Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I don't know about the bonuses, but for a semi new player these lightning rounds are a godsend for grinding iso in short bursts. Playing for progression rewards and not worrying about rank, you can make about 1000 iso with 4 or 5 quick matches every 2 hours if you choose not to use boosts.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm torn on Divine Champions. I could use both OBW and Punisher covers. That said, I sure could loving use some Thor covers. I basically only have whatever covers you get from the PVE missions so mine is maxed at 37 and here is everyone rocking 60+ Thors that are boosted are scary fuckers.

My Thor is stuck at 30 so I'm with you on needing covers badly. I just got a 2nd Punisher cover from a heroic token from the daily rewards but i think I would prefer the OBW ones from Divine Champions.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
So in Divine Champions, I attacked some guy who is at 1100 points when I was at about 250 points getting me over 40. He retailiates and I lose 1 whole point and get a retaliation back for 49. Why do people even bother retaliating against lower ranks?

And back on the Thor covers thing, I feel like I am at a catch 22. There are two covers sitting there taunting me in the SHIELD Training progression rewards, but I kind of need more Thor covers to get there as Iron Man 35 just doesn't really cut it once I get to about 1000 points.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

LorneReams posted:

How do you retaliate? Is it an option somewhere?

When someone's team beats yours, instead of a yellow icon in the match select screen, they show up with a red icon.

e: Wow, beaten twice.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I ended up working my way up to the 50HP progression reward and just yielded my way down to #46.

I just snuck in after having my entire team wiped by a chain cascade that wouldn't end as Storm Classic kept feeding it. This happened 45 minutes out with no heals and no heroes to use. I revived my Storm Modern after the Heal regenreated and went in with IM35 as I couldn't heal up Thor too. Managed to beat that 1100 point guy I mentioned earlier as I had put off that match and 49 points got me to #72 :)

e: Now I just need 25 HC more to open up another character slot.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

The difficulty goes up and the reward drops down on each one you beat.

The difficulty drops back down if you lose too. Replay a mission with a team of trash 1 stars and immediately retreat.

It seems to globally drop the missions with a loss but losing two of the same one in a row doesn't give you a second drop. Switching to another mission seems to give you the second drop though.

Just got all mine back to trivial / easy so getting all the 500 iso rewards should be pretty easy.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

trucutru posted:

I finished in 5th in the last event (got myself a yellow Patch cover). I cleared all levels besides the last, since I don't have a grey widow, until their reward dropped to 1 point. That's how.

Seriously, lose a couple of matches on purpose and the npcs lose levels. It doesn't seem to drop the payouts at all.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Yep, really. I just tested it on Anderson biotechnic 6. I picked my lowest 3 characters, started the match and immediately retreated. They were all level 51 to start and after they were at 45.

I'm not sure this works across the board but there is some level of difficulty drop on a loss and it seems to be global, just like how winning raises difficulty globally.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Yeah, I posted about this happening on the last page too. I did a little testing and it seems that losing the same match twice in a row doesn't give you a second drop but due to how it seems to drop globally, mixing up your losses between different matches does.

I'm not sure if it works on all matches as some may be set difficulty, I can't test them all as I don't have all the characters needed to do all the later missions.

e: Missions probably have a set minimum so the later ones probably won't drop noticeably to me anyway.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 26, 2014

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

trucutru posted:

I got a Moonstone, 2-star Wolverine, and a blue spidey. Of course, I don't have cover space left so I am tempted to drop :10bux: for it.

Edit:

So, after a week of playing I have:

5/2/3 modern storm
5/5/3 IM35
5/5 modern BW
5/3 Juggs
1/0/1 Patch
Blue Doom
Blue Hood
1/0/2 Thor
2/0/0 Ast. Wolverine
1/1/0 Moonstone
black bullseye
3/0 venom

And covers for 2-star magneto, punisher, spidey, and classic storm.

Not bad, but without that patch I somehow got I would be screwed.

Juggernaut and Venom both have covers in the late prologue and drop like flies out of heroic tokens so unless you are planning on using them now, you can sell them to fit other, better covers in.

Edit: List of drops from the prologue here

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Man, to hell with the covers, how do you guys even get enough ISO to level up these characters? Between having to use 3 boosts for every fight, pvp or pve because I get matched up against opponents with a combined level over 3 times my own, and the fact that even a 500 ISO reward is only good for two or three cover levels even early on, I have no idea how everyone is finding the ISO to get the 140/140/115 teams I keep having to fight.

People are willing to pay real money to level up.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
To be fair I got most of my ISO for leveling from the Lightning Rounds. You can grind out about 1000 ISO with 4 or 5 matches every 2 hours. You do need to be able to win without boosts, but thats not too hard when almost every matchup at the start is worth 25+ points so you can cherry pick your matches.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Most of my ISOs came from back when Facebook still gave big amounts. Now it's down to less than 1k a day.

