Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1587158146677719042

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

well, that's been a popular fancasting since Heartstopper premiered

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1587480269979648000

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Lobok posted:

I mentioned Red Hulk already but ok...

I guess to clarify I do not have a problem with Hulkling, or a problem with him being in the MCU. Was just wondering if Marvel would hesitate in introducing him. Or maybe they change his name or work through the question of his identity a lot faster.

I honestly have no idea why he's still called Hulkling in the comics, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother with that in the MCU.

As for where he might be introduced, there are rumors that he might be in Agatha as well, but who knows. Secret Invasion would make more sense given the premise, but none of the casting info for that series has included a male character in the right age range.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Not familiar with either of them, but fyi.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1588246001172631553

There have also been wholly unconfirmed rumors of Catherine O'Hara, Hannah Waddingham, and Amy Poehler being cast, though at this point I doubt that'll pan out for all three of those names, if any.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Finn Jones could not win for losing. I don't think he did anything particularly wrong but it was a carnival of incompetence. And happily I think Jeph Loeb is eligible to be blamed in some regard.

There were an awful lot of things that went wrong with Iron Fist, but imo, the original mistake was making the character part of the Netflix Marvel Universe in the first place. If they weren't able to do much with the supernatural elements inherent to the character - and they clearly weren't, though it's not clear to me whether this was due to budget constraints, a creative remit that the show couldn't deviate too much in tone from the other Netflix Marvel series, or both* - they shouldn't have bothered.

*iirc, there were rumors at the time that Marvel Television couldn't find a showrunner for Iron Fist for the longest time precisely because nobody wanted to make an Iron Fist show where the supernatural elements were limited to a few glowy fist scenes and some expository dialogue. grain of salt, but that would explain how Scott Buck ended up showrunning both Iron Fist S1 and Inhumans in quick succession, and why both were apparently rushed productions

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 9, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

we're all used to the MCU getting a ton of flak for being too similar in tone, and a lot of that criticism is justified, but honestly, Feige et al's output looks like a model of tonal diversity compared to the Netflix Marvel U and the approach every single goddamn show took of gritty, street-level quasi-realism that minimized anything that might be too overtly fantastical.

This wasn't much of an issue early on, since the early seasons of Daredevil and Jessica Jones felt refreshingly different from anything coming out of Marvel Studios, but by the time we got to Iron Fist and Defenders, it was clear to me that this uniform tone had become more weakness than strength. I'll admit that Daredevil S3 did a pretty good job within those constraints, though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

To be fair tho, they kinda started going into that with DD s2, and it was the part everyone hated so maybe that's why?

well, they also just did a really bad job with the Hand stuff. the definition of a "Black Sky" wasn't even consistent on a basic level within Daredevil S2 (iirc, midway through the season, it suddenly changes from being implied to be a mystical superweapon in human form that can be cultivated with a lot of time and effort to being an evil Chosen One prophecy about a singular individual), and that's before we get to how Iron Fist S1 and Defenders muddled The Hand even further, leading to the laughable reveal in Defenders, after all the buildup, that the Black Sky is basically just a resurrected human who's slightly better at fighting than when she was alive, with few to no supernatural powers to speak of. I think to some extent that was a symptom of being reined in with respect to the supernatural elements, though of course a lot of it was just bad writing.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 10, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sanschel posted:

Part of that is why they refer to the events of Avengers 1 as “The Incident” and it’s barely mentioned and an intense quiet subject, whereas in reality people would be talking nonstop about an alien invasion and the comic book weirdos who beat the poo poo out of them.

this reminds me that some of the posters and other promo art for the Netflix shows featured Avengers Tower in the Manhattan skyline, but it was never actually shown in establishing shots of Manhattan in the actual series.

In and of itself, this is just a fairly trivial nitpick, but it makes a nice little metaphor for Jeph Loeb's "it's all connected" nonsense versus the reality.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

F.D. Signifier posted:

Can't wait for this to be on HBO Max and for all of the good shows to not be

https://twitter.com/worldsfinest/status/1605635554736996379

A WB exec said a few weeks ago that they’re working on a package deal for DC animation with Amazon Prime Video, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the DC animation back catalog ends up moving there along with new stuff like Caped Crusader. but none of that is official yet, so it’s pretty lovely to remove such major back catalog content from HBO Max without giving any idea of when or whether it might return to streaming

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gunn/Safran DC TV slate

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dc-universe-superman-legacy-batman-green-lantern-supergirl-booster-gold-1235507426/

quote:

TELEVISION

“Creature Commandos”

This animated series for HBO Max is the very first project greenlit by Safran and Gunn, who has written every episode. The show is already in production.

