Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, anything produced between 2006 and 2010. Her newest album, Red, released in 2012, is hot garbage.

Counterpoint: No. Red is half good songs, half boring ol' ballads. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and 22 both rock something fierce.

Also, autotune is a valid artistic decision if you're trying to achieve a certain sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrooklynBruiser posted:

There is no :frogout: big enough

Go listen to 808s and Heartbreak, then come back and apologize.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There are also various T-Pain singles that use it well.

If you notice autotune, odds are it's noticeable for a reason. So many albums and songs use it just enough that it's not noticeable (because of good audio engineers) that if you can tell, it's not a "I want to sing better" decision, it's an artistic one. I can understand people not liking the sound of a heavily autotuned voice, but if a good singer wants to use it, odds are there's a reason.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deadpool posted:

We are living in the Taylor Swift's Couch Chat era. Good time to be alive folks.

Did you know that Kim Kardashian and Kanye West got engaged?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hughmoris posted:

Just re-watched first season of Party Down. Great show, shame that it ended so quickly.

The second season is even better. It's one of the few perfect seasons of a TV show.

edit: Also, I'm into 30 Rock's 5th season, and it's still 22 minutes of visual gold every episode. I forgot when it gets bad, but I highly suspect the real answer is "never". Matt Damon is the best.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 3, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I cannot believe that 30 Rock manages to get even better on a rewatch, but holy gently caress it does. I cannot believe the quality of the writing, the amazing quality of guest stars they managed (what other show will ever again get Al Gore, Aaron Sorkin, Condy Rice, Don Cheadle, Tom Hanks, Matt Damon...), the way that the characters never manage to get old...

ugh what a good show. I remembered the first seasons being good, but even at it's worst, it's still great, and the last season is crazy awesome.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

Kanye's submission was to have Kim Kardashian take her clothes off.

He needs to go back to the drawing board.

For all of Kim Kardashian's faults, literally none of them are "Is not attractive".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

Don't care, I want her awful rear end family to go away forever.

Poor choice of words, her rear end is probably her biggest (no pun intended) claim to fame.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look, I'm not saying I like Kim Kardashian (though if her being Kanye's muse results in more Yeezus level albums, she can stick around), but I have no idea what insulting her looks has to do with anything, especially because she's pretty drat attractive.

Now, Kris Jenner on the other hand is just awful.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have not seen a single episode of Orphan Black, but between her two episode stint on Parks and Rec and the Comic-Con panel I saw her on, I have the biggest crush on Tatiana Maslany. Which I'm sure the response to will be "get in line".

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, I'm not watching Catherine Duke do that. I got sick to my stomach just thinking about it, no chance in hell.

On the other hand, I have been Secret Santa gifted the first season of Arrow, so maybe I should be catching up.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're a fan of New Girl, post-Super Bowl programming, ridiculous guest casting, or the song Raspberry Beret, it would behoove you to click here.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spatula City posted:

Moonlighting is wonderful. I think the only other show I've seen with such effective sexual tension between the male and female lead is New Girl. But David and Maddie are pretty much the pinnacle of the will-they-or-won't-they plot.
Also, Agnes DePesto. :3:

Cheers motherfucker, do you speak it? (Seriously, Cheers pretty much invented the TV will-they/won't-they, and is better than everything else at it)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Epi Lepi posted:

Was it Cheers or something else that completely tanked once the two will-they/won't-they characters got together?

That would be Moonlighting. Cheers turned into a very good workplace ensemble comedy after Diane left.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JohnSherman posted:

For anyone who doesn't watch the show, you should know that the unresolved tension is between two characters that the show blatantly said would not get together way back during the pilot episode in 2005.

No but maybe he's talking about "aunt robin" in some sort of code like she was his one true love and then she dies blah blah blah blah

Some of the dumb things people would tell themselves to keep that dream alive were just awful and stupid.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was enjoyable enough, but ultimately disappointing.

Ding ding ding! It felt like I paid to watch a TV pilot in 3D. A great pilot, granted, but still.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Felicia Day is like a lady-version of Chris Hardwick.

