Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Desuwa posted:

The warlord is also just being a massive jerk and forcing people to stay for his amusement. Imagine if, every time you left the safety of your neighborhood, you got mugged and violently killed dragged back home. You can't even leave for another neighborhood because you're too low level unarmed. Sure, he's not killing them, but this is basically torture for their amusement.

You know, the show gets a lot funnier if you imagine the warlord as Elder Tale's version of Goonswarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
She made like a Ninja and hid the entire time.

I will admit that the whole herding lowbies to harvest them for XP boosters is kinda clever and something I could absolutely see happen in an MMO where you were restricted to a single char.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Funnily enough, to me it feels closer to what I expected SAO to be - basically an elaborate ploy to write about a fantasy world. SAO never made any excuses about what it was - it was a game, and if you beat it to got back to reality. Every bit of plot ultimately led towards the final confrontation and that goal. There have been no indications so far the LH will go down that route or that there even is a way to get back to reality.

It is really somewhat disappointing to me that everyone involved seemed to have gotten over the fact that the world is now a videogame in half an episode.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
The problem is that no one seems to be in the least interested in actually going back to reality. SAO established this as the main goal in episode one, LH seems to have quietly dropped it and hopes no one asks questions.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I for one welcome our new glasses-wearing overlord.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

veekie posted:

Kirito goes with a black color theme and uses two named swords. That puts him halfway up on it's own.

Just out of curiosity, where does Harry Potter score (what with his dead family, family abuse history and being "the chosen one")?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

pandaK posted:

I don't know man, the smarmy rear end blondie who gives no shits about party conventions and only wants to get fired up is pretty hilarious.

I found it funny that "noob mage overaggros" is a universal MMO experience.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

veekie posted:

As is the melee guy rushing too far ahead and alerting all the monsters and everyone fighting before the buffs even activate.

The tank pulls when he drat well thinks he should :colbert:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Alternatives: he is a spam bot that gained sentinence/he was put in as an advertisement originally/PoL have or had internet access

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I do wonder if he doesn't actually have a sister, but actually refers to his experience from playing dating sims.

"You remind me of my sister who I am not related to by blood"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DrakePegasus posted:

You're misreading it. They only wear panties.

Naked Gnome raid!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Reshaping reality with the power of friendship contract law!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

I wasn't expecting it to be included, but it looks like the next book might be part of this season. Which is nice, because it would be a terrible way to start a new season and the anime has kept everything in order thus far. The events of this episode would have been a good way to end the season, but the end of the next book would be much better.

How many episodes are left, 4?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I took a look at some of the translated versions floating around out there... is this normal for light novels?? Because it's terrible, stylistically. I've also read a few of the Spice & Wolf novels, but they were never quite as bad -- even though the author of those also sometimes has problems with the whole "show not tell" rule.

Isn't it the same author? Didn't he also do Mayuu-whatever (not the one with the parttimer, the one with the Demon Queen who introduces potatoes)? Or is "A brief treatise on the economics of ye olde fantasyworld" somehow its own genre in Japan?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I thought subclasses were unlimited? Rudy's main class is sorceror.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

The best line is still "I ... require fashion."

I hope we get some movement next episode though, and they put these romance plots on the backburner.

There isn't really anything they can get through in the few episodes we still have, right?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Old MMO's don't have a better ratio of tolerable human beings to fuckwads, they just have fewer new players. Elder Tale seems to have avoided obsolescence like real MMO's, though. Also, you are saying that people necessarily have to grow up as they get older.
On the internet.
On the somethingawful forums.
Concerning MMO players.

Taking away Internet Anonymity is a big thing regarding civil behavior, though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
The obvious answer would be that all your characters wake up with all your memories and personality, each thinking that they are "you". As long as they don't meet, no one knows better, but when they do...

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Everything I learn about the Japanese animation industry makes it sound like the most hosed up insane industry country in the world. It's a miracle it's still running like it is and hasn't started to implode like the Japanese games industry.

Better.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that even before the clusterfuck that is the Alfheim Online arc, SAO has some giant, glaring problems - or, more specifically, one problem that's at the root of a whole host of issues. It's perhaps the most naked wish-fulfilment power-fantasy I've ever seen in a professionally-published work.

Don't get me wrong here, Log Horizon is wish-fulfilment. It's about an awkward nerd getting transported into a fantasy-world where his 1337 gamer skills are sufficient to make him the reincarnation of Zhuge Liang and where he has no less than four beautiful women (well, three beautiful women and one middle-schooler... goddamnit, Japan) pining after him. However, the author and the anime production team are smart enough to downplay it a little, whereas the crew behind SAO weren't. At all.

