Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I enjoy playing the WC3 campaign every so often; maybe its nostalgia but it's just plain fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warchasers was a pretty solid custom game, too.

WC3 campaign is great though; the undead campaign in RoC loving sucks because you don't get skeletal magi so you need to get gargoyles for anti-air or frost wyrms because gently caress that crypt fiend bullshit. Then TFT you get skeletal magi but you also have to deal with boats and, halfway through, Arthas turns useless; at least you get Anub'arak aka The Hero of Heroes.

All the other campaigns are solid though, especially night elf since you either get Maiev "Solid Snake" Shadowsong, who can kill anything anytime and blink infinitely and instantly OR you get two level 10 heroes (one of whom can just summon armies whenever he wants).

Human campaign, you get blood elves and naga. Which means you get to use naga and a handful of priests to heal them when they come back to town after murdering the gently caress out of poo poo I guess.

Ugh WC3 was and is such a good campaign. I hate that we'll probably never see WC4.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That was a good little custom campaign. Orcs kind of got shafted in TFT but whatever. Shame it wasn't even voice-acted or anything.

That Rexxar campaign thing was loving stupid, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In TFT there is a bonus mission you unlock in the mission when you break Kael out of prison or whatever. If you beat the bonus mission (it's actually kind of challenging which is weird for a Blizzard game) you get to have a Pandaren Brewmaster on your team for the next fight, when you have to hold onto the Illidan prison-cage thing.

I don't remember bonus missions in RoC, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pawl posted:

Cat and Mouse was brought into SC2 as Probes vs Zealot. It's pretty fun.

And Island Defense, which was freakin' stellar.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That'd just be sweet. I also just want War3 with updated graphics but whatever. War3 was my favorite of any of the blizzard games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

a new game doesn't have to present any of that lore, they already do "throw out everything" alternate timeline poo poo in WOW

They should just do the events around WC1 and 2 in one game since like 5% of the current warcraft players (in any form) played those.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

QuarkJets posted:

The story is the least difficult part of this, Blizzard is chronically bad at storytelling and is well-known for retconning poo poo out of the blue, they can do literally anything they want with the storyline of a Warcraft 4 and they will sell just as many copies

Can confirm would preorder wc4 tomorrow, no questions asked.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I recently played the WC3 campaign again because it's really great and the game is still really good for that-- it held up really well.

Then you type in the various cheatcodes to break the supply limit and max out your resources. If you have a number of unit producing buildings and the supply limit cheat on, you can actually break the 90 or 100 supply limit by the extent of how many barracks you can task to build units before you get stopped by the supply limit. Thus the real question is how many unit producers can you build? Your only limitation is the map. Fortunately the various races can break down trees with siege weapons.

The world tree was saved not by the combined arms of three factions but by the brute military might of about 150 dryads and Tyrande/Malfurion's ultimate skill.

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 10, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WC3 is a perfect special child of a game, but having recently played some custom games I really think they need to update the map editor/engine so that the system doesn't just lock units in place if there are greater than 50 units walking around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This'll be fun. I was thinking of playing Warcraft 3 again soon so I guess I'll just wait for this. I'm very excited for the multiplayer scene though. Talking about BurbTD, elemental TD, tower wars, FFORPG, ToB, vampirism/island defense. I'm very excited.

Diablo 2 remake when.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

finally a semi-coherent way to field my billion zombie armies

Making me remember the clever poo poo people had to do to overcome limitations of the engine? The ring of waypoints you move a peasant onto to issue an auto-attack to your entire army.

And then the AI/pathfinding getting bogged down if you issue more than like, 50 commands.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm just happy to see relatively advanced tactics from I guess an official Blizzard-sanctioned thing. Buying invuln potions never really crosses a typical pubbie's mind. Mountain King/Rifleman is a similar 'pretty good player' build since a lot of human players just do footman/paladin for a stupid long time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Footmen actually seem like they swung and the sword kinda got stuck for a second on impact. It seemed weighty considering most other weapon swings in video games at the time were just soldiers whiffing through the air in a big ol' horizontal slice or something but still registering a hit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Warcraft III: Towers will win 100% we win, stay and see

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s a game of economics for sure. It’s also an interesting thought process.

The difference between buying a unit at low upkeep versus high upkeep is 2.5x the gold ticks.

A mine has, what, 15,000 gold? A footman costs 135 gold. At low upkeep a full mine can produce 111 footmen. At high upkeep you can produce only 44.

The normal pubbie builds up and then sends off a large army, or just sits at high upkeep.

If you wanted to drain a full gold mine that’s been mined at high upkeep, you only need to destroy 22 demolishers (68 at low upkeep). The juiciest quarry, frost wyrms, cost 385. That’s only 15 frost wyrms (38 at low upkeep) to fully drain a gold mine.

There’s really no better way to drain an enemy’s resources than to just hero harass around a wall of towers while sitting at low upkeep. They basically HAVE to build up a huge army at high upkeep to take on a wall of towers. Those dragon hawks with the aerial shackles are stupid good value.

It’s honestly mathematically a really good strategy. The problem is that a pubbie will build 2 towers and they die instantly to a late-game push and say “towers are poo poo” and then lol. Or they think “well siege weapons are obvious counters” but not really since heroes take them out so easily.

