Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
How hilariously overpowered are those new weapons compared to any of the pre-SoA content? On one hand I want to resub and pick some of them up so I can farm up and kill a bunch of stuff I struggled against in the past, but then I'm not sure it'd even be worth doing anymore since the new gear is so out of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Yeah I'm looking at some of the new weapons and it seems like you could just completely wreck Abyssea NMs and make any emperyan you want over the span of a weekend. Might be worth it to finally make an ochain, but I don't know if I'd actually get any use out of them.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

frodnonnag posted:

ochain is still quite viable, and i believe they lowered the requirements to get it now.

Oh? Has there been a list put together somewhere that reflects the new requirements? I'm trying to google it but I'm not sure if I'm looking for the wrong thing, or the fact that the update has only been out for a couple days means nobody's compiled it yet.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Tachi: Fudo seems weak compared to Shoha, and without the aftermath of an Emperyan I'm not sure it's worth using at all.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Ugh, where the heck do you get a Hoe from? I'm trying to google it but it doesn't seem to exist.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

So I could get my rdm up to 99, go to SOA and buy the 106 weapons, then go back to regular vanadiel and just wreck poo poo?

How easy are leveling parties to find now that everyones levels are presumably capped?

Yes. An unfortunate side effect of this fun novelty is that all the old content has been 100% invalidated by new gear so the effect wears off very fast.

A positive side effect, however, is that now it's really easy to go back and do anything and everything that kept the "itch" going, and finally quit the game for good.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Ok so I'm an idiot and am interested in this game again, but it seems like the only content to really do is delve/skirmish (is that the same thing?) and the new ark angel fights. I'm almost done building an Aegis and finished off an Ochain so I'll be able to handle the ark angels soon enough, but in the mean time I have no idea how to even begin with delve/skirmish. I've looked around at the various wikis and they involve key items and simulcarium and and stones and beads and I just got horribly lost. The good news is that people are shouting that they need paladins every 10 seconds for this stuff, but I don't want to join a group if I then have to immediately leave when we go to do something and I'm locked out.

I've done all the wildskeeper fights and have all those key items, but aside from that I don't even know where to begin, help me goons!

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
10 years later and they finally add the ability to see your party members combat resources without having to use TParty, and gathering nodes have a graphic so you don't have to break your tab button. Truly they are making great strides in the quality of life department.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
2 thieves and a white mage (triple boxed, so individually would be even faster) can get close to 1,000 ancient currency per visit if you're good about knowing what mobs are good to proc during what times. Valkurm is particularly easy to run a tight circut with mobs that are all easy to link up into large groups and mow down quickly.

Dancer can wear the tarutaru sash with TH+ on it that you can get from gold boxes in abys-latheine but that's it as far as I know. With THF you don't even have to sacrifice weapon damage for a thief's knife anymore because of the new dagger!

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Dynamis is very simple, you just follow some easy steps based on the very fundamental rule of whether or not you can get TH and/or red procs.

1: Without at least 1 of those it will be a complete waste of time.

2: If you can only get one of those it will be tedious and a long grind with very little reward. 100% red procs will alone, in the long run, give you more currency than 100% TH alone, and the opposite is true for AF. Only do this if you're farming for a particular AF item or have an abundance of time and literally no concept of self worth.

3: If you can get both and can kill fairly quickly then you can actually use Dynamis as a source of revenue or to create a relic in a couple months, depending on how lucky you are with ~4 currency drops and 100 pieces and if you've been going at it every day.

If you're shooting for a relic, it's best to farm dreamland areas until you are on the last stage so you can continue to build up your currency during the hourly cycle even after the amount you need, so you can sell the surplus and buy more of whatever you're lacking. It's always the most efficient to run a circuit of mobs that will proc to job abilities than it is to cherry-pick a particular method, so you will wind up with lots of all 3 types of currencies.

BONUS: If you can dualbox (or more!?) you will become an internet billionaire.

I have done a lot of dynamis and I'm sure anybody else who's put together a relic in the last few years will tell you the exact same thing.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 12, 2014

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

LiquidFriend posted:

I think that's tied to JA0Wait within cupper. I had that issue after an update months ago (that changed a lot of code structure; guess this one also did) and I stopped using it ever since.

Upon further review, everything that uses fface is broken as hell right now.

Kind of funny that the new best Monk weaponskills are now Raging Fists (if attack is capped) or Howling Fist (if attack is not capped). Also with the new fTP values, basically you'd have to be dumb to choose anything besides the TP Bonus earring for clearing WotG. If you're a lazy rear end like I am, I'd suggest doing Wings of the Goddess now.

