Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The boosts are per-tournament, so Jugg is still boosted in the Free-For-All Arena, but not in the Iron Man one, and vice-versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was 20 points away from 2nd with <1 minute displayed on the clock, won a fight for 28 but it just dropped back to mission screen since the Free For All was over. Now the suspense is killing me as to whether that counted or not :ohdear:

I'll get a top 50 prize :suicide:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fritzler posted:

What do you guys think is the best cover build for Magneto (Marvel Now). I have him at 0/3/3. I just got another red cover, but I'm not sure if I should try to max out his red or his blue ability? (Definitely maxing out the purple one). Should I just use it because I am not going to get that many magnetos?
I haven't decided between 5/4/4 and 4/5/4.

Definitely keeping the Red below 4 as that keeps the cost of his nuke below five matches. Blue at 4 at least the cost is three matches, but it's entirely down to the positioning as to how much damage it does compared to 5 where it kills the whole board regardless. Purple the only difference between level 4 and level 5 is 1 extra tile, and I've got it at level 4 at the moment and I more regularly than not am able to make two five-match blue setups, so I'm prevaricating on whether or not it's worth taking that extra one when it's the Blue level I'd be giving up for it.

Also, MN.Magneto is great with Iron Man 40's blue missiles. I just need someone who can help me stall (because my Bullseye/C.Storm are low level) until I match/create 20 blues and then he basically KOs the entire enemy team.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Now that the Juggernaut tourney's over, spare a thought for those poor bastards with useless overlevelled Juggernauts.
I've been using mine for grinding the Prologue missions - him and Thor are like a human centipede of gem matching.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think they hosed something up, I haven't been able to see the Iron Man 40 for the last couple of hours, it just says "No missions are currently available" so I figured maybe it just ended early. At least it seems to have for me. :smith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm loving the poo poo out of Model 40 except for the bug where he's not being properly boosted in the tournament, leaving my actual support guys with ~1k health to tank all the damage because they're in their 40s and he's not. So far my strategy has just been to equip a +3 Blue/Purple boost, use Magneto Now to match blues and purples until he has enough purples to make more blues, then I fire the Model 40's rockets which one shot everything on the other team that isn't a level 50+ Thor.

I'd be solid if my Bullseye wasn't level 14 because of a lack of covers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It was everything before the mid-Juggernaut update, I don't know if they've changed it intentionally.
Outside a match he has like 19 attack on Red, but inside the match it says he has almost 60 but all the Reds are being matched by Modern Storm who has low 20s. If I match a Red critical, it will be a Storm critical for ~200, but if I match something where Model 40 is the attacker (usually Yellow) it will be based on his boosted attack unless it's a critical in which case it takes the boosted attack scores into account and does like 1500 damage. It's that that makes me think maybe it's just using the wrong variable in the calculation.

If it's intentional it basically changes the boosted tournaments from a way of advertising a new character by juicing them up so they seem really attractive to get, to an exercise in trying to win with two good characters and a Hawkeye.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 11, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Buffed Thor? Jeez, you have got to be kidding me. I chose to max Storm first then Thor. I'm in for a world of pain this week. My Thor is only 4/3/2 right now. :sigh:
Mine's 5/3/3 and level 28, ISO mistakes were made :smithicide:

Erebus posted:

I never cashed in my Model 40 ticket and now it's just gone. Welp, they could've mentioned it was disappearing the moment the tournament was over.
Send them an email, they seem pretty good about restoring lost poo poo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurkers :argh:

Don't cull me, I desperately need ISO and have a sweet Magneto profile pic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I got defeated while I was getting surprise-striked by a low level Wolverine/Daken combo that I thought I could take even while my Thor was fairly injured. Lost 36 points - and moved up 12 places on my bracket's ladder :smug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

delfin posted:

Juggernaut's not a mutant. His powers are magical in nature.
BY THE CRIMSON BANDS OF CYTTORAK

They need to throw tags on covers I think for non-nerd accessibility and also because I remember when they had their 'Avengers-only' tournament they included people who were like honorary Avengers for a single storyline while excluding people who were a core member at some point.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The helmet just protects against psychic attacks. Juggernaut introduced as a foe for Professor X, except he was created during a period in the X-Men where Xavier was amorally mind-wiping entire towns and the families of his students, so they gave him a magic psychic-proof helmet in order to have the X-Men actually be useful in those issues. :spergin:

e: Cyclop's dad is a space pirate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

What's the good way to contact the devs again?

