Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have to disagree about Easly not being quick. I watched him all this year and he either knew the snap count perfectly every time, or got off the line faster than anyone. There was probably 3 or 4 times a game where I thought he was going to be offsides, only to just be the first one off the line. Also, he plays inside a lot, so he may end up translating to a 3-4 DE rather than a pure pass rusher. However, he tore his ACL, so his stock is going to drop to day 2 or 3, whereas if he was healthy I would easily slot him into round 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I think AJ McCarron would be good for a team like the Browns. He's very stable, makes good decisions, won't blow you out of the water but can get things done.

Also Colt Lyerla got busted for coke so expect his stock to take a tumble.

Coke and weapons. In a post-Hernandez world, he doesn't get drafted.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Time for your weekly reminder that both John Brantley and Jeff Driskell were 5* QBs.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Alouicious posted:

Let me tell you all why Chuckie Keeton is going to light the NFL on fire in 2 years.

Because he gets bullied and so goes full Columbine, literally lighting the NFL offices and stadiums on fire.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bhsman posted:

Mike Evans seems to make a ton of circus catches with Manziel throwing to him, though Marquise Lee should be a safe bet as well.

I may be off a bit, but watching TAMU, it seems that Evans does make a few good catches, but most of his yards come from catching the ball in space and then having the opposing team miss 14 tackles.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah because NFL teams have never passed on a talented player over things like suspicion of doing coke or possibly having a mother who is a prostitute

Even if you disagree that these behavior bits are red flags, don't be so naive as to assume that teams won't care.

There is also a pretty thick line between possible coke habit and got drunk.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

When Calvin Johnson went to Georgia Tech, they weren't running the triple option. He also won the Biletnikoff award and the Paul Warfield trophy and was a two-time All-American and he ran a 4.3 40 at 6'5 and 230 lbs. and had great hands and ran great routes. Maybe the surest of sure things as you can get, save for the fact that the Lions were drafting him.

Also he had Reggie Ball throwing to him and still managed to look good, so that's definitely a sure thing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hey its never too early for a mock draft, and certainly not too early for one with 3 QB's in the top 5.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/2014-nfl-draft-report-full-first-round-mock-222745657--nfl.html

edit: And 4 in the top 7, Derek Carr :lol:

swickles fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 22, 2013

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Derek Carr is really good though

I know he is good but this thread alrady went over a lot of his drawbacks. He could easily go in the top 10, stranger things have happened, but I am not putting money on it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nawid posted:

Raiders fans are the best. Maybe we were terrible at some point but 10+ years of not winning has really mellowed us out.

True, you only stab people in the parking lot instead of shooting them.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

Reggie Wayne and Santana Moss. Also a healthy Dan Morgan and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

A stable of running backs that have amassedyardage larger than the circumference of most European countries.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So who is going to be this year's "measurables" QB? As in some QB that is like 6'5" or taller and 250+ lbs that wasn't terrible in college, but wasn't that great either that GM's all think they can coach into an amazing QB. I guess what I am asking, is who is this years Josh Freeman?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Logan Thomas could be anything from a first round quarterback to a late round tight end depending on how he works out.

Oh man, yeah Logan Thomas is a great choice. Also Morris is only 6'2", and was last clocked in the 4.6 range. Still pretty good, but nothing that stands out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Looks like someone needs to unleash the dragon, Sexy Rexy available.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

Iowa OT Brandon Scherff, who was likely to be on the first round bubble had he entered the draft, is going back to school for his senior year.

For that position, its probably not as bad as for a qb. He won't get that crazy scrutiny and will probably boost his stock into a sure first rounder instead of a bubble.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Awww man its going to be a while until we can see :manning: vs. :romo:.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

God this just signifies how important the draft is. Those prices are insane. Locking up grimes long term will be impossible if that's what top cornerbacks get paid

Everything I have seen and read suggests he isn't going to stay. He said on a radio show he only wanted a one year deal with the Dolphins so he could show he was back to top form after his injury, so he is going to the highest bidder, and its likely going to be Oakland since they will have a poo poo ton of money to spend next year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

b0ng posted:

If an LT ends up being the BPA available for the draft and your team has a hole at RT is it dumb to draft that player #1 to slot him as a RT for for most if not all of his rookie contract? Duane Brown is signed until 2018 and is only 27 or 28 years old. I know the Texans RT position sucks but can't you find good to great RT's later on? At #1 overall (should the Texans get that) wouldn't it be smarter to draft the best QB or pass rusher on the board and leave O-line to later rounds or free agency?

It seems to be working out ok for the Chiefs this year, but its not a guarantee. Some people can transition from one side to the other and some can't.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

We absolutely resign soliai to a good contract. Thanks for everything Starks.

Odrick is pure stud too

Isn't there some friction between Soliai and the front office? Or at least between his agent and them? I thought there was some bitching this year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I've started paying attention to draft prospects, and as a Dolphins fan I'm obviously going to start with the offensive line and I've found Taylor Lewan to be very disturbing and I'm terrified the Dolphins are going to draft him.

It's almost like he's some sort of love-child genetic experiment crossing Jake Long and Richie Incognito. He's a big goofy looking white guy with tribal arm tattoos, he's wearing Long's number, at his school, in his position, and plays stylistically a bit like him. He also has a penchant for playing dirty, will break down into a conflagration of personal fouls in situations he's pissed off. There's also the bit about him making a phone call threatening to rape a woman whom reported his roommate for rape.

It's all very :tinfoil:

On the bright side though I think the Incognito situation will force the Dolphins (maybe some other teams but I doubt more than a handful) to more carefully look at that stuff. Hell, this will also be the first post-Hernandez draft so it will be interesting to see the weight placed upon these events.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Intruder posted:

No prospect has ever been compared to an elite player coming into the draft and ended up busting!

To be fair this is like the first time I have seen a black QB compared to a non-black QB, so progress!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Letting Florida score 16 points is the definition of a blowout regardless how many points you score. The whole defense should have committed ritual suicide for that disgrace.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Benne posted:

In case this hasn't been mentioned yet, the Cowboys and Ravens will do a coin flip at the Combine to determine the 16th and 17th spots, so the top 20 isn't quite finalized yet.

Really things like this should be decided by an arm wrestling match between owners.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Clowney might actually be more disruptive in the pro's than in college. In college you can get away with putting that much attention and playcalling around a single guy like Clowney. That won't fly in the NFL. Although he probably won't be breaking the double and triple teams as frequently as he does now.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bewbies posted:

In the NFL the worst OT he's going to face in any given game is likely better than any he's faced at any point in his college career.

Yeah, but he isn't going to be double and triple teamed on every single snap, with the play being designed to go away from him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Emanuel Collective posted:

Yall are gonna regret your Clowney fascination when ESPN kickstarts its 'Clowney Character Concerns' campaign in a few weeks

It will last until Manziel is spotted having a beer and then all attention will be on him. So about 4 seconds.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I thought it was a good idea if you were the clear #1, because its just less of an opportunity for you to gently caress up. That said, McCarron is no where near the clear or even muddy #1.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

RumbleFish posted:

Connor Shaw has been invited to the combine. Good for him.

I thought he showed good mobility today and a nice touch on his throws. I know he has made some dumb decisions before, but this game he was pretty good. Only 6'1" and a shade over 200 lbs so that is probably a big knock. Still, if the guy has a good Senior Bowl and a decent combine could end up as a Day 2 selection.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The thing about AJ McCarron is that he was viewed (rightly or not) as a game manager. Right or wrong, the guy has that label affixed to him and the only way to get it off is to have an awesome Sugar Bowl (which means Bama has to get away from their run first ball control offense) or have an awesome Senior Bowl. The combine is ok, but its not hard to have a great workout or pro-day when it isn't true competition.

I understand not wanting to play in the Senior Bowl, you are basically being thrown in with a bunch of people and a random coach who may run a completely different system and you have like a week to develop chemistry with receivers, running backs, etc. Despite that, I think unless he feels like he is going to poo poo the bed, the Senior Bowl would be a good thing for McCarron if only to try and shake the "game manager" tag.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rasczak posted:

I didn't think I'd see a worse college QB tattoo than Bray's anytime soon but there it is

You know, I never looked at it closely until now, but it does have his name in there, McCarron at the bottom. Also, Bama Boy at top, Home Team on the left, and God in Control on the right framed around MVI (?). Can anyone make out the writing on the shield in the center?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Gatts posted:

I understand he got hurt, but was Aaron Murray good?

Yeah, he was pretty good. Hard to tell now but as high as round 2, but most likely 3-4.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Arschlochkind posted:

I had a dream last night and during part of it I saw on TV that JFF had decided to stay for one more year at A&M. So I guess everybody can take him off their boards.

Are you the guy that dreamed the Dolphins walk off safety the night before it happened? If not than I am going with Johnny Football in the draft.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kirios posted:

It's only halftime so far, but Bortles isn't playing that well against Baylor.

To be fair there is something funky with the field and it really seems to be affecting receivers routes. Instead of water they must have just sprayed astroglide everywhere.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

My favorite thing about Bortles is that there is almost a near perfect 50/50 split (at least in TFF) over whether its the best football name or worst football name. There is no middle ground.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Roasted Donut posted:

I'm right about everything in regard to the draft

Didn't you hate the Leveon Bell pick?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Intruder posted:

I love that this is considered a qualification

Also this is a pro-Tebow argument too :shobon:

Well, aside from this year, the SEC was a very dominant conference in terms of defense. So to be productive against the defenses of LSU, Florida, and Georgia (again, not this year) is a pretty good accomplishment.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Doltos posted:

I think the Jags would be smart to take Clowney, run the Henne train into the ground, and try for the top QB next year.

There will be a pretty high profile QB prospect coming out of close by school that year...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

has anyone made a bort license plate simpsons parody image macro for him yet?

I think i saw "thinking with bortles" quipped in another thread.

It wad the title of the aftermath thread.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I will never provoke you again, promise. Not even if it means defending my beloved Gators.

RG3 was a top ten pick somewhere around the fourth game of the season when that hype train was running full steam and I think he cemented himself as the #2 guy overall around the time he won the Heisman.

Not just the #2 but there were a few people saying he might go over Luck. It was a minority, but it was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Florida:

QB1: Sexy Rexy
QB2/FB: Tim Tebow
RB: Jeff Demps
RB: Mike Gillislee
WR: Percy Harvin
WR: David Nelson/Riley Cooper
LT: Marcus Gilbert
LG: Pouncey #1
C: Pouncey #2
RG: Xavier Nixon
RT: Max Starks
TE: Aaron Hernandez (net guilty yet!)
TE: Jordan Reed

DL: Carlos Dunlap
DL: Sharriff Floyd
DL: Ray McDonald
DL: Jeremy Mincey
OLB: Jon Bostic
MLB: Brandon Spikes
OLB: Jelani Jenkins
CB: Joe Haden
CB:
FS: Reggie Nelson/Ahmad Black
SS: Matt Elam/Major Right

K: Caleb Sturgis
KR: Demps or Rainey
P:

Stacked at some positions, bereft at others.

• Locked thread