Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I feel like he has kinda mellowed out over the years, so having a bunch of people doesn't seem as unreasonable as back when he told Robert Patrick he'd be better off delivering pizzas. Doubt he would work with Uncle Al again, but who knows?

Trent's had a lot of collaborators. NIN is very much his thing (well, now it's Trent & Atticus) but The Fragile for example had Adrien Belew and Dr. Dre along with some of the live band in the studio getting writing credits for some tracks. I remember the original Ghosts having a bunch of people in the studio contributing with Cortini and the drummer from Dresden Dolls doing a lot for the album. With Teeth had Dave Grohl drumming and so on and so forth. I guess if you strip it back then Pretty Hate Machine was a Trent record (discounting all the sampling and mastering/engineering personnel, and Richard Patrick's minor contribution) but starting and continuing on from Broken he's always had other musicians helping him make the albums, it's just that at the end of the day it's been his name. I think of Hesitation Marks as the last NIN album and that saw Cortini & Belew return with Lindsay Buckingham working on a few tracks (who saw that coming?) as well. It's kinda like Bowie who always had a lot of help but at the end of the day it was in his name.

I remember reading about the production of The Fragile and how Lohner and Clouser etc. were all at the studio and writing/recording with Trent. I think it was described as Trent basically messing around and coming up with lots of small ideas he'd forward to the other guys downstairs who'd experiment with what he sent and see if they could form a song out of it. He's very talented but he does have collaborators help making albums. I think he himself even stated the reason for Atticus joining the band was because he essentially had been in it for so long, citing how his way of working was just recording random ideas for hours and then leaving the room so Atticus could sift through all the material and see what was good and develop it into a song, and then Trent would return for Atticus to present what he'd developed and thought that they should work on.

I would really like a proper collaborative album however and someone mentioned Uncle Al who I'd love to get into a studio with Trent. I've always liked Al's freaky fishbowl/underwater voice and if there could be a strict "No vocal samples!" rule it would be great. Let Al bring his harmonica too and get Grohl back in on drums (or Freese who has been credited on Year Zero, I think) along with some new blood like Robert Fripp and Chu Ishikawa. I'd love to hear the result of Tom Waits being involved on a NIN track as well :allears: Liam Howlett dirtying things up would be interesting too.

I've always thought that a Trent Reznor & Thom Yorke collaboration would be amazing, even though it seems incredibly unlikely. I think Trent's been vocal about liking Radiohead however and 'All the Love in the World' seemed like a nod to them.

Edit: Just learned that Chu Ishikawa passed away in 2017 :(

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah it could be, I think that's where I read about that and I could be remembering the wrong way round.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Liam Howlett got Liam Gallagher singing on a tune, but musically I don't think so. He's a studio wizard and did some crazy impressive stuff before computers made it all easy but I think he just goes solo apart from vocals. He had someone from Pitchshifter on guitar duties live but I never looked into if he got involved in the studio. I would have liked to see how Copy of A would have turned out if he was involved, it would probably be more like the extended live version that turns into a banger.

Speaking of, I forgot to add Greg Puciato & Mike Patton to the list of dream collaborators as well. I know before they split up Dillinger Escape Plan joined NIN on stage (was it that farewell tour?) and performed Wish and maybe one or two more songs? Greg's got an insanely versatile voice however and has a broad range of tastes and projects, as well as being a multi-instrumentalist. Mike Patton has kinda fizzled out in recent times but I reckon locking him in a studio with no coffee for a week would get some interesting results :discourse:

As for industrial regulars, I think he knew most of them? Even had Bill Rieflin provide drums on The Fragile and yeah there was the Pigface mess with Trent putting Suck on Broken. He worked with Ministry for the Get Down Make Love cover (Al drugged him with Rohypnol and shaved his head while he was unconscious) and also sang for 1000 Homo DJs on Supernaut. Dave Ogilvie (former Skinny Puppy) has worked on NIN albums as well and I'm probably forgetting a bunch more. He probably knew Connelly through Pigface or Al, same going for Nivek, unless he knew him via Ogilvie but Down In It was a pretty blatant rip of a SP song so he might have avoided him. I think Trent's relationship with the regulars deteriorated around the time of Psalm 69 & Broken, but that's fueled by speculation of pot shots in the liner notes for each album.