So the pubbie will sit at a point where they can’t push with regular units because the towers mulch them, but then they build siege engines at high upkeep because they’re not gonna destroy their army to free up upkeep. They’ll just park a huge army outside the towers’ range, and then build a bunch of siege.

The way to beat the tower strategy is really either completely crushing them with a stupid-huge army (and a good amount of Dhawks for cloud) or bleeding the defenders through hero/tower sniping.

I bet sorceresses casting invisibility on a blood mage with or without anti-magic shell would be a good way to sneakily murder a tower cluster.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The portraits being literal pictures of the units really doesn’t help differentiate between them. Archmage is white man with beard, paladin is a white man with a beard, mountain king is a white man with a beard. At least original hero icons had a little oddity/uniqueness to them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can't believe they removed captain america mask. A true tragedy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kith posted:

Highperch is from an era where map designers were experimenting with pushing specific unit compositions based on terrain features. Highperch in particular is trying to emphasize heavy air compositions by putting the fountains where only air units can get to them.

This is interesting. Mapmaking in WC3 was as much about trying out random poo poo as it was about competitive play. Some maps are clearly intended for “taking a match seriously” and others were more... loose.

At the time they probably thought that people would play the fountains like some sort of weird control point and it’d help with healing up before an air-only push, or act as a staging point for air-based harasses. Instead it’s just completely ignored until the fine people at highperch determined how to win 100%.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I still to this day have no idea why I have never been able to host games in Warcraft 3, despite a relatively sophisticated understanding of networking nowadays.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wowza that was brutal and beautiful. Brutiful.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t want to play WC3 I just want to watch y’all do this again and again.

I mean, really, a reprisal in the form of a DDOS attack??? In TYOOL 2020?!?! OVER A WARCRAFT 3 STRATEGY??!

Y’all are truly, honestly, awesome people.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mokhu posted:

Where do you guys go for build guides?

I'd just hit B and then T.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wasn't WC3's just completely random? You get a random sampling of 20 game lobbies or whatever?

Imagine implementing an algorithm or whatever the gently caress that is worse than, literally, the laziest thing you could possibly do with a lobby browser.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

so blizzard actually put in work on... what, exactly?

Contribution of IP and branding to provide fuel for the fire.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am very excited for when Blizzard decides to “do better” or whatever that apology was about.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arthas needs to be a strict villain since he was never redeemed but Blizzard doesn’t understand that having a reason for genocide doesn’t exonerate you from committing genocide. Moving the line up removes the reason from their conversation.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dr.acula posted:

Is dota1 on wcr yet?

Ironically, it's all trademarked and copyrighted by Valve now so the new rules would prevent it from ever being legally released on WC3R without valve's permission.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

To be strictly accurate Chris Metzen did a good job back when, then did exactly the same job for the rest of his tenure.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Khorne posted:

Yeah. But he loved that job.

I think it's funny that Metzen's writing used to be one of the biggest complaints about the company.

The problem only popped in when they started thinking their writing was good and not just indulgent campy Starship Troopers/Warhammer poo poo written for teenagers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

God seeing them side by side like that is depressing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really hate that the unit portraits don't have them goofily moving their head and mandible around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All the hero portraits in the campaign are also stupidly still. Their mouths/faces barely move while talking. They used to have a lot of head movement or crazy jaw movements while talking, and now they just stare forward and look like they're muttering.

Still glad I haven't bought this game, as it's funner seeing the gently caress-ups secondhand.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wish the new art team made the asset “portal pulled open by ghost hands” have a goatse ring since it’s not like Blizzard was gonna look at anything anyways, lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elephunk posted:

Wintermaul is king

Wintermaul, NOT Wintermaul wars.

And NOT the Wintermaul that didn’t have spawns for everyone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elephunk posted:

I was playing Wintermaul last year and they put out some new version with pre-made mazes shaded into the terrain for people to build on top of, that was kinda weak IMO

Oh yikes no thanks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Goddamn, Blizzard.

It’s like they had someone who wasn’t too good at coding build the entire toolbox to make the game. Then they fired him and hired someone else to figure out how to use the toolbox. Then that new guy had to explain how to use the toolbox to the actual team that makes the game. But he could only do it over the phone while in an elevator.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

porfiria posted:

Malfurion marrying a tiger does sound like something he’d do.

"Hush, Tigger" doesn't have the same meme potential as "Hush, Tyrande"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So they deleted non-stag Malfurion forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There was a map where you picked a tank model and loaded up with specific weapons, and they would do things like automatically fire at dudes in range or allow you to shoot a big rear end bomb or you could load up on extra armor plating or faster engines. Instead of a tank you could pick an airship that was very fast, but was much less sturdy than other vehicles, etc. Some models had less than 6 slots available but made up for it in other ways.

The game ruled and it was the best of the DOTAs but the nature of the game was very much about just deciding on a build than actually playing it which meant there was a "Correct Way To Play" and you'd absolutely get demolished by a guy with zero recourse. And then you'd play as that next game, and then after a while everyone was doing the same poo poo.

It was still a really cool game/idea, though. Playing it blind with a bunch of randos was a LOT of fun.

SirSamVimes posted:

lmao at the fact that square enix of all companies is the one who's clowning on blizzard by doing everything they're trying to do except better.

Trials of Mana and FF7R are doing so loving well both in sales and in players' sentiment by completely remaking two very, very old games. Meanwhile Blizzard failed at a loving model swap.