Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I always assumed the timeline Steve retired too was the same one the Thanos they fought and killed in Endgame left, given his main mission was to return the stones and Thor's Hammer to that timeline. As long as he allows the Time Heist to play out how it did, he doesn't have to worry about Thanos. That said, it does limit what he could do before the Heist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lobok posted:

So what are people thinking if Fisk does show up? That the Netflix stuff will be in continuity?

I expect they will be in selective continuity, with anything they don't want to include either memory-holed or explained away by multiverse/timeline shenanigans.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Moon Knight opening with Steve Grant discovering he's Moon Knight is pretty brilliant.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Most of them seem to be centered around a New Avengers lineup and some kind of Dark Avengers, but there's definitely been some big synergy with the movies, I wouldn't be surprised if Moon Knight shows up in whatever Blade and Black Knight wind up doing.

We are also slowly working towards a functional Young Avenger's roster.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

There is the argument that her shape changing powers were a good metaphor for her growing up and determining the kind of person she wanted to be.

That said, it still looks like it will be a lot of fun. This will just be the nit I continue to pick.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean it seems clear from the trailer that the essential components of that - that she’s able to project a size and power that belies her normal exterior - are intact. It’s just energy projection instead of stretching.

Specifically, there’s a shot of her doing a big fist and if leaks are to be believed she does pull an “embiggen” moment by the end of the show

Yeah, she'll have the big fists and what-not, which is cool. But it's still strange to see Ms. Marvel throwing up force fields and hopping across mid-air stepping stones. It's almost like they took her away from Mr. Fantastic's power only to give her half of Invisible Woman's power.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm enjoying Moon Knight so far, though like a lot of MCU shows it seems to have a lot of interesting or fun ideas that they aren't fully sure how to stretch across an entire season, resulting in a few great highs amid some middling lows. I'm a bit disappointed that some of the brutality hinted at in the first episode between the cuts hasn't actually made it to screen now that they are actually showing the fights. Feels like we should be getting 1st season Daredevil levels of fight choreography, though maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I'm also surprised the level of magic they've used so far given how street-level Moon Knight usually is in the comics.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 21, 2022

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, I'm assuming Joanna won't be the exact same character as John Constantine, though she'll have a similar role and gimmick.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I missed the initial Gotham Knights chat, but have thoughts. I am certain that some exec had this idea for a Batman Jr. show that had nothing to do with the comics initially. Just feels like they are starting with a young adult drama formula and working backwards to tie it to Batman from there. Murder mystery, secret legacy, diverse and quirky group of teens forced by circumstance to work together. Why not Batman? Too old. Why not his dozen adopted kids or his one biological son? Couldn't be the audience stand in. We need a love interest, why not a Robin? No one knows Carrie Kelly, so we can reinvent her however we want. What if one of the characters was a quirky "villain"? One with a secret family connection to the cop who's after them? Who can we add for token diversity? It's all an excuse to make the most lazy, generic CW drama and rubber stamp BATMAN on top of it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Madkal posted:

Just watched 24 hours/sound of her wings. Spoilers below
24 hours is a lot less brutal than the comics but that feels like it is due to the motivation change in Dee. There is still some horrific body horror stuff but it is quick cuts and thankfully very quick and more implied then shown. I thought the ending/final battle was very rushed though. Dream mentions that Dee is causing major harm to the world but in the comics this is shown and in the show it feels like a throw away line. After the battle we see some fire in the real world and Matthew makes it sound like major damage has been done but as an audience we just don't see it. It just felt like we are being told the stakes are so high but never see anything to prove this.
I am really super glad they combined Sound of Her Wings with Hobb's tale and that has been the best episode so far. I was surprised how quickly the episode was going with Death and thought it would be over soon but when the introduced Hobb I was so happy. They handled both stories really well and Hobb was perfectly done

The news playing in the background reveals a lot of the affects on the wider world, with the news caster behaviors changing as they report on weird weather phenomenon and disastrous infrastructure failure causing explosions and what not. It's subtle, but given what we see in the diner, I think it's easy enough to extrapolate what was going on elsewhere. I think the bigger problem is the next episode showing society continuing on fine as if nothing had happened.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

tbf that's exactly how it went down in the comics too

Also to be fair, this part in the comic is still pretty heavily set in DC continuity, where these kind of crises aren't uncommon.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The thing about the post credits scene is that, while the dance is inherently sexual, it's not sexualized. Like, there is a surprising lack of male gaze to the scene helped primarily by the fact that the dance is done in a realistically fitting, professional suit. The scene isn't there to entice the audience, it's there to show a fan of Megan Thee Stallion getting to have fun with Megan Thee Stallion by doing one of Megan Thee Stallion's signature dances.