It's funny how everyone seemingly knew everyone however. Even after Trent worked with Bowie, a couple years later Al was recording vocals for Supermanic Soul and David Bowie walked into the studio to watch since he was recording there too. Small world. Always wondered if that's what prompted Al to play saxophone on that album and sample Charles Mingus.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 9, 2022

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

He had literally just shot up before Bowie walked in so yeah, your theory seems reasonable. I agree about trying new things as well, I liked how Al was always trying new stuff but after Barker left he just went into thrash for the most part. The newest Ministry album is better than the prior ones and has some good moments (nice to hear Jello Biafra as well) but I liked Al's experimentation and how it would actually work as well. I remember learning about how the Stigmata riff was made using this new computer they managed to acquire at the time and it was all digital guitar with a digital saxophone buried in there giving it that weird and unique sound. Al claims he recorded that song quickly in a last-minute rush to give the album an extra song but regardless he must have felt like a genius after coming up with that idea. Wish he'd used the mandolin more as well since it worked freakishly well in live performances of Reload. No idea what happened with the studio version of that song however, it sounds really messed up but maybe the intention was for it to sound like a squeal given the album name?

On that note, I just learned Paul Barker put out a new Lead Into Gold album in 2018 so I need to check that out. Think it might have Bill Rieflin's last performance :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Maynard releasing Passive might have killed the possibility of that. My memory is really foggy on this but didn't multiple people involved also say that the sessions didn't actually produce many songs? I could swear Maynard commented that Passive was the only thing they finished writing and he wanted to get it out there but I could be completely wrong.

Edit: Checked and seems like they had a completed album but Trent's stance on it is that it isn't good enough to release even if contracts were worked out. Not sure why he still got peeved about Maynard releasing Passive, though? Apparently Maynard put another Tapeworm song out with Puscifer that's called Potions and it's a great song. Definitely sounds like something Trent would have been involved in writing as well. The Wiki page for it says Tommy Victor was pissed that Trent gave his Tapeworm contribution to Marilyn Manson as well, and I had no idea that Phil Anselmo was involved :stare:

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 9, 2022

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I thought it was a funny glimpse behind the image and music of NIN that during the Closure video (I think?) the backstage footage we see of Trent is him playing with his dog and another clip of him and the band singing along to Frank Zappa while getting ready to go on stage.

Was a striking difference to when Manson made an appearance to talk about taking lots of drugs and getting wasted while some poor girls are sat there telling some roadie guy or whatever they're his groupies.

polyester concept posted:

he is a known edgelord, he rented out the house that sharon tate was murdered in to record the album (which makes the piggy references a little sus) and then took the front door to be used as the entrance to his recording studio in new orleans.

I read an interview where Trent was asked about this and I've no idea if he was being honest or not, but he claimed he had no idea that it was the house where those murders took place until Tate's sister confronted him at the property and basically asked him "What the gently caress are you doing? Are you trying to exploit my dead sister for shock value?!" and he said he felt like poo poo afterwards and really bad about the whole thing. I think he probably knew but didn't put much thought into what he was doing. The edgelord thing is spot on so it wouldn't surprise me.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And definitely anti-religious. Can't blame him for that growing up in small-town Pennsylvania, I know that game.

He has five kids now and we don't know all of their names, but we know one's called Balthazar and another is called Lazarus. I was not expecting Trent of all people to give his children those kind of names and I'm not being judgmental but he is a secretive person, maybe he's become religious?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I only recently learned that Pinion samples It's No Game by Bowie and I went back listening for it and :stare:

Apparently it's more audible live but I don't think they played it before coming out when I saw them. Wish there was a good quality live recording of Now I'm Nothing leading into Terrible Lie floating around :(

Speaking of controversial videos, I'm still amazed that the FBI or whoever thought that the video for Down In It was a genuine snuff movie. I imagine that must have been part of the inspiration for the Broken movie.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for this. I've been trying to track down something from earlier for how Trent's voice sounded and having more of the electronic stuff audible but god drat at the note he hits on that final nothing is :stare::stare::stare:

But trent's love of viscera makes me wonder how much Tetsuo the Iron Man he watched in the 90s

Not a clue but he did contribute the main theme to the final movie in the series, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man, and it's amazing. Here it is if you haven't heard it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM

Also Trent collaborated with Shinya Tsukamoto on a commercial for MTV Japan. It's exactly what you would expect :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5XgMjORHc

Edit: Question for anyone who might know since I've always wondered how this was vocal effect was done and listening to Broken recently reminded me that Trent has used it as well. I'm talking about this freaky fishbowl/underwater vocal effect that Al would use for a lot of Ministry records, and Trent seems to use the same effect for the starting vocals of Gave Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpw1SwJRBI

I don't know if this was a subtle "gently caress you" to Al since it was around the time their relationship soured (liner notes for Pslam 69 and Broken seem to take pot shots at each other) but this sounds identical to whatever Al would do to his voice for a lot of Ministry material and I've always wondered what it is and how it's done, if anyone knows? I think everyone's familiar with the monstrosity that is auto-tune and I know there's pitch-altering stuff but I would love to know how this vocal effect is achieved.

The music video for Gave Up seems to be a live recording as well like the March of the Pigs video, so it must be something that works real-time? Watching Ministry's Sphinctour reveals the same as Al will talk normal into the mic and then start singing with this exact same effect.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 14, 2022

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the replies, it's interesting and seems like a lot of people have been trying to figure it out for a long time. That thread I was linked to also introduced me to Killing Joke which I'm probably the last person in this thread to hear but holy poo poo does that track sound influential as hell, I can't believe that's from 1980 :stare:

Someone in that thread mentioned that Al rented his vocal effect setup to another band (who were classed as nu-metal but I can't think of any that put out a track with that sound at all) and now I'm wondering if it was Rob Zombie, because before he went solo I think I'm Your Boogieman was one of White Zombie's final releases? His vocals on that sound like he's using whatever Al uses, just dialed up more, and given Al mentioned Rob copying him (apparently he first came to know of Rob Zombie from some guy punching Al because he thought he was Rob) I could see Rob wanting some middle party to say it's being used for some nu-metal band or something. Weird conspiracy theory but reading that he rented out to someone immediately made me think of that White Zombie track.

I wonder how Al did that stuff on tour though? Was reading old interviews where he and Paul talked about building a studio for one album (I think it was Filth Pig) and they kept using so many compressors that stuff was catching fire and equipment was breaking constantly which slowed them down a lot. It was clear that they really knew what they were doing in a studio, though. Ya know, when stuff wasn't on fire.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

obeyasia posted:

AATCHB won't get re-released until TR can be sure MM doesn't get a cent from it (if I had to guess).

I've always wondered if Somewhat Damaged was about him.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I guess Trent can put up with Uncle Al these days. At least for a weekend.

I envy anyone who gets to go, that's a great lineup for a show. I wonder if Al will play a lot of Barker-era songs or mostly the new thrash-y stuff? It would be weird if he was playing newer material (I know he has a new album to promote and another one nearly finished and ready for release, but still) given he's on a bill with NIN & Nitzer Ebb.

No idea how Trent feels about Al either but Al seems to have really mellowed out and I recall an interview some years back, around the time he was relocating from Texas to LA, where he said he'd like to work on a project with Trent. I'm sure Trent's happy to keep working on new NIN material but it would be interesting. I think that people lucky enough to attend the show will definitely get either Supernaut or Get Down Make Love.

I wonder if Trent will debut any new material?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

He sounds like he's singing in the style of Maynard James Keenan which is really unexpected but works. I never thought I'd hear Trent sing like that and I don't mean that he sounds like Maynard because his voice is very different, but if you handed the instrumental version of that track to Maynard I would expect identical vocals, just with his own voice obviously. Makes me really curious about new NIN material, whenever we end up getting some.