The Creature Commando characters were first launched in 1980. The premise features Frankenstein’s monster teaming up with a werewolf, a vampire and a gorgon to fight Nazis in World War II. It doesn’t appear that Gunn’s version takes quite the same approach — Weasel, one of the characters from Gunn’s 2021 film “The Suicide Squad,” is one of the Commandos, along with Rick Flag’s father, Rick Flag Sr.

Animation, Gunn said, allows their creative collaborators to “tell stories that are gigantic, but without spending, you now, $50 million an episode.”

Crucially, Gunn said that the actors cast to voice the characters on the show will also play the roles in live action later on in the DCU.

“Waller”

With Gunn focused on “Superman: Legacy” for the foreseeable future, Season 2 of “Peacemaker” has been put on hold. Instead, “team ‘Peacemaker'” will appear alongside Davis as a “continuation” of that show, Gunn said — which (spoiler alert for Season 1 of “Peacemaker”) ended with Waller’s daughter Leota Adebayo (Danielle Brooks) outing Task Force X (a.k.a. the Suicide Squad) and Waller’s role running it to the world.

Along with Christal Henry, who was part of the DCU writers room, “Waller” will be executive produced by Jeremy Carver, who created the beloved DC series “Doom Patrol,” which was recently canceled by HBO Max.

“They are crushing it,” Safran said of Henry and Carver’s work on “Waller.”

“It’s just the greatest show ever,” Gunn added.

Both “Creature Commandos” and “Waller” are expected to debut before “Superman: Legacy”; Safran called them the “aperitif” for the DCU.

“Lanterns”

Of all the TV series, Safran and Gunn seemed most excited for “Lanterns,” which Safran described as “a huge HBO-quality event” that is “very much in the vein of ‘True Detective.'”

The show will focus on two of the best known members of the Green Lantern corps.: Hal Jordan (the test pilot first played on screen by Ryan Reynolds in 2011’s “Green Lantern”) and John Stewart (an ex-marine and one of DC’s first Black superheroes), who investigate a mystery that Safran said “plays a really big role leading us into the main story that we’re telling across our film and television.”

“So this is a very important show for us,” Safran continued.

This project is separate from a Green Lantern series that was being developed by Greg Berlanti for HBO Max, which is now no longer moving forward.

“Greg’s vision was more of a space opera,” Safran said. “Our vision is much more ‘True Detective,’ terrestrial-based investigation story.”

“Paradise Lost”

This “‘Game of Thrones’-ish story,” Safran said, is set on the island of Themyscira before the birth of Diana (a.k.a. Wonder Woman).

“It’s really about the political intrigue behind a society of all women,” Safran said.

Added Gunn, “How did that come about? What’s the origin of an island of all women? What are the beautiful truths and the ugly truths behind all of that? And what’s the scheming like between the different power players in that society?”

The provocative title recalls the “Paradise Island Lost” comics series authored by Phil Jimenez and George Pérez, which followed a civil war on Themyscira; however, that run directly involved Wonder Woman.

“Booster Gold”

Finally, there’s “Booster Gold,” which allows the DCU to fully stretch into outright comedy. While he may not be familiar to casual fans of DC, the character, also known as Mike Carter, is a fan favorite among devoted readers. Safran called Booster “a loser from the future who uses basic future technology to come back to today and pretend to be a superhero.”

In the 25th century, Mike is a disgraced former football star who uses a time machine on display in the Metropolis Space Museum.

Added Gunn, “Basically, ‘Booster Gold’ is imposter syndrome as a superhero.”

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

...what?

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1621196159556386816

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

biggest takeaways here: Secret Invasion and Loki S2 are now the only Marvel Studios Disney+ shows locked in for this year, with Ironheart likely delayed along with (already heavily rumored) Echo, and development has slowed on other projects like Nova.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1626233882529132549

Not clear what this means for animated projects like What If S2 and X-Men '97, though the former has been rumored to have been delayed out of 2023 despite apparently having been complete for some time (they even screened the first episode of S2 at SDCC last summer).

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

huh i thought echo was already in production

It wrapped principal photography some months ago, but there have been rampant rumors that Feige et al were very unhappy with how it turned out and weren’t sure what to do with it. By some accounts (grain of salt, of course), Echo may have been a major factor in itself leading Marvel Studios to rethink the phase 5/6 slate they partially announced at SDCC, even before more recent cost-cutting mandates.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1633921156289011712

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Can someone explain to me what the gently caress this Gotham Knights show even is?

it's a pitch The WB filed in a drawer in 2002 when they were looking for a Batman-adjacent show to complement Smallville (they picked up Birds of Prey instead), and inexplicably got unearthed and revived 20 years later.

(not really, but you sure could have fooled me going by the promos)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1658586461988605952

Echo dropping all episodes at once makes me think they don't have much faith in it.

that's my read as well, which would fit with a lot of the rumors about it, but we'll see.

