Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How can a quarterback stare down his receivers, have terrible mechanics, underthrow weak passes, and have sloppy footwork while being an off the charts prospect? Is he just tall and handsome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Alex Smith and Harbaugh, too

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Volkerball posted:

And gets 220 yards receiving and wins Super Bowl MVP. :cripes:

for the year or the game?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What are the niners aiming for in the draft? Secondary?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Alex Smith wouldn't have completed the 50 yard bomb to Kearse in the NFC Championship.

Alex Smith let a bunch of bombs go that were promptly dropped by his stone handed receivers. There were two in their last playoff game that were perfectly placed and in stride that were such cringeworthy drops I almost fell off the couch

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

Haven't coached in a year but apparently all you need for parents to trust you around their impressionable teenagers is up to date CPR and a clean drug test.

That and loose pants for your ankle bracelet

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Parmesan Basil posted:

It means smokescreening but I wanted to be funny.

It was funny, just not in the way you intended.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

there is a part of me every year that hopes ben has a season ending injury.

the good part.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The annoying thing is people making no effort posts that aren't funny. This is a place for discussion AND comedy, but if you're not being funny then post some interesting info like Doltos or just stick to reading.

Don't hide behind the comedy excuse for your low effort posts, and drat you for making me defend 1) a giants fan and 2) doltos.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Gruden's QB camp with Manziel was really entertaining last night, he was pretty brutal with him about him not passing to his checkdowns and keeping his RB in pass protection too often when other defenses were just trying to keep him in the pocket and not rush him.

He also went through each of his major and minor injuries and showed him how poorly he played in the next game or two, and also showed him the open receivers that he missed when he was scrambling and got lit up.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

@nfldraftscout: I'm told UCF RB Storm Johnson's visit with the 49ers went very well.

So... there's that. Smokescreen or not, I would not be at all surprised to see the Niners draft an RB this year.

Smokescreen. They have a rehabbed lattimore, frank gore, Kendall hunter, and also that other guy who is probably getting cut

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I wouldn't compare him to Alex Smith. He's got the physical tools to be much better. He's just running an offense that relies on the kinds of traits that Alex Smith possesses. He does have a pretty deep ball, but he also struggles to move the ball at all fairly often, and then Lynch and the defense have to kind of step in to play field position with back and forth punts while the Seahawks inch closer to the red zone. That's not a huge deal because he's great at not turning it over, and he's still developing. I think it's more an issue where Luck is an unbelievable talent and he's so good at everything, and Foles just had the best season for a QB under 25 in history probably, and he didn't even play 16 games. It's hard for anyone to compete with that, even guys who seem poised to be long term top 10 qb's.

Russel Wilson relies on his mobility and he spooks pretty easily. He still disappears for gameslong stretches and has a ton of statlines like 12/16. He's pretty good and doesn't screw up often so I'd be happy with that and a Superbowl for sure, it's just that there aren't many QB's in the NFL who couldn't have easily ridden to the Lombardi on the backs of that defense and Marshawn Lynch.

I think he's going to really develop this year if they address the O line and if Percy Harvin mercifully stays healthy.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I give more credit to the Seahawk receivers more than most it appears. Who knows.

Wilson is good though. I'd take him first outta that division without hesitation

Kaepenick had no one to throw to all year besides Boldin and he did alright. I'd probably take him over Wilson.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

And Vernon Davis... who is amazing and completely underutilized in that offense. Boldin has defined himself as a crafty, boxing WR who can fight for possessions and get you solid yardage.

Saying something like... "he had no one to throw to but Boldin" is like saying he needed to gut a fish, but all he had was a Katana... sure it's not the tool you'd want to use, but it will get the job done, man.

Vernon Davis was mildly concussed all year and Kaep did alright for starting with half a year's experience. Some 9ers poster here did a really detailed effort post about how badly designed their passing game was so I'm more inclined to give him a pass for this year

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bhsman posted:

Part of me would prefer getting a Guard/Tackle, ASJ, Nix, etc., or Mettenberger and having him sit (because the problem isn't his arm strength, unlike Teddy), but Clowney and Teddy in the first two rounds would be amazing.

Did Jacksonville trade for Nick Foles or something while I wasn't looking?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Teddy Bridgewater also sounds like the name someone's mom would use in the sentence

"Well I told you to go out on a date with that nice Teddy Bridgewater that lived across the street but you married Joe and look at where you are now"

"Ma, Teddy Bridgewater married Tommy Galetto and they live in a canary yellow house in Quincy. Joe is a good man!"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rasczak posted:

I will pray for you

He's just trying to deflect from the fact that he's a Steelers fan, don't fall for his smokescreen

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Blitz7x posted:

God bless reddit sometimes

I'm so high on Teddy right now

Has this been parsed into any conclusions?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I thought we definitively proved that statistics are heretical lies and the eye test is the one true God.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

People like College Football because they get to watch their team win almost all their games every year and it makes up for being a Browns, Vikings, Cowboys, or Raiders fan.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kirios posted:

Imagine if you had a stud like Keenan Allen as a long term future #1 that would be the perfect support for a quarterback like Joe Flacco. That offense would have been ridiculous!

Who's a good comparison for Keenan Allen as a WR?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

commy gun posted:

People are still high on Mariota. Why?

So they can talk about it now AND then have months of "Mariota's draft stock is falling" coverage.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Don't turn this into the hockey threads with all the animated gifs and comparisons as to who is what character on what team, seriously.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Clowney and Watt would be really loving cool but if the Texans get offered a billion high picks to trade out I don't know if you can turn it down.

Yeah there's no way Clowney is worth a bunch of picks when you have J.J. Watt and need a quarterback

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wouldn't Romo be the ideal quarterback to sit him behind and trade away though?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Sataere posted:

I've been doing the same thing. I'm only now getting back into it. Just DVRed a bunch of Gruden's QB camps, and I'll spend the next week watching those.

I unashamedly love QB camps. He really smacked Manziel's nose with a newspaper at the end, it was great.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Butthead posted:

I think it speaks to his marketability, which is a legitimate concern from an ownership perspective because they are in it to make money. If the rest of the team sucks, they still want to be able to move merchandise. It isn't a fan friendly point of view, but owners will consider it.

It kinda makes sense in a jaded way. Philly can't do anything to make Nick Foles the face of the franchise because he's basically Joe Flacco's 'bad influence' friend who makes him eat too many gummy bears and try a red bull.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

defiantgiant posted:

Counterpoint: Jay Cutler is the unshaven, scowling, flipping-you-off face of the Bears.

Gruden Voice:

Jay Cutler is a tall, big arm quarterback who can stand in the pocket, take a hit, and just throw strikes. I don't think he has the winning attitude, and the leadership required to lead his team all the way to the Superbowl, but you gotta like this guy.

Edit:

Look at this throw, the game's on the line, and he threads the needle inbetween double coverage, and finds his receiver. Not many quarterbacks can do that. He's shown he's got big game capability, but you gotta minimize your mistakes to make it to the next level.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bewbies posted:

I can as long as I have the data (ie, that's why Garoopopololo isn't on there) but I'm kind of tired of data entry right now. I'll do a couple more if you have any specific requests.

THIS MAN GETS IT

(draft winz)

Nick Foles.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tom Brady, Michael Vick

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

commy gun posted:

His play style and decision making would still be an issue. Plus he'd still only be ~200 lbs and built like a slot receiver.

Well the question is, are you getting Welker or Amendola?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It's amazing. If you change a couple of words in those snippets, those scouts sound almost exactly the same as the old school scouts in Moneyball.

Does he get on base?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Zerilan posted:

This throw is real beautiful and maybe the best "show a gif of a prospect to show how good he is" gif I've seen.

That looks like Drew Brees to me.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder if teams aren't leaking fake information for other teams. Like, "Here, you tell your contacts in the media we've been asking about trading up for JFF and we'll tell ours we heard you're going to trade next year's draft for Sammy Watkins."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

89 posted:

Brandon Cooks keeps getting mocked to the Eagles at 22. Which is cool and all, but I just don't see that happening. He's basically DeSean Jackson v. 2.0, which is a good thing. But I just don't believe the Eagles are gonna get rid of DeSean and replace him with such a similar player. I'm thinking they just want a big reciever and DeSean is not the direction they are wanting to go.

Amongst everything else with him.

They have Riley Cooper and Maclin, they should be OK on the height front.

• Locked thread