2* dudes who I now can't get covers for). My PVP name is fishyb if you need that for an alliance invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Joshlemagne posted:

I'm going to be cutting back how much I play but if there's an alliance close to a reward in heroic mode I've got ~22k points and can jump in.

Whoops! I had 25k in that mode too. I guess I should have mentioned that. I came in 6th I think, which feels like a good result for my first crack at an event.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DrowningHarvey posted:

Amen to that.

Also, Super Goons has a slot open. First come, first serve.

Joined (fishyb)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sefer posted:

As in, what team people fight when attacking you? It's the team you most recently won with.

The flip side of being able to tank your MMR is that sometimes low level people end up fighting really high level people. Try skipping a few to see if it brings up reasonable fights.

Yeah, I didn't realize you could skip fights initially. Is there a limit to that? Because since I figured it out, I've been skipping mercilessly to pick on lovely teams.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, I opened a diabolic cover yesterday, and at first I was really excited because I got a 4-star wolverine, but now its setting in that Im never, ever going to be able to level this fucker, am I? <:mad:>

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Joshlemagne posted:

Serious question. How does somebody get a roster that looks like this:

'Cause that's just weird.

I sold all my 1-stars because the OP said 2-stars are the bread-and-butter heroes. Really regretting it since I'm not able to level them much at all. I did see the part where the OP said to level Iron man, but I thought I was being clever by skipping a step. I am not clever.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

Yeaah you hosed up buddy.

The punchline is I have like 10 1-star covers in my recruiting list that I'm delaying a decision on because I don't want to lose my precious 2/3 star guys and I can't afford to expand my roster. If I hadn't sold off all my starting heroes, I'd easily have a few 3/2/3-ish dudes by now. As it is, I could still correct my mistake by bringing in some of the 1-star guys, but I have to make a decision on which 2/3 stars to lose to make room. I'd welcome any advice on that front. You can all see my wall of shame, so if you see any obvious turds, let me know & I'll start rebuilding Ironman/Widow/Hawkeye 1-stars.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Joshlemagne posted:

Well I figured you must be pretty new and were using Wolverine to carry you through the early fights. But you seem to have a lot of three star characters and I can't figure out how the heck you got them, unless you're really lucky with tokens. But yeah, you should probably sell your Bag Man and start trying to rebuild Iron Man or Storm because both are pretty solid at 1 star.

I chucked $10 at the game, and did get pretty lucky with my daily deals & basic covers.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

My roster
I started playing recently and stuff is now starting to get challenging. I've mostly been doing the events and usually placing decently. Having a few boosted characters helps the simulator stuff, but I'm starting to hit a wall there too, especially on this mission where I can't use Storm even if I could keep her alive long enough to chain rain death. Boosted Ares, Thor, and Captain America are cool but they synergize very shittily with one another and Ironman is the only one I have really strong enough to hang in the simulator hard mode. I guess I'm just wondering what to do or focus on, but I guess that's mostly up to the RNG?

As a fellow new player, I'm jealous of your 5-green cover M.Storm. I've gotten like, 15 red covers for her and I just got my 2nd green.

One 1-star strategy I noticed is that, while the IM35/M.Storm/MBW combo is a good one when you're fighting other heroes, I like subbing in C.Hawkeye for MBW when it's just really tough grunts that don't take turns. I killed a set of higher-level pyros/snipers last night multiple times without taking a point of damage because of his synergy with M.Storm to get rid of bothersome color-stranded countdown timers.

Also, if you haven't read this yet, do so:
http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939

I really wish I had read that when I first started because I did pretty much everything the exact opposite of the advice in that post.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man, this last portion of the PVE event has been a smorgasbord. I got 3000 ISO & 6 tokens in about 20 minutes.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
#1 in both PVE events with 90 minutes to go :ohdear:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

gromdul posted:

AgentsOfGOON is 19/20. Come be bad with us!

Applied as fishyb.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bob Socko posted:

Her blue is a great stun/nuke when maxed out. Maybe they'll keep that as unique to CStorm?