Seems increasingly likely that Ironheart, What If S2, and X-Men '97 have been delayed into next year, though I guess there's still a chance that one of them could premiere in December. Kind of perplexing with respect to What If in particular, since that already had an episode screened at SDCC last year, and by most accounts, it's been completed for some time

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

gonna guess loki s2 has a lot of jonathan majors in it that they don't want to talk about now

fwiw, rumor is that he is not the main antagonist of the season and has less screen time than you'd expect, though he is allegedly in multiple episodes this time. we'll see

live with fruit posted:

It's a little strange that they'd water down the Loki announcement with the Echo announcement. Isn't Loki really popular?

This was part of Disney's upfronts today, so that's presumably why they were announced together

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

It's not bad and I think there's real potential for improvement with the setup out of the way, but based on the first episode, she's not wrong in that the show very much does want you to treat it as a Serious Prestige TV Spy Drama rather than just another MCU project. this largely means a dour and self-serious tone, lots of dingy urban environments, and lots of talk about geopolitics without having anything to actually say about them. the opening scene is also painfully dull; I can think of any number of far more interesting ways to introduce "anyone could really be a Skrull" as a premise

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" reality for the MCU. Either they're generic CGI mashups or they take themselves too seriously. It's like the "Say the line, Bart" episode of The Simpsons but with the Guardians movies.

it's definitely a case of "these Marvel Studios projects all feel the same! why can't they try something with a different tone?" [*monkey's paw curls*]

oh well, if Secret Invasion doesn't improve, then maybe Daredevil: BA will manage to thread that needle better. we can always hope

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

It definitely feels like civil war in particular, and to a lesser extent captain falcon & winter soldier

eh... there's some of that DNA, to be sure, but I don't recall either of those coming off like they were trying so hard to feel tonally distinct from other Marvel Studios projects, certainly not Civil War. in some ways it reminds me of the Marvel Netflix shows, which were definitely trying very hard not to feel like anything Feige had his hand in (often to their detriment), but those series kept any ties or references to the broader MCU to a bare minimum, whereas this one revolves around existing MCU characters and explicitly spins out of specific plot points from Captain Marvel. it's a weird balancing act here, is what it is, and I'm curious to see whether subsequent episodes manage to pull it off better than the first did

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 21, 2023

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I feel like if there was going to be any 'important people have been replaced with skrulls' they probably would have put that in the premiere.

...you're saying that a six-episode series would blow through its biggest plot twists and reveals in its first episode? I'm not saying I'm expecting anything that would have that huge an impact on the broader MCU, but come on now.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 22, 2023

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I'm saying a premiere needs a hook, and this had absolutely nothing.

that's a perfectly fair criticism, I just don't see how it logically follows from that that there won't be bigger reveals about the Skrulls in the remaining five episodes (which is not to say that any such reveals will make the series significantly better or worth sticking around for, to be clear)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I think part of it may have been that (a) Feige et al thought she might undermine the introduction of Reed Richards into the MCU proper by having very similar powers, and/or (b) there was concern that she might have appeared underpowered next to Carol and Monica. But CG and Disney+ budget limitations probably were at least part of the reason

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Secret Invasion finale sucked; if this show isn't the worst thing Marvel Studios has put out to date, it's at least one of the top contenders. Whatever Feige et al. are doing to course-correct after recent missteps can't happen soon enough.

Fury's big plan turns out to be to let both a good Skrull and an evil Skrull get the powers of every known superhuman and alien in existence, and then to cross his fingers and hope the good Skrull wins in the ensuing fight. The show ends with the remaining Skrulls on Earth being significantly worse off than they were at the beginning of the series, and despite this, Fury fucks off back into space anyway so he can appear in The Marvels, where I assume none of this will get more than a line or two of acknowledgement, if that... even though Fury came back to Earth in the first place because he (quite reasonably) saw Skrulls as his mess to clean up!

"Skrull infiltration revealed to the world, paranoia ensues, various factions try to take advantage of the ensuing chaos" should have been the show's status quo by the halfway mark, not an ending where we have no idea where and to what extent it'll be followed up on

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 26, 2023

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I'm half-expecting that one of the first things the Kree villain in The Marvels does will be to attack and disrupt the peace talks with the Skrulls, which would make that ending even worse

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

Very unintentionally funny that probably now the most powerful person in the universe is going to be doing... something... with mi6 and never appear again in the MCU. that's just how her story ends

one of the bigger problems (though probably not the biggest) with the post-Endgame MCU has been the frequency with which they've introduced new characters, and to a lesser extent subplots, and then - in not all but very many cases - not given any indication where those things might be followed up on. It's greatly contributed to the sense that they don't have a real plan and are just throwing poo poo at a vaguely Multiverse Saga-shaped wall and seeing what sticks.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

La Louve Rouge posted:

Young Avengers? Steinfeld, Newton, and Pugh are all already only 2-3 years younger than Hemsworth was in his first one

well, Pugh doesn’t really count there since Yelena Belova has only appeared in the comics as an adult and never been associated with any teen superhero team… but the point stands, the disparity in ages between Steinfeld/Newton/Thorne on the one hand and Vellani/Gomez/Locke on the other is certainly one of those things that adds to the sense that they’ve been introducing characters without a real plan

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Skaar was just a gag and I don't really think he's in any future plans.

