Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I don't understand why people bitch about Lost and Battlestar's endings when the Entourage, Weeds, and Big Love endings exist.

At least Lost and Battlestar actually tried with their endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate the music on Lost.

The last twenty minutes must've been excruciating.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but not that character--she's been an angel since season 3. Nor that character, he's dead and in purgatory. The shows are really about your least favorite characters such as the boring doctor and the fat mechanic who may or may not be a robot.

Tyrol owned you crazy person.

I'll give you Jack though.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

When Joe Lo Truglio, Chelsea Peretti, and Andy Samberg are the resident white people in the cast, you know the show is diverse.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I enjoy the League (and still do, despite how weak this season is), but there was a time during Seasons 2 and 3 when people were saying that it was better than It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia which was just straight up crazy talk.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

zoux posted:

Next thing we'll have people talking about unironically enjoying NCIS.

What up

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Chuck really suffered when the writers decided that exploring the mythology of the spy world and how Chuck's family was connected to it was a good idea.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Sophia posted:

The rampant success of Duck Dynasty, as much as I do not care for it, is a clear sign to me that people who want "family friendly" (read: Christian principled without a lot of sex humor) shows and humor is a demo that's being majorly undeserved and are hungry for content and some network should try to capitalize on it with a night of clean, family friendly sitcoms and dramas. But I'm not sure who would even go that direction except maybe NBC.

Duck Dynasty reminds me a lot of a deep south version of an 90s ABC TGIF show so this is pretty spot on.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah...

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It was a very bad episode of BSG, but it wasn't a very bad episode of television. It's just that BSG set the bar very high.

Black Market was worse than Woman King, because at least the latter had Head Baltar.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Don't Stop....

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Cactus posted:

That's a Jenna Jameson quote isn't it?

I hope this is a joke and that you're aware I'm talking about the Sopranos' last scene.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Babylon 5 is basically sci fi Lord of the Rings with the meta narrative of it being completely planned out from beginning to end.

For me, there's an earnestness to the show that makes it incredibly endearing in spite of the lackluster acting and hilariously low budget, but you either embrace it or you don't.

However, I don't think it's a better show than BSG, Farscape, or most of Star Trek for example, because despite the supposed planned out narrative, the other elements of the show never came together as well as in those other shows.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 4, 2014

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

The instructor did say episodic television, which while done before, wasn't really a thing until about the 1990s. It is a little weird that shows like Oz, Homicide, or even NYPD Blue aren't on that list, but it doesn't surprise me too much.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 20, 2014

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

You could erase the majority of that list and have a better program of study.

Probably. Studying drama tv in the 1950s-1960s would be far more interesting than modern television.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Ravane posted:

Oh. I didn't read the "the" and I assumed he just meant S.H.I.E.L.D. I think I've only seen the pilot of that show. It stars Hank from Breaking Bad right?

Meh, I think I've seen too many shows like it.

Oy Vey.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

nah, its just that Carnivale was a really awesome show

and heroes season 4 blew

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Now we have season 5 to look forward to! :haw:

I refuse to accept the fact that this isn't some cruel practical joke.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

Wow, why did everyone hate season 4 of The Sopranos so much?

It does have the worst episode in the series' whole run, but I would say that the real reason is because people thought Season 4 has the least amount of mob action in all six seasons of the show.

A lot of people never really got the Sopranos.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

precision posted:

I would say that all things considered LOST was a show where God was a massive dick.

You could argue that God on Lost was either the tropical island equivalent of Chaos in Greek mythology, or some dude who was a complete mama's boy.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Oh good, SMG chat is leaking into other forums.

I love reading SMG posts, but if everyone else could just get over the fact that a guy on the internet has different opinions about movies, that would be swell.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

They're not his real opinions.

Wouldn't that make what he posts matter even less?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You'd think so, but the fact they're manufactured makes them feel the need to argue harder.

Gotta love the internet

At any rate, as much as I love talking about Something Awful posting culture, I feel it's more interesting to talk about the fact that Michael Chiklis is going to be on American Horror Story next year and how loving funny that is.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Mad Men didn't become amazing until they solved/abandoned the mystery hooks (Who is Dick Whitman, What happened with Peggy between Season 1 and 2).

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I think the strength of Mad Men is simply the fact that Weiner is drat good at making these characters' daily lives beyond interesting, and not the fact that there's some mystery to be solved or a "current event" to react to.

This is why Seasons 1, 2, and 6 are definitely the show's weakest years.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah but in Season 2, Betty had sex with Captain Awesome during the Cuban Missile Crisis which was hilarious.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Betty is definitely the weakest link in the Mad Men cast but they always do hilarious poo poo with her so it's hard to complain too much.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

"ratchet" owns, Hitchcock owns, you need to go out more Ravane.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I'd say Ravane is a troll, but he's around my age, and our age group (like any) has a lot of people who live under a rock.

He gets points for being aware of the current use of ratchet though.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Lance Reddick owns so hard. It's not enough that he's a great actor with a body chiseled from marble and his own jazz album, he has to be great at batshit alt-comedy too.

If I ever met Lance Reddick, I would get him to record a ringtone of "Detective. My Office."

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

raditts posted:

I don't know where you guys get the time to watch shows multiple times (assuming most of you aren't in college or something). I barely have time these days to watch through a series once, and I'm still way behind. I haven't even watched The Wire or Breaking Bad yet.

I used to be able to watch shows multiple times, but my student life and resulting social life in the past year has rendered that activity null and void.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

zoux posted:

Hmmm so they didn't pick up how I Met Your Dad then.

Looks like Brad Pitt is going to be your True Detective season 2 lead.

Brad Pitt is my favorite huge movie star that's also an amazing character actor so this is pretty loving cool.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

CBS also has Person of Interest, which is a far more interesting drama about American society post September 11th than shows like Homeland or 24 could ever hope to be.

Yeah, POI has another obnoxious cheerleader and I'm proud of it.

Also the Good Wife is amazing too, and I really not sure why either show managed to survive this long on CBS.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, but is that a sign of people falling behind the times or of people merely maturing past the narcissism and neediness of youth?

No reason it can't be both.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

The devil doesn't exist in Jewish mythology.

Yeah, Satan was actually a term or a title to be referred to, not an actual person. There are some books in the Old Testament that refer in a devil-like figure, but pretty much all of them are deuterocanonical (Bible speak for non-canon).

The fact that they used a Rabbi to say that on Fargo is beyond hilarious though.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah, the literal translation from Hebrew would be Ha-Satan (The Satan). In fact, when people say that the Devil appears in the book of Job, they're actually referring to an angel who is high up in the hierarchy of angels and functions as a prosecutor, someone who tempts mankind and who tells Yahweh when his commands are ignored.

So anyways, Community cancelled, that kinda sucks.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Hulu wants some of that Arrested Development press I guess.

Community's already had more disappointing seasons in my book than AD though, so woo hoo, no expectations either way!

• Locked thread