Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm about halfway through Luke Cage season 2. Does this season ever stop being very boring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

zoux posted:

Between this and all the blatant satanism on Sabrina, what are the intrusive moralistic busybody church lady bigots of America even doing these days

There's too much culture going too fast nowadays for an old fashioned moral panic. People freaked out about gangsta rap in the nineties, but nowadays a musician as popular and controversial as XXXtentacion is dead before anyone over the age of 30 had figured out that was a person's name and not the result of a cat walking over a keyboard.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Satanic Temple was founded specifically to troll the Bush Administration, and is cool.

The Church of Satan is libertarians who wear black lipstick, and are the lamest motherfuckers on the planet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm like seven episodes into Luke Cage S2, and I got a question. I don't know a lot about the law, or police matters. But if a man was brutally murdered, and the very last thing he did, literally minutes before the murder, was transfer hundreds of millions of dollars and property to some guy he had no prior business relationship with, wouldn't that guy immediately become the number one suspect? Wouldn't the cops, like, investigate that guy? Instead of just walking around the crime scene, saying, "whelp, no evidence here" and immediately giving up?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

Maybe they're pulling an Alan Ladd/Veronica Lake thing and she's standing in a ditch.

could be both

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, they finally do address that torturing someone until they give you money is not a legitimate business thing. But that is a separate legal trick that the lawyer pulls off to get the money back. And it's framed like, wow look at how clever the lawyer is! As opposed to, yeah no poo poo.

And my point stands that a millionaire was brutally murdered, his last action moments before death was transferring hundreds of millions of dollars to a guy the cops already believed was involved in organized crime and even suspect was behind the murder. Like, they literally talk about it at the crime scene. "That guy did this!" "maybe but there's no evidence!" Somehow the money connection is just never mentioned or investigated by the cops.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh god I got to the penultimate episode of Luke Cage. Just blatantly filling time with unnecessary flashbacks and dead people hallucinations. You'd think by now they'd be better at dealing with the mandatory episode count, but I guess it's still taking them by surprise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SonicRulez posted:

If you're not into it by the half, odds are you won't find it any better later. I thought it was pretty good from start to finish.

You were right. It did briefly pick up for me in that one episode where Luke was finally a Hero for Hire, the thing they've been promising since the beginning. But then he hosed it up and got his client killed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SonicRulez posted:

How did you not like episode 10? Everyone liked episode 10

It was cool to have Power Man & Iron Fist, but by that point I was just tired of the show. I had given up hope of Tilda ever becoming interesting, I was profoundly tired of Mariah's bullshit, Luke had reconciled with his dad so that emotional arc was over, and how often they had teased Hero for Hire only to do it for one episode and then abandon it had left a bad taste in my mouth.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started Iron Fist S2, and I think I missed some dialogue or forgot something from the first season or Defenders or something. Why is Danny Rand working as a delivery man? He was still a millionaire in Luke Cage, and the lady from S1 who is apparently evil now wanted to buy his stake of Rand Industries. So what's the deal?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arist posted:

He's trying to live humbly.

So he's a millionaire LARPing as a normal person. I suppose it's good that they're continuing his characterization from the first person as being just a complete shithead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

notthegoatseguy posted:

Danny's cameo in Luke Cage explains it too. He says he doesn't even live off his money. I don't know if he specifically says he is working, but he talks about trying to live humbly.

Yeah but Danny was lying, he's not living off the money he gets from the delivery job. He lives in a big two story building in New York City that he owns outright. A building that he bought on a whim in an attempt to get a date. And if anything comes up he can just solve problems with his massive inherited wealth. Danny getting a regular job and pretending that he lives on those wages isn't living humbling, it's just LARPing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This show takes itself way too seriously while having the line "I hung up my katana for a reason!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

It's a bad show.

In fairness, I'm not even halfway into the second season and it's already a massive improvement on the first season. Mainly because it finally occurred to them that their magic kung fu show should have some magic kung fu in it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Joy could've been great if her story matched how they presented her as a character. Joy is a child of millionaires who grew up in crazy wealth and never worked for anything in her life, and then swore revenge on Danny after he committed the unpardonable crime of exposing her family's dirty laundry. Great, that is a solid character, potentially. But the actress and the show present her as basically a normal, nice person. She should be a loathsome "Can I speak to your manager?" kind of person.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Retro Futurist posted:

Diamondback was good, the problem was he had to follow up Mahershala Ali.