I wanted to check on my Thor results because I never got a prize and I was in the top 10 for my bracket when I ran out of heals and can't believe that I dropped that far out of it in the last hour when that morning I lost 300 points and didn't even drop out of the top 50.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Eddain posted:

I tried using my 3* team of Grey Widow, Iron Man M40, and Doom. Every match takes loving forever and really not worth it.
My only 3 stars are Grey Widow, IM40 and a 1-cover Ragnarok. My Iron Man is level 50 4/1/2 though, so he easily carried me to the 275 prize simply because almost every fight was against people with unlevelled 3-stars that did dick-all damage until I accrued 20 blues at which point he did 950+ damage to every single enemy, invariably finishing the fight.

I would like to stop receiving Thors and Dakens though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Erebus posted:

Was Iron Man always boosted for the heroic Juggernaut event? I don't remember it happening before and it really makes a big difference.
Yeah, he was.

e: Model 40 was, not the Model 35.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ sob

The points in Hardmode missions were all dynamic based on your relative place in your bracket and how many points other people in the same place had in other brackets, balancing each individual bracket out against the overall scores.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hogama posted:

Huh. I got the same, but in my case I know I actually was a top 75 finisher and never got my prizes when the tourney ended.
I don't know where I finished but I put in a ticket earlier in the week about not getting a prize pop up, and I got this email an hour ago -

quote:

Hello!

We have implemented a fix that should have just sent out the missing rewards for the Thor tournament.
If you don't receive them the next time you boot up the game please let us know!
So I'd say it was a wide-spread problem.

triplexpac posted:

What's the ideal Modern Storm build?
5 Green. Everything else is personal choice - 5R is good if you're not saving those reds for direct damage like 90% of teams are set up to do, 4R gets the cost down to two matches only, but 3R has the exact same effect and does the exact same damage as the others for 1 more AP. 3B-5B does more damage and ties up more tiles for each point and doesn't conflict with the majority of your direct damage.
I personally went 5/3/5 because if I'm spending red to clear out environment tiles for a fixed damage per tile I want lots of environment tiles at once so it's timing that matters more than cost, and most of the time - outside of triggering an exceptionally heavy cascade - it's more damage to just spend that cost directly on a Mjolnir or Repulsor Blast.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 20, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The forest is just the best stage. I hated it when I just started because it was like 10% of a character's health, but now it's by far the best bang for your buck, especially if someone is silly enough to take a Daken/Wolverine into a Loki lightning round.

Also, critical tile + environment tile + boosted character = it's raining red, hallelujah.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's the lower left one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jibo posted:

Someone make a mod for this game that auto targets classic storm so I can stop wiping my drat team about three times per lightning round.
The best part is when you have her targeted and Call The Storm comes up so you're like "sweet, press that button!" ~your team goes down~

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I just won a game against Guest Magneto, 85 Thor, 80 Wolverine on literally the first turn thanks to starting with a 5-match environment tile :toot:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ugh, #17 on 3-star and I got creamed by a board churning Ragnarok/Grey Widow. Time for a top 50 prize.

e: omg I actually stayed in the top 25

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 23, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Shwqa posted:

Honestly moonstone isn't great and 10s of thousands of iso, 300+ hp, and 20+ standard token is going to help you a lot more. IM40 isn't a bad hero, such he is slow, but he is a huge wall and getting 20 blue isn't unheard of.
I had him paired with Magneto Now in a previous tournament and it was really easy to organise getting 20 blue even though I didn't have level 2 Recharge at the time. IM40 was boosted as well, so getting 20 blue was literally all I needed to win a match. Having used him since on his own with Recharge 2 I was still regularly getting enough blues just from matching and charging his laser.

Also, Captain America is loving fantastic in Heroic Venom. I had him at level 40 and he's basically carried everyone else through every single mission despite them being at base level barring Wolverine who was like ~20 and is also now in his 40s. Even against the 12k hp Venom he was a beast just churning through shield after shield until I got to the point where I had enough blue to keep him permanently stun-locked as long as I earned a single blue gem every third turn. Especially with Wolverine spamming out strike tiles every time the red shield came home.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I've done testing on and off but it seems like it just uses eldritch magic. Some people when boosted have more than 3 match score, so they win - but when everyone's on 3 it doesn't consistently go to whoever has the highest critical, and it doesn't consistently go to whoever has the highest or lowest level, or whoever's in a specific place on the team, or whoever the highest star is. About the only consistent thing I've seen is it always goes to a guest character if you have one.