Speaking of vocalists, we know Trent has received praise from some of the biggest and best and I was listening to the Get Down Make Love cover earlier and wondered if Freddie Mercury heard it and/or commented on it before his passing? The Sin single with that b-side released in October of 1990 and Mercury passed away in November of 1991. I wonder if he liked Sin and Trent's (and Al's, I guess?) take on Get Down Make Love?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Mierenneuker posted:

They should play the TFA version of Where Is Everybody instead of the original. Obviously they can't do all the vocal fuckery, but it would give the music a kick up the rear end.

They probably could pull it off. Alessandro could manipulate Trent's voice while he sings (much like Jonny does for Thom's voice during live Radiohead performances that require it) and with Atticus also handling synths and programming I think that between the two of them they could come pretty close while Trent sings and handles the bass synth parts himself and Ilan takes care of the drum programming. Robin could fill in wherever needed. The current incarnation of NIN is a very versatile band with how each member can handle so many different instruments and duties as needed, I'm not sure there's anything that they couldn't play.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alessandro could handle all the vocal effects and manipulation on his own given how skilled he is.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wasn't Broken around the time NIN played shows with Pantera? I just have vague memories of Trent drinking with Dimebag for some reason, and Broken always felt like it was influenced by playing shows with Pantera to some degree. I know there was the poo poo flinging between Trent & Al in the liner notes for Psalm 69 and Broken, but I'd say every NIN album has always had a very distinct sound and evolution. Hesitation Marks was so long ago now and I know they released those EPs which are essentially an album anyways but I'm excited for a new NIN album whenever they get around to making one.

Didn't Trent say in an interview with Halsey that the timing was really good for them because they were stuck with the writing of a new NIN album and working on that project with her got them out of a rut?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Wasn't Head Like A Hole one of the last songs written for PHM? I feel like there's not too much distance between that and Broken. Mostly just the production. It seems like he was heading in that direction even at that point.

I think the last song for that era was Get Down Make Love for the Sin single which perfectly bridges the sound between PHM & Broken imo.

david_a posted:

My impression is that after he made it “big” with PHM he started hanging around the WaxTrax! crew and other unsavory characters which pushed him in a more extreme direction to stand out. There was 1000 Homo DJs with Al, a bit with Pigface, and he shows up in a video for Lead Into Gold (Paul Barker side project).

Trent was a roadie for Ministry before NIN. At a show in '87 Al apparently said "Listening to Ministry is like having a nine inch nail hammered into your head like a hole." as well and Trent also used a sample from a taping of it in the song itself.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't remember hearing about them opening for Pantera but I guess it wouldn't be any weirder than them opening for Guns N' Roses.

I tried searching and can't find anything so I'm probably wrong, but in the process I found some cool trivia that Dimebag was a huge NIN fan and the vocals for Head Like A Hole inspired the vocals for one of the tracks on Vulgar Display of Power. Maybe I'm thinking of one of Pantera's home videos?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

obeyasia posted:

I'll believe this horseshit sounding story when I can hear this alleged sample or TR confirms it. The phrasing is too awkward to be a real thing someone said naturally; I'd believe Al said it after being becoming aware of the band name and song title.

What stood out to me as more surprising is Trent apparently being a roadie for Ministry.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think it's unlikely but I'm glad that we got the Fragile Deviations, that was awesome. I'm really curious about what material there is from 04/05 when Bleedthrough became With Teeth, I imagine there must be some really interesting unheard music from those sessions. Would be fascinated to hear anything that didn't make it onto Year Zero as well.

On the topic of things that would be awesome but won't happen, that NIN alumni event had me wishing everyone there would collaborate on a NIN alumni album together. Was cool having them all on stage at least but a big collaboration album would be awesome. I think the original Ghosts was along those lines with Trent getting a bunch of people at his house? Trent's been enjoying collaborations lately as well with Health/Elfman/Halsey so a project like that would be incredible. I don't mean everyone working on songs together either but maybe for one track Chris programs the drums (I think he did the insane beats for Perfect Drug?) and another could have Danny involved with Richard with Trent together on something else while Charlie and Alessandro collaborate on a track and so on.

gently caress it, get Al in to provide vocals on a track, Adrian Belew making his usual contributions and send out a search party for Aaron North. It would be so good :swoon:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