Jen will show up again, maybe not in a second season, but in the movies.

ymmv but Skaar in no way felt like a gag, his brief cameo absolutely struck me as something Feige asked them to include to set him up for a future project

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1712105047696556106?t=UMWe9Hq0IJOoOGERMj88VA&s=19

Well, I mean, this ain't that shocking. Figured we would have had some footage or something already but I guess even by Marvel standards it's bad

the big takeaway is that Marvel is shifting to a more traditional TV production model (pilots, writers' rooms, showrunners, etc) instead of what they've been doing, which is the movie model of shooting the whole thing and then making changes in post-production.

Lots of additional details in this article, including that Secret Invasion unsurprisingly had major behind-the-scenes troubles:

quote:

With Daredevil’s new direction, Marvel hopes to right the ship on a project with sky-high expectations. The show is Marvel’s first to feature a hero who already had a successful series on Netflix, running three seasons. But sources say that Corman and Ord crafted a legal procedural that did not resemble the Netflix version, known for its action and violence. Cox didn’t even show up in costume until the fourth episode. Marvel, after greenlighting the concept, found itself needing to rethink the original intention of the show.

Marvel plans to keep some scenes and episodes, though other serialized elements will be injected, with Corman and Ord becoming executive producers on the two-season series.

quote:

As its shows ramped up during the pandemic, Marvel stepped outside its usual staffing approach and brought in outside execs after years of internally promoting creatives who had been sufficiently trained in the Marvel method.

This change was felt most severely on Secret Invasion, the Samuel L. Jackson-led thriller that stands as Marvel’s worst-reviewed series. Kyle Bradstreet, a writer and executive producer on USA Network Emmy winner Mr. Robot, had been working on the scripts for Secret Invasion for about a year when he was fired after Marvel decided on a different direction. Enter new writer Brian Tucker, who penned the crime thriller Broken City. Thomas Bezucha, who helmed the thriller Let Him Go, and Ali Selim, who worked on Hulu’s 9/11 drama The Looming Tower, were on board as directors and to help crack the story.

So far, so normal, at least by Marvel’s creative development standards. Details are murky, but what happened next, in the summer of 2022, debilitated the production as factions became entrenched and leaders vied for supremacy during Secret Invasion’s preproduction in London. “It was weeks of people not getting along, and it erupted,” says an insider. Marvel declined to directly comment on the matter.

The company dispatched Jonathan Schwartz, a senior executive and member of Marvel’s creative steering committee known as The Parliament, to get Secret Invasion back on track when it was falling behind schedule and on the verge of losing some actors because of other commitments.

By early September, a good portion of the Invasion team had been replaced, with new line producers, unit production managers and assistant directors. And Bezucha, who was supposed to direct three episodes, left the show because of new scheduling conflicts. The Marvel executive overseeing the show, Chris Gary, was reassigned and, according to sources, is expected to depart Marvel when his contract is up at the end of the year.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, it was going to be some dumb mystery box'ish thing, and like I'm sorry vfx people you had to rush through a Sakaaran battle cruiser, but making the first episode a proper origin story was The Right Call.

Making the origin story the first episode did mean that the first episode wasn't particularly representative of what the rest of the show was going to be, so I can see why they wanted to save it for later in the season. but probably for the best in the end

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

theironjef posted:

I'm guessing there was originally a whole plan for the arm growing out of the ocean, like it was gonna be the site of Kang's last battle with the Avengers or Doom's new HQ or something, but then the pandemic subsided just long enough for a long rear end strike and here we are.

It's rumored to play into the plot of Thunderbolts, fwiw

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Interesting that they're apparently using a new Marvel Animation branding on X-Men '97, as opposed to the Marvel Studios branding that's been on all the marketing and merchandise up to this point. Probably makes sense to not use the Studios branding on projects that have little to nothing to do with the MCU proper, though I wonder if it'll show up on What If S3 or Eyes of Wakanda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Cross-posted from the animation thread: the X-Men '97 showrunner has been fired by Marvel and will no longer be involved in future seasons, or in any promotion for S1 (including attending the premiere). Something pretty significant must have gone down behind the scenes for this to happen just before the show premieres; wonder what.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1767622288101576948