Yeah CStorm blue + MN Mags purple seems like it would be a nasty combo.

Jargon question: what does lazy mean? Is it that the devs were lazy by copy/pasting 2* powers to 3* power levels?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised I don't see more CStorm + MN Mags in 2-star PVP now that OBW is nerfed. Polarity Shift + Wind Storm is a match-ending combo and only takes 9 purple to get going. They are definitely my A-team ahead of Ares/OBW.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an easier way to lower your pvp score than just intentionally losing matches? I got up to rank 50 in the nefarious foes event before realizing I actually would prefer the 2-star mags over psylocke. I figured I'd gradually lose back below 100 but apparently nobody is playing this event. So I tanked like 8 matches to kill my entire roster & managed to get myself down to.... rank 66. poo poo. <:mad:>

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't really see much of a use for Venom. Captain isn't that great (thought 3* Cap is amazing) but I think he still gets powered up for PVE events quite often. 2* Magneto is pretty useful with his purple and works well with 2* Storm, though he's a one-trick pony. Even with the nerf to healing Original Black Widow is still pretty useful in my opinion. Ares is hella strong, you probably wanna keep him. Moonstone ain't that great, and I don't even remember if she was ever required for nodes. 2* Wolverine hasn't been that great for a while, though I remember him appearing as a required node once (after his nerf, when everyone pretty much sold him), as did 2* Human Torch. If you're not too hung up about missing on nodes, then you might as well vend off 2* Torch and 2* Wolverine. Worst case scenario, you open up a Heroic Pack and get them back.

I can't speak to this personally since I don't have mine leveled yet, but Polarity's guide claims 2* Torch is the perfect compliment to Ares/Thor + OBW in a 2* team with his powerful red and active black.

e: also, if you haven't read Polarity's guide yet as a new player, it's pretty great and he keeps it reasonably up-to-date as stuff changes: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 4, 2014

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

Who'd a good matchup with Ms. Marvel for this PVP round?

My two strongest characters are a Level 78 4/3/5 C.Storm and a level 76 2/5/5 Ares (who is beastly powered up in the PVE). There doesn't seem to be a lot of synergy there though, and I'm losing a ton in the PVP. I can use the rented Ms. Marvel, or I won a 0/1/1 Ms. Marvel in the last PVP. My roster is in a post above though some of the levels have changed. I have a Lvl 47 5/1 Daken ** and a 48 **Mag 0/4/3 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3574405&perpage=40&pagenumber=265#post434276392

Since I don't really have a 3-star lineup yet, I usually just ignore the featured character and focus on good 2-man teams. For you, it looks like your 2-star Storm & Mags should work decent: focus on pinks & blues for polarity shift + windstorm. Ares + MBW might also work if MBW isn't forced into any matches. Hopefully with her @ lvl 1 Ares/Captain Marvel will tank all colors. When you get some roster slots, start leveling OBW. Even after the healing nerf, she's a great compliment to the Red-Yellow-Green users in the 2-star tier.

I don't have a Daken, but I see a lot of Daken/Wolverine combos. I think the idea there is to build up your DPS as quick as possible with strike tiles & take advantage of their true healing abilities to help extend play sessions. They are pretty weak defensively though.

Fellow 2-star roster folks, who do you use for defense? Personally, I'm always annoyed when I have to fight Thor/Ares just for the sheer amount of HP I'm going to have to churn through, but I loathe the thought of trying to attack with them so I have no idea if they actually win fights defensively.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

I don't know how I missed it but I do have a 2/2/3 OBW, She's only at level 46 though until I can get some more covers for her. I use her, but she's a bit weat and tends to die before I can get her Recon to fire. Same for Mags, I have a 50/50 shot of getting his polarity shift to fire before he dies at Lvl 48. Working on getting his level up as well but he's 0/4/3 and maxes at Lvl 54 now. Should get my first blue cover after this PVE event.

