Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Majumbo posted:

Some "recent" or upcoming quality of life improvements include

-Using the delivery box in your mog house!
-New, free 80 slot bag accessible everywhere!!
-Select the title screen music you want!!!

Oh man, why did they not put this in earlier?

I really miss this badass music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqlfxHDAfws

Also, I really like this one too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oQ9J-HJm5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The CoP and WoTG title screen songs are hands down the best they did, and I found it heartbreaking that they removed them from the game.

Even though the game was at perhaps its most brutal, rear end raping stage during CoP, whenever I logged in, that title screen music got me pumped. It's like, you're logging in, ready to go on a fantastic adventure!

I mean, if you consider sitting in your mog house chatting with your linkshell and waiting forever for invites an adventure, that is.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Last time I played, I had a RDM99 and SMN99, but it was a royal pain in the rear end to get AF3 and especially get it upgraded. Is getting OK gear still a pain? In addition, the log cutting \ beehive breaking events in SoA at launch were sort of not fun and all I could do in them is go there to die. Is it still like this?

If you already have a couple 99s, with level 75 gear, how hard is it to get the new, good gear? Could you then plow through the ToAU and WoTG expansions solo?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Kongming posted:

I did most of WotG solo as a 99 NIN in mostly abyssea gear, and there are still points that are really god drat frustrating without a WHM for the sole reason that you have idiot NPC companions for certain missions that aren't allowed to die and do their best to pull every single mob they can onto them. DNC sub usually isn't enough to keep them alive so I would fail fights that I could've breezed through if they weren't there.

ToAU I had completed way back at 75 cap but I imagine it is easy up to the final boss.

CoP is definitely a push over, even though you didn't mention it. I think the only thing that is still annoying to solo are the 4 pots in Garden of Ru'hmet because of the AoE magic spam.

I've already beaten Zilart, CoP and got Rank 10 in Windurst.

Really all I care about doing in FFXI is getting Rank 10 in Sandy and Bastok, finishing ToAU (I'm like, halfway through), WoTG and then I would probably be done. I don't really care about the Abyssea storyline. The problem is, it's been so long I've already forgotten half of what happened in ToAU so it's a little silly.

A feature they should add into FFXI is being able to replay storylines without having to register a new character. Yes, you can also re-do BCNMs and find a bunch of bards \ footprints to replay cutscenes but it's not quite the same now, is it? CoP is cool and easy enough now that it would be cool to run through it again as it's been years since I've done it. I wonder how hard it would be to have a "replay mission" option, or the ability to cancel a mission you're replaying if you don't want to do it a 2nd time.

I played XIV a bit. I got a DRG to lvl 50 on 1.0, made a 2nd account and messed around with WHM and got to about 20ish, then lost interest. Nowadays I have serious MMO ADD and only seem to be able to stick with one for a couple months these days.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Part of me almost wants to resub to the game so I can get Lion and Aldo and other named characters are summonable party members but nobody plays it anymore and I don't have enough time so I'd play it for a bit and get bummed out.

If FFXI went free to play or lessened the monthly fee I'd probably be all over it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It seems like tomorrow, returning users can return for a week. I'll probably play for a week and check out this trust magic thing. It seems like with 500 login points you can unlock Naja.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

While I play for the free week, I guess the goon shell is pretty much dead? Where did everyone go? Various endgame shells? Games that aren't old and dead? It's "Getout" now, right? I can't remember if I have the new pearl or not. Guess I'll find out when I log on. If I log on tonight and the update doesn't take 2 hours and can figure out how to navigate the Square Enix account maze and get my free week.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I'm kind of interested in FFXI. I was pretty hooked on FFXIV for about 9 months, but eventually burned out due to dumb raid drama. I miss old-style grinder MMOs; how does FFXI hold up for brand new players these days?

FFXI is super unintuitive, complicated and clunky. It doesn't hold your hand at all. There is no minimap telling you where to go or tooltips or tutorials telling you how to do X. You need to have the wiki open at all times so you know what to do. It's super unfriendly to new players.

That said the game is very easy if you know what you're doing and you can solo to 99 pretty fast and blaze through all the old story missions using NPC party members. I just cleared the last few Treasures of Aht Urghan missions over the weekend.