But I have 95 Health Packs. :v:

Is this from people sharing win rewards, or something else?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Roster slots are the only thing I spend HC on. It's all about the collection even Bagman.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Phenotype posted:

(Actually, I got a yellow Spiderman off the tokens, which means I have him at 3/5/4(!), but he was already 95% effective when I got 5 blue, so I would have preferred virtually anything else. For some reason, I always pull Spiderman when I get lucky. Shouldn't complain, but my playable roster still isn't growing.)

I wish I could get any more covers for Spider Man, i've only got the 1 yellow. I have been lucky with Patch so far and have 4 or 5 for him but not having a decent spiderman has lost me 1st place twice now in these rounds of PVE. The last two rounds have had high paying missions with Spiderman and I am only falling 30 or so points behind so far.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Varinn posted:

I just don't get why people get so CRAZY paranoid about the devs of this game. Like every single time they do anything, it's for some crazy sinister Machiavellian way to steal your money. If you're that concerned that the devs are antagonistically balancing the game, don't spend any money on it! I havent spent a dime, and I do pretty decently for myself, especially since they enabled standard tokens to technically have a chance to pull rare covers.

I just now got a Grey Widow cover off a standard cover token that I got from a pve mission reward. Pretty happy about that.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
My Thor is sitting at 3/4/2 at the moment. 3/5/5 definitely looks like the best path now right?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Karnegal posted:

I'm talking about PvE exclusively. There are 100 levels above a level 30 still is over 100 levels shy of some of the guys you're fighting. Without Spierman for stunlocking, I don't see how you can possibly cope with 240 teams, especially some like triple magia thug - as one tommy gun from any of 3 guys wipes your team. Any Ares 240, should also wipe you before you can kill him.

I have yet to see any enemy in PVE that is at level 240 and I am sitting at #17 in my bracket for Thick as Thieves with less than 3 weeks played. Losing PVE matches definitely works for dropping the difficulty. Getting your team wiped works faster than just retreating and as has been posted before, there are set matches that let you use preset heroes so you don't burn through your spare characters as fast. It is a lot harder now that Patch is fixed and the +3 all boost costs hero points so I'm not sure how it will go now.

I have noticed that I have had other people lose to my team a few times now in the Punisher event. It is probably due to lack of boosts and it may lessen crabbing as an issue so I'm not too unhappy if this is how it plays out.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Yeah, that's totally reasonable. It's the ones where they have nothing over 40 because even killing your guys only drops levels so much. I have 33 men in my roster and I've eradicated over 50% of it, and I still have people in the 100's-200's on the impossible missions. I feel like they have to be cheating. I'd want to see a video of someone clearing 240 guys regularly with a low power non-spiderman team.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about, how is this guy above me?

Please tell me how this guy beats a 3 hero ares team that is over 200?

He doesn't face Ares at over 200. Highest I have seen Ares in this PVE event is 196 and with losses I have always been able to bring it down to at least around level 110. With a few exceptions, I have only really faced sub level 100s with most encounters around the level 60 mark. With luck, boosts and his BWO stealing and healing, it's not that bad.

I'm pretty sure this will not happen as much now that boosts are not purely ISO as I can't see many people paying 100 hero points to beat PVE.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

The real problem isn't that healing is too strong, it's that you have to heal in order to even be able to play the game. Persistent damage needs to go away immediately, especially if they want to keep dropping 230 level enemy teams on our heads. Healing isn't a magical comeback mechanism inside of a match, it's something you do before you win the match so that you can continue to play more matches, which is bullshit of the highest order.

I can kind of understand the healing mechanic in PVP as it plays into a risk/reward type of system when choosing who you can potentially fight, and adds an incentive to minimise damage to your team. In PVE it makes less sense as you are not playing against peoples teams directly and only trying to get the high score. Once they add the skip tax in PVP I'm not sure how I will feel about it.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Not if you use a healer. If you play spiderman or OBW, you generally end a fight at full health or you die.

You don't always get the chance though. If Ares takes himself out and is the last character, you can't do anything but carry that damage through to the next match or use a heal.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

messagemode1 posted:

You can just enter a basic oscorp mission with obw and spidey to full heal at no risk.

If you have them...

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

If you don't you are by definition still in the early game.

Fair call, but if you are not end game then it certainly makes a difference. Most of the people playing will not be anywhere near the end game so you are talking about a minority of players who can get around the heal system.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Russad posted:

Can't you still go to one of the Venom prologue levels that has a Spider-man with blue and yellow powers team up?

Heh, I totally forgot that was even a thing.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Anyone else notice that PvP skips now cost iso? I almost didnt see it.

Not on mine though I did have it pop up the other day for a brief time.

It shouldn't be active yet according to this
http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3188

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

trucutru posted:

At least it is not the jungle. I've had OBW/Storm do four cycles of cascades -> thorny rose, before killing me.

It really is a crapshoot facing Storm Modern in the jungle. The amount of times I thought I had a match in the bag, only for her to grab all the environment tiles followed by a cascade and lightning bolt cycle of doom is infuriating.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Holy poo poo, mission 4 in the easy training room has 5000 iso as its reward.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I'm rolling with Storm/Loki/IM40, IM eats the reds I generate and his yellow feeds Storm's green and blue. I need to get that last Storm green cover to double her tile destruction.