Also, for all of the stuff of his I don't like, Dr. Horrible owns. I don't know how much of that is Whedon and how much is NPH, but it's really cool.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just assume that anyone who says Hardwick is a good interviewer really loves late night TV, because he's very much a "Late Night Talk Show" interviewer, as opposed to someone like Marc Maron, or (ironically) Craig Ferguson, who are really good because they dig deep/are incredibly entertaining (respectively). The best comparison for Hardwick's interview skills is probably someone like Jimmy Fallon, but I feel like Fallon is a funnier person, and has a working relationship with Justin Timberlake, so he wins.

He's also a perfectly adequate stand-up, which really isn't enough these days, when there are so many really good/great comedians working. Time will tell if any stand up (no pun intended) with the legends like Carlin or Pryor, but right now the sheer volume of great comedy is way higher than it has ever been.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just a reminder that House is the best Sherlock Holmes adaptation.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
House is the single best case I can think of for shorter TV seasons, because when it was on, it was really, really on, but it's hard to sustain that for 23 episodes a season.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Better than, oh, the entire BBC? Or Breaking Bad? Or Mad Men?

BBC poo poo is too short, IMO. It makes sense with Sherlock, because they're basically just making 3 feature length movies, but 6 episodes has always felt too short for me (especially in comedy, where the shows are half as long).

As for the others, it's easy to point to those shows and say "yes, this is the perfect length" because they're so good, but they don't illustrate the flaws that longer shows tend to have because of their length. House is the perfect example because you have an entire season's worth of character growth spread out over 22-24 episodes, when it could have easily fit in many less.

Basically, when someone watches BB/MM, very few people think "boy this is just the perfect length for a season of television", because there are a billion other things they're thinking, but if you watch House, odds are one of your first thoughts after finishing a season will be "that was really good, but did it need to be that drat long?"

Edit: House is probably the best (longer than one season-running, because of Freaks and Geeks) network drama of the past 15 or so years, but I don't think it compares to the best Cable has had to offer, fwiw.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 23, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Fo sho. That timeframe puts House against some very popular, critically acclaimed dramas... Friday Night Lights, The West Wing, Law and Order(s), ER, Homicide, LOST, Northern Exposure, NYPD Blue, Greys Anatomy, Twin Peeks.... not to mention a lot of arguable but less popular shows, and current shows that could make the list.

It might barely claw its way to the bottom of some Top Ten-Last 15 years-Network Drama list, but the takeaway lesson from that isn't about House being a great show... it's that network television sure does suck.

I'd put House up against any of those shows (Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure don't count because they were early nineties, which is most certainly not 15 years ago). West Wing, FNL, Law and Order, NYPD and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Lost would also have cases to be made for them (my dumb rear end forgot about Law and Order, which actually would be any smart person's argument for the Network TV model, because you could run that poo poo 52 weeks a year and not lose a whole lot, if anything).

Basically we need to let cable take the serialized shows and bring network TV back to the 50's and get stuff like Hitchcock Presents and Twilight Zone running again.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm just thankful The Good Wife didn't end up joining Terriers and Cougar Town on the "shows that might not have been cancelled if they didn't have awful titles" pile.

Cougar Town, amazingly, starts it's fifth season next month.

Hands up, who remembered that show was still around besides me? None of you, because you all hate fun.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

Eh, the GaGa special was cute and it's premature to call her washed up after one less-than-stellar album reception (I really like at least one of the tracks from it.) Wasn't the best special but there's a spectrum between that and utter poo poo from a talentless hack.

ArtPop owns owns owns, gently caress the haters.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, let's talk about something less divisive.

You know, like Girls. It has a new season starting up next month, looks pretty dope.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Maybe it's just me, but for me, Girls is a television show that airs on Sundays on HBO.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Girls is an exercise in getting people to write Think-Pieces.

It should be noted that I really like Girls, but like, 95% of people who have ever watched an episode have an incredibly strong reaction to the show, whether it's positive or negative, which is hilarious to me. In a good way.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
boy, it's almost as if comparing food and media is stupid because you cannot eat a movie or TV show any more than you should watch a hamburger

No that can't be right.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Prometheus is a legit masterpiece. Like, almost the same level as Alien.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Counterpoint: Her, Prometheus, and District 9. I could also potentially argue a case for Transformers 3, but you lot wouldn't believe me, and it's more action than sci-fi anyways.

