Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I would join in, but I have lost three different sets of WC3 CD keys, and don't currently have the money to buy a fourth. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I bought the games again because of this thread and the fact that they were half off.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd be up for a customs session too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's a thought. We could make a Skype group to make it easier to round goons up for games.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Brain In A Jar posted:

DoBRP was the best loving custom map series and I will fight you if you say otherwise.

Not only could you set up NPCs with a patrol route, you could also give each and every one of them unique dialogue when clicked, as well as having basic triggers for switches/doors opening and closing, etc.

All in a live multiplayer environment.

DoBRP was my first introduction to roleplaying, and I spent way too much time on it and its successor SotDRP.

Age of Myths was my favourite DotA-like from WC3 customs. Some of the heroes were incredibly fun. There was this spider who had the ability to create a giant web, then sit in it invulnerable while you shoot out webs at random targets to drag them in and damage them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Naga were ludicrous. In the mission The Brothers Stormrage, I always just defended my Night Elf base and did all the assaults from the Naga side.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shiverbane was great. I always played as the dragons and made a deal with the elf faction to unlock my god hero right off the bat.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've started replaying the WC3 campaign and it's so drat good. The Key of Three Moons is kind of bullshit on hard though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The other two aren't so bad. In the first, you can control the defense by only busting open one path through the trees and the third is easy if you don't let any runners through. The Key though....

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd say that the Long March is dumber than any undead mission.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Eregos posted:

Whenever I play the Orc campaign I make sure to save all 6 healing wards for that mission. Without them it's impossible to clear the extra coves in first 2/3rds of the mission on hard (unless you backtrack from the health fountains). Even with perfect micro, your units will simply run out of hp and die. And since I insist on fully clearing every map, that would be unacceptable. The hard AI on that mission is ruthless about picking off wounded units so yeah it's unforgiving.

It's the first mission that I gave up on clearing out all the nooks and crannies.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel proud of myself because I just completed Twilight of the Gods legitimately for the first time, and did it on hard. It's been several years since I really tackled WC3, and I'm much better at video games than I used to be.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just got up to King Arthas.

:(

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I actually found the TFT finale easier than the RoC one on Hard. Just keep the south and west points capped, focus on building up your forces and take on either the Naga or Blood Elf base just after they deplete their forces with an attack. Once you take one out you've halved the attacks on your base and the mission is yours.

A New Power in Lordaeron though...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Insurrectionist posted:

So I got to the first Human (well, Blood Elf) mission and uh, is this as poorly designed as it seems or did something get hosed up somehow? My first worker doesn't have enough lumber to finish repairing the first Observatory (I assume that's why he refuses to anyway) so I have to leave it 100 health away from repaired, trek alllllll the way to the new Great Hall I put down, harvest 20 lumber with said worker so I can build a farm and then do so, build more workers so I can harvest more lumber, then trek back to the first Observatory and finish the last 5%? What pointless tediousness is this?!

Looking forward to hearing about King Arthas.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jsor posted:

Goddamn it. I forgot about The Long March.

Yeah, gently caress the Long March.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

uniball posted:

Those classic tower guys that everyone loves to click and view continue to play some good-rear end 3s games on Europe, with today's newest being a short Monsoon with a twist. We have some early wins and turn back their first push, but it quickly becomes apparent that our antisiege efforts are unsustainable. What do you do when you have 30k in the bank and a rapidly dwindling supply of towers? Here's the vod and here's the reep.

We continue to rewatch/cast classic replays when we can't find 3s games. Here's one of the Golden Games: Triple UD Rice Fields. It's a classic...I can't believe it turned out how it did (original replay).

Speaking of Golden Games that I also can't believe the results of: The Alamo, a Dual Split Double Reverse Gilderbase (DSDRG) that doesn't quite finish the job (original replay).

