Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lizard Wizard posted:

For content: most programming classes at my college use an e-homework site. This invariably requires students to buy new textbooks so as to have a license for the website. Recently, my Java professor sent out an email stating that the bulk of the e-homework was optional. Sure am glad I had to drop money on that new textbook.

We had to pay for something like that in my physics class, except it was less "optional" and more "loving terrible". Like wanting the y coordinates listed first in a question about a graph, but without telling us that it reversed the way people have always been writing god drat coordinates since basically forever. And then other questions, it would be back to normal. Multiple choice questions usually had the wrong answer key, and basically every assignment had to be manually regraded.

gently caress you, Mastering Physics!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's been about ten years since I was in school, but I still remember this loving piece of bullshit:

Everyone who took calculus I and/or II had to take this online test of 10 questions.

:words:

It happened to me to, but not as dramatically. I had a B average and also could never break 7/10, so I ended up with a C in calc II. I'm pretty sure they dropped that loving test in a year or two after my freshman year when I took it.

I had that too! I remember going crazy trying to finish it for my calc I class so that I could leave for thanksgiving break, and the more I took it the worse I did, because my tiredness and frustration led to more formatting errors. When I took Calc II over the summer, the professor said it was bullshit and skipped it. The joy of summer classes.

I know that my school was still doing it as of a year or two ago according to some people I talked to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Dunno dude, all the PoliSci students I know are all hardcore Democrats.

My experience is that most of the people who take poli sci classes are hardcore Democrats, and most of the people who raise their hand in poli sci classes are hardcore libertarians.

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I got put on academic probation, so now, in order to register for classes, instead of doing it online and clicking Submit, I have to:

Man, that would have killed me. I usually made like 10-15 class switches before I had the perfect schedule for the semester. At UConn we had so many people that registering for classes involved taking what you could get first, then drop/switching into the classes you wanted as more people dropped from the sections.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

P.S. - How do you guys feel about group work? I love group assignments, I totally feel like they're useful and constructive opportunities to learn about teamwork in a professional envirohahahaha gently caress it gently caress them gently caress everything :unsmigghh:

I had one class that the professor decided to make a semester long group assignment. The problem was, I already had the smallest group, then one person dropped the class at week five, so it was just two people. Then towards the end, I got that swine flu that was going around. Which gave me pneumonia. So we had two people working on basically an impossible project that had changed twice based on the professors whims, with like no time to do it in. Somehow we still passed.

He also gave a final exam, that we could do at home! But he still wanted it written in a blue book! So we had to print it out and handwrite the whole essay into a blue book? The subject of the class?

Enviornmental Protection

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector Zenigata posted:

I couldn't find a real article (probably because of the fact that Hampshire handled it rather than the police) but his name is Lale Zino Labuko; he was just forced to move out of campus housing and not participate in non-academic things on campus. I wasn't trying to protect his anonymity, I was trying to protect my friend's. If I could find a non-tumblr post about it, I'd post it.

I don't even know which cops you guys have. In Amherst you have

1)Amherst PD
2)Amherst College PD
3)UMass Amherst PD
4)Some "Campus Police" thing that's part of none of the above that handles... I don't know. Smith, Mt Holyoke and Hampshire, maybe? The actual town police is smaller than the cops for the colleges.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That inspired me to go on my alma mater's newspaper to see what was going on with regards to snow and finals, and the headline involved the worst professor I ever had. You know the kind of guy that goes "Uhhhh" a lot? Once during an organic chemistry lecture, we counted 50 "uh"'s and "ummms" in five minutes. He was a painfully terrible lecturer for a really important subject. I hate professors where I can do just as well, if not better, studying on my own instead of going to class.

Oh, the headline was him being arrested for peeing on cars while completely hammered, so at least I got a good laugh out of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

It's kind of jarring to see "campus police" having weapons, handcuffs, pepper spray, and such like that one guy in the US who sprayed a line of Occupiers.
Maybe I'm used to it since I went to UConn in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, so the school's police were literally the only cops around for miles barring like three state troopers. Yale University has its own police department, but all of its cops are techincally New Haven police officers and they actually serve as backup to the local police (mainly because New Haven is a hellhole). And then there's a ton of schools that only have the unarmed security. It all pretty much depends on where the school and how big it is.

I just found out that what used to drive me crazy about my school, its 16GB/week bandwidth cap, still exists and is still only 16GB a week. I guess it's better than the 7GB a week it was when I first got there, but drat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

16GB a week per person, or for everyone?

Per person. It gets messy with routers, though, I remember my roommate hosed me over without realizing it when he streamed the olympics for a day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IllIllIll posted:

This is an actual slide from my thermodynamics class, taught by the most senior professor in the department. There's no animations or anything that comes after, just these equations. No explain provided in the powerpoint whatsoever as to what any of this means, and he blew through this slide in class in under 30 seconds. Also, half the exponents are unreadable and I don't know what's happened with those parentheses. I took this class a while ago, so now I can kind of make sense of it, but at the time it was completely bewildering.

I hate experienced thermo professors. Mine put poo poo up like that on a chalkboard and would erase it before we had a chance to even write it down. No slides online or anything. They forgot that, yes, it's second nature and simple as hell to them, but we don't have a PhD and 20 years of experience. We're, in fact, trying to learn it for the first time!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A White Guy posted:

Semester-long group projects blow. When the group works (a rarity), it sucks. When the group doesn't work, you can literally feel the creative lifeforce and dreams that you brought to college being sucked out of your body as you try to convince the stoned retard in the group that no, his idea makes zero loving sense, and we will not put it in the goddamn paper.

:argh:.

I had one where I had the smallest group in the class, the professor realized the topic he gave my group needed to be changed, then hosed up changing it so he had to change it again with like no time left in the class, then one of the group members dropped the class leaving my group at me and one other person.

Then I got swine flu.

Which gave me pneumonia.

So I was barely able to do anything for like two weeks. Somehow we still passed. I think he took pity on us.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate how every time my alma mater wins a national championship, some dipshit has to flip a car and light things on fire.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Justin Godscock posted:

It really depends if That Guy is in your class, I found.

I had a That Guy who responded to the professor mentioning illegal immigration as a diversion issue during campaigns by going on a five minute ramble about illegal immigration policy.

He was That Guy for the entire department, it was kind of funny. No one knew his name, but every single poli sci student knew who you meant when you talked about them, and it wasn't a small department by any means.

Astrofig posted:

Ahaha, so thanks to the new automated attendance tracking system, I might have to give back all of my financial aid! Someone shoot me in the head please? I am beyond done with this bullshit.

God, I would have been so hosed. I did best in the classes I never went to because of lovely professors, like Ethics and Organic Chemistry.

Now that I think about it, I feel like something is wrong with never going to Ethics and pulling an A-.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Action-Bastard posted:

There were only a few classes at my colelge that had electronic attendance systems. These were usually the massive 100-200 people lectures, and it worked by everyone keying in a code on those electronic answering remotes and thus "signing in" to the class to answer lecture questions. Worked pretty drat well from what I saw.

Yeah, the only class I ever had with one of those was a 300 person pass-fail class where you could miss up to 5 classes during the semester, if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Synonamess Botch posted:

same except $16k, the second most expensive public university in these great united states

I spent 30k a year on my school, and it was a public and didn't even crack the top ten in terms of costs. I was out-of-state, though.

• Locked thread