Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pro-tip: The computer doesn't know how to match on anything but a straight line, so T-shapes are pretty good pay offs because the AI can only accidentally get a free move out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

delfin posted:

EDIT: Aw poo poo, people who attack take your points as well as your rank? Now I have to claw up these last 50 points or so before I'm identified as easy pickings.
Well, they take your points - rank is just where you are on the leaderboard for points.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

But there is a penalty - you gain considerably less points by winning on a second or third attempt than you do on the first.

I dumped five bucks over the weekend to spend on comic book space, but previously I had sold Hawkeye Classic and Black Widow Moderns for space. I regret selling the Black Widows now that we have an Avengers event and I have basically no Avengers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I haven't seen any 3-stars from the storyline, but I've placed in the top-1000 for every previous tournament just using 1-star characters, and that gets you premium currency to spend on 3/4 star heros. I feel that yeah, it's pay-to-win in PvP but there's enough non-paying players to at least reliably get into the free-premium bracket by beating them up. The paying guys are generally concentrated at the top where them beating you loses you like 2-3 points, and they're fighting over a comic-book cover they would otherwise have just bought anyway.

Fat Samurai posted:

Plus, anyone feels that having a 300 Elo prize is ridiculous when the highest-ranking player right now is 1199 Elo points?
The rankings I think do need some work - I think people will be hitting those high ratings as the game matures, but the rewards for regular PvP certainly need balancing since you're getting 1-star covers all the way up to the early 1,000s compared to tournaments where 425 gets you a special cover.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They're essentially two different characters you just can't use at the same time. For instance, although Modern and Classic both have a variation of the same "destroy tiles to deal damage/generate AP" green move, Modern has Red/Black attack stats with a red variation to destroy Environment tiles and a black move to set up special attack tiles; while Classic has Blue/Yellow attack stats with a passive damage reflector and a blue Stun/AoE. Classic is slightly better stats-wise, since she's 2 star rather than 1 star, but Modern isn't redundant because of the difference in colours and abilities.

If you're stretching for space though, 1-stars that aren't fitting in your team are the best choice regardless of whether you have another version of them or not as they will get progressively worse against better-starred covers, and you'll get plenty of them from story mode to sell for ISO when you're not using them for levels.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised by (read: scared of) the amount of damage Venom's devour attack does, even without the instakill gimmick. Is it worth to put it into the team when available?

So far I'm running IM-Modern Storm-Thor, with an eye to swapping Storms when able. Are any early heroes clearly superior and/or sale fodder? Hawkeye and Juggernaut, maybe?
I thought Devour was pretty weak, but some of the story Venoms seemed to deal good damage with it. I just levelled it to 5 and realised why - the level 10 bonus is 2x direct damage :stare:

Hawkeye's only niche is clearing tiles and setting up five-tile matches. His health is low, he has no nukes and Iron Man will be using all the red AP anyway. Juggernaut is fun but his red is only slightly more damaging than Thor's and he takes half of what it deals, while his green clears more tiles than Storms but doesn't generate AP for you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Stunning her probably prevents it as well - Daken's Pheromone Rage doesn't proc when he's stunned.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Well, it was fun I guess but gently caress that.
Most of the missions have a premium currency reward hidden in them, and you can get it from the pop-up tournaments. I've made enough from the free sources to expand my cover limit to 12 as well as buy three premium currency covers.

I wish you could trade covers because I really want a good Daken and a max level Juggernaut, but I don't really like Classic Storm which everyone seems to like.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

What's not to like about Classic Storm? She's got an amazing stun that hits everyone on the enemy team for damage, an auto counterattack that hits everyone on the enemy team and the same tile shattering attack that regular storm has, except it can also scale up with the number of ap you have.

Pyros, grenadiers and spies used to wreck my day but with Storm classic, Thor and Magneto they're just destroyed.
I like the cheaper shatter because it's generally something I use to get in some free matches rather than something I sit on and stockpile AP for in order clear special tiles because it's random and the only person who really shits up the board with special tiles is Modern Storm. Classic is also G/B/Y which are extremely easy colours to find on a team, on the occasions I've used her the reflect very rarely triggered because I tend to match to prevent nukes and focus fire the nuke character (Iron Man). Modern is weaker in basically every regard, but she has a strong Black stat, shoots out a tonne of Attack tiles, and has a Red ability that doesn't deal as much damage as Repulsor Blast but is cheap and really good at clearing the board of environmental tiles that are generally really low priority to intentionally match but often have a nice bonus activation ability.