Overall I think I like FFXI better than FFXIV though because it 1) feels more like one of the SNES FF games, 2) has a better story \ world \ lore, 3) I like classic the job system a lot better, 4) it's no longer the horrible kick to the balls it used to be and is very easy at level 99, 5) there is WAY more content as the game is much older and 6) I'm a grumpy old man who hates change. I also think I prefer mindlessly killing mobs over and over to grind over running around doing fetch quests WoW style, too. The combat is also much slower so you can veg out and watch TV while playing.

I think FFXIV is probably a perfectly fine game if you weren't into FFXI back in the day. Maybe I'll like FFXIV after the first expansion comes out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I just moved to Asura because a friend is on that server and it has a bigger population. I thought about joining the reddit one but they seem really uptight:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/2axr93/are_you_playing_on_the_asura_server_join_the/

IF YOU SAY ANYTHING THAT HURTS ANYONE'S FEELINGS SLIGHTLY YOU ARE OUT BUSTER

Playing with goons was cool because goons will make fun of people and flagrantly cheat and stuff.

I suppose if nothing else I could join that and only talk about in-game things and never make jokes or casual conversation with anyone. That might be hard.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

October update! Everyone* gets a+ weaponskills

*rdms are not people

Goddamn it.

Well, at least getting Atomos is cool.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Wow, it seems like SOA finished up fairly fast. Then again, maybe that's just because ToAU and WoTG took years to finish.

I wonder if they're going to do another expansion next year. I would really go for finally getting to Tenzen's homeland after they've hinted at it since like, Zilart. That, or going further west and doing like, a Wild Arms style wild west expansion would be rad as gently caress.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Maybe I'll resub for November so I can get Lion and\or Aldo. SE you fiends.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

There's a free login campaign going on, all accounts are active.

Hell yeah. $12 less to spend.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Huh is there winds up being an active goon shell on asura, I might play again

I thought about joining the reddit shell, but then I looked at their subreddit and went noooope

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

It's...okay. The members are nice, and only one person on it so far has been a dweeb, flipping out about "spoilers." Still, I am definitely down for a goon shell. Lemme see if I can log in in a sec.

Well I mean I haven't resubbed or anything yet, probably won't for a while. Would be cool to finish up the WoTG missions which I never did. I'll ask a friend of mine if he wants to do it again.

We resubbed, did dyna farming for a day then we were like meh and forgot about the game

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The local game store has a PS2 HDD with FFXI for $25 and I've considered getting that just for shits and giggles, but of course I realize it's going to be drat near impossible to get all the expansions for it.

In fact, I'm not quite sure what happens when you have all the expansions and log into a machine that doesn't have them installed.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

It is impossible for you to get SoA for the PS2, as well. No Adoulin for you, mister.

Yeah, granted I have SoA for PC and 360, and FFXI is absolutely the worst on PS2 but the HDD is $25 and well I wouldn't need PS2 memory cards anymore.

Also I'm curious as to what happens. I wonder if I can log in but just not go to expansion areas, or if I can't log in at all.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Windurst is the nicest looking town although it's also the largest and hard to navigate if you don't know about all the secret warps and poo poo, bastok is not-america and has Cid but also has the ugliest starter zone.

People usually pick Sandy because it's the castle town but what they don't realize is it's filled with rear end in a top hat elves and it has terrible bagpipe music.

I like Windy the most, tarus are pretty funny, it looks the best and the outside areas are pretty all right. Also mage jobs are the most fun jobs in FFXI, melees are usually kinda boring (with some exceptions.) I kinda feel like it's the opposite in FFXIV.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hivac posted:

Say what you want about Gustaberg's looks, but I still think it has the best music out of all three of them. :colbert:

I actually hate gustaberg's music because one part sound like the star trek theme but a few notes are off and it drives me nuts
:goonsay: :spergin:

Both Ronfaure and Sarutabaruta have pretty baller music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIKLgf2S5I8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDsAIyo2Sd0

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Kazy posted:

Bastok is lame and ugly,
Windurst is big and confusing.

San d'Oria for life. :c00lbert:

san d'oria is filled with french people

FOR THE HORDE

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zombie Souffle posted:

I see you, changing what I said. I'm an rear end in a top hat elf so of course I suggest San D'oria. The bagpipe music is fuckin' awful, I will agree to that. San D'oria [S]'s theme makes up for it. Bastok is ugly and Cid has about 30 extra teeth he doesn't need.

