Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I didn't know Taylor Swift's career had eras now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Showtime renewed both Homeland and Masters of Sex today. I need to catch up on the latter.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I haven't read The League thread yet, but I thought it was the best episode of the season.

I wonder if it was a coincidence both shows ran with the same plot or if they knew about each other. Kinda felt like when Daily Show and Colbert cover the same story with similar jokes.

No complaints though, it was a great hour of comedy. I'd much rather what feels like a collaboration of sorts like that than some crappy sounding Simpsons/Family Guy crossover.

Last night's Always Sunny was written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the GoT showrunners, so I'm guessing it was just a coincidence and the network decided it'd be best to air the episodes back to back.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

It's been beaten in the ratings by Chicago Fire, so you're probably not the only one.

PoI did slightly better in the demo this week (2.2 vs 2.1) and PoI doesn't have the advantage of The Voice coming before it. Given that ratings are down pretty much across the board this year, I doubt that says anything.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Starring People's Choice Award Nominee Kristin Kreuk!

(I know, People's Choice is like the epitome of stupid awards shows but still hahaha Kristin Kreuk got nominated. For acting in something.)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Gonz posted:

We get it, Doug Benson. You like weed.

We get it.

To play Devil's Advocate, if people are going to keep paying him money to smoke weed who are we to stop that?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

THF13 posted:

Lost Girl season 4 started in Canada. The episode teaser on the website is something special.

Ugh, the US apparently still isn't getting it until 2014. It's really annoying when you pull this poo poo, SyFy.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Manos del Sino posted:

I look forward to long stretches of no dialogue and lots of stammering.

Turning a Brian Michael Bendis comic into that would be a pretty amazing accomplishment in and of itself.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

How the hell does that even work? One Fox subsidiary sold syndication rights to another? I mean I'm sure Groening/Simon/Brooks/the other production companies get a cut but it sounds like the overall conglomerate is gambling on FXX paying off rather than selling the rights elsewhere and making a big payday.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

raditts posted:

Is The Simpsons really enough of a draw to get people to watch your cable channel in the year 2013 though? I guess my opinion is skewed because I think it's been a terrible show for a long time and haven't watched it in about a decade now, but aside from that, it's been syndicated since at least 1999-2000 or so, hasn't it? I could understand putting down big bucks to get it back then, but these days it's not as though Simpsons reruns are a tough thing to come by, and I don't feel like it lends itself to idle marathon viewing the way something like Law & Order does.

This is technically the first time it's been syndicated. But local Fox stations have been allowed to air old seasons during local programming blocks since the mid-90s. I do wonder if syndicated Simpsons really is worth that kind of money, though.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

http://jezebel.com/twin-peaks-inspi...dium=socialflow

A line of Twin Peaks-inspired dresses is for sale, apparently. I have no words.

PriorMarcus posted:

Here's the Breaking Bad alternative ending off the blu-ray boxset out soon.

I actually like this one a lot more and think it sums up the series a lot better than the conclusion we got.

Judge it yourself though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZivVxB3vU

Oh my God.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

If I can't turn on the TV and find it while I'm at my grandmother's house, it doesn't count.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Mo0 posted:

So I just got distracted by a TV commercial to the point that I actually went and made a gif of it really quickly. Because I loved it that much.

Who writes this crap?

The best part is the "Dramatization" text that pops up in the corner.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Chamberk posted:

Haha holy poo poo they got the Property Brothers. Brilliant!

There's so many sweat equity shows on cable nowadays that I figured that was one of the fake ones.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

At first I was thinking that ABC Family could fit that demo, but then I realized that it airs that Secret Life of the American Teenager show, where not having sex is just as important as talking about not having sex for the entirety of every episode. Although it did have the best guest star ever in the history of television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrjN8peOiE

ABC Family deliberately went away from that demo a few years back. It's amusing to think that the network that broadcasts Secret Life and Pretty Little Liars was founded by Pat Robertson and still airs The 700 Club.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

raditts posted:

I don't "get" Duck Dynasty. I tried watching it once because it came on after something I wanted to watch and I barely made it through to the first commercial break. Of course if I could understand why people watch that I'd understand why Pawn Stars is the #1 show on cable.

As already mentioned, the show scratches an itch for programming that revolves around Christian conservative values that isn't really catered to elsewhere on television these days. It isn't meant to appeal to the average TVIVer whatsoever.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 23, 2013

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

raditts posted:

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER

Is this Experimental Music Video week or something?

Kanye's submission was to have Kim Kardashian take her clothes off.

He needs to go back to the drawing board.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

For all of Kim Kardashian's faults, literally none of them are "Is not attractive".

Don't care, I want her awful rear end family to go away forever.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Captain Vittles posted:

Haven't seen this mentioned in here yet (hope I didn't skim past it...); the new season of Orphan Black starts on April 19th in Canada. I assume it will be the same in the US, given they aired on the same schedules during season one. Just thought people would like to know.

Yeah, it's the same. Here's a teaser they released yesterday during Whomania:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zCNJG07i-g

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Teddybear posted:

I keep hearing Orphan Black is pretty good. Anyone know if it's streaming on, like, Netflix or something?