Rather than the relatively small, plebian harem that Shiroe has (a phrase that can only be found in anime, I know), Kirito shacks up fairly early on with the most beautiful girl in his world and then has almost every other female character he meets fall in love with him before tearfully realising that they cannot compete with the pure, perfect love between the two aforementioned characters. In Log Horizon, it's possible to be Shiroe's equal or superior in a given, plot-important field without it simply making you an obstacle for him to surpass - characters like Crusty and Soujiro get to do stuff, take charge, and be important as well (especially Crusty), and the story is OK with that. In SAO, this is not the case - just about everything boils down to Kirito's decisions in the end, to the point where it seriously undermines one of the biggest draws of the 'trapped-in-an-MMO' format - the 'massively multiplayer' bit. His companions rarely accomplish much other than offering him emotional support, and are frequently an active hindrance. By contrast, Shiroe is a strategist and debuffer - he needs folks like Akatsuki, Naotsugu, and Nyanta to break face, whilst folks like Crusty and Soujiro handle face-to-face politics, organising military campaigns, and so on. This co-operative approach naturally results in other characters getting more screentime and cool stuff to do, meaning that it's not just the Shiroe show all day, every day.

So yeah, even early on, how well you can stand SAO very much depends on how well you can stand the narrative fellating the hero over what a cool, badass lone wolf he is. Personally, I found it a bit too irritating to sustain my interest.

If your power fantasies involve all your friends at the time dying because you hosed up, you need better power fantasies. Remember that Shiroe, at the end of the series, is still fully in control of the guild building, making him easily the most powerful man in the city. It is just as much of a power fantasy as SAO was, only that SAO was about a guy running around hitting things with swords while LH was about a guy pulling all the strings behind the scenes and building a society as he envisions it, with literally zero resistance from anyone who mattered. Kirito was beaten to within an inch of his life twice. LH does not have a single scene where Shiroe has to face the possibility that everything he worked for goes up in smoke, because he is just that clever. A power fantasy for grown-ups, if you will.

It's even funnier when you realize that Kirito, at least in the SAO part, got exactly as many harem members as Shiroe did: Dead girl, Asuna, Smith Girl, Loli.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I'm fairly certain most 15-16 year olds with a sibling would be kinda uncomfortable with the implications of the writing.

Was the writer a lonely child, because that seems to be the most common trend I've found with the people writing these sibling love relationship romances.

Doesn't help that none of them really act like real brothers would. I think actually Ichigo from Bleach is one of the few sibling characters I've seen written right in anime.

I found it pretty hilarious that the writer of Log Horizon was asked about what his sister thinks about it and went "I don't think she cares at all". As others have said in the SAO thread (I think), most of Japanese families have only a single child. Some of them become Anime writers and try to write sibling relations without ever having experienced them or even just observed them. Couple that with the widespread inability of nerds to comprehend any relationship between men and women that isn't fundamentally sexual in nature, and you get incest plots.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Artificer posted:

Seems like a pretty standard sister-brother relationship.

Which, for anime, is better than could be expected.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
She doesn't even wear a facemask.

I mean seriously, this is Ninja 101.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
As long as the shots of glasses being adjusted are sufficiently dramatic, all will be well.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Hope he's prepared for currency devaluation.

I dunno. it sounds to me like the money is supposed to pay primarily for running costs to whoever it is you pay for buying buildings and poo poo. It's not like they are going to buy up crafting material en masse. The money won't end up in the player-driven economy.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gearhead posted:

This is not a bad idea, really. (Well, the basic CONCEPT of it.)

A gold standard in this world would be worthless because anyone can go trotting out and massacre a bunch of monsters for money. If this is the case then you need to find something ELSE which is scarce to act as the backbone of an economy because gold is common as gently caress.

Well, gold would still represent a certain investment of time and labor. If a slain Goblin gives you 100 gp, then 100 gp is literally the value of the time it takes to go out and kill a Goblin. In that sense I find it curious that no one in the story has so far mentioned the possibility of taxes. Assuming a population of 5,000 players in Akihibara, that would be 2,000 gp per player per month to cover the running costs. Depending on the state of the economy, that might either be crippling or just a day of grinding goblins. And that is before things like business licenses or sales taxes.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kyte posted:

Don't be hating on William.

"Sir, can you please spell your name for me?"

"Alright, officer: I'm drunk as gently caress"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

genericnick posted:

Except cooking apparently. Although I like to think that they all just lived from convenient store lunch sets.

It was just that no one tried to cook the old fashioned way, and those who did didn't have a skill high enough. It was the first major break from game mechanics, showing them that they aren't exactly in a game but in a world modeled by the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Economic MAD. I like it.

• Locked thread