Fface got updated today but for some reason I can't get to the website to download it and see if it actually works. Maybe you'll have better luck though!

Also don't worry there's a gambot v4 coming soon (oh god it hurts to laugh so much)

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 20, 2014

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

LiquidFriend posted:

I use cupper (won't play FFXI without it), but I leave any form of JA0Wait completely off.

They updated it twice in the same day. The second one got gambot working again after I hosed with some settings.

Have you found a way to get it to stop trying to spam weaponskills without enough TP? I tried setting it to 999 instead of 100 but still nothing.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Gruknor posted:

They can still see you when you go through walls or make yourself levitate. You really need to be careful with cupper's/clipper's maintenance mode. I sneak/invis myself just to be on the safe side. Players can still target you, but it is harder to see if you are doing anything that you should not be doing.

It also seems like a lot of walls and gaps you would want to use maintenance to walk through/across now have teleport zones attached to them which punt you back to the nearest walkable surface as soon as you enter. It makes getting around Adoulin considerably more annoying if you don't have all the traversal key items at least.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
So they just remembered that Ninja was still a job in this game then? I still can't wrap my head around how there being no wildskeeper or delve katanas was just something that happened for over a year.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The reason why the horns are so much easier is because HOLY poo poo SOULS.

I actually farmed up all of my horns before I even started on the souls phase because I knew I wanted to finish the shield, but also knew that without some sort of motivator, the souls phase would break me. Killing deelgeed on NIN was super easy, and even the petrify wasn't much of a threat with some decent evasion. Being able to proc red and then going straight to the dragon and burning it as fast as I could without caring about proccing or treasure hunter only took me 2 weekends to finish all the horns. Deelgeed respawns in like 10-15 minutes, almost exactly as much time as I needed to kill the dragon each time. I'm not sure where you're fighting it, but there's a little cave off ot the side right by it's spawns that pouts you out of aggro range of all the skeletons which is very helpful.

It's also worth noting that the dispel does remove all your cruor status buffs, but does not remove atmas, and at higher gear levels the atmas are giving you a much bigger bonus than just the flat status boosts and % health (ninja is getting like 6 ranks of HP+ in the next patch I think anyways). The additional effect: curse is pretty much the only danger of that whole fight and you can mostly ignore it by just keeping up shadows or carrying some holy waters if you want to be extra safe. If you've got i115 or better you'll be getting hit by the -ga spells for only a couple hundred when you're unlucky, but temps should be able to handle that no problem, and there's a martello nearby for when you're done.

This is all probably even easier now since they unlocked the emperyan weaponskill and actually added in some new 115/119 katanas that you can enchant for a better offhand than the twilight knife I used.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Souls were definitely awful. I ended up buying around half of mine because it was so bad. Seems a bit better now without the competition, but in Abyssea days it was extra stupid.

Abyssite NMs are one of the worst systems SE has ever come up with.

Uleugrand was pretty much empty because everyone was scared of the final tidal wave (which admittedly got rocky sometimes), but it 1-shot me once or twice, and with auto reraise it was easy to stand back up and whack the thing (it's at 1HP) before it could despawn. There were days when I could actually farm 20+ souls if I got lucky, but there were also a couple days where I'd be lucky to get 5-10. They definitely changed the respawn on the t3 vNMs to be 10-15 minutes which was a godsend, because going into it I thought I was going to have to wait an hour to even fight the thing. They were also way easier than the dragon because I could use /DNC without losing out on the ability to get the key items (colors don't give a gently caress about anything), so that was nice as well. I did a couple Brulos (total pushover) and a handful of the Diabolos fights at the very end just to speed things up, but the terror spam and sleep/dot was pretty rough at times.

Holyshoot posted:

Came back to wanting to play bard and then realized how awful it would be to get empy +3 gear. Without help abysea is awful

There's a charity flute now that gives you an extra song that's piss easy to get. You'd probably die before you got the +2 extra songs duradbla these days anyways. At least the shield still has something useful and unique going for it right off the bat.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Kazy posted:

I also have WHM and RDM at 99, and I think WAR is pretty high up there, but they are even worse geared :negative: RDM hasn't been geared since 99 was first introduced, and I don't even have a full set of Empy+1

What's all this about Trust? Is it kind of like the personal NPCs?

