Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

OhFunny posted:

I feel the opposite. I though the old BW pixels hold up better despite the blurriness compared to Warcraft 3's early 2000s 3D graphics.

The Zerg looked a million times better in SC1, compared to both SC:R and SC2. Their buildings especially, they were much more.. Nasty and alive to look at. The new style's way too cartoony to have the same effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cephas posted:

it's gonna be wild when mobas for the WC3 remaster overtake HotS in popularity

I'm really looking forward to playing Rival Nations, Castle Defense, and all those goofy Lord of the Rings maps again. Oh and that weird game, I forget what it's called, where you can choose to either create a single beefy hero or get to create a base and an army, and you go around beating up creeps until you get strong enough to take out other players.

Footmen Frenzy?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, not really. The first two games whole involvement is: there was a war. The orcs lost. Which the game communicates fine.

Most of the prior backstory of import is the camps the orcs start off in which isnt explained at all in any of the games.

They won the first one!

Prav posted:

i want wc2 with a user-friendly ui so bad

It had like six buttons to worry about, what would you like to see changed?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Chopstix posted:

They’ve stated that they will redo the voiceovers too

Oh dear.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Prav posted:

maybe there'll be a Classic plot and a Reforged plot

actually that would be pretty funny

It would fit with how they're handing BfA, that's for sure.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cicero posted:

(catapult -> demolisher, wyvern rider -> wind rider, gyrocopter -> flying machine, steam tank -> siege engine)

The last two sounds like they were trying to avoid copyright claims from Games Workshop.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Azran posted:

Which is very funny because the same thing happened between Valve and Blizzard with Dota, to the point where they changed Skeleton King to Wraith King because of Diablo's Leoric. There's also Windrunner -> Windranger, Necrolyte -> Necrophos, etc.

GW even tried to sue a book author for using the term "space marine". Granted, the administration changed since then and I don't know if they are as lawsuit-happy but man, what a shitshow. The changes they made to the Warhammer Fantasy race names in the transition to Age of Sigmar are REALLY dumb. Just a few examples:

Dwarf -> Duardin
Elf -> Aelf
Orc -> Orruk
Ogre -> Ogor
Lizardmen -> Seraphon
Troll -> Trogoth

The most ironic part is that they had an evil dark elf king, titled The Witch King in-universe, who was called Malekith. Who in turn got renamed to avoid Marvel's attention :v:

They even had perfectly good names, like Dawi for Dwarf and Asur for (High) Elf. Ælf is a The Simpsons tier name change.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

It's worth noting to anyone that's interested in customs that Bnet is actually active with games hosted by actual people and the requirement of port forwarding is gone.

Gah! Since when?? :aaa:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

People still don't seem to join, whenever I make a server. Maybe it's just the odour.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

WC1 still looks amazing, though. Everything's so dark and ominous, and it's fun recognizing pieces of music and things, they later use in WoW.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Is that a mixed faction option?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I think they all have weirdly small heads, coming from WC3.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Oh my word, are they serious at 10 minutes in?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

jokes posted:

a lot of human players just do footman/paladin for a stupid long time.

It tickles the RP part of your brain, and the tickling's good.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

If you've never played before, boot up the original and play through a campaign or two first.

Didn't they bork the original last patch?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Doc Walrus posted:

If you already had it installed I think it should be fine. I've played through the campaigns recently and some vs. AI which I guess I'll go back to. I was hoping players in Reforged would be different from the superveterans in original wc3.

I'll give it a spin. I've been aching for another playthrough, but I heard that they made it unplayable at some point.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I like Reincarnation and Death Pact, the rest are either pointless or hideous.

E:

Sheesh, what happened to that poor tiger??

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

And more importantly, goddamn that human build icon losing the backdrop is going to drive me batty.

Now it's just the repair icon. Might be a mistake?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

That all being said, the game as a whole look pretty bad, even by the standards of the time (it was canceled in 1998 AKA the year Grim Fandango came out) so what happened was probably for the best.

The graphics were drawn by the Mario Hotel/Link and Zelda Philips CD-i guys, wasn't it? It's surprising I've never seen it used for YTPs.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

What happened to that poor Health Stone?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

jackhunter64 posted:

– "Hail and Kill!"' on it, and listed his favourite bands as Pantera, Slayer and Zakk Wylde

But none of those are Manowar!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Gildiss posted:

They had to focus on the most important words like Booty Bay. Can't have any customs with such vulgar terms. The rest is still WIP.

It's not because it's vulgar, they're just protecting their IP.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

..They gave her a hat, didn't they?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

That face is haunting my YT suggested list already.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

porfiria posted:

I guess having lip sync is kinda cool if you care about that, but the original portrait has so much character and charm. The Reforged version is just a high polygon portfolio piece. Awful.

With the way they were constantly moving their gobs in WC3, it sort of felt like they already were synchronized.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Just play the original WC3, if you have the CDs. You can patch up to.. Whatever patch it was before they added in widescreen support, without losing anything to the remake. Demake.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

weird how SC1 had 2 good remasters and wc3 cant manage one.

Battletanks, as well as the spinoff battleships.

Battleships was great, when people played ball and had traders allowed. It got horribly unbalanced in later versions, but it gave an extra dimension when it worked.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Diablo and Starcraft are their only big franchises left and I think unless they make a Starcraft non-rts then Starcraft won't be doing much either. WoW is still going along but I think Shadowlands will only bring in so much.

And Diablo 3's getting creamed by Path of Exile, a free-to-play game on Steam.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

They made a mint, because they're Blizzard. They could release anything and people would buy it.

But they failed to do anything interesting with D3 since RoS released in 2014, and PoE is simply being more productive with their title. How much money a thing has earned is a poor representation of a thing's worth, is what I'm trying to say. D3 has no relevancy in the gaming community at large, while PoE still produces content for people to enjoy.

I'm not even super big on PoE, but I just hate to see a title get dropped like this.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

And they left out the sorry part.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MARKETING!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Nah, looks normal to me.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

They already had Duardin for Dwarfs. What is it now? Fyreslayer or something ludicrous like that?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Heroes of the Storm wasn't awful. From what I've seen of Lord of the Clans, we could've had something good there as well.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Death by butterflies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

jokes posted:

Diablo 3 turned into Chosen One poo poo, Starcraft 2 turned into Chosen One poo poo, WoW has no real cohesive plot so it’s spared the Chosen One poo poo I guess?

The player's the Chosen One when the plot remembers what you've done in the past. Other times, you sift through poop for keys or whatever.

Or watch Thrall murder someone you just beat down.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

And in Diablo, but that was sort of the point.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Always being too late every step of the way was just great in D2.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

You mean you enjoyed not being constantly interrupted by a talking demon head that mocked you like a Saturday morning cartoon villain?

I even enjoyed talking to all the townspeople every time I did or took on a new quest, just to see what they had to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha etc
But for real, has anyone ever killed Diablo in the first game with a Warrior? Regular ranged mobs were impossible to take down.

Use spells, corners, or ignore them. You should be pumping as much into DEX as you can, so your shield makes you invulnerable to single attacks anyway.