Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

HUMAN FISH posted:

Why don't we just make an angry post on Tumblr and let it go

Because you're a dog face with a lizard beard and elephant ears, you bird brain. Oops, I just burned blacks, Mexicans, Atlantic islanders, and the Swiss!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jingleheimer posted:

Hey, guys, I have something TV related to say. I think I'm on the verge of an absolute full blown Farscape re-watch. Be on the lookout in the next week or so for a Farscape thread for us to talk about how awesome of a show Farscape is.

Maybe it's time for my third watch to start? And hell yes to everything you said.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jingleheimer posted:

Better off Ted got two seasons! Two incredibly glorious seasons...but it's gone now, and now I'm sad.

It had me at "'The Art of War'? I don't want to read this." "Trust me, your enemies are reading it."

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Tina Fey and Robert Carlock are coming back to NBC and they're bringing Ellie Kemper with them.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/31/nbc-greenlights-ellie-kemper-comedy-from-tina-fey/

Kemper is consistently a delightful presence but she's done nothing to convince me she's ripe enough to lead a show.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

Twerking was cool before it had the catchy name. The name made it easier for people to identify what it actually was. Now its played out like Cross-Colours.

It's had that name for at least a couple decades, so the problem is society.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

bad day posted:

Without Roots there would never have been a Reading Rainbow.

It is a propaganda piece that should be retired like all the others.

E: ROOTS, not take a look, it's in a book...

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 6, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I understand why I should be excited but this seems really desperate and ill-advised for having something, anything to do with street level characters. Problem is, I don't believe the stakes can be raised any higher than baddie in a penthouse sending out his goons with each series individually dealing until the team-up to take back the city, which win or lose will only be a headline about crime stats being down for two weeks and maybe some McGuffin to perpetuate struggle. A Spider-Man character works because while being street he's still a visually impressive A-list guy who can save the world and stop a purse snatching all the same, but this motley crew feels like the actual real life failures and pajama enthusiasts who dress up as superheroes and mobile phone in the real crimes.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Deadpool posted:

This isn't really a motley crew as all the characters are pretty well related in the source material. It makes perfect sense for these four to be grouped together.

A great example of how a sizable portion of the comic audience, and the entire general public, are going to respond to Daredevil getting demoted from major movie to streaming television just to be given a kung-fu movie sidekick, a girl who couldn't cut it, and the guy a lot of searches are going to return Nicholas Coppola on.

bobkatt013 posted:

Soem of the best comics that Marvel has released have involved these characters. Since Daredevil is involved Kingpin will be involved and he can really gently caress things up. Daredevil also has some really good villains that they could fight such as Bullseye and Purple Man. With Alias it could be like a film noir with superheroes.

I don't doubt one word of your educated response or enthusiasm, which I'm sure is running wild across the Internet right now, but on paper this all looks to me like a team the Harlem Globetrotters play deciding to get serious and to make a name for themselves. I don't know, maybe my perspective is all wrong on this but I'm thinking about how during the Battle of New York these four all looked out their windows, dropped some cuss words, then closed the blinds.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Deadpool posted:

You're looking for Thor and Iron Man and being disappointed when that's not what you're getting. You're also putting down the characters because you don't know them and since you don't know them they don't matter. And that's not really true at all. The general audience probably didn't know much about Iron Man or Thor before they had movies either. Of course they're not going to know about Luke Cage or Iron Fist. There will be some that know them from comics or cartoons, but most won't. Just because people don't know them doesn't mean they aren't viable characters worth promoting. With that logic no new properties would ever get a chance because nobody knew about them before. So yes, your perspective is wrong on this.

Not looking for the big, mostly boring guys, I'm aware of the basics of who and what these characters are, and I've never held any logic where only things already marketed can be marketed... and that's weird to think anyone would ever actually believe. No, I truly don't see the appeal of street-level stories existing alongside the whole of the cosmos, and it's sadly easier to advocate that point for the devil than it is to convince the uninitiated that they should commit to some 60 episodes with characters who are so strong and so well written and so deserving of all this while having no cultural identity in this age of culture finding "nerd" to be one of its highest titles. I think most who tune in just for the Marvel logo will wonder why the strong flying girl isn't with the Avengers, the guy walking into machine gun fire isn't with S.H.I.E.L.D., etc., then promptly tune-out.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean like Iron Man? Iron Man was never considered that big until the movie came out.