They're a lot smarter than the regular NPC and they're also specialized based on the summon, and are always at the same level as you are. There are tanks, DPS casters, melee, healers, and bards. They get some unique abilities and a wide array of weapon skills and spells, plus some passives (the thief ones give you treasure hunter 1). The nice thing is that you can summon them in to a lot of different battlefields and missions, along with some of the endgame content if you're stuck trying to solo everything, and you can have 3 at a time, which means they'll dominate lower tier open world content since they scale to your item level. You can summon your NPC on top of having 3 trust summons, but the normal NPC has much stricter limits on when and where they can be summoned, and you have to actually get XP to level it up for it to be even close to worthwhile. I don't think they've factored in any sort of item level scaling on the regular NPC either.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Valkurm is pretty big and whenever I was farming there it was always the best option, even with me and 3 other guys making the same circut. Following JA times go sheep > funguars > trees (whatever one is currently on the clock) in the northwest area for the best results, but flytraps > hippogrifs > Manticores at the west beach works too, they're just more annoying mobs in a riskier location. Don't bother spawning any of the nightmare NMs, they take FOREVER to kill and don't have much of a chance to drop 100's anyways, and stay vigilant on throwing out all the extra bullshit you'll be picking up (or just set up lightluggage to loot currency and pass on everything else if you're in a group).

Cleaving with an ochain is really fun, but if you want to pull an entire zone you gotta get good at finding walls with odd angles to cram yourself into.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I dual-boxed my way from 45-100 so it's very possible. Lamp floors suck but are doable, but if you're using clipper to boost your speed then you can usually do 10 floors in a non-lamp set anyways, so getting a really nasty lamp floor probably just means you're only going to do 5 instead of 10. Multiple lamp floors that aren't just "Hit this lamp once" will probably be a wash as far as progress goes. Overall it's not as demoralizing as it used ot be though, because instead of losing your shot at 5 floors each tag, you're covering a lot more ground faster in the long run. 55 floors took me about 6 tags and I had some really nasty huge zone + enemy leader type floors I ran into a lot.

6 people would probably be able to do 15-20 if things went well and someone was able to hit the rune quickly enough.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
You get credit after every floor, but you only get to start on every 5th floor.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
I finally finished making an Aegis and now I just don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Gruknor posted:

Burtgang is best.

I'd totally be down to make and upgrade a burtgang but I'd be better off making the great katana for my samurai and I don't want to make 2. I thought they took heavy metal plates so I just ignored these all together but I see now that they don't and that I am probably insane enough to give it a shot...

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 2, 2014

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Can't you just get that new 119 harp and call it a day? People only seem to care about having the extra song, not how strong it is.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
3 mil is a day in Dynamis if you're good with proccing. The upgraded harp does do 4 songs, yeah, but who is honestly going to sit through the riftcinder AND heavy metal plate farming process if the original colorless souls/horns grind is likely going to burn them out in the first place? Getting all 4 songs is literally the worst possible grind you can currently do in the game, it's worse than a Mythic because at least with that you can just do salvage and NNI every day to farm alexandrite and also potentially getting some really nice macro pieces from NNI, while making progress on clearing assaults for your book or killing the HNMs for titles or doing Einherjar for building up an Odin clear. A DHarp is boring at just kill 50 ironclads, kill 75 VNMs, kill a dragon that can wreck you 75 times, then do voidwatch for either 2000-????? times. Yes it might take less time overall if you get lucky, but with a Mythic you're always pushing forward little by little. Why do you think you never see a level 99 Ochain?

Alternatively you could farm Dynamis for a day or two, buy the parts you need, and then go as thief to any of the merit point BCNMs because people actually like using Treasure Hunter in those to get yourself a clear and open up access to the JSE weapons to buy a harp and then boom, you can go to the events you think you're locked out of currently.

This is pretty much what I did for my Samurai by the way. I made an Ochain for my paladin to get my foot in the door, then got clears and upgrade items, then funneled everything into my SAM and now I'm having fun whacking poo poo for 15k every 5 seconds and have piles of upgrade items laying around to actually bring my paladin up to par, and even gear out a WHM and a MNK and can farm more merit points than I know what to do with in 10 minutes.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 3, 2014

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Unless you're getting picked up by super elitist rear end in a top hat groups, just the fact that you have 3 songs will be enough to work with. Having the proper gearswaps and macro pieces will make more of a difference than just having a relic anyways. The only thing you need the multiple song instruments for are for actually singing that third bonus song when you start casting it, for everything else you can swap around gear and be good.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Does the step timer reduction work on dancer as a subjob? It's going to be raining Dynamis currency if it does.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
There's a huge initial grind to get caught back up with everything, but once you do and you can start doing the newest content there's... not a whole lot to offer. This game really lives or dies on your desire to steamroll old content you may never have done before, or how badly you want to make R/M/E weapons.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
It's mostly the following: Grind merits > buy KIs to enter new BCNMs (and repeat) > Maybe do Delve for money drops > maybe do skirmish for money drops > maybe do limbus/dynamis/salvage for currency drops.