One other thing I sort of glossed over is the use of 1-star teams. A maxed MStorm + MBW/IM35 can be a perfectly valid duo to use while your 2-star heroes are still pretty weak. I would recommend rebooting your MBW though & only taking her purple to 1 or 2 covers. It keeps it cheap & missing out on black/purple isn't a huge loss. Juggernaut/Venom can be annoying as hell in defense too.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I'm slowly working my way through with a max Mag/Storm and either Punisher or Panther - up to level 37 now and I basically need to get semi-lucky with the opening board to make it. I've got a stack of boosts saved up but I don't think I'll get the Psylocke.

I'm in the same boat. I slogged thru with Mag/Storm & Punisher, but I completely stalled out at the 173 Sentry/Punisher/Storm & I think I'm done. Sucks too because that BW cover would have got my sniper rifle to 5, which is when it goes from cool to amazing.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For anybody stuck on the gauntlet, try switching to ares/thor, johhny storm, obw. If you get a little lucky with OBW's purple/blue, you can limit the other team to match only damage & burst heal while Thor/Torch cover all the other colors.

It seems like common sense, but I didn't think of it because I was so focused on trying to make the powered up trio of Punisher/MNmag/Cstorm work, & also thinking there was no way I could beat that 173 Punisher/Cstorm/Sentry combo with lvl 94 characters. It ended up being surprisingly easy & I didnt even lose a hero.

GSBW's green is my first 3-star cover to reach lvl 5, woooooo!! :)

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 23, 2014

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Dang, Doc Ock's green looks pretty nice <:stare:>

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how you can finish top 50 in each leg of a PVE event and still only be 150+ in the main ranking? Are the legs tiered & the total event un-tiered?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Good gravy, I hit the mother lode on my season 6 10-pack :stare::
1 Xforce wolverine
1 Invisible woman
2 Patches
1 Falcon
4 of the 5 2-star covers were for the last 2 guys I'm building at that level (Daken/Hawkeye)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

I'm having fun with it... I'm pretty new still though, the grinding gets a little old, but I don't shoot for top 20 or anything. I do hate myself for spending 40 bucks on the game so far, but I've wasted more money on less entertainment before so it's really no big deal I guess.

I agree. I'm coming up on 6 months played, I spend maybe $5 a month to make room for a new hero or secure a PvP spot for a cover I want. It takes a LONG time to transition to a 3-star roster, but I like that. My 3-stars are just starting to become viable choices, & it feels really satisfying.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Syrinxx posted:

Honestly I should revise that to say that the game is actually a bit of fun until you move past the magic "3-star transition point" at which time you will always be matched against full teams of 3 and 4 stars forever. At that point it is a pathetic whale playground that is barely even worth playing while taking a poo poo

Once you're past the 3-star transition, how are whales even a thing? Are 270 Fury/X-force Wolvie teams really that pervasive? So much so that you can't skip them?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The anniversary tokens are kind of fun. 10% chance of Devil Dinosaur, and a tiny chance at 20,000 iso or 2900 HP.

e: oh, and the first single purchased is only 50hp. That's tempting...

e2: AND Tex-Mex appears to be against AI only a lot longer than usual. I'm up to 200 points and I've only fought AI teams. This is very cathartic coming from a game that loving hates my guts the other 51 weeks of the year.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 10, 2014

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I never used 2-star Hawkeye before he got changed, but dang if he isn't a pretty kickass support character now. Speed shot can stack with multiple crits (having 9 on the board is pretty hilarious), and I like that you can choose where to put the blue/red countdown tiles so you can stick them in a corner.

I don't think he'll win a match by himself, but he makes a great compliment to a standard tank/dps type team. For crit-generators like MNMags polarity shift & GSBW deceptive tactics, he's pretty ridiculous.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
These lightning rounds are pretty great. Solid central character that the whales don't have, itty bitty brackets, double XP, & lots of pregen teams.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Overall, this has been a pretty good week for me. At the beginning, my playable 3-stars were Punisher & GSBW at 102. By tomorrow, I'll have GSBW (5 green) & LazyCap (5 red) to 127, Xforce to 124, Patch & Hulk to 104, and I got MHawkeye from 1 to 94.

