Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Has there been any word at all about 1.27b since April?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Kept rooting for firelord Naga guy.

Pros sure make HvU look rough

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

1.27b is out today, contains no balance or map changes

:-(

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I've been playing 1v1s with dumb strategies on EU as DONALD_J_TRUMP

I almost have enough replays for a whole .zip file of entertainment

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

How do I revert my installed 1.27a client to 1.26 so I can play on W3Arena?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Flayer posted:

The lowered latency cap is exciting. While adapting to 250 was possible it was an annoying issue to deal with in a game that was based around micro.

w3arena has always been around with the low latency, is this really a reason to move to BNet after all these years?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

schmitty9800 posted:

Ths games netcode was godawful and b.net natively forces 120ms or so, that would be more valuable than any graphical overhaul.

They've already patched out this delay, a couple months ago.

Latency is just like w3arena in ladder games now.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Hero duration is already reduced.... the ability to level 1 hex an ogre magic creep feels like it lasts for an hour

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Is there a discord for goon war3 fun time? I remember there being at least a DotA IRC way back when.

I wanna play some FFAs, 4s, or something equally stupid

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Anybody still playing 1.29? I'd do something besides solo queue tonight (EST).

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

emdash posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/angry_korea_man AKM has been streaming wc3 again, good fun to watch

This is amazing, thank you for sharing. Did not know until this post.

I abandoned all "pro" strats for bloodmage + militia level 3 rush + be an rear end in a top hat with invisibility and the staff of teleport a long, long, time ago because of this man and his beautiful work.

Is he actually even Korean? I always imagined a white kid from Maryland, to be honest.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Mana burn was increased by 10 Mana to cast, not a big deal.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Keeper's buffs are making him a viable option more-so than the 10 mana alternation to DH's spell...

I like good old classic potm/keeper after the buffs with either archer + talon or hunt + dryad for most things, never got into using hippos

edit: Specifically, entangle at level 1 is real strong vs. ghouls and grunts

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I feel like I'm the only person who just wants to play ladder again..

I never got into any of the customs, my friends play "Hellhole TD" a lot but I've never tried

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

AKM Style (Solo BM, Militia Creep, turtle + tech while skipping barracks) was always the best way to play anyway

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Chopstix posted:

Surprising fact about AKM; very not Korean

Yeah honestly I was the biggest fan back in the day at bloodmage.com and I can't watch him stream. The text personality was so amazing

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

WHY DO YOU CHIT

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Chopstix posted:

Yeah his texts were hilarious. Also when he plays now he goes mana drain first, and the. Goes banish, not getting flamestrike till much later, I think thats’s new

That's a matchup specific thing, good against Undead and good against Orc Wyvern and Hippo strats because that strike don't hit air.

I personally can never resist the temptation of speed creeping to level 3, buying an invis potion as soon as its available, and then one-striking all 5 acolytes and teleport staffing out.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I never played WCMaul before yesterday and now I'm strangely addicted.

Is there a site to look up maze patterns?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

You guys have a discord? I'm an old fan with some 1v1 ladder chops and a beta

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Sticko posted:

Hadn't heard about the combination of AT and RT. Is this for live as well as beta, or unknown? That seems like a pretty dumb idea, even if it would probably help with queue times.

Is it known if there is actually going to be a proper ladder with stats, like back in the day?

There's a proper ladder for War3 now, always has been, there's just nobody playing it.

I don't know if this real bad $30 remake is gonna make a player-base reappear.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I hit the play button but then I saw it was 30 gigs and I don't have 30 gigs open right now. Then there was no button to cancel the download, so now I have a paused and hanging 30GB download just hangin' out as one of my running processes permanently I guess

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

SoundwaveAU posted:

What kind of TDs do you like? I got into Digimon TD lately, which from what I understand is an off-shoot of Poker TD (that I haven't played). That one is a lot of fun, and there are still the old classics.

Wintermaul is king

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

jokes posted:

Wintermaul, NOT Wintermaul wars.

And NOT the Wintermaul that didn’t have spawns for everyone.

I was playing Wintermaul last year and they put out some new version with pre-made mazes shaded into the terrain for people to build on top of, that was kinda weak IMO

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What a mess. Can I just have my favorite game (and 29GB of storage space) back?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why'd they think it was a good idea to make the whole entire game look like poo poo.

FTFY

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I think what he's trying to say is that the unit counts in typical melee War3 are smaller. 20 minutes into a broodwar game as zerg (or the other races too, really) you will have tons more control groups to move around compared to the same amount of time into a game as any Race in war3.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Just a reminder that the W3 Champions ladder is entering its 2nd season now, with grandmaster etc rankings like SC2, will have end of season tournaments starting from this season, live game tracking on the ladder page, new additions to the map pool, and a bunch of other stuff all integrated into the reforged client programmed by one fan and a web designer meanwhile blizzard still seem to be devoting 100% of their effort to getting the footprints correct and promising the features they removed will be added "soon". What a fukken joke.

I have a hunch from this thread that most goons are mad at blizzard for not implementing the ladder, but also do not want to install W3Champions and lose 80% of their games against actual competent players. I think the goons want the blizzard ladder and all its helpless scrubs to play against or nothing at all.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

jokes posted:

One Starcraft featured a Starship Troopers like propaganda thing. The other Starcraft featured a man wearing huge power armor with an inexplicable southern accent carrying a barefoot, unconscious woman.

https://imgur.com/OS2ZEww

Is that where the opening of the artosis broodwar stream is from?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I thought we were just talking about how HvU is impossible for H

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

They're really not going to say anything about War3: Reforged this weekend?

Or ever again, probably?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Pragmatica posted:

This thread is going to be moving to Retro Games.

Pretty sad news getting Blizzcon and now this back to back

Someone please check on me later tonight

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLD881kS5TQ

If we could use the w3champions zoom in campaign mode I would be so happy

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's bizarre Blizzard didn't hire Icefrog and make DOTA its own thing before S2 did HON and Valve eventually hired him. The amount of people who bought (or pirated) wc3 just for DOTA must've been staggering.

I'm so glad modern day blizzard hasn't ruined Broodwar yet. Every other classic game is gutted

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It was a couple months ago but I had a good time playing 4v4 RT ladder on W3Champions, queue times were 3 to 10 mins from useast iirc

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Try searching for "patch 1.31.1 backup files." Links are easy to find from there.

Note that you cannot let that version connect to B.net or it will drop Reforged on you automatically. Hive Workshop has steps to prevent this from happening if it comes up.

Can you play on W3Champions with the OG client?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

jokes posted:

When I played WC3R on hard it did feel extremely easy for some reason.

Well guess what, now, two years later, you can play it as intended!!!

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

The campaign might still be broken but I uninstalled w3champions because the new BNet finally works right. The lag even feels really good along with there being other many other bad players to match up against

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

They couldn't even remaster WC3 successfully (eve while charging $30), it's really sweet to hear you guys extrapolate about 2022 blizzard making WC4. I think it will never happen, no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

jokes posted:

You'd think selling skins in an RTS like WC3 would be a goldmine. Different skins for the various heroes, skins for the factions, etc.

Hell if they go pay-to-win they could release paid heroes for each faction

I mean, many other people have tried - isn't Age of Empires IV out right now and decently succesful? It probably has skins too.

I really have no idea what makes WC3/Broodwar feel so different than other games. Even Starcraft 2 felt bad and weak to me, even on release. It's super cool to watch ASL Broodwar in 2022. It would be awesome to see some $9.99 indie Steam game RTS modeled after the greats do really well... we've seen stranger things happen since the dawn of video games.