You can tell Musk's genuinely bothered by this stuff because he's been using that emoji like crazy since everything started falling apart for him. Good for Trent though, he has his family and gets to continue making incredible music, he's probably already forgotten that Twitter even exists.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Passing a Trent audition must be the most demanding position in the industry at this point
gotta be able to swap in on every other instrument on stage and do backing vocals

I remember reading his comments somewhere about being pissed that Aaron North showed up with lovely gear or something similar but as soon as he started playing he really liked his style. Hope the guy's doing okay, wherever he is, his version of Big Come Down on BYIT is incredible and I'll always like Robin but holy poo poo was Aaron North a great fit for NIN. Last I heard he was really struggling with his mental health and living in his car? Tragic as hell. Was incredible seeing him live with NIN.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I thought City of Angels was actually a fun sequel. Obviously nowhere near as good as the original but it was 90s as hell and had Iggy Pop. I think Deftones actually performed in the film too? Good stuff.

On a NIN-related note I recently heard the version of The New flesh from one of the Fragile re-releases which Trent added vocals to and you can tell they're new and not found since he sounds a lot older and it's so weird hearing that as a non-instrumental now but it totally works and really fits. Not so fond of the way he changed 10 Miles High, though. Makes me wonder how some of those tracks from Deviations would have turned out if he had added vocals to them as well. 'Was It Worth It?" is my favorite out of that material and I'd have loved to hear that with vocals.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

My assumption is that with some of those songs, he never came up with finished vocals, maybe just a scratch track lying around somewhere. After all, wasn't it lyrical writer's block that inspired him to do so many instrumentals in the first place?

There's this quote from Trent on the Wikipedia page:

quote:

The Fragile was an album based a lot in fear, because I was afraid as gently caress about what was happening to me ... That's why there aren't a lot of lyrics on that record. I couldn't loving think. An unimaginable amount of effort went into that record in a very unfocused way.

One thing I really like about The Fragile is how connected all the music is, even tracks that were released later, via motifs or repeated lyrics or even taking the same melody or chord progression and taking it into a different direction. It really holds it all together in a very interesting way. I listened to Things Falling Apart for the first time in eons not long ago and one of the "new" tracks (The Great Collapse) was a sort-of continuation of The Wretched. Reminded me that I really like Trent's style of playing guitar as well, and while he's a huge fan of synths it has me hoping that a future NIN album has him picking guitar up again since he has such a distinct style that doesn't get enough credit imo. I've been trying to add missing tracks that I like from various sources (especially Still) to The Fragile so that body of work is all connected and it's staggering just how much material there is, along with so many alternate versions of songs. It's even crazier when looking on the NIN wiki and seeing original track lists for The Fragile that seemed to aim for it being 17 tracks and not a double album.

Some other interesting info on there as well, such as Bob Ezrin talking about being called in to help arrange the track listing for the album, thinking it would only take a few days, but being there for weeks while Trent was still recording and mixing even more material which was clearly great, but he had no idea how to put it all together. Really impressive considering just how incredibly varied all the material actually is as well.

I also really liked learning this about the songwriting process and how some tracks came about, according to Alan Moulder:

quote:

I got involved pretty early on. Trent had one song written and about 15 demos. He also had about sixty 'bits,' varying from a riff or noise loop to a more evolved drum pattern with a bass or guitar line. We sorted through these and decided which ones to work on. Sometimes we combined drums from one piece with a guitar loop from another and a piano piece from another to make one new track.

We also started a lot of tracks from scratch. This is unusual as I am normally brought in at a later stage when the songs have been written. It was great to be involved from the 'blank canvas' stage. We would go through the tracks and pick one to work on. Then we'd spend a couple of days evolving that and messing around with the structure, adding new sections and instrumentation.

Because there was so much material to work on we never labored over anything, taking the attitude that if something wasn't happening, or we'd reached a block, we would move on to the next track. We wouldn't listen back to what we had done to the tracks for weeks. Because we had been working quickly and constantly moving on, listening back later to what we had done was always a surprise. We quite often had forgotten what we had done. Every time we listened back, we got excited, as it was always a lot better than we remembered. We would carry on doing that and some tracks would get eliminated as we went on until Trent had vocal ideas and lyrics. These songs would be completed and not listened to for a couple of weeks to see if the ideas stood the test of time. If we were happy, we would start to mix the song, adding and refining....even lengthening or changing the structure as we mixed.

