Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

sullat posted:

So what you're saying is that every month is Confederate Heritage month in Mississippi?

Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

I definitely didn't lose the book with him in for about three months or anything :shobon:

The brutal fighting at Vauquois is the last significat thing he wrote about :; the story just stops in its tracks from April until September 1955, when he gets home leave for the first time and then deserts into the Netherlands. (The Friendly Feldwebel quickly left the Eastern Front for a dull stint of headquarters duty, then got stuck in Second Champagne, then got wounded by shellfire on day 3 of Verdun and was declared unfit for front-line service; he's eventually sent with a third-line unit to guard the Danish border in case someone should steal it, where he took the opportinity to desert.)

I assume you mean 1915?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'd have to wonder if some form of Dolchstoßlegende would lead to a second Union vs Confederacy showdown 10 or 20 years later.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

i don't know what i was expecting, but it wasn't this:
https://stpaulcenter.com/about/staff/view/dr.-michael-waldstein

The way that url was shortened made me see "Chad Wallenstein" at first.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is that a silhouette of a dude in a room under the launching missile?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

That's not a place you should be using JPEG.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

time to once again mention that 16th century autopsy where a guy chased another dude in a flat out run for quite a while before falling over and when they opened him up he had been skewered right through the heart

also i read an account of a fight from my own research where a guy looked down on the ground, at his own blood, and only collapsed after that

Taking a look at this, there's apparently a nearly 1/3 chance of surviving a stab wound in the heart. Gunshots are way more deadly, with only a 9.7% chance of surviving (although like hell you'd see that happen in a movie other than maybe Crank 3).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

haha what? Thanks for the link.

Looking at the number of survivors for each category, you probably need a hospital to survive the penetrating heart wounds (the number of survivors overall and for those transported to the trauma center is the exact same).

That said, the fact that they can make it long enough for the doctors to do whatever you do in that case is pretty impressive.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 13, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Found this floating around in my photos, no clue where or when, but it's probably something about military trials of a punt gun circa WWI.

I'm pretty sure I saw that exact picture in an article about Punt Guns before.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Really, now that I think about it, if anyone was going to use gas it probably would have been the US just blanketing Shitheap Atol #245 for a few weeks to make the landing that much easier.

IIRC the Japanese were really, really scared of US gas attacks, to the point that while they had their own gas program, they weren't willing to put it into use, even if the US forces used gas in isolated cases, to avoid creating an environment of full-scale gas warfare.

Nenonen posted:

I think Hitler's personal experiences have been overplayed. Chemical weapons weren't all that effective or reliable in WW1 and in WW2 everyone had gas masks from the start, why even bother?

There is the deal with sarin/tabun, where mirror imaging resulted in the Germans not using gas due to fear of retaliation in kind.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It may also have to do with missile electronics. An arm launcher can point the missile in the right direction from the get go, so it doesn't have to "find" the signals after launch.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Is hazardous terrain, */10

Hey being in a position nobody wants to occupy is super useful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Thanqol posted:

So Wikipedia suggests that the thing that made Franco's demands unreasonable was that he wanted a shitload of military equipment, which Hitler couldn't afford. Do we know what Spain's territorial ambitions were, if any?

For starters, Gibraltar.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

IIRC the barges would have taken over 24 hours to cross the channel, so the RN could have gone in at night. I don't think night air attacks against ships were any good from anybody at that point (other than Taranto).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Indeed. Sealion was never a plauseable operation, especially with what we know about overlord.

Also guys I made my first GIF and it is mil-hist related!

Victory through Airpower, right? It's really weird to watch "Walt Disney wants to burn people to death: the movie".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Question about the infamous Action off Samar; I ran into this quote (from the 'the world wonders' article):

Except, isn't that like a fuckload of aircraft? Was that not enough to severely gently caress up the attacking Japanese forces, without desperate sort of stuff from Taffy-3? Or were those actually dispersed throughout a large area or something?

IIRC that was dispersed over a fair area (Taffy 1, for example, never saw the Japanese Navy). Equipment was also an issue. There were accounts of aircraft making attack runs without ammo, or attacking with depth charges, etc. There's also issues of availability due to mechanical factors.