The fact that Cottonmouth was so good certainly didn't help, but Diamondback was really bad. "He's just so goddamn crazy" is the worst character trait

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I used to think there was no idea so good it couldn't be ruined by poor execution.

But it turns out even Iron Fist can't gently caress up a samurai and a cyborg cop fighting a team of sexy punk magic tattoo artists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What is with this white Luthor poo poo?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ToastyPotato posted:

Gene Hackman

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kevin Spacey?

Have all the live action Lex Luthors been white?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

So have all the cartoon ones.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What is the total runtime of the Marvel Cinematic Universe up to now, including the TV shows? Is it longer that all of Dragon Ball yet?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Idris Elba is great, but I think it's time to switch over to mahershala ali as the only black actor nerds can think of.

mahershala ali should be Lex Luthor.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Iron Fist finally becomes good. for like three minutes at the end of the last episode of the last season

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I havent started DDS2 yet, but it blows my mind that so far out of all the Netflix Marvel shows, Iron Fist S2 was the only one I didn't wish had been shorter. I was expecting it to be 13 episodes like the rest, and when I watched the end of episode 10 I was super pumped for three more episodes of that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I do like the point that Netflix Marvel wasn't actually that good. Out of the eleven seasons of content they made, four and a half were undeniably good. All the rest was somewhere in between out right bad or "I liked it, but yeah it had problems"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That kinda sucked. The first three episodes were very naturally and subtly explaining what the situation is, and then they do an episode just to blatantly explain it in case anyone was confused.

I liked Kat Dennings in the Thor movies, but she was a bit terrible here. It's like they made some kind of horrible compromise to make the previous episodes good. They were given a base minimum amount of terrible Joss Whedoney banter that they needed to put in the show, and they kept it out of the sitcom episodes by dumping it all onto Kat Dennings. "We cant have Vision say 'That just happened' in the first episode, it doesn't fit the time period at all! We can take that line out if we balance it by having Kat Dennings be sassy-mean to the chemist in episode four for no reason"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My money is on Wanda's fantasy getting more realistic and better fleshed out until the barrier between the fantasy and reality drops and by that point Vision and their kids are basically real.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

jng2058 posted:

We've already seen that the jump rope and Monica's "Geraldine" outfit can exist outside the Westview bubble. It isn't too much of a stretch to think that other things that were created inside will still be able to exist outside as well....including Billy and Tommy.

Especially since we know the Hawkeye show is going to replace Jeremy Renner with lady Hawkeye. Her plus Billy and Tommy and we got a Young Avengers show and/or movie going

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

Do we actually know that?

We know it's gonna have Kate Beaton and Jeremy Renner is old and expensive and problematic and his Hawkeye hasn't exactly been the most marketable character in the MCU, so I'm not sure why they'd keep him around as Hawkeye when they have new Hawkeye

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

I mean he can't be that expensive at this point. I'd be shocked if he's done away with in the first season. I'm also surprised that there's been zero news about his lovely behavior

They might keep him around as a supporting character, but he's not going to be prime Hawkeye. Lady Hawkeye is gonna be the Hawkeye going forward

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NieR Occomata posted:

Here’s my prediction for the end of WandaVision:

Spectrum/Monica Rambeau confronts Wanda, telling her she’s a mutant - probably bring in either Wolverine or Professor X (Elizabeth Olson has mentioned that there’s a crazy cameo in WV season 1 on the level of the one in Mandalorian) - to help her. They tell her that she’s dangerous, can’t be controlled, and needs to come with the mutants for monitoring. She responds with, quote, “No. MORE mutants.” and Thanos snaps a whole bunch of them into existence. Then she fucks off to god knows where, setting herself up as the main/primary antagonist of Phase 4.

Tommy and Billy wake up somewhere, having been snapped into existence. This, combined with Ms Marvel Kamala Khan/Kate Bishop/Cassie Lang, plus a possible Young Loki/Iron Lad, sets up YA as a main force to combat Scarlet Witch.

I think you misunderstood what Olson said. She meant that Luke Skywaker was going to be In Wandavision.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm going to be really disappointed if you guys are right and Wanda isn't the prime mover behind this. If there's people nudging her in bad directions, fine. But so far this is a really great story about a person who has gone through horrible suffering reacting in an understandable but really bad way. If at the end it turns out that actually some new character you've never heard of before was behind it all, that would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Not only would it make the story a lot worse, it would also suck for Wanda as a character. This is the first time that she is 100% in control of her own situation. To take it back just like "LOL no she's being played by some dude, again. That's Wanda's deal, bad things happen to her and she can't do anything about it, Wanda BTFO!" would be just the absolute worst.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SonicRulez posted:

I think it's better for Wanda's character if, like Vision posits, she was placed in a bad situation by an outside force and eventually became aware and started taking advantage. The alternative is that she descended on this random town to psychically torture a bunch of innocent people. In my mind this series doesn't intend to end on her being a major villain going forward. I could be wrong.