As my time on the album spanned over 2 years, it is difficult to describe a typical day, since that varied as we progressed. At the beginning, though, there were different types of days depending on how Trent was feeling. At this stage a lot of time was spent writing and creating songs. Obviously it is impossible for anybody to be in songwriting mode every day without going stale. So, to keep creativity up and vary things a little, we would have 'Art Days,' as they were referred to. This would involve forgetting about being tied down to creating within the usual 'song' structure and Trent would do anything that his mood took. Good examples of some things that came out of that way of working was "La Mer" and "The Day The World Went Away".

Other days, if Trent didn't feel like writing, we would have 'Sound Creating' days. This could involve starting the day off with a shopping trip to a music shop. One time we decided to make unusual percussion tracks. We went and bought lots of percussion instruments; the stranger the better. Then back at the studio these were put in a room with other things such as boxes, road signs, trash cans, water bottles, spades and badly tuned drums. Trent would then hit whatever took his fancy and would make a rhythm out of it. We got lots of great rhythm tracks from this that songs were written on top of, for example "The Fragile" and "I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally".

This Is the Zodiac posted:

All the previously-unreleased tracks on Deviations that have "(instrumental)" in the title had vocals at some point. That's "The March", "Not What It Seems Like", "Was It Worth It?", and "Can I Stay Here?".

It'll never happen because Trent is very clearly done with The Fragile after all the work put into those reissues but I'd love to hear 'Was It Worth It?" with vocals. Sounds like a good companion to The Big Come Down. Things Falling Apart seems like a missed opportunity in retrospect, we didn't need multiple Starfuckers remixes :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think for me it's just that Further Down the Spiral set the bar so high combined with there just being so much additional material for The Fragile that Things Falling Apart probably could have been a double album of remixes and outtakes itself.

Also Pilgrimage does own but Just Like You Imagined will forever be my favorite Fragile instrumental. Kinda surprised Leaving Hope didn't make it on there as the final track because it's so powerful and I've nothing against Ripe (With Decay) but Leaving Hope would have been a hell of a closer, especially given the themes of the album. I don't think it was written afterwards just because of Trent's comments about Adrift and at Peace being a companion piece to La Mer but I might be wrong.

I like Starfuckers too, and for everything Trent said about Perfect Drug and kind of disowning it, Starfuckers is very clearly a continuation and evolution of that style imo which I dig. I just thought the remixes were disappointing, but again that's me having high expectations because of Further Down the Spiral.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

PalaNIN posted:

Everything from the Fragile era is ripe for reordering and reimagining and I've had a few similar thoughts re alternate opening/closing tracks on the album. I thought the Still tracks were distinct afterthoughts after TF was released and toured but now I'm imagining all the different ways you could pull together a 6-track playlist of TF/AATCHB tracks to portray a certain theme or emotion and drat that'd actually be a really fun competition to have with NIN fans.

My NIN sin is thinking Deep is a banger (that brutal synth sound is so good and I love the distorted wah guitar) and I've added that to my Fragile playlist too. Seems to fit well between 10 Miles High and Please :v:

Agreed about the era in general though, Trent could have gone in any direction and he chose all of them. Sad circumstances aside, I still find it wild that Le Mer was the first track written when you consider the last NIN album was TDS and the last single was The Perfect Drug. Speaking of, I've always wondered why Trent didn't just go with French for the lyrics, but Creole French specifically.

Was poking around some other Fragile-related information since I was curious about Mike Garson performing piano on 3 of the tracks (Just Like You Imagined, The Way Out Is Through & Ripe With Decay) and apparently he actually played on 15 tracks and the others haven't been released:

quote:

On the Fragile album I actually played on 15 tracks, I wish he’d release those sometime as instrumental, because the piano playing on the tracks he had me play on was phenomenal, but he only used three. I asked him why, and he said that they were, from his point, so Bowie-influenced, which means they were so Mike Garson in style, because I had the style before I played with Bowie, but he said it’s so connected with Bowie that it takes away from his individuality, so he thinks it’s a liability to him. I said that I respect his viewpoint, but I’m pissed off because I’d worked so hard, I went to New Orleans and did all these tracks and he loved them.