The Iron Man argument is so tired. 1) He was never on people's tongues, though they were aware of him, 2) It was a two hour flick, in-and-out, 3) After the world got into a frenzy and everyone knows about comics and Marvel, it's not a strength that these characters are still completely under the radar.

Deadpool posted:

I appreciate your thoughts on the issue, but I'll just say I don't agree or even understand them at all. It seems to be a silly thing to complain about. It's like saying who gives a poo poo about Batman tracking down The Riddler when in the same universe Superman and Doomsday are leveling downtown Metropolis. There's room for all different levels of conflict in a fictional universe.

100%, I'm just baffled and doubtful. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY's Groot would feel more natural to me casually showing up on AGENTS OF SHIELD in a trench coat and fake mustache than these series do off in their own few blocks of NYC, flying and ninja kicking and leaping off buildings.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I liked A Different World better.

Those shades were the absolute coolest back in the day.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

If ever there was a series I was waiting for, it's the lovechild of TRU CALLING and shame eating.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

raditts posted:

No. Those shades were never cool. It is probably the one thing people remember the most about A Different World, though.

It was a great ensemble comedy, and those specs were the pop-out Nokia Mr. Anderson got delivered before Matrixing. The glasses were always limited, but they were a thing. A very beautiful thing.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Gonz posted:

A valid point.

More valid point, if Benson speaks truth there is no way he can be high so all time. Not even on the best of days is a THC soaked person getting typical like Doug Benson, oblivious and acting an adolescent.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CaptainHollywood posted:

Just watched the first two episodes of the newest season of Eastbound and Down. Why have I not been keeping up!?

That's a drat fine question as the thread is unanimous in agreeing that the show is as strong as ever in this final-last season, if not being the best season yet.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

raditts posted:

Boy, he tried really hard to keep that interview going. I can't believe he managed to stretch that out to 10 minutes.

Imagine how the pre-interview must have been. RIP that staff member.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I mean, really, Chuck? Not Friday Night Lights or 30 Rock, two shows airing on the same network?

When you say it like that, CHUCK may be the greatest show of the past thirty years.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

But yeah Captain Awesome hasn't done much.

I still think he should have landed that one big role he was up for, some old guy that looks a lot younger named Steve Rogers :smith:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

raditts posted:

I'm glad I don't have the problem most of you seem to have with dropping lovely shows. There is so much good stuff on TV right now that I can barely keep up with, why would you want to waste your time watching something you hate?

He didn't have a chance, Chris Evans had way too much experience playing characters in comic book movies.

1. Meaningless completion quotient and morbid curiosity.

2. I know :( But compared to Evans' great comedic delivery he gets to use nothing of in the franchise, McPartlin's voice has the tone and body that one hopes for in their friends, brothers, and fathers, which I think fits Cap like a glove. And his look is spot-on. I mean, everything but especially that chin.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

zoux posted:

Trailer for FX's Chozen, from the producers of Eastbound and Down and Archer:
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/11/chozen-trailer

Pedigree is good, but that trailer doesn't exactly get me hype.

Not a single promo for ARCHER ever made me want to watch it but it's a fabulous show, so I'm gathering this is just more of FX not selling the idea very well.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BrooklynBruiser posted:

To be entirely honest, the reason I haven't caught up more on Person of Interest is the rapturous way that people talk about it. I've seen the first 10 episodes of season 1 and I've really enjoyed what I've seen, but the constant nigh-orgasmic reactions people have to it are grating as hell, especially because I don't really see anything that exceptional about the show. I mean, it's very competent - well-acted, well-written, well-designed, etc. but I just don't see anything very special about it.

The series doesn't pop until a few episodes after where you stopped, to be fair and accurate.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Something I don't think has been mentioned here is one of CinSkinemax's late night programs, THE GIRL'S GUIDE TO DEPRAVITY. With all the pontificating happening around here a little levity is called for, and I promise that the show is an actual comedy that happens to get softcore. The banter is fun, there are clear character arcs that present themselves in the latter half of S01, and even the sex scenes are played as a joke, i.e. the episode where people talking about going to see a screening of THE MATRIX at a small cinema but then it's the promiscuous non-character neighbor and her guy that get it on while doing Matrix moves, boldly and oh so blandly calling out "Neo" and "Trinity". S02 started recently and while it's hardly art, it's hardly mindless smut.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 14, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't watch it, so why was Olivia Wilde not wearing a shirt in all the ads?

Because some of us eat our veggies and say our prayers.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Sorry, Maggie Q just isn't as hot as Stephen Amell.

Cactus posted:

I... agree. As a straight male, I agree.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The second time I was flipping around and the gay male student character was in a room with a bunch of dudes in matching blazers, each with some emblem embroidered on it. The homosexual character was sitting or on his knees as some hairstyle with a human body stood directly before him, crotch to face. Their eyes gazed into each other as the camera slowly went around the room, showing the whole Uncanny Valley Club in all its ridiculously groomed ill repute. "Queer" is a perfect description as it was both strange and relentlessly gay.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Stanfield posted:

These are just off the top of my head:

In an utter lack of irony, that sounds fantastic. I'm legit considering picking the show up now knowing the focal adult is trolling his way through life and quite possibly destroying lives.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

precision posted:

This, but with Deadwood instead.

Get her REVOLUTION, because her turning her lights out is far superior to her going around being a loud-mouth cocksucker.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

About a season and a half into The Office, wow, how have I not watched this. Also, I kind of feel really bad for Michael, is that bad?

Yes. As you watch, you'll learn that Michael is a small, contemptuous sociopath who goes out of his way to be a bane to everyone around him. I watched the entire series (well, skimmed the last season) and I never once understood why he was liked.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I mean, the guy is an rear end in a top hat, but I can't help but feel sorry for him, I tend to sympathize a lot with those sorts though for some reason. drat funny show though, it's very dry, just my type of humor.

As impressed as you are now, you're in for a hell of a treat as you move forward. Among the cast as a whole and individually there develops a fantastic chemistry and some ripe, slow-but-earned character development for a lot of the characters.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Heroes was never good. Try to go back to season 1 again. Terrible.

Save the cheerleader, save the world.

The only difference between the celebrated first season and the lambasted rest of the series is pacing. It slowly expressed the awful while everything after told it like the Micro Machines Man.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

I hate living in this puritanical religious tyranny. As soon as I save up enough cash, I'm moving to a country that appreciates boobies as much as I do.

What are things a 15yo would say?

TVIV for 2000, Alex.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

io9 can't do anything without abject exaggeration.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

xeria posted:

The only reason I specifically remembered that show is because there was a promo spot that aired for both it and Caroline in the City, where the leads of each show discussed with each other how successful sitcoms have titles with a single word (referencing Friends/Seinfeld) and how they should shorten their show names to single words. It ended up 'Caroline' and 'Guy'.

That's ringing a bell. Great recall!

I really liked CAROLINE IN THE CITY, though young hormones and an appreciation of HOWARD THE DUCK were likely leading me astray.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

[...] Ned and Stacy [...]

That was one of my favorites, though I've not seen in it since airing; I may have a VHS full at SLP speed in some distant place. The four principal cast members nailed it, Church especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

It's not good the ratings took a hit but AGENTS OF SHIELD is able to absorb it, so I'm not sure why the Chicken Little thing is happening. And with Marvel and Diseny's clout as is, I don't see why they wouldn't be concretely committed to hitting syndication numbers while taking the gravy disc and digital sales. Budgets and formats can always be adjusted, but a company batting 1.000 unnecessarily allowing a huge project to strike out cannot be retconned like the stories they tell.

• Locked thread