It doesn't double it. It takes it from 6 tiles + 1 for every 2 green AP to a flat 1 for each green AP. If you only have 12 green, it is destroying the same amount of tiles. Where it makes a difference is when you go over 12 green.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Oh, I missed that. Still worth taking over 4 yellow I assume?

I think it is. If you have some breathing space you can bank it up and really clear the board. A few matches ago, I managed to save up 24 green AP, hit the board for 24 tiles then hit it again for about 14.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Lofty132 posted:

I played like three rounds in the double tap tournament and ended up in the top 400. I don't know if that means the player base is shrinking or what.

The top runners in my bracket were 900+. I shielded 3 hours out at about 750 in 12th place and got overtaken to end somewhere in the top 45. I think a lot of people have been concentrating on the PVE event instead as the rewards for that are pretty awesome.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Bruceski posted:

So instead of enemy levels going up and down when I win or lose, I can sit here and watch them swing between level 100 and 200 overnight, then back again by lunch. Without me doing a thing.

Is this progress?

It sounds like it is working more like they intended. If a lot of people are not finishing missions, they should drop gradually. If they fine tune the scaling some more, and stop it from ramping up the difficulty so fast, it could actually work out to be an ok system.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
So now that the respec system has been announced, it makes sense to put every cover you get on your characters as this lets you level them up while waiting for the covers you actually want. I wish I still had that Red Thor cover I sold last week as I would have had him up to level 85 while waiting to swap it out for the green when I get it.

The only time it doesn't make sense to do this is if you don't want to make abilities more expensive to use like OBW's purple.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wow, a decent haul from Tokens for once. Daken (already maxed), Loki Purple and Hulk Black.

I got 2 Captain Americas and a three star Magneto Classic from my Highly Trained tokens from the easy PVE event. I already have my Cap finished but the Magneto will come in handy.

I only got the basic tokens from the hard event but managed to pull a Green Patch so I'm pretty stoked about that.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

trucutru posted:

Silly you, it's gonna cost 50,000 ISO or something like that (for a 3-star character) to respec.

quote:

Bruce Banner’s research on the Gamma Bomb have paid off in an unexpected way. Using Iso-8 as its base, a new style of energy reactor has been created with Gamma Bomb technology. Anyone that is within range of these controlled environments when the reactor is active has found themselves able to alter the strength of their abilities, but at a cost to another one of their strengths. S.H.I.E.L.D. technologists have termed this phenomenon a “Power Shift”, although SHIELD Field Agents have taken to calling it a “Respec”
o Power Shifting may only be done to a character that has 13/13 abilities
o Using an ability comic (or paying the Hero Point cost) for the power desired, an Agent may choose to add a point to that power while reducing one of the other powers by one point.

Silly you, there is no mention of an iso cost.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Heh, true but this is an announced thing and not an "oops, we forgot to tell you" thing.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
So Classic Storm's blue power in this event is amazing. I managed to get her to level 85 due to all the iso-8 it throws at you, and because she is boosted she does 2420 to the whole enemy team and stuns one for 4 turns. Most matches end as soon as I manage to get 11 blue.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Small server side patch today. Cap's yellow got buffed.

quote:

Characters
- Captain America (Modern): Sentinel of Liberty - Raised the strength of Protect tiles placed by this ability across the board.
Old -> New
Level 6, Ability level 1: 6 -> 13
Level 85, Ability level 5: 95 -> 150

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
From what I have read, you have a hidden match making level that goes up as you win matches, and down as you lose them. When the game matches you with other players it picks ones in the same rough level as you.

This breaks because people skip matches they can't win so their match masking level is artificially high, giving them tons of opponents much higher than them.

At least, that is how it's supposed to work. How it actually works is anyone's guess.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

A 40% increase in protect value for 0 tiles is not a buff.

Yeah, I know it will still never get used, I just thought it was interesting.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

In this latest event, all my opponents are level 50 and beyond while my usable characters are at level 6. The whole matchmaking system seems terribly broken.

It is.

I think shielding helps break it. Before it was ok because you could attack shielded players, still gain points and they would just not lose any, but now it pretty much takes them out of the rotation for attacking them. This means that, because people with more points tend to shield up when not playing, everyone else is stuck fighting lower level players or people too scary to attack unless you have a maxed roster. It also means that when you are actively playing, once you have gotten more points, it makes you a more common target so you get hit with crabbing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

If Invisible Woman turns invisible and is in the second slot, you cant scroll past her to target anyone behind her! In effect she's shielding two people!

Oh god if she's the last one standing AND invisible AND the invisibility tile is in a horrible spot, you'll be doing nothing to her til you can get rid of that tile! Fuuuuuuugh

Area damage still hits her. I've been using Thor's green and Storm's blue powers to nuke her when invisible.