For instance, I made a team out of level 1 Hawkeye (4.5x), 24 M.Magneto (3.2x) and 38 X-Force Wolverine (4x). Wolverine got the match, regardless of where he was positioned - if I swapped him out for a 25 Yelena (4x), Hawkeye got the match. If I substituted in a level 9 M.Hawkeye (4.5x), Wolverine kept the match. If I swapped in a level 14 Astonishing Wolverine (4x), Wolverine kept the match.
And that was followed by someone saying they saw Daken getting tiles over a guest Spider-Man.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

delfin posted:

So what if everyone's tied, as often happens with normal characters (3 - 3 - 3)? In that case, the character in the center gets the nod. Or should. I have yet to see anything too bizarre that violates the above.

I just tested out Hawkeye Modern (middle) - Magneto Grey - X-Force Wolverine, matched three environment tiles and Hawkeye got the lead.
I tested that exact group and M.Hawkeye got the lead, which was counter to previous tests including him - which admittedly were many patches ago - and Wolverine took it when I swapped him into the center; however, I swapped out Magneto Now and put Storm Modern in the center and she did not take the environment tiles: they went to Wolverine who was on the left.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

MeramJert posted:

e: It might have been a bug since it only happened once even though I repeated that fight. I've seen a couple weird ones, like the other day I had enough red AP to use Mjolnir's Might but it wouldn't let me use it until I got 12 red AP, then I could suddenly use it twice.
Was it after an IM40 Recharge? I've noticed several times when it adds its AP the UI doesn't update the abilities properly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You can look - if you try to see the scores it tells you there's "no scores for this leaderboard" because it hasn't put you in one yet.

And yes - you drop places quickly in the last twenty minutes, especially if your bracket is closely packed. I've gone from top 15 to top 200 in ten minutes before.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think 5/5/3 is objectively The Best Way unless you have another character that uses Purple/Black that you want to use him as support for. I could see Recharge/Aggressive Recon combo being a pain in the rear end, but it's a heavy outlay to get there - the 2 AP difference between level 1 and level 2 Recharge is really significant when most of the time you're just spending it on powering Mjolnir's Might's.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That and while Star-Spangled does mediocre damage it does it over and over again. He syncs up well with Astonishing Wolverine because Feral Claws is only ever one or two turns away from another injection of red AP for two-three extra strike tiles.

The one thing that he excels at above every other character is handling countdown tiles though, so he mostly shines in fights with lots of them (PvE).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Erebus posted:

I think the Hood and Moonstone are the only two characters currently available that have never been in a movie (Yelena and Daken haven't either, but the game classifies them in terms of more famous characters who have). I wonder if they're trying to stick to more commonly known characters because this is a free phone game with broader appeal than something like Marvel Heroes where everyone wants to play Squirrel Girl.

That said, I guess we can at least expect a Rocket Raccoon next summer.
It's possible, but on the other hand it launched with Bag-Man who, despite being Spider-Man, is kind of an obscure gag and dredged up Original Black Widow all while missing core Dark Avengers like Sentry, Noh-Varr and Iron Patriot. Their character roster so far has been completely unpredictable outside of the ones needed for the storyline. The Hood has a mysteriously large part in Marvel Heroes to the point where I figured he's just someone at Marvel's pet character that they're trying to push into everything.

That said, I'd rather have quirky or silly characters like Mole Man or The Watcher over uninteresting nobodies like Sentry or Noh-Varr.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Deep Winter posted:

Shoving Hood in everything because he's a lead editor's pet peeve? Sounds like how cyborg went from the Teen Titans hacker token black wise-cracker to a founding member of the Justice League.
Yeah, The Hood went from a guy with a Harry Potter invisibility cloak and walk-on-air-booties petty thief to a Dormmamu-backed sorcerer more powerful than Dr. Strange leading a crime syndicate of supervillains.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

delfin posted:

Well, for the most part it wasn't really that much work; one pass through Venom Heroic every twelve hours with a nice ISO / token reward each time. The repeatable today was an unpleasant surprise.
Yeah, that's what I did and ended up top 10 on the final day. The repeatable isn't too bad in my bracket - it looks like only 3 of us really care about jockeying for first/second so it'll probably come down to whoever can sneak in the last match to steal first as it's impossible to get an actual lead while there when the next person down gets 20 times your points.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm hoping for a top 2 prize as well. Dropped to #3 in the last few minutes and #4 was more than 300 points down. Finished my match and got a first-completion prize so best case scenario it went through and me and #2 get to 2 by last minute leapfrog.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

MeramJert posted:

I just joined the Red ISO event. This is one of those fabled slacker brackets, isn't it?
My bracket looked just like that when I joined it until 40 minutes later when the top 60 were all past 400 points.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I found myself a whale for Reinforcements. :toot:
Poor bastard is always ~200 points above me so I get 30-40 points for beating him, and he keeps attacking back. I guess because he has an 11k Captain and 9k IM40 he thinks it's taking a lot for me to beat him, but it's actually only 100 ISO of AP boosts to nuke down his non-maxed Thor and then I barely get scratched because I just deny him the only two colours he can mount attacks with.

ImperialGuard posted:

I just got into my first Classic Storm duel, hillarious poo poo. Got enough red AP that my Thor could nuke down their Thor and IM40. Good thing medkits replenish as quickly as they do these days.
Goons have been mailing me medkits faster than I can actually use them today - both events have boosted Captain Americas so he's taking every single gem that isn't Wolverine Green, and it's very rare that I need to use more than a single heal for anything but a complete wipe.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ X-Force Wolverine's strength is basically that he has the highest level cap in the game (until Invisible Woman) and therefore should basically beast all over everyone else. It's balanced by the fact that it's hard to get more than a single cover for him, and like most characters his base special abilities are fairly middling with only 1/2 points in them.

SchwarzKreuz posted:

What types of team comps are people using for the reinforcement tournament? I'm thinking of trying IM40, Widow (Classic) and Storm Classic when I start it tomorrow.
I have a 62 Wolverine, 61 Captain America and 63 Iron Man 40.

They run pretty well together considering the lack of Blue/Purple/Black attack stats - Wolverine pumps out strike tiles and eats what special attacks he can (since he only gets to match greens he gets good mileage out of regen), Cap plays with the reds and blues while waiting for Iron Man to finish a Recharge, at which point the team dumps something in the range of 8-14k damage worth of special attacks.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 29, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BDawg posted:

Been playing for about a week. What's the best way to move past my intro one star characters? I have Iron Man 35, Storm and Black Widow at high 30, low 40s. I've found a few Moonstones and have Cap to nearly 30. Do I just keep doing events or is the something to focus on?
Keeping a foot in the events is always good - even if you find you can't go far, you'll get ISO and some recruit tokens for participating in almost all of them.

Most of the one-star villains are available in the later Prologue missions, and you'll start getting the two-star heroes from there as well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Even though it's Spider-Man's worst colour you should definitely keep it because he's pretty good and you'd want at least 3 of them eventually to get max level.

Moonstone is kind of 'meh', but still more of a keeper than Classic Hawkeye - even if you're an idiot collector like me and want one of everyone just in case, you will never experience a drought of Hawkeye covers once you've got a team that does decently in events. I'd sit on it to see if you get the gold from the Red Iso or Prologue missions for a new slot, but if she's about to expire I'd sell that Hawkeye to put her in.

Classic Hawkeye is easily the least powerful character in the game. His only strong point is Arrow Stab is a good countdown remover in PvE, but it takes red AP away from your main direct damage abilities like Repulsor Blast and Mjolnir's Might, while Modern Storm and Juggernaut are both less accurate at it but will shake up the board for much cheaper and without hindering your nuking abilities.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah unfortunately pretty much the only thing you can should spend money on is buying some HPs to get slots. I'd throw them $10 if it got me enough ISO to level or even mostly level a character because it would mean I didn't have to grind Shield Training, but it's $15 at the moment for a single level. And the slot machine is basically broken for spending because at least when you needed 50 covers there were much less redundant covers you'd be selling at a significant loss of real cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

What I did to get first in the Reinforcements was try to keep ~1-5 the whole day, and to do so by only attacking people who were a dozen or so points above the current #1 in my bracket, and once I took first I stopped fighting. That way I kept pace with my pack, I was worth the minimum amount of points to other people attacking, and then in the last 10-15 minutes I just attacked solidly anybody that had more points than me to get a good lead on #3 to protect from last minute losses or bracket member wins.