There's no new top tier grind unless you somehow count incursion farming for perfect capes, it's all just grinding out ilvl 119 gear and then just sort of doing a whole lot of not much.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Place Ad Here posted:

That is what I was afraid of. I miss the exp parties, sky, dynamis, sea, salvage, einherjar. That era at 75 before abyssea was the most fun in an MMO i've ever had. It was brutal, it was draining, it was very very very tedious, but it was rewarding as poo poo.

I guess I won't return if that is the new state of ffxi :(

Yeah games like that don't exist anymore for a reason. I'm pretty sure there's a goon run EQ 1 server though if that's what you're looking for.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Gruknor posted:

I think they are just trying to get people to join the goonshell. There is no reason why you should not join the Goonshell. FFXI allows you to join as many LS as you want. You just need to sacrifice 1 inventory slot per linkpearl. SE said they were going to allow people to be in two LS at once, so if that ever happens, I bet the goonshell will get a few more goony goons.

They're adding server wide teams without member caps with their own chat channel, so that's pretty awesome.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Those reward rings are all absolutely insane for how easy the missions are to do.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
As cool as the build up to the last boss was, and with how the 3 fights previous were actually sort of difficult (Is the poison boss the first time they've ever done damage pools in a BC?), I have to say I'm really disappointed in those final 2 fights. The first one I just whittled down solo on my paladin, and the second one I had someone heal the princess every now and then when it did the hate reset move but that was it. IRL Dracula did all the heavy lifting :( I don't think I was even in the yellow at any point aside from when he would put weakness on me.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
A timer to count down to the next window, looking up which placeholder the mob is, and using the widescan everyone has now to only kill that mob. Watch a movie or do something else in-between windows. Lottery spawns are still the worst thing about the game and there is nothing to be done.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
The set bonuses were pretty awesome for general use, and they enhanced all sorts of skills. The current 119 AF is good and all, but it doesn't really have much flavor to them, just loads of stats.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
someone posted this a few pages back, it's a nice updated cupper with some neat map stuff.

projecttako.com/index.php

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
They increased the respawn timer, it's just "They spawn once every couple days" now instead of once a week.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Well if the end is finally in sight I wonder if private servers will be able to many any real headway in the next couple years. Even the best ones currently have broken scripting and missions work only part of the time at best. Most of them don't even have any of the content past level the standard 75.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
There was no mention of mergers or subscription fee changes, they only announced 2 different mobile games (a possible mobile port of 11 exclusive to japan at first, and a game set within vana'diel. Nobody seems to really know anything about either of these) and the free 3 part patch to wrap up all future content in a "greatest hits" type scenario pushed out as larger content patches that will culminate in November. The game will still exist, but is dropping PS2 and 360 support so they might be able to make inventories less infuriating. They will continue to put out "We changed PUP again" patches for the next 99999999999999999999999 years.

That is the extent to what was announced and if anyone says differently they are simply speculating at this point.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Trotting out fan favorites for one last hurrah sure seems to be what they're going for. If they hand it off to nexon and they decide to come up with something later then that's cool, but everything they talked about was very much "After this we're hand's off".

See also: "We plan for this to be a grand conclusion to the FINAL FANTASY series' first MMORPG".

But hey at least this is cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Abyssea was cool as far as character progression goes, but the story was pretty much non-existent. Adoulin is possibly the most boring storyline and overall expansion they have added yet, even if it did bring about the new ilevel gear (which is really just their solution for not being to raise the level past 99 since the game is coded to work on a lite-bright). The entire story is all politics, and it doesn't even have any intrigue until about halfway through, and even still you have absolutely no idea what you're really up against until the final few missions. If you never even got through the story of WoG, and I wouldn't blame you since it took like 3 years for them to finish it, then you are much better off just having fond memories of the golden Zilart/CoP/Treasures era.

Kazy posted:

Hey, sorry, you're wrong :colbert: It was awesome to have a "What If" scenario where you lost against Promathia

That was a neat concept for the alternate dimension and on the whole I enjoyed Abyssea for the breath of fresh air it brought with the level cap raises and all the new gear with content being easily accessible by small groups, but on the whole they did nothing with the story and it's on par with Voidwatch with no sense of agency. You simply invade a world that has been destroyed and kill it's god to save what's left of this lovely existence. You are left in the dark about what happened or why until the very last minute, and even still everything is completely without any sort of urgency so why bother.

The biggest problem with it is that it was made obsolete with Seekers of Adoulin, like all the rest of the old content, but with those you could at least play through it to see some cool cutscenes and meet some interesting characters.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 20, 2015