Did the air attacks actually get anything? OK checking it over it appears they got two of the heavy cruisers by attrition.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 23, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Also holy loving poo poo was Chikuma unlucky:

quote:

Chikuma sank from the effect of the air attack, and Nowaki only arrived in time to pick up survivors from the water.[3]

On 26 October 1944, Nowaki was sunk by gunfire from the cruisers USS Vincennes, Biloxi and Miami and DesDiv 103's Miller, Owen and Lewis Hancock. The ship sank 65 miles (105 km) south-southeast of Legaspi, Philippines with about 1,400 men including all but one of Chikuma's surviving crewmen.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

If I remember correctly, Halsey staged a big press blitz right after Leyte in hopes of getting ahead of things.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tomn posted:

Y'know, come to think of it, why not talk about battlefield magic throughout history? Lord knows people have been willing to believe in the supernatural for ages, and it's the most natural thing in the world to try and turn it to your advantage in a life or death struggle if you think it exists. So - anybody here know anything much about people's attempts to harness magic in military history? Roman soothsayers reading the entrails, Chinese sorcerers summoning wind and rain, Norse shamans cursing their enemies, Christian priests calling on the blessings of God, early modern kings frowning over astrological charts, World War 2 superstitions about how to avoid shellfire, anything would be interesting - though I'd be particularly interested in cases where it was thought that the wizard in question would have a more direct effect than a vague "good luck."

Well, there's always the Battle of the Bulge Weather Prayer.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Carl Vinson was saying things like "The modern development of aircraft has demonstrated conclusively that the backbone of the Navy today is the aircraft carrier" four months before Taranto and 15 months before Pearl Harbor.

That's a congressman, not a member of the navy or something. He also put a few billion dollars where his mouth was.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

It's pretty depressing how many of the ships at Jutland seem to sink with no survivors. Is that how it usually goes in naval battles, was that typical of WW1 ships, or is it a fluke for some reason or another?

e: I enjoyed the Japanese sabotage munitions blog post btw.

I think it's the effect of an explosion in a confined space. Most/all the dudes on the ship are basically dead before the ship goes under, and it goes under FAST so even the guys who were stunned or whatever aren't going to make it.

Also the water is probably drat cold.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

spectralent posted:

World of Warships actually has loads of massive islands everywhere to provide cover.

When you play on the one map that doesn't, you immediately understand why.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

RogueTM posted:

Are you talking about the battle between Admiral Hipper and HMS Glowworm here, because I can't find anything about any of the 5 Somers-Class Destroyers having a fight with Admiral Hipper?

It might be a typo on the destroyer type and he's relating something that happened in World of Warships.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

xthetenth posted:

So glad Naval Institute Press did another print run, my dad's copy was good for only one reading. Surprisingly excellent for a falling apart book with a pulp cover and red pages.

You can get that on Kindle now.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

What if you wanted something to keep up with your fast carriers and had a large anti air armament so that they could protect your carriers from enemy air attack? Seems like a perfect use for a battlecruiser.

Well, you could probably get an AA cruiser for cheaper, or an Iowa-type fast battleship that can keep out shells from a Kongo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Elyv posted:

Can you elaborate? I've never heard of this.

I assume literal Stalinists, who considered the war to be a capitalist enterprise right up until Barbarossa where they suddenly did a 180.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

Being a hyperaggressive idiot who makes a shitload of charges against an entrenched enemy works sometimes and then people start to think that it is how you're supposed to do. Gustav Horn was a lovely general.

See also the Russo-Japanese War and its influence on WW1.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

The German Type 212s supposedly have the ability to launch a short-range SAM based on the IRIS-T through the torpedo tubes while submerged. Guidance is fiber-optic and I'm guessing its really more as a defense against snooping helicopters than defense against full-blown naval patrol aircraft.

I know wire-guided torpedoes are a thing, but how much fiber-optic cable can you fit on a missile?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

bewbies posted:

In 1944, in terms of sheer industrial capacity /potential, would you take the United States, or the rest of the world?

The US has a lot of guns and such, but I don't think they have enough dudes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Why the gently caress is anyone trying to be serious about this poo poo when Erdogan is calling into the news via Facetime to reassure them that everything is under control

FACETIME

Free Apple advertising.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

nothing to seehere posted:

Another piece of crazy poo poo I just remembered: Most of the Goldman Sachs board dies in the inital demon invasion by accident, goes to hell... and then gets liberated by the human forces and starts suing the rest of the board for control of the company from Hell.

I don't remember that part.

I do remember some bit about a restored naval reserve boat that I don't think went anywhere that seemed kind of weird.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

The Colonial Office basically pulled Imperial troops out of New Zealand in the late 1