Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Sometimes a ratty old futon will do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I always felt like the best finale is The Shield's. Not everyone gets what they deserve, but the tragic way everything falls out feels like the only way it could have ended.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Rarity posted:

Putting it in spoilers:

One of the main characters (male) was possessed by an agent of Satan and the only way to exorcise it was for another male character to gently caress the demon out of him. Yes, this is the magical healing power of rape. Misfits has always been an edgy show and that's why I loved it but this was :gonk: even for me.

On the plus side, it also had satanist Scouts.

Ah, I see Misfits has started to employ fanfiction writers in its writing staff.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

This seems to be copied from a Screenrant article, only it's missing the "APRIL FOOL'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" from said article.

http://screenrant.com/full-house-sequel-tv-show/

So, sorry to anyone who got their hopes up over this news.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Parenthood and The Good Wife are my favorite dramas. I'd take them over anything on HBO or Showtime right now.

Parenthood is, as always, well-acted, but the plots this season are driving me up the wall. Kristina's mayoral bid and the Joel/Julia possible infidelity story are awful.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Parenthood's the same team that did Friday Night Lights (for the most part) and is really well done as a family drama. And I trust the writers won't send everything into a tailspin, season 5 has been pretty groanworthy.

The Fitz and Ward teamup in the latest AoS is pretty rad.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

zoux posted:

Holy poo poo:
http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html

Press up and down on your keyboard to "flip channels"

Haha holy poo poo they got the Property Brothers. Brilliant!

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I'm giving SHIELD to the end of this season - if they can make a compelling arc to take us into season 2, I'm game. I keep reminding myself how yawn-worthy most of the first season of Fringe was, and look what that turned into.

(At least in seasons 2 and 3. I haven't seen 4 or 5.)

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I want a Hank/Max spinoff from Parenthood.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Camille's a boss this season. She does what she wants.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Lugaloco posted:

Gives me an excuse to blather about Boardwalk so it's all cool to me :)

I'm a couple of episodes behind, but this has been a pretty solid season of Boardwalk all things considered. Doubling up on the villains was a good idea - like Justified season 3, which had Quarles and Limehouse. I have about 2 episodes to go, so hopefully I'll get to them over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I made it through all of Cheers but got burned out on Frasier mid-season 5. "The Two Mrs. Cranes" is likely one of the funniest episodes of a sitcom ever, though.

Cheers, man, I can't say enough about that show. I started a thread months ago but I'm sure it's in the archives now.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I loved the boxing episode!

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I like Cougar Town but I don't love it.

And I can't figure why.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

That dude had no luck with helicopters.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

piratepilates posted:

That time the old guy got hit in the nads with a football on The Simpsons, holy cow that was good tv.

Give that man the ten thousand dollars!

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Seriously, though, the Lost season 3 finale blew my mind a bit. I also was blown away by the New Caprica arc on Battlestar, Adriana's death in The Sopranos, and THIRTEENTH! in HBO's Rome.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Did anyone see that Spoils of Babylon miniseries thing on IFC? It's some sort of parody of the whole Downton Abbey drama miniseries genre and stars Kristen Wiig and Tobey Maguire. Looks worth a shot.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

zoux posted:

For a different take, let's hear from me,

That show was rear end.

It was a hell of a lot better than Cougar Town.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

It stays good for a good long while, so enjoy that.

I'm a little over half through Hannibal, and hope to catch up by season 2's premiere, but it is quite amazing.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

The first two or three seasons of House are pretty good. And the beginning of season 4 with the game that introduces Olivia Wilde and Kal Penn is pretty fun, too.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

If nothing else, having that finish line in sight is helping HIMYM throw together a few strong episodes near the end.

Except the kung-fu slap episode. Only Boyz 2 Men saved that one.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Actually, we mostly get the reputation of being the worst forum.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Twee as gently caress posted:

Anyone watching The Crazy Ones? I was really surprised by how funny it was. SMG and Robin Williams are actually the weakest part of the show for me, the supporting cast really shines through and are just absolutely hilarious.

I'm kind of sad there's no thread. More people should be watching the show. The episode with Josh Groban as an old co-worker made me lose it a few times.

I kinda fell off it, but it is definitely enjoyable. They keep the Robin Williams-ing to a minimum.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Oh hey, the American Gods series is still kicking around? Neat.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I was hesitant about True Detective (all the ads made it look like "if you work a dark case the darkness will get to YOU" cliche), but drat if I'm not impressed after the first three episodes, and from what I hear episodes 4 and 5 are brilliant.

With this, House of Cards, and Hannibal to watch, I'm watching some drat good TV recently.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

JR is getting a little old, but making his dad The Fonz was kind of spectacular.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Manos del Sino posted:

The Final Jeopardy category is Movies and here's your clue:

"Archibald Leach, Bernard Schwartz and Lucille LeSueur"

Who are... three people who have never been in my kitchen?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

DirtyRobot posted:

Parks and Rec really, really needs to go for a change, because it's getting super stagnant, and I say this as someone who really loves the show. Something like Leslie goes for Senator or Congressman, April grows up and becomes a city councillor, Tom actually starts a large, very successful business and hangs out with the celebrities he idolizes. Move things forward, even if that means big scary change (i.e. a new set or something*).

* I don't know enough about TV to know how totally unfeasible that is or isn't.

I could see that as an endgame for the series, but they seem to have introduced a new conflict that should carry them to the end of this season, at least.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

IRQ posted:

Maybe he hadn't seen him before? But nah, the VHS video was fine, I recognized him right away.

Just like Mitch Hurwitz last week, Gilligan isn't immediately recognizable unless you're a nerd like us and have read/seen interviews with the guy. Show runners aren't really public faces, unless it's something like a Tina Fey/30 Rock situation.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Hootie's got himself a career singing country music now.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Haddie's been off-screen for a while, but she'll be back sometime around the finale.

I dunno, this season has been okay, but the Joel/Julia plotline is frustrating as hell.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Bad things happen to the Bravermans, but everyone's sort of happy anyway.

Except Ray Romano.

(edit: I'm still like 2 episodes behind but I still expect this Joel/Julia thing to work itself out before the season's done)

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

And the voice of that can of mixed veggies? H. Jon Benjamin.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

When yall were hyping it last year I bought it on Amazon.

No real regrets, even though I think it's free now. It was spectacular and season 2 is reaching new heights.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

They committed to an ending in season 2 and never thought about changing it all the way up to season 9.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

I was catching up on old Modern Family episodes on the DVR, and I just watched their Vegas episode with Fred Armisen, Patton Oswalt, and Stephen Merchant. Holy crap, that's probably the best one they've done in years. It's up there with Woody's wedding from Cheers and "The Two Mrs. Cranes" from Frasier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

Argue posted:

There was some talk of the Buffy ep "Restless" in the other thread, which got me wondering--what episodes of TV shows have had "accurate" portrayals of dreams? By that, I mean eps where the dreams take on a surreal, illogical quality--where maybe that guy from high school was an owl working for Ben Linus and for some reason you're jogging in place the whole time--as opposed to them basically being largely indistinguishable from reality until the reveal that it was all a dream.

The Sopranos was pretty well-known for those; "The Test Dream" in season 5 stands out because I think at least half the episode was a dream.

• Locked thread