Is anyone else playing this game? I mean, of course, the game of Ladder Warcraft 3 [Wig], not Don't Touch My Naruto or whatever. Anyway if you are we'd love to know...maybe we could form a clan on Northrend or something.

e: oops thanks

I'd love to see more of the classic replay casts, they're really entertaining.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

excellent, time to start watching

So did you ever consider using cannon towers while you were working out the strategy? Are they bad, or are they just too expensive?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So the high amount of damage and splash isn't enough to make up for that?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

time for a joke posted:

dang near pooped my pants when they started talking about highperch

What did they say about them?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Prav posted:

maybe there'll be a Classic plot and a Reforged plot

actually that would be pretty funny

The classic campaign will probably still be available as an option.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Something I've been wondering. The AI cheats with resource gains, but does it pretend that workers have an effect on income? Like if you harass and kill workers in a campaign mission, will the AI reduce its attacks for a bit?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Flayer posted:

From what I remember the campaign AI cheats with resources by having its workers carry far more gold per trip than the human player (I think x10). So while you can technically run them out of gold you have to basically shut down their economy so completely that you would have won by force at that point anyway.

I was watching someone play the Sylvanas mission where everyone starts off asleep and they killed all the acolytes and necropoli but the undead base still sent a few attacks. Weak and infrequent but they still came.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So did Blizzard just break the hostbots but make the default host work like hostbots?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's worth noting to anyone that's interested in customs that Bnet is actually active with games hosted by actual people and the requirement of port forwarding is gone.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

THE BAR posted:

Gah! Since when?? :aaa:

The game started being active again since the Reforged announcement, and the patch which killed bots happened shortly after.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SC2 had an extremely fun single player campaign, even if the story was incredibly stupid.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Comrayn posted:

I played like fifteen minutes of the beta for A Year of Rain and it’s like warcraft 3 but with less units and features and generally just not as good. Cool to see the progress we’ve made in sixteen years.

I looked that game up and wow, they really aren't even pretending it's not a ripoff of WC3.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I absolutely love the fact that Clan TOWA will never die. :allears: I can't wait for the rage that will happen when the proper Highperch map gets added to the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Some of the changes are so nonsensical. What is the point in moving Uther's "What!?" to being after Arthas orders the city purged instead of having it be a response to the people turning into undead?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

jokes posted:

Arthas needs to be a strict villain since he was never redeemed but Blizzard doesn’t understand that having a reason for genocide doesn’t exonerate you from committing genocide. Moving the line up removes the reason from their conversation.

lmao the entire excuse for not reforging the cutscenes is that people didn't want the story to be retconned, but they retconned arthas into being a less interesting character anyway

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm pretty sure there is nothing legally stopping them from having a character named Grom.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BlazetheInferno posted:

I have to be honest, even with as bad as a lot of this is... I just don't believe they would go to the trouble of splicing the audio like that if they didn't have to. Especially if they ended up doing that poor a job of it. Switching the order two audio files play in is one thing. But actually going to the trouble of splicing the word "Hellscream" over every single instance of the name "Grom" being spoken throughout the game? I just don't believe it. Something forced them to do it, and I don't mean their plot guys going "HE'S GROMMASH NOW, CALLING HIM GROM IS A SIN, CHANGE IT"

They also went to the effort of figuring out how to make Arthas a less interesting character without recording new dialogue, I can 100% believe they'd do that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

George H.W. oval office posted:

I feel like I know the answer already but did they remaster any of the cinematics other than the opening from BlizzCon?

They didn't even keep the remastered Culling cutscene that they showed off at Blizzcon lmao

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zinkraptor posted:

What they should've done is just make it look like WoW, like literally everyone expected them to. There's a reason people say the art team carrying the game now - the art direction is still really good. They honestly could've just taken models for reforged characters directly out of WoW and it would've looked better.

For example, compare Thall's reforged model to his WoW model. Not so much talking about graphical fidelity as I am about artstyle here. I don't particularly like Thrall's BFA model and I still think it has way more character.

In the end the game is just incredibly ugly, which means it failed step 1 of being a remaster even before all of the bugs and cut content.

Edit: Remake, remaster, whatever. It has the same content so I'm calling it a "remaster" even if it's actually a "remake".

Or better yet, compare it to his Heroes of the Storm model. If they got the guys who did these to make WC3 reforged, it would be gorgeous.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm still mad about Heroes of the Storm. :smith:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In original War 3, Malfurion had two models. One on foot for RoC, then in TFT he got a stag.

They only made a new model for his stag form.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pouring one out for Sammycube.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Horizon Burning posted:

still can't believe how badly blizzard hosed this up

lmao at the fact that square enix of all companies is the one who's clowning on blizzard by doing everything they're trying to do except better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Best dotalike map was Age of Myths, that had some wild custom abilities.