Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm disappointed Trent thinks audiophile woowoo is cool.

The best part is that PonoMusic is a terrible device even for people who like audiophile woowoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

HEALTH has an album coming out August 7th. Death Magic.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/29/425893138/first-listen-health-death-magic

Also holy gently caress it's been six years since Get Color released.

I have no idea how these guys don't have more exposure, I feel like I'm the only one freaking out here.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Growing up means realizing that a good half of The Downward Spiral is actually terrible but loving it anyways

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sintax posted:

It's worth noting that the pay-what-you-want In Rainbows was released in 128 or 192 cbr quality (dont remember which) and being the enormous nerd that I am I'm pretty sure I pirated it in a higher quality. Dumb choice on their part really.

It was 160kbps, lol

Somebody asked them what was up with the bitrate and some rep said that the pay-what-you-want wasn't the "official" album release, it was just marketing for the actual label-backed release in January. So Radiohead convinced everyone to pay them to be marketed to. Fuckers.

Saul Williams deserved (and still does deserve) better. If you read up on the dude's career it's pretty sad. He starred in a musical that only lasted 17 shows and now he's working with the guys behind She Wants Revenge, oof.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Trent has been getting progressively lamer over the past few years so this latest move isn't at all surprising. I'd call it disappointing but that would require me to have decent expectations of him anymore.

The guy who once considered a temporal internet experience to be not just advertising but legitimately "part of the album," who released albums entirely on his own online, who - let's face it - basically paved the way for how internet 2.0 could handle music both in a artistic and business sense, is now telling people that they have to buy tickets in person, to "turn your loving phone off" when you listen to his music, and that his records are "ten bucks or go gently caress yourself." The $300 collector's edition of Hesitation Marks doesn't even include the album.

He's still an absurdly talented musician but I feel no shame in calling the dude out of touch or even a sellout at this point.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If we’re including non-NIN things then I vote The Believers, Black History Month, and Meet Your Master.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

I mean they did admit it would be lovely

This is significantly shittier than any of the problems an online presale would have caused.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I loving adore how NIN’s Twitter account is giddily retweeting pictures of people buying 10-12 tickets as if they actually plan on bringing their entire extended family to the concert and aren’t planning on immediately flipping these online.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's still my headcanon that Death Grips faked their own breakup specifically to piss off Trent Reznor.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That's the particularly maddening thing about this "event," really - NIN as a brand name is big enough and has enough of a cult following that there's no way the presale wasn't gonna sell out anyways. It didn't particularly matter, financially, whether the presale was physical or online, so all Trent really did was just make the purchasing process even more annoying and exclusionary for nobody's benefit whatsoever. Except for the nearby bars that got to make menus of awful puns, I guess. (And not even awful in the fun way. "La Mer French Toast?" What the gently caress?) Dollars to donuts that in the near future somebody on Team NIN will be like "wow we sold every single ticket! This event was a huge success!"

I miss the old method where when NIN was done making music they'd just put it right up on their website and start making money immediately instead of making people go through a million hoops to stand in line for hours hoping to hear two tracks a singular time on a designated pair of headphones.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 20, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's gonna be really obnoxious when the rest if the tickets go on sale and sell out in a nanosecond and all the people that were really into this dumb idea are gonna be like "see, look how bad that was!"

Those people are missing the fact that the same amount of people get tickets anyways, it’s just now you find out whether or not you’re going to get tickets instantly and in your own home where there’s air conditioning and no rain, instead of driving two hours to a specially designated box office in lovely weather where you could be turned away as soon as you show up because the four-hour line is already too long.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Honestly the actual YZ ARG was not that far off in terms of how elaborate it was.
IIRC the USB drives that were actually scattered in bathrooms at concert halls they played had audio tracks full of noise. People had to figure out that they needed to run a spectral analysis on the noise, which then revealed an image in the noise (it was the hand coming down from the sky), and I believe it also had coded letters that led you to a series of websites, and somewhere in the website's code was a link to a song.

Nah, the songs were in fact right on the flash drives. I remember being a member of ETS during the ARG and there were frantic riots of "JUST USE MEDIAFIRE HOLY gently caress" every time someone posted "guys i think i found the usb drive but idk how internet works"

There was a spectrograph image of the Presence at the end of My Violent Heart when it got found, which was moved to the end of The Warning on the actual album.