Also, Prehistoric arms: :derp:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

I'm way short on covers. I'm finally at the point where I'm getting top 100 in PVP, and I'm usually top 50 in PVE events. Going to take a while though.

I could take a 3/3/1 Spidey to level 91... that's about it. Most of my 3 star guys have 1-4 covers. Or I'll just keep banking it.

I tend to disagree with the conventional wisdom that you should start banking for 3-stars early. I think that advice was based on the era of the game where you could make sustained 2-star pushes with OBW spamming heals to keep you going. Now I think you need a deeper 2-star roster to make those same pushes to get into the top 100 & start accumulating 3-star covers. Post-true healing, I've leaned heavily on a rotation of mnmags/cstorm, thor/obw, & wolvie/daken to sustain my attack, & it's working. I can usually get at least one 3-star cover per event, but the progress is slow enough that I haven't had too many iso shortages for the 3-star guys I'm focusing on.

e: even though I only mentioned 6 guys in my rotation, I use all the midtier+ 2-stars during my pushes. Once I wear out my A,B,C teams, I start subbing in suitable backups where it's appropriate, e.g. ares for thor, HT for Wolverine.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 20, 2014

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Even the designer hates Bag-man

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I now have 5 yellow/5 black covers from tokens/events for the Hood. 0 blue... :what:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I quit messing with the previous PVE event once I got my red lazycap because it seemed like a horrible grind just to get a 2-star cover, and of course now that char is required in an event for what looks like an actual good character. D3 are loving sadists, is what they are. <:mad:>

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Regrettable posted:

Hahaha, I just got stun-locked to death by Venom and Ragnarok 3 fights in a row with a team of characters 40 levels higher than them. The first one all I needed was to not be stunned for one turn so I could do Wind Storm and they would've been dead but nope. 11,000 points of damage without me being able to get a single attack. gently caress this game.

Yeah, I'm also getting obliterated. Moonstone is pretty nasty when she's level 140 and that gravity warp/shift thing does 4k damage instead of 500.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I got rewards for both. Not insignificant either as the 2 lazycap covers gave me my first cover-maxed 3-star. I wonder how they'll handle that if it turns out it was a glitch?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
D3 has acknowledged the glitch and everybody who got double awards gets to keep them and anybody who didn't, sorry I guess? :iiam:

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

He's apparently the 100pt reward for the upcoming Captain Marvel PvP event starting tomorrow.

100 point? Do you mean 1000? 100 points for a 3 star cover would be pretty nuts

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Finally beat the gauntlet mission to get the Marvel cover on about my 7th try. Deadpool, GSBW, & Lazythor with no OBW to slow their progression toward their massive nukes is a BITCH. The entire time my 4/0/5 Hood taunted me mercilessly.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

For fucks sake, another new character. This poo poo is getting ridiculous.

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/23607/piecing_together_marvel_puzzle_quest_mystique

PVE starts tomorrow, Heroic Juggs, followed by a PVP event.

I don't think they're going to just stop introducing new characters, especially given license they have to work with. Puzzles and dragons has thousands of characters and they still do OK. I think these pack rotations are here to stay and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they happen more frequently, say once a week or even daily instead of once per season. That's where PAD is now. If you want certain dudes, you target certain days of the week to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BGrifter posted:

The comparison doesn't work, in PAD you roll one copy of a character and you're set. In MPQ you need thirteen copies including no more than 3-5 of each ability just to level it up, nevermind getting the optimal arrangement of skill covers.

Also in PAD there's no PVP to deal with, so not having the latest and greatest monsters means it might take you a little longer to do content. In MPQ you're in danger of falling behind if you don't max out the flavour of the month. More than half the content the game churns out is PVP and what PVE content exists tends to force new characters as a requirement. Also even if it's PVE it's still a competitive reward structure punishing not having the right characters for that event.

In short the game is still a pile of poo poo.

Fair enough. I had a feeling I was missing something about how the PAD system worked. When I started that game the sheer number of characters was overwhelming and I didn't last long.

On a separate note, I'm mildly enthused about this PVE. Marvel 2-star and BP Yellow yes please.