Cid's constant rape face is part of his charm. It's almost like Square outsourced his character design to Bethesda.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I guess I might resub soon so I can have one last hurrah on this game before SE pulls the plug on all the servers. :smith:

Never did finish WoTG or Alduin's storylines, should probably do that while I still can.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I may not currently play right now, but the thought of never being able to play a game I loved again is pretty awful. We all knew this would eventually happen going into it, but it never really sunk in. Imagine if Nintendo smashed every copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 and you could never play it again. I'm not used to books, movies and games getting lost forever. :( This game is (thankfully) not a part of my life anymore but I still have a ton of nostalgia for it.

Male of the Century posted:

Well if the end is finally in sight I wonder if private servers will be able to many any real headway in the next couple years. Even the best ones currently have broken scripting and missions work only part of the time at best. Most of them don't even have any of the content past level the standard 75.

IIRC most everything, including dialogue for story missions and the like is server side. So FFXI private servers are really, really basic and bugged and don't really come close to replicating the actual thing.

I wish when an MMO dies and the plug the plug on the servers, the devs would release the stuff necessary for you make a private server. We all know SE and they wouldn't ever do this, but it would be nice. :(

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Kazy posted:

FYI, the servers are still going to be running "for the foreseeable future", we just won't be getting major updates (except mobile port?)

Yeah but I can't imagine a lot of people playing when there isn't any new content. Hell, barely anybody plays now. They could probably reduce it to 1 server.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Well that is some weird news.

I dunno how this game could ever work on a cellphone, so I'm pretty sure that FFXI mobile has to be a new game. And I guess it's separate from Grandmasters? That said, mobile gaming is where it's at now in Japan. Consoles are near death. Mainstays like Capcom and Sega have really been struggling with console games and have shifted their focus onto mobile shovelware.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If it's the year of our lord two thousand and fifteen and your computer can't run this old rear end game, I dunno what the gently caress, man. I mean, they're making a drat cellphone version of it for godsakes.

Of course, I don't know how this game would be even close to remotely playable on a touchscreen. They were talking about maybe doing a PSP or Vita version years back and even then I figured it would be a nightmare to play on those. And they actually have buttons.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If I weren't for Abyssea I would have never even considered playing this game again after I ragequit it around ToAU's time and everyone who says Abyssea ruined FFXI by making it accessible to casual players who like to have lives outside of a video game is a self diagnosed aspergers basement dweller.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

The S-E mindset seems to be no freemium. They should at least cut the monthly fee in half.

I love FFXI and I had a ton of fun playing it back in the day, but there is no way in hell that it is still worth $13 a month. It hasn't been for a long time.

Weren't Everquest subs like, $2 a month 5 years ago?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Its been free for quite some time. I usually jump on in anniversary months and dick around with fableds.

I'll follow their twitter and sometimes they'll make it free for a week or two and I may hop on when I see them tweet that

Is it like..... permanent now?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I was playing FF6 and Theatrythm on my plane ride so I'm in Final Fantasy mode again and I've gotten the urge to resub to this poopy game. I might do it after work today or tomorrow if I don't pass out from jet lag first. I already have a character on Asura.

Also a part of me thinks I should try to beat FF3, 12 or 13 because those are the only numbered ones I haven't beaten yet if we're not counting 14 and direct sequels. Maybe I'll just watch a let's play of FF3 DS or FF13 because man those games are a struggle...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah 12 isn't bad or anything, I've just gotten bored and quit whenever I try playing through, though. They did a FF10 HD remake, I'd rather have FF12 HD with the international zodiac stuff in it so I could beat that game. I liked FF10 okay back in the day but I dunno if I'd enjoy it now and have the need to play through it again. Never did beat X-2 either but eeeehhh.

While we're on the subject of sequels, FF4 the After Years on Wii was lovely as gently caress and I never played the 13 sequels at that requires me playing through FF13, Jesus God

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I beat FF10 and not FF12 so I think that speaks for itself. I just want an HD FF12 because I haven't ever beaten it and the international version that we never got was improved.

I did come really close to getting the HD FFX \ X-2 for PS3 but decided against it because I do have those games already.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Is it the end of ALL content or just storyline content? Because if it's the former, no one is going to play anymore and the game will most definitely die a slow death. :(

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

All major content. They mentioned that small tweaks could be possible (i.e. high-tier versions of other fights) but probably nothing that would mean new models or new zones. After November the game is probably going to be put on an even smaller skeleton crew to handle bug fixes and change up the login campaign items monthly.

Least they could do is add Bahamut as a summon before they yank the plug on the servers. Because once they cut off new content, I can't see very many people jumping to pay $13 a month for this.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hopefully you don't have to beat all the Abyssea or SoA storyline to finish Rhapsodies because lol gently caress that noise.

That said it would be really fuckin' rad if they finally added Bahamut as a summon.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Gruknor posted:

SoA and Abyssea missions are really easy to do. SoA missions have bcnms that cap out at ilvl109, the rest are cutscenes and easy peasy quests. Abyssea is a huge pain, but you can solo most of it. Just beg and plead in goon ls or on the forums for help. When you complete the abyssea missions, you can fight a nm that can drop a twilight torque/mail/helm/robe/belt/dagger/scythe, and the rr atma. When you complete SoA missions you get to choose a nifty ring from a list of nifty rings, some more nifty than others.

Ah, I thought I wouldn't be able to solo those. Okay, if they're really easy, I'll see if I can't beat them. I'm subbed to XIV right now as I flipped a coin between that and this, but I think I'm definitely going to dabble in this again in may during the free period at least.

I might play this game for 2 months every year for the past few years, but this was my first mmo, it's pretty close to my heart and it's giving me a major case of the sads to see it end, even though I knew it was inevitable. So many memories playing this lovely old game... :smith:

Eh, I'm all right with this. Didn't expect it ever.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I kind of get a kick out of the lengths they go to reuse assets because the FFXI dev team is like, a single intern and the janitor. They can't even make new zones that are made from copy\pasted segments FFXIV 1.0 style. :lol:

I've kind of talked about this game ad nausem while not actually playing it, but I think I'm actually gonna resub for realsies now because SE is dangling some cool Trusts like Lion and Zeid in front of my face.

I should really beat WoTG and SoA anyway. Is it possible to solo Abyssea's story? I recall that you had to beat like, a bunch of NMs in the zone to progress and that sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Last time I subbed, me and a buddy of mine were like "yeah, we're gonna farm dyna currency so we can upgrade our relic armor!", duoed dyna for a day and we were like "gently caress, this is gonna be tedious, maybe not lol"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Valle posted:

I've been running around on MNK soloing zone bosses in Abyssea and poo poo. Kinda depends on the boss, but several of them are quite soloable with 99 and ilevel gear. Farming dynamis currency/alexandrite is a bit tedious still, but come on guys. This is FFXI. There has to the be SOME tediousness, right? :v:

Yeah, that's true. I was a different person when I started FFXI, though. I was 14. I'm 28 now and I like, work and do other stuff. I never want to play pre-Abyssea FFXI again. This is why pretty much every private server I've seen doesn't interest me.

It's really fun just playing through story poo poo in Nu-FFXI though and I guess I can always settle for normal ilvl gear if I'm too lazy to upgrade my AF2 set. I mostly like them for the looks and SE added a semi-glamour thing to the game, even though it resets whenever you zone.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BLU is fun and I would recommend that if getting all the spells wasn't such a pain in the rear end.

RDM and SMN are my only 99 jobs but I think both are fun to play. Too bad they both suck.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I always wanted to play pally, but I've always been told that I need either an Aegis or an Ochain to not be poo poo and I'm just not going to do that.

RDM is really good for solo. It's a great job if you want to play casually and aren't into endgame stuff. Which is the best way to play, tbh.

The newest spell they added is a little insulting, though. Oh gee, a spell that powers up skillchains. And it doesn't work on self-skillchains. Thanks guys.

SMN is also fun and cooler than SMN in XIV by a fuckton. It's usefulness is pretty situational, though. And that's being generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I played a few days during the freebie week and I just went and resubbed. Hopefully I can earn enough points to get some good stuff from now till Thursday and I didn't blow my cash. I did get Zeid who is cool. I wonder if I want Star Sybil, the Jeuno Zilart lady with the unpronounceable name or if I should get that expertise ring. I know someone said something about a good limited time ring or item for xp that I should get.

I already know about the Rhapsodies KIs, I think there was something else in addition to that?