Of course, nothing pisses off chuds more than nerd media not catering to them specifically.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Shageletic posted:

How did you get past the lack of an effective villain (even with a show that includes the loving Kingpin, the story centering around a rich kid who just consistently fucks up and consistenly acts 10 years younger than her purported age, dour, unhappy Hawkeye, the mystery of her family sputtering along for a few episodes only to be solved by someone other than the main hero, that kid, the same beats over and over with the same bad guys/problems repeated every episode, that loving Ren Faire poo poo, etc.

I know alot of comes to subjective taste, like when it comes to humor, (I did not like the comedy in this, I thought it was hokey and depended on nervous fast patter). But I think there is more objective flaws here, the lady Hawkeye and main character being a rich kid that succeeds not based on her efforts, and therefore being way less sympathetic.than Ms Marvel or She Hulk.

I admit alot of the details have slipped away because I really didn't find much to like

A show can be effective and well liked while not being perfect. I do think it could have used a stronger central narrative. Though Kingpin was a fun reveal, keeping him in the shadows for so long did weaken the story for relatively brief payoff. It's pacing breaks down a little at the end, an issue all of the MCU shows have struggled with to one extent or another. That said, I feel like the individual bits work and are strong enough to carry the show.

One of the key things your missing is that Kate is the main hero of Hawkeye, so the "kid" solving the mystery of her family makes complete sense. Hell, given that it's, you know, her family, it would have made sense even if she where just a supporting character. You also missed that her immaturity and gently caress ups are directly tied to her privilege, and are the starting point of her character arc. While her wealth certainly explains her martial training, it doesn't explain her excelling at it to the level demonstrated in the show, nor is it used to wrap up any of the major plot points. That is all achieved by her struggling and eventually overcoming like any protagonist.

If the humor didn't land for you, it's understandable you wouldn't enjoy the show overall. That's fine. Not every show will work for everyone. But I think that's coloring your view of the show far more than you realize.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I'd certainly see them having people call Teddy Hulkling and him hating it.

Worked for She-Hulk, and with all the publicity Bruce and Jen have now gotten, the public calling someone who turns into a smaller, buff, green guy "Hulkling" makes sense. Could also see Marvel lamp-shading it by having the public at large mix up Hulking and Skaar.

I feel like Billy is less likely to keep his superhero name given it's connection to a real world religion.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Argue posted:

Today's Titans ep has cameos from many DC things, although most of it was stock footage. The highlights though were the actual new footage they shot, first with Stargirl, then with Grant Morrison, playing themselves appearing to Beast Boy through the Bleed (not sure if that's what they call it on the show but that's where he is)

Finally, The Writer makes their live action debut.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I really want to like Secret Invasion, but so far it's not really working for me. Part of that is lack of stakes. I simply can't suspend disbelief that the Skrulls are a real threat when I know Fury will be in a movie soon and there is no way WW3 or similar global disaster is going to happen. But another problem I have is them threading the needle between "The Skrulls are sympathetic refugees" with "The Skrulls are a national security threat and uncomfortably close to antisemitic conspiracy theory".

My biggest hang up so far was from episode 2, though correct me if I misinterpreted any of this. So, after the bombing in Russia we get a media montage of various politicians, leaders, and pundits reacting.Very next scene we find out that not only was everyone in that montage a Skrull, but a member of the Skrull ruling council. They meet with Gravik, who convinces all but one that it's in their best interest to take over Earth. But if they weren't planning on doing that already, why have they already consolidated so much power? I mean, one is the PM of Britain, another the leader of NATO. I could see some of them taking government positions out of a personal interest in politics or as part of working with Fury, but why in the world would they go to that high a level if they didn't have some nefarious motive? It's just way to big of a coincidence that they're already in the best positions to manipulate the general public.

Anyway, best part of the show is Fury and Talos ribbing each other every chance they get. This should have been a buddy spy show from the jump.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

live with fruit posted:

In episode 3, they show the councilmembers in the mindtrap things so it seems that Skrulls just replaced them.