The show itself has its strengths and weaknesses as a sci-fi show. But the main draw is Tatiana Maslany, who is amazing in a role that ties the show together--saying any more would spoil things.

I'd like to think it will end up on Netflix soon, since Season 1 got abysmal ratings despite the buzz around Maslany. BBCA needs to do something to get more people watching this show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

So if you're like me and you often wonder "What the hell is Fez up to these days?", Wilmer Valderrama has joined the cast of the From Dusk Till Dawn TV series that Robert Rodriguez is developing.

http://dailydead.com/wilmer-valderrama-joins-cast-dusk-till-dawn-series/

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

He was pretty good on last season of Raising Hope.

He was on Suburgatory a couple times too. It's always weird seeing him play characters that aren't like Fez though.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Tupping Liberty posted:

Did Suburgatory get cancelled or is it coming back mid-season? That was one of those examples of a seemingly boring premise that was actually a really good show.

It's coming back in January and taking over the cancelled Back in the Game's timeslot.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Didn't the whole Roger Ebert debacle teach everyone that pushing video games on older people who have no interest in playing them is a waste of time?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Sam visited Frasier in season 2 and he brings that up. Fransier says he just got off the phone with his dad and they had a huge fight.

And in general Frasier and Martin had a very strained relationship before he moved back to Seattle.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Eh, I still can't get into Bob's Burgers even though I understand the charm it has with some people. "Annoying for the sake of annoying" characters put me off and I don't like a lot of the voice acting. So I can totally see why even people who like the show would have hated it at first.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

RGD has a stand-up thread. I also see stand-up specials talked about sometimes in the CD Netflix thread.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Ron Burgundy and The Dan Patrick Show join forces to recreate a TV football classic.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

AndyP posted:

Two episodes?

There's a second version that plays Christmas carols.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Irish Joe was clearly talking about the birds.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Shhhhhhh. Don't ruin the fun.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Sophia posted:

I looked at Alan Sepinwall's Top 10 list he released today and it became clear to me why I don't really read anything by him anymore even though he's a good critic - for the first time maybe ever I haven't seen a single show that he picked for his Top 10. I'm sure that says a lot about me than him because I know some of the shows he picked are objectively good shows, and obviously TV is more diverse than it's ever been, but good lord am I no longer plugged in to the broader television landscape.

Then again only two shows did I watch and actively dislike (Mad Men, Hannibal), the other ones I just haven't seen at all, so perhaps there is still hope.

In the text below his video, Sepinwall talks about how the quality TV viewing landscape is so expansive right now that he had to really work to cut his list down to 10 and that his initial lists of shows he was considering was 40 long. I think it's pretty understandable why even people who enjoy his work would come up with completely different top 10 lists. I don't think it's a matter being in the loop on good TV, really.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

zoux posted:

You milquetoast cowards will go against the wall with the rest of the heretics who deny the divinity of The Most Holy Whedon (PBUH) when The Reckoning occurs.

Is there a way I can avoid the rapture while still not liking Dollhouse?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Word? And how'd she pull those off?

I don't remember much about her Dollhouse character but on Buffy she was one of the eleventy billion Slayers in waiting living in Buffy's house during the final season so she didn't have to do much most of the time.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Joramun posted:

She was also one of the very few good things in the second season of Legend of Korra.

Man, I thought this was a joke until I looked at the imdb page. Surely such a capable voice actress can find better work than dubbing anime on basic cable.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Merry Almost Christmas you bunch of TV watching nerds! Anything good on tonight?

The Patrick Stewart rendition of A Christmas Carol is on Ovation tonight at 8 ET. It's great, you should watch it.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 24, 2013

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Last couple of days been watching Arrow (eight or so episodes in).

Surprisingly engaging action show. The writing isn't insulting, the tone isn't sophomoric, and the world and overall plot is enticing enough to zip to the next episode. Didn't think I would still be excited about this, this deep in. Some things I do worry about : the huge number of episodes in the season for what seems like a plot that doesn't merit (i.e. what's happening on the island, etc). And the large cast, giving an excuse to go into stupid dreary plotting.

The Huntress two parter (episodes 7-8) are the consensus worst episodes in the series, while episode 9 is one of the better early episodes in terms of world building for the show, so hopefully your worries about the plotting should be addressed. Unfortunately the island plot keeps dragging along through most of the first season before getting better towards the end. Season 1 is a far from perfect product but given what you like about the show so far you should definitely keep going.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Oh hi, this double post is brought to you by the Veronica Mars trailer, which was just released by E, a network which I refuse to exclaim.

It's cool! Aside from "VERONICA MARS IS BACK" they're kind of selling it as its own cool little mystery story!

hahaha, Dick is still just sort of hanging around. I feel good about this.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Rarity posted:

So how many Adult Swim threads did we manage to have last night? :allears:

There was, for a brief period, four different threads because Gitmo Moneyson started a new thread and didn't close the other one immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I think there are individual parts to OitNB--particularly the backstories of some of the other inmates--that are really well done. But the show has enough problems weighing it down that I'm not in love with it like a lot of critics seem to be. Larry is a loving godawful trainwreck of a character and the show would be better served dumping him entirely.

• Locked thread