I wonder what Adrian Belew could share if asked? He's always seemed like an unofficial NIN member since he's been in the studio for recordings as far back as TDS and had a particularly big presence on Ghosts I-IV & Hesitation Marks.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fever Ray never misses and a collaboration with Trent & Atticus is a pleasant surprise but I am so ready for new NIN material. Feels like they've been doing soundtrack work and collaborations forever at this point and Hesitation Marks is nearly 10 years old :stare:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

Bad Witch turns 5 in June, too. The last full NIN albums we got were the two new Ghosts volumes in 2020. Since then, it's been collaborations like Halsey, HEALTH, Fever Ray, etc.

I've been going through and rearranging my NIN library (best part about music going digital imo) and it came time to finally give those three EPs a proper listen to see what I want to add and holy poo poo, 'This Isn't The Place' is utterly heartbreaking and easily up there as one of the most emotionally affecting pieces of music he has ever written. The music itself and every single sound is so perfect, but the way Trent's voice cracks and breaks loving hits :(

A nice refresher after how clean the production of Hesitation Marks was as well. Enjoying Trent's vocal experimentation alongside the sax as well.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

sleepwalkers posted:

demon seed is criminally underrated

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ben Weinman continues to be awesome. He came on with Dillinger during NIN's "final" show to perform Wish after Trent joked about not being able to get Coldplay. Still surprised Ben & Greg haven't guested on a NIN track yet, especially considering all the collaborations Trent's been involved with lately.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I pray for a Dillinger Escape Reunion daily

If there's one band I believe will stay true to their word, it's DEP. Their discography is perfect, they ended on good terms and went out with some phenomenal final shows after releasing what many consider to be one of their best albums. I don't think they'll even do any reunion shows, not even a one-off. The project is just done and it's perfect.

Also, Greg has what, 10 different projects/bands right now? Had no idea the dude played guitar, let alone could shred like he does. Very versatile and talented guy.

The only thing I'm bummed about is Ben not doing his own thing. I know he was in some band with one of the Mars Volta dudes but it wasn't great and didn't sound like Ben at all, and now he's a touring guitarist for Suicidal Tendencies. He may not want to commit to too much since I think he still lives in his old neighborhood and has all the same friends from school and just adopts kids that nobody else will (or something like that) because he's just a cool person, but I wish he'd at least record some stuff at home and put it out on Bandcamp or something. The dude is insanely talented and can cover so many styles and basically record everything himself (don't know if he can sing, though) and I would be all over any solo albums he put out just to hear some jazz improv segue into crushingly heavy math (?) rock before ending on Aphex Twin-styled electronica.

Don't think he even needs a vocalist in the first place but poo poo imagine if he just recorded an album then sent it to Trent and asked if he'd sing over it? :swoon:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

He let slip (:v:) during an interview about the work he and Atticus did on Halsey's album that they were excited to take on the project because he'd been struggling with writer's block for the next NIN album. Been doing a lot of guest appearances too as we've seen, ranging from Danny Elfman to Health to Fever Ray, so I think at the end of the day he's probably just hit a wall with NIN so is turning focus to other things. I wouldn't say music feels disposable, but at the same time I have no idea how younger generations discover or listen to music so I'm ignorant of that outside my own patterns.

I remember him roasting some dude on ETS about why Bad Witch was being labeled as an album (Spotify fuckery iirc) so maybe he's just disillusioned and soundtrack work with the occasional collaboration is more his thing now. Love NIN but man I'd be so sick of having played some of those songs for 30 years across thousands of shows, and his kids are probably at the age where he wants to spend more time with them now rather than being away on the road which is admirable.

...Just read the article and yeah, I'd sum it up as Trent just wanting to be a great father and while new NIN is always desired and appreciated, I respect the guy a lot for just wanting to be there for his kids and family, which is something that's sadly quite rare so kudos to him.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That's a really good rework of the song, I like how they integrated the synth lead from Sunspots into it. Kinda wish there'd been those big booms leading into a noisy section, though :3:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Kinda I Want To & The Only Time are bangers I'd love to see/hear the modern live band perform. The guy playing bass in that Sanctified video would have probably had a lot of fun with the latter track particularly.

I know Sin is a staple of their live set as well but I've always wondered about a "What if..." scenario where maybe Liam Howlett did a remix to give it more teeth (:haw:) and the band performed it as a sort-of modern electro heavier track.

Would be interesting if the inverse was done also, and traditional heavy tracks were reworked into quiet versions. I know we've sort-of had that already via the remix EPs (I really like Further Down the Spiral) and Still of course, but I'd love to see a performance that's a weird setlist of updated deep cuts and reworks where every song is a surprise and the band lets loose a lot (thinking of Aaron North's incredible performance of The Big Come Down on BYIT as an example) even though it's a pipe dream.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Redrum and Coke posted:

Is there a specific time we can point to when NIN gave up any pretense of being different from any of the other interchangeable bands selling endless tchotchkes?

I still love Trent's music but, goddamn.

I think Trent said in an interview waaaaaay back that part of the reason he went with calling the band Nine Inch Nails was because of how cool the NIN logo looked, and he was right.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

IUG posted:

I’m still waiting for more Deviations. That was an interesting release.

I'd love to hear the version of Was It Worth It? with vocals.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

And I could be entirely wrong about this and maybe he's been secretly working on a follow up to the experimental styles he brought to play in The Fragile - something we can't even imagine yet, but who knows.

In one of the interviews for the work they did with Halsey on her album, Trent said one of the reasons they took on the project was because it came along at the right time where they hit a wall with writing a new NIN album and weren't really getting anywhere.

I think Trent's now just happy to spend time with his kids and score films (and good on him for prioritizing his family) but I do wonder if it's even financially feasible to even consider writing and recording an album that isn't toured? Couldn't blame him for not wanting to play shows but if the occasional song or EP came out here and there that would be really awesome. I've no idea how commercially successful the last three were however, and NIN did tour for them. I think at the end Trent labeled the last one as an album because streaming services gently caress over EPs?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I've always wondered what Bleedthrough would have been like. Was the original album more experimental and leaning further in the direction of Beside You In Time & The Line Begins To Blur or was it more of a straight-up garage rock record with Trent deciding to add some variety and rename? We know Non-Entity & Not So Pretty Now were originally recorded for WT but didn't make the final cut and each song is in either camp so it's hard to tell. Non-Entity should have been on the album imo.

Good album though and like most people, my only complaints are with some of the lyrics. Trent must have listened to a lot of Radiohead after the Fragility tour ended because All The Love In The World sounds quite inspired but the music video for Hand That Feeds is literally a copy of Radiohead's music video for Idioteque :haw:

Hope Aaron North is doing well these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Double albums always have an uphill battle critically. Even The Beatles didn't quite get away with it. Though in time, the ones that are pulled off well eventually get legendary status.

It's also really hard to follow up something as singular, focused, and experimental as TDS. There are some surface-level sonic similarities on TF, but overall he was doing something extremely different, which was a smart move. Because basically you don't follow up TDS. You kind of have to start from scratch. He wisely used his bigger budget while he had the freedom to, but he was also pretty much guaranteed to "fail" on some level.

In terms of a "perfect", "no fat" album, TDS wins. TF definitely is not that. But it's equally necessary and succeeds in a whole different way.

I think Trent said in an interview once that in retrospect he wishes he'd released The Fragile in a similar manner to how Radiohead handled Kid A & Amnesiac? I sometimes wonder if he'd gone that route he might have been able to put out three albums in a row given how much material he had. He did also say that at the time he thought everyone hated it though, so maybe he might have only put out one disc and left the rest unreleased.

I'd also argue that The Fragile is equal in terms of having no fat but with the caveat of switching some of the tracks. The left disc is close to perfect, imo, and the right is where I'd bring back some missing (from the CD release) tracks.