Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Q_res posted:

It's a legit Classic, with the Memory Expansion card.

Play “Dark Castle” the way it was meant to be played. I wouldn’t say it’s good by any means, but it is way better than the crappy ports to other systems suggest. We played the crap out of it in high school and I had a friend who beat it.

Also, “Crystal Quest” I think it was? And don’t forget to put some After Dark screensavers on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Fleedar posted:

I’ve been trying to learn some CAD and 3D printer stuff since the pandemic started, and I had no choice but to make my first project some kind of retro computer nonsense.

I posted build details over on r/RetroBattleStations.

:five:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Tac Dibar posted:

All right, I got my slightly beat up TI-99/4A in the mail yesterday. I bought it on the cheap, so no power supply unit and no frequency modulator for the video. This means that right now nothing goes in and nothing comes out. First step will be to build a PSU so that I can power up and see if it works at all.

Showing my ignorance, but I have to ask what the rectangular space to the right of the keys is for...
cup holder?
Ashtray?
Place to set down your “Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy”?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Lol, Adrian’s digital basement guy is gonna flip if he hasn’t already

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

growing up, most of my computing was done through MSDOS (although the very first computer we had in our house was an atari 400 with tape drive). i wanted to talk a little about amiga computing because i spent the past week or so screwing around with workbench in order to get some software to work.

for those who haven't heard of it, video toaster was a hardware/software package for broadcasting. its most prominent use was from 1994 until roughly the mid-oughts. had two NTSC inputs, one output, onboard genlock, the works, all contained in one commercially-available computer system. it was manufactured by newtek, who released the amiga software as open-source back in 2004. problem is, nobody could get it working in emulation because it relied on calls to the hardware that it never got, causing it to crash. nobody working on development for UAE was working on anything close to VT card emulation, and it seemed to me like there wasn't a lot of interest in it.

recently (like 2017 recently), somebody looked through the source code and found a "toasterless" flag. they compiled it with that flag turned on and sure enough, the software works without the hardware. its usefulness as a switcher is...well, that poo poo doesn't work. but the rest of the programs in with it (character generator, paint program, 3d modeler, and whatever chromaFX does that could be summed up in fewer words than i can think of at the moment) still have a lot of functionality.

somehow i've stumbled out of the intersection between regular dumbass and alternative dumbass and got the whole thing working. i think i have made a package with less bells and whistles to set up for those who'd like to screw around and/or make some analogue horror type poo poo with it-- would there be any interest if i were to share the hardfiles i built to get there? i mean, i know the kickstarter roms are still commercially available so i wouldn't include them with it, but as a broadcasting tech dipshit i figured there might be one or two goons who could get a kick out of it as well.

I will never run this but it’s very cool. You should tweet or whatever it to Cathode Ray Dude

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

That is super cool… great setup.

I wish I lived somewhere with meetups and such. 4th largest city in the US and I can’t find a single retro computer / tech interest group around here

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

iirc a lot of the physical computer console props like that are video editing or video mixing controllers, since they tend to have a lot of colored buttons, weird controls, and lights everywhere. The Death Star laser controls, for example.

I can’t think about this without hearing that sound when the Death Star is ready to fire and the guy moves the T-bar

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Data General 8086 luggable with an inbuilt oscilloscope

Gonna need a pic of this… sounds incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

That is freakin amazing