That's not the alternative. Remember how they kept saying that Wanda doesn't have the power to do this. If the government thought that, then there's a good chance Wanda did too. Here's how it could've gone down so it's all Wanda's doing but she's not just a straight up villain

Wanda finds out they're experimenting on Vision's body against his wishes. She breaks in to the lab, steals back Vision's body, and flees with it. Holding the dissected corpse of the last person she loved, she is at the absolute limit of grief, utterly devastated. She looks around and sees that her flight has taken her to this small suburban town. Wanda sees the little suburban houses with happy families inside, just like the American sitcoms she and Pietro used to watch back before their parents were killed, when they were happy. And she wants that happiness for herself. So to escape from her grief she creates the illusion of that happy world. But unbeknownst to her, she is for whatever reason far more powerful than she thinks. The illusion is real. Something she slowly comes to realize, just as she becomes more and more invested in staying in this happy family.

And that is the conflict of the series, it's not Wanda vs Mephiston or Photon vs Neo-Hydra ft. Wanda or whatever, it's Wanda's desires vs Wanda's values. That is a much, much stronger show than "a devil did it"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Paul Bettany says there's a cameo from a great actor he's been dying to work with and the internet's response is Daniel Craig?

From the context of the whole interview he was pretty clearly talking about Gaten Matarazzo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SonicRulez posted:

I guess I don't see how what you posit is different from what I said. Grief or not, it is still Wanda descending on a town and psychically torturing them. Because even if you are of the mind Wanda wasn't aware of the limits of her power, Vision told her explicitly the people under her control are screaming in pain. It didn't stop her. Plus we've seen her powers work before. Her ability to compel people and mess with their minds. She did it to The Avengers back when she was a heel. So she would at least understand that the ability to make wacky neighbors behave how she wants is within her ability. I think she seemed to genuinely not believe in the scope of that power, but even that could have been just words to de-escalate Vision. Like it'd be one thing if she were in an empty field thinking she was crafting an illusion when instead she wholesale created a town and people and other matter by altering reality. But in your idea she still knowingly descended on people and opted to ruin their lives.

I understand that centering the story on a conflict within Wanda she needs to come to terms with is a good idea, but I don't think that fits this show or does a good job of keeping this character available to be a hero going forward. Or even just within this TV show. Takes away her agency a bit too if it's just an accident she started and decided not to stop.

In my idea she didn't knowingly descend on people and opt to ruin their lives, she ruined their lives by accident and is now struggling with the conflict between her desire not to hurt people and her desire to stay in the happy world she has created. And quite frankly I don't give a poo poo if she's available to be a hero. I'm totally fine with her straight up becoming a villain. This is a much better story if it's entirely about Wanda.

People are speculating about Agnes, what I would like is if Agnes is just some lady in the town who also prefers the sitcom world to reality. Like, maybe her family died too and that's why we've never seen her oft-mentioned husband. That's why she wants to keep the world going, and why she was so interested in Wanda potentially being able to bring back the dead. She's enabling Wanda because she understands what Wanda went through. Wouldn't that be much better than "it turns out she's Mephiston"?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SonicRulez posted:

But what I'm saying is it doesn't make any sense for Wanda to believe a large scale illusion centered in a town would not affect anyone around her given she knows how her powers work. It had to be a conscious decision. To what degree that affects the character is subjective of course, but it's straight up incongruous with Wanda in the MCU for her to start an illusion that becomes too real on accident. Because she would know she did not create these people.

MCU Wanda couldn't create a town-wide anything! That's the whole point, she is doing stuff that she probably didn't know she could do! In the MCU up to this point, Wanda has been able to do her energy blast stuff and mess with a single person's mind by doing magic hands on them. She has never been shown to be able to mind control an entire town while creating a completely realistic illusion of that town at the same time. As the characters said in the show, that is far beyond any power she has ever demonstrated. So it makes no sense for her to have done it intentionally because how could she even know she could do it? And if she did it on accident, then it makes perfect sense that she wouldn't know what was going on at first because she didn't know it was possible for her to do it!

