Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
War3 only supported 12 human players. Ents/Shire were one faction and there wasn't a seventh for the Forces of Sauron you were forgetting.

Free Peoples of Middle Earth
Red - Gondor
Blue - Rhohan
Teal - Elves
Purple - Fellowship
Yellow - Shire/Ents
Orange - Dwarves/Dale(ugh)

Forces of Sauron
Green - Isengard
Pink - Moria
Gray - Easterlings
Light Blue - Harad
Dark Green - Nazgul
Brown - Mordor

I had some utterly epic games during all my playtime of Ring Wars. One of the ones still clear in my mind after all these years is my playing the Fellowship in a losing battle. I manage to get Frodo up to level six, which he needs to be to throw the ring into Mount Doom. So I stage an attack on the north gate and break through it, and have Frodo stealth up to the mountain. All the Fellowship die, but Frodo survives and the Ring is destroyed! And I get booted out because Ring-Frodo and No-Ring-Frodo are different heroes. The second replaces the first after the ring's destroyed. And since during that transfer I had no heroes I lost even though Free Peoples probably won in the end.

Some things were just dumb however. Voice of Saruman was ridiculously stupid, since it could permanently mind-control the Ents and there were only eight Ents to start with. So in a couple minutes Entmoot would be defenseless. It could also be used to permanently steal heroes if anyone got loaded into the Eagles. Dale was probably even worse since it just drew the aggro of every evil faction which led them to steamrolling two Orange bases and an Elf one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Primetime posted:

Anyone remember a really old (pre-tft) custom map called something like "angel arena". It was basically just team deathmatch with a farming aspect, and you could go back to base to buy tomes to level up your stats.

It was basically a precursor to dota but an arena and only jungling. I think I spent 100 hours playing that stupid map.

Angel Arena was one of those types, and there were plenty of them. Back when no one gave a poo poo about balance. Intelligence heroes were useless as gently caress, Strength barely better and Agility nigh-unstoppable death gods. Then the weird-rear end broken-poo poo that was Sylvanas.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jsor posted:

Yeah, the reason for that is your primary stat adds a point of damage, so int scales mana, which has diminishing returns after you have enough mana to infinitely cast your spells (and could be detrimental against mana burn). Strength increases HP which is better and nice,, but doesn't mean much if you can't dish it out. Agility increases attack speed, so you basically end up stacking both damage and you attack every millisecond so your DPS becomes embarrassing, to the point that it even breaks heroes that stacked strength.

Agility also adds to your defense. So you'll be reaching 99% damage reduction well enough.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Zillions magazine posted:

did someone photoshop goatse onto that holy poo poo

i replayed some campaign like a year or two ago and i don't remember that poor child looking that bad

Kids are one of the worst but the knights really take the cake on ugly. Like holy poo poo there's being hit with an ugly hammer and then there's an ugly jackhammer like the knights.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Fanatic posted:

Well, poor Little Timmy did end up getting turned into a ghoul.

Poor little Timmy survived Lordaeron's fall and sold Reverant summing items, then migrated to Theramore then immigrated to Stormwind to sell kitties then also became a ghoul again.

Can't keep a Timmy down.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I think I remember the manual said they were resurrected humans but who knows if that still counts

The bodies were Azeroth knights stuffed with the souls of the Shadow Council.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Bill Roper is the hero we deserve.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I know one of the strategies for offensively winning the RoC final was just sniping acolytes til the undead ran out of resources.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I was watching someone play the Sylvanas mission where everyone starts off asleep and they killed all the acolytes and necropoli but the undead base still sent a few attacks. Weak and infrequent but they still came.

Starting resources.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

It was less they ran out of resources and more that they scrapped their old base every time they captured a new one. So if you let them take the human settlement and then blitzed down the workers and necropolis there the enemy couldn't actually build anything to attack you with.

I did mean their actual starting base.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Maybe right-clicking is one of the improvements.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eregos posted:

Back in the sc2 beta in 2010 one of the first things I attempted to do was to make the simplest possible 16 player map, mostly for myself and a few friends to mess around against the AI, as at the time that was the technical max player limit. It was just a few ridges and piles of rich mineral and gas fields that never exhausted, basically big game hunters. But I quickly discovered a complication - the 16th player slot was also used to own the minerals and gas, meaning all minerals and gas would be hostile and unharvestable to other players. Since I couldn't add a 17th disused slot for neutral stuff, the most sensible solution seemed to be to alter the targeting properties for the mineral harvesting and geyser building commands so they could target hostile owned resources, remove vision from resources so player 16 gained no advantage, and then everyone gets used to resources being red highlighted instead of yellow. But in the summer of 2010 in the beta galaxy editor this was loving impossible to figure out how to do and the mapping community couldn't help me. After about 8 hours that concluded in fruitless exploration of obscure properties that were indecipherable I gave up and just made it be 15 players instead. A few years later Blizzard reduced the official playercount to 15, saying 16 players 'was not intended to be supported'. I'll say.

That's why they had Neutral Passive in War3 in the first place!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Wow, the High Elf King and Quel'Delar guy actually got models. There's even a high elf archmage now.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 19, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Half of Dracula posted:

I was just thinking about this, the heroes don't look like their War3 equivilents OR like any sort of WoW character. What's the style supposed to be here? (It's mobile game)

They're trying to be different from the actual important lore heroes. Mountain King no longer looks identical to Muradin. Paladin no longer looks like Uther. Hell, even all the generic one-off Paladins now have their own models.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eregos posted:

Are there multiple variants of the Paladin? Because this HD variant is actually tolerable, unlike the cop one.

I agree most of the HD icons are worse than the originals or sidegrades at best. Almost none are better. Wonder if it'll be possible to play with HD graphics on but the original icons. What they should do is let people review each icon individually to get a better perspective on which ones to redo.

Yes, there are multiple new paladin models. That in the quote post is the new Uther model. All the named Paladins Arthas slaughters in the Undead campaign are also getting new, unique models. It is entirely possible that you'll get the ability to reskin your MP hero model to a campaign variant.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm still mad about Heroes of the Storm. :smith:

I've randomed into a few of the current "pro" scene matches and it's amusing seeing Cho'gall being top NA meta.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Minorkos posted:

Looking at this is really hurting my brain

I know, right?

One of my favorite stupid things to do with War3 maps was alter building facings very slightly to drive people playing crazy.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Malfurion had three different models over War3's campaigns. His RoC one, then in TFT he got a new cape + his stag. So he had one model riding the stag and one on his foot.

I have no earthly idea how they could have changed his foot speed between his stag and foot models. Even in the normal game he had Fast when he wasn't riding because his hero class did.

War3 basiclly abanadoned any colors associating to nations/clans/whatever so everyone is now Flowerpicker.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
There was precisely one blue orc unit in BTDP campaign and that was Dentrag in Orc 2 who was Rescue Passiev and thus didn't show up on the scoreboard.

Gilnaes never showed up in any campaign map either.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I liked Tides of Blood until the meta became spamming consumables and no one ever died so it was just an endless boring slog with no end in sight.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
They pulled that off in Warcraft Orcs and Humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
He was always Malfurion they just almost exclusively called him Furion even in original 3. This just sort of phased itself out for some reason.