I don't not like her because she's not a good character, she just doesn't fit my playstyle or the within the team of characters I prefer. I don't sell her off because she's not Hawkeye bad, I was just idly thinking it'd be pretty cool to trade the covers to someone like yourself who likes and uses her for a character I like and use.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

He'd certainly be a lot more improved if his Stun Arrow dealt damage and placed a 4-round stun tile, or stunned and placed a 4-round damage tile, or if his purple also reduced some of the damage dealt to him before passing it on to the rest of your team.

Hawkeye Classic is almost beyond saving as he's not even worth taking the minute you get four characters, let alone once you have two star characters.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

This is true - I automatically skip anything with three 1k+ hp people just because it takes ages to maybe scrape out a win, compared to just fighting teams worth single digits who are weak enough to fight multiples of without healing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They don't - I was really chuffed to finish up a fight and hit 500 for my card earlier in the week and immediately after the ISO reward I got a notice saying I'd been attacked and lost enough points to force me to have another battle to hit 500. Your reward points even seem to suffer from this - one of my matches I started was for 28 points and when I finished it I only got 12, presumably because they'd scraped their way up and stopped playing then gotten dogpiled by people like me seeing a weak team worth decent points.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hawkeye is kind of a joke if you focus on his trick arrows, but it seems weird that he's terrible in basically every Marvel game recently given that they cooled him up for Avengers and the comics.

I managed to get to #1 in the one-star tournament - now to take a break and start from the bottom again in a couple of hours :toot:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

God I hate him in that chapter when he gets green special tile goons, forcing you to keep inflating the poo poo out of his regular attacks just to avoid blowing up rows. :argh:

seravid posted:

So there's a DC Red Hood and a Marvel Hood-that-happens-to-be-red? Alright.
The Hood is secretly a DC character, which you can tell from the boring 'costume' to the increasingly inflated powers that went from invisible-while-he-holds-his-breath to transforming into a demon and resurrecting the dead.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That sounds baller as gently caress, but I now feel like I should grind out the Prologue covers as soon as possible.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

Noice I hit 500 points in the current tourney and got 500 gold thingies
I hit 600 and got a Hawkeye :woop:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The trick is having a level 30+ Iron Man :getin:

(Iron Man seriously needs nerfing or other people's damage skills need buffing because he is the cornerstone of every single team I see)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

poo poo, I was gonna log in the last 5 minutes to make sure I stayed in my prize bracket. No loving idea where I am now - I can only hope my competition made the same mistake.

Terrible for those of you who couldn't get to 500 :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It does 40 damage at level 1, so it looks more like Mjolnir's Might-level damage rather than Repulsor Blast.

His base Yellow protect tiles say they are only 5 strength though.

Holy poo poo, his Red/Blue abilities let you select which tile becomes the countdown :stare:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

If you're just starting you probably don't have much space to hoard covers though.

I'd actually pile up the ISO instead and spend covers to get over 6/11 in the skills - the ISO will give you access to more covers, and each time you upgrade skills you're gonna have a level cap increase of 5, which is a chunk of ISO to get back to cap. I wouldn't worry too hard about the covers from the prologue since even if they remove 75% of the covers from the missions you'd still have enough to get a max skill Iron Man/Widow/Hawkeye/Storm Modern.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm a horrible collector and can report that at 15 slots the cost for slots goes up to 150 coins.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The trick is to remember that Bullseye's bones only protect him when he's not stunned, so you line up a bunch of matches, cold-clock him, and then go to town on the protect tiles.

Shwqa posted:

But it does have max of 3 tiles. Maybe that goes up with levels though....
It goes up by 1 each level until level 5 makes it completely unlimited.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah, it's a weird skill. It's really bloody hard to get 5 web tiles in play just for Devour, but keeping 7 in play just so that if someone does gets a streak it removes a single special tile? Impossible.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

I am getting my rear end kicked in this latest tournament. I'm not too surprised I was beaten, though I am a little surprised I was entered, considering I don't have any Dark Avengers cards at all.
I'm doing decently enough since I had a high-20s Venom already that I've been levelling through the tournament, and I cranked up a level 20 Yelena just because she's boosted to hell during it. I think I'm mostly getting skipped by people farming the poor bastards with level 6 Daken/Yelena/Bullseyes as I haven't been attacked much except for this morning - I lost 0 rating, so I checked the leaderboard and the guy is on like 900+ points with the next down being ~600 :stare:

vvv you goddamn fool

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 28, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Eddain posted:

Does anyone bother leveling up two of the same card? Like, your first card is completely maxed and you're just working on the second copy for your backup PVP team or something?
I hosed up my Iron Man (5/4/4) and was thinking of levelling another if I ever get space in my rapidly OCD comicbook collection. I had a spare blue cover to start, but I sold it to add Moonstone to the roster.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's almost always just an extra direct damage mop up for me, which is why I regret that I hosed up and levelled it to 4 - the stun is very rarely as much use as the fact that it deals almost twice as much as Repulsor Blast. Cap/Widow both have cheaper stuns so they're available when you actually need a stun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