But go see Her.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

MrA is right, Community is really good again. Like, season 1/2 good again. :neckbeard:

Give it more than two episodes before we start with the "as good as season 2" talk. I'm just happy it's trending in the right direction, and actually funny again.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Isn't "After Community" basically what this season is? The characters are all back for flimsy reasons and Abed directly made a reference to the last season of Scrubs (although not AfterMASH, oddly). It is actually funny though and I like when comedies are funny so I'll keep watching as long as that keeps up. No reason to get all SMG Jr. about character motivations; the last time they tried that Inspector Spacetime happened, after all.

Yeah, gently caress basic writing tenants like " character motivation", that poo poo's for over-analytical nerds. Just get a bunch of people to make references to things and funny one-liners.

What's that, that show already exists and is called Family Guy? And most if not all good shows rely on character motivation because, once again, it's a basic tenant of script writing and is one of the reasons Community was so good in the first place?

Also, Inspector Spacetime was a joke that turned into something terrible because nerds can't let a good thing lie.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mindy is dating Dennis Reynolds on The Mindy Project. As soon as I saw this, my first thought was "Mindy, RUN!"

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just in case you were wondering: Modern Family is still hilarious, and Super Fun Night's theme song is still an assault on my eardrums.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright guys, David Blaine Confuses Famous People is reairing on ABC right now. Who's in?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I've given up trying to understand your "taste" in television.

I started watching Blaine planning to laugh at it, but that motherfucker crazy.

edit: Also, my taste in everything owns. Haters vacate.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

Its theme song is "Don't Stop Me Now". That's a great song.

It is a fantastic song. That cover, however, is god awful.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

Ignorance is a great way to reinforce your world view.

The Big Lebowski grossed 17 million
Young Adult grossed 16 million

The film was a critical darling, but the man of the street had a much different opinion.

Except the hate wasn't directed towards Thuermaon ("Dudette") or Diablo Cody (who wrote it), but to the film as a piece of work.

Actually, Diablo Cody is a great name to bring up in this whole discussion, because she illicits a very similar reaction from the people most of us are complaining about (that is, stupid people on the internet who don't like Girls for incredibly shallow reasons like "why does the lead get naked all the time?") Even speaking her name brings up the (incredibly undeserved) hatred that sprouted when Juno and Jennifer's Body came out, simply because she is a particularly stylistic writer who doesn't pander to the type of audience most likely to hang out in the comment section of The AV Club. Lena Dunham is almost certainly in that same sort of bubble, a writer who has a very outgoing personality, essentially writes what she knows, which is "White Women", and gets all this hate from a part of the internet that normally they shouldn't bother listening to, were they not the primary writers on a bunch of TV blogs, and constantly all over Twitter.

Of course, I'm not saying people aren't allowed to not like Diablo Cody or Lena Dunham, because to each their own, etc etc etc, but there's a level of viritol aimed at them that is very rarely seen among art types (musicians/actors/writers/what have you), and I almost entirely notice this sort of anger toward women. Even Michael Bay, who is probably the man who has gotten to this particular level the most, has people saying "but he makes a drat good explosion" or noting that The Rock/Bad Boys/Con Air are still good. If you listened to certain corners of the 'net, you'd think that Dunham or Cody were only making TV/Movies that make Jack and Jill look like Forrest Gump.

edit: Show of hands, who here watched the Season 3 Girls premiere last night? (Not trying to shame any/everyone, I haven't either, but I hopefully will tonight/tomorrow)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Shame on any Sherlock adaptation that doesn't show him as a raging coke fiend.

It's not quite the same thing, but point: House for the constant popping of Vicodin.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've decided that I'm giving American Idol one last chance tonight, because the ads have made it look surprisingly watchable this year. We'll see how this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tupping Liberty posted:

Is there a Suburgatory thread?

Mostly I just wanted to say that the girl who plays Lisa is growing up to kind of look like Anna Kendrick.

Just so we can head this off at the pass: Anna Kendrick is awesome and looks kinda like Adam Scott.

• Locked thread