That still begs the questions why where they replacing influential people like that? Unless the counsel meeting was all show and they'd already sided with Gravik, but if so, who was it for?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Opopanax posted:

There's a difference between replacing important people and taking over the world. Gravik's plan is basically just to turn the cold war into a hot one

But again, to what purpose? It seems before Gravik started the attacks to stir poo poo up, the humans had no reason to worry about the Skrulls given most where unaware of them, and the ones who where either trusted them and/or severely underestimated their numbers. I just don't understand the Skrull Council's motives before Gravik came along and got them on board the "gently caress it, this is our planet now" train.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I don't think it's unfair to expect serialized media to be both entertaining episode by episode and as a whole. Secret Invasion's biggest problem is that it was rather boring despite having a great set-up for twists and turns, i.e. spies vs. shapeshifting aliens. Granted, nothing wrong with a slow burn, but it still needs a hook and good pay-off, and for many it seems the cgi slugfest just didn't do it for them.

That said, the criticism of My Adventure's with Superman is just dumb.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I don’t either. I specifically said the show is released in episodes so it’s of course fair to judge it that way. I just personally don’t enjoy that experience. I prefer to lose myself in something and I don’t want to sit around theory crafting and nitpicking it. That’s not a value judgment, it’s just the way I prefer to engage. All that stuff kills tv shows for me, especially short run serials like Secret Invasion.

I agree not every show needs to be a puzzle box to be solved episode to episode. That kind of experience can be fun, but expecting it out of every show can lead to some really bizarre criticism based more on the person's expectations and lack of media literacy than on what's actually on screen. Secret Invasion could have certainly been that kind of mystery, but I don't think it needed to be to become a critical success. My issue with the show is that, even taking it as it is, it's still boring. It picked up towards the end, but it just lacked anything beyond "It's MCU, might as well watch it" to get me to that point. I'm glad binging it made it a better experience for you, but I suspect it wouldn't have helped my enjoyment much. In fact, I probably would have still only watched an episode a day due to it losing my attention.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I feel like that as a whole, DC can't really settle on how actually stupid/crazy they want Harley to be. Individual creators seem to have some idea, but it's not quite a solidified notion for the character across all mediums.

She's got a bit of that Homer Simpson-itis. Even in the animated series it's never quite clear how legit she was, and whether or not her initial interest in the Joker was based in professional ambition or trying to make a buck by working with a big name

I think stupid or crazy isn't the right words for what your getting at, as I don't think she's been depicted as either in modern comics and adaptations. Cartoonish, amoral, and traumatized by a literally toxic relationship, sure, but not stupid or crazy.

I don't think how good of a psychiatrist she is or was comes up much because she's no longer actively practicing in that field. It's not a skill set that necessarily comes up often when executing heists, spreading anarchy, or doing eco terrorism with the girlfriend. Which is why I love it when it does become relevant in the cartoon or the Injustice comics that they go with "No, she actually knew her poo poo. She just made a terrible, terrible mistake with the Joker."

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Hey, Scott Pilgrim was a comic series at one point, and the anime for it just came out on Netflix. It's very good, and surprisingly not a straight adaptation of the comics or movie.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I like that they made her code name a reference to her literal heritage, and can even see the logic in letting her channel it through her family (even if it lead to a very inadvertently funny scene), but having literal healing powers seemed to come out of nowhere. That it wasn't even referenced until the last episode didn't help.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

live with fruit posted:

Didn't they say that her mom was a healer?

They may have, but if so I took that to mean some kind of medical worker or caretaker, not someone literally healing people through supernatural means. Given how important the power is to the climax, it seems like something that should have been expanded on earlier.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Joe Fisto posted:

There’s a flashback scene that explicitly shows her healer powers

Yes... in the final episode. Like I said a few posts ago.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I am pretty sure the scene with the bird is before the final episode.

According to the episode summary on wikipedia, the bird scene is the flashback in the final episode.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

WaffleZombie posted:

Between knowing where the episode was set, and seeing this post and the two above it, I knew what was coming. And yet, it was somehow worse than I imagined. Jeez.

I kind of expected it would happen eventually, because what other major story could take place there? But I didn't expect it to happen so quickly, nor to be that brutal in a revival of a 90s Saturday morning cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

iceyman posted:

I can't imagine they went to the convoluted trouble of giving Emma diamond powers if they didn't have some plans to use her. She's arguably the biggest post-Claremont X-character and they are trying to move into that territory. I could see her joining the team to have an abrasive rivalry with Jean to replace the usual Scott/Logan friction. Or she could replace Jean as the team telepath in season 2 after a heroic sacrifice on Jean's part.

But then again, they did seemingly kill off Maddie rather abruptly after surprisingly teasing her as an ongoing recurring.

I took it as just a nod to the original story, similar to how Morph turned into Magik/The Dark Child during the Inferno episode. That said, nothing stopping them from bringing her back later if they want.