McDragon posted:

Oh, I thought Model 40 would be a Darkvengers Iron Man. Everyone else gets one.
Iron Man and Captain America both get the same one, which is Iron Patriot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

His Blue can be upgraded to the point where it destroys literally the entire board, the Purple at level 1 regularly gets you a free move/critical combination and at level 5 gives you enough tiles to make one yourself, and his Red goes from a 3-turn countdown damager to a 1-turn miniature blue with direct damage component. He's pretty sweet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

At this point the game has changed from "man, I need new covers - time to dump ISO in the slot machine" to "man, every single character I have is 10 levels below cap because I have way more covers than ISO"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Stickman posted:

The PvP interface seems to be randomly wrong about the opposing team's composition. Taking on a Spidey with a L1 blue web is very different from L5, game!
I've had this a few times where I'm like "Iron Man with only Red/Yellow? Easy" and halfway through he loving freezerbeams me for an unexpected 1k stun that turns the tide. It's much nicer when you find out their Daken doesn't in fact have the Green Strike ability.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah, I've basically given up on a high ranking simply because every team worth more than single digits is some level 50+ C.Storm with a Thor hiding behind her. The other teams have level 40+ Iron Mans behind their C.Storm

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Model 40 took me up to 22 slots. I have a collection issue.

On a brighter note, I just logged in to a "You have reached 400!" Message and an Iron Man. Some poor bastard lost to me so badly I got a whole 37 points for it. :getin:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I didn't like the lightning rounds because they always took place between 10am-3pm for me, so I basically got a lunch hour to grind as much as possible for a participant's reward.

Also, I really need to turn my facebook email notifications off because I get all excited that someone's talking to me and it keeps being just my fake facebook making a dozen friends a day.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I've done testing on and off but it seems like it just uses eldritch magic. Some people when boosted have more than 3 match score, so they win - but when everyone's on 3 it doesn't consistently go to whoever has the highest critical, and it doesn't consistently go to whoever has the highest or lowest level, or whoever's in a specific place on the team, or whoever the highest star is. About the only consistent thing I've seen is it always goes to a guest character if you have one.

For instance, I made a team out of level 1 Hawkeye (4.5x), 24 M.Magneto (3.2x) and 38 X-Force Wolverine (4x). Wolverine got the match, regardless of where he was positioned - if I swapped him out for a 25 Yelena (4x), Hawkeye got the match. If I substituted in a level 9 M.Hawkeye (4.5x), Wolverine kept the match. If I swapped in a level 14 Astonishing Wolverine (4x), Wolverine kept the match.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I've never seen it change within a fight without a KO - it's always picked someone and stayed with them until they're dead. I basically just idly tried to find an exception for every rule I could think of and figured it was either a combination of stats that determined ties or just their internal ID.

Fallorn posted:

So why isn't it the person who gets the biggest Environment number spider man classic is 4 at lvl 15 every one else I have is 3.
It has been every time I've seen it - I think the last time Yelena was boosted she got like a 6 tile bonus and she was selected every time, but she was also boosted so maybe that was it. I don't have a C.Spider-man or anybody else who has more than a natural 3 :smith:

JHVH-1 posted:

Here is what I really want to know... When are they going to add The Hulk?
I'm quite curious what their character schedule looks like - the variants like Model 40, Bag-Man, Classic/Modern show that theoretically anything is up for grabs which is really cool, but there's still some core Dark Avengers characters that are missing and I'm wondering if they're holding them for a 'Chapter One' tab, and if so how far away it is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Skill level 1 doesn't get you levels. Thor will go up when one of those goes to 2, and Wolverine won't go up when you get his missing skill.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I fat fingered levelling a skill with gold.

It was Hawkeye, purple.

It was the fifth level, so my cover was then useless and I basically bought 100 ISO with gold. :negative:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The Juggernaut tourney is loving amazing though. Very rarely is anybody using Juggernaut himself, so matches are basically just matching gems against Storm until she goes down, one-shotting the Thor and then mopping up whatever useless support character is left.

It will be less fun without levelling heals, but still - Juggers can take down a good two-three Thors with his boosted headbutts before KOing. If only Protect tiles reduced the damage he took.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I finished a quick match for the final 3 points I needed to hit 900 in Free For All - only to be greeted by a screen telling me I'd lost 57 points and was back in the mid-80s :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

After taking a closer look at Venom, I now realize his eyes aren't white. Over 20 years of my life have been a lie.
It's only been like that recently as it's The Scorpion under there rather than the original Venom, Eddie Brock.