I think the craziest moment of that ARG was when a website went up offering Capital G as a free download, which confused everybody because the album was already out - but that version on the website turned out to be one with an inverted waveform, and stacking it against the audio file for the song from the actual album eliminated all the noise except a creepy voice saying the name of a new website. I wanna say it was... Red Horse Vector?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

olives black posted:

I feel like it's been a while since anyone's busted Trent's chops for stealing Skinny Puppy's "Dig It" for Down In It and that now's a pretty good time to bring it up again

https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-says-kanye-the-weeknd-ripped-off-nins-live-shows/

Yeah, you got it Trent, you invented background screens and lighting rigs. You old, stupid rear end in a top hat.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Starfuckers would be a top ten NIN song if it wasn’t for that loving chorus.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

I hate the mixes on the EPs and bad witch they're trash

Bad Witch is an EP, Trent just didn't wanna call it one because of Spotify's page layout

Also Mariqueen is a genuinely terrible singer, it is hilarious that they had to autotune her as soon as she has to raise her voice the tiniest bit on How Long

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
New RezRoss film score coming soon, for Jonah Hill’s directorial debut, 4:3 coming-of-age tale Mid90’s. https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-and-atticus-ross-scored-jonah-hills-new-movie-mid90s/

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Still lolling that Trent played at the Grammys despite poo poo-talking the Grammys for years and then acted shocked that they didn’t actually care about his performance

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The best teitan moment was when he put up a torrent of the years-delayed Closure DVD, linked it in ETS, and then on official-rear end nin.com posted something like “Merry Christmas! If you know what I’m talking about: cool. If not, don’t worry about it.”

I miss that Trent.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

My Twitter Account posted:

I think about that a lot. Nowadays it's not uncommon for artists to go five years between albums, but when Trent went five years between TDS and The Fragile (and, in between, did a massive world tour, released a double-video set, produced another band's album, and dropped a non-album single) it seemed like an absolute eternity.

Albums were also much bigger of a deal back then, not just something that's put up on a streaming service with the press of a button. I don't mean that in a "you drat kids" way, I'd prefer more people have easier access to music, but back then albums had big marketing campaigns, physical releases with elaborate packaging, and were also a main revenue stream. Now studio music operates more as an advertisement for ticket and merch sales.

I'm not sure I agree with albums taking longer than before - didn't Future put out two albums in a week?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If The Slip came out now it’d be a full-priced release with a $150 deluxe edition and a tour you’d pay $100 per ticket to see at an amphitheater.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

IUG posted:

Is this going to be part of a Health album? Or should I pay Bezos Bucks to buy the track on Amazon?

It’s going to be on their upcoming compilation DISCO4++.

DISCO4, meanwhile, is on every streaming service now, and has a bunch of collaboration songs on it, including one with Perturbator:

https://youtu.be/3AFhE8_tyuw

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Molestationary Store posted:

Teitan talked a lot of poo poo.

Leaking the Broken DVD while poo poo-talking the other sides of the lawsuit on his legally-distinct parachute account is a highlight of his career for me.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Minidust posted:

remember when cranky old Trent demanded that people stand in line shoulder-to-shoulder and physically interact with people in order to buy tickets to some tour

simpler times :smith:

I would prefer to find out that tickets are expensive and sold out at home online rather than have to drive a half hour into the city to get the same news, tbh

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Danny Jane is an ending that haunts me to this day. I really wish we got more cool internet experiences like that before they were all snuffed out by algorithms and SEOs.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
How many NIN songs that have never been played live are even left?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

obeyasia posted:

I'll believe this horseshit sounding story when I can hear this alleged sample or TR confirms it. The phrasing is too awkward to be a real thing someone said naturally; I'd believe Al said it after being becoming aware of the band name and song title.

Can’t find a source but I do remember reading an interview where Trent said there was no particular significance behind Nine Inch Nails, he just came up with a few names a day and it was the first one he didn’t hate when he woke up the next morning.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Party like it’s 2009, because there’s a new Meathead music video. https://youtu.be/zPwdxu5yrtU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
e: posted in wrong thread everyone point and laugh

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

IUG posted:

Oof, that second album cover is a click deterrent.

Wait’ll you hear about HEALTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mr E posted:

I mostly just want Year Zero remastered on vinyl at this point. I would love new music too but that's all I really need. I'd buy The Slip too but if that doesn't release ever that's fine.

Legitimately the most interesting thing NIN could put out at this point for me is more Year Zero lore, possibly in the packaging of some fancy collector’s edition

I wonder if they could do the thermal-sensitive trick on a vinyl record, that’s still the coolest thing I’ve ever seen someone do with music packaging.