SonicRulez posted:

Nobody thinks Agnes is Mephisto, but to the heart of your question I guess my answer is "nah not really". It's super interesting for me to imagine a villain is aware of Wanda's powers being functionally limitless and putting her in a position where they can use her grief to test and abuse those limitations.

That's not interesting, that sucks. Then all she has to do is beat the bad guy. And it means that all the terrible things she did to the townspeople are forgiven because actually a bad guy did it. It would retroactively make the show up to this point bad, because this has all just been faffing around until Wanda beats the bad guy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Karma Tornado posted:

alright, I just watched five episodes of Wandavision last night after not reading anything about it.

Is Agnes Agatha Harkness? Like she's got most of the name, just smushed together, and she seems to be either conscious of what's going on or actually manipulating it a little

Also I'd buy that the town was originally getting controlled by Puppet Master. You could say Wundagore was in Sokovia, get you a backdoor FF connection, and it's pretty similar to the couple times he put his daughter into a perfect little Americana zone

I think this strengthens my argument, any explanation other than "Wanda did it" would only be satisfying to people who have read a lot of comics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

scary ghost dog posted:

people have said this about so many MCU moves and its never true

I don't think anyone has ever said "any answer other than 'Wanda did it' would be unsatisfying" halfway through an MCU movie before.

I'm not saying audiences wouldn't accept those characters in general. I am saying that those characters being responsible for the events of Wandavision would be unsatisfying.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cocks Cable posted:

It's not going to be "Wanda did it" because 1) the showrunner wrote Captain Marvel and Black Widow movies and can probably to be trusted to not assassinate Wanda's character like some trashy comic book and 2) that's the obvious misdirection answer they give you half way through an ongoing mystery.

How is it character assassination? I don't understand the opposition some people in this thread have to Wanda doing bad things. And I don't think the fact that the showrunner wrote Captain Marvel and Black Widow is proof that she can only write stories about Good Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CapnAndy posted:

"Lady hero does something bad because ~emotions~ and women are dumb and so goddamn crazy, so now she's a baddie because powerful women are inherently sinister, am I right, fellas" is an overworn comics cliche that has long since worn out its welcome and was never as cute as it thought it was in the first place, and Wanda's gotten way more than her share of it over the years. We don't want to see MCU Wanda go down the same road.

OK this is gonna be a big response because I think every clause in that post is a bad argument, some of them in multiple ways.

Wanda isn't doing something bad because "~emotions~", it's because she's been through some truly horrific trauma, which the audience has seen. She is relatable, and her reacting to her trauma in a bad way is understandable. If you think Wanda being willing to hurt other people in order to create a happy family for herself after everything she's been through is "dumb and so goddamn crazy", that's entirely a you problem.

Wanda is not the only powerful woman in the MCU. There's Captain Marvel and Black Widow and Gamora and Nebula, all female characters who have also been through trauma and responded in positive ways. To have one woman react in a negative way is not misogynist. It would not be a triumph of feminism to make a rule that women can only be good guys.

There have been lots of male villains in the MCU motivated by a past trauma. Helmut Zemo is a bad guy because his family died. But Wanda having the same motivation for doing bad things is unacceptable?

Why does she have to be a baddie? She can have done this and come out the other end as not a straight up villain. Especially if we assume she didn't know she was doing it in the beginning. We could end up with a morally complex character, which I, for one, would like.

I don't care about Wanda in the comics, and frankly I assume that neither does the majority of the Wandavision audience. And on top of that, if they do they might disagree with you. Like, for example, Elizabeth Olson, who read the comics where Wanda goes "dumb and so goddamn crazy" and sad yes this rocks, I want to do this.

You know what road I don't want to see MCU Wanda go down? The one where she just keeps getting batted around from tragedy to tragedy by powers outside of her control. Stark, Stucker, Ultron, Thanos, S.W.O.R.D., now Mephiston, Wanda's life is just that gif of Homer falling down Springfield Gorge, bumping his head on every horrific personal tragedy on the way down. That sucks. That loving sucks. The story of a powerful woman who just gets the rug pulled out from her life over and over again and can't do anything about it except for at the end after the villain has completely hosed her over, then she gets the pointess moral victory of shooting him with a laser beam, is not actually in any way better than the story of a powerful woman becoming evil. It's just misery porn, and it can absolutely gently caress off. I will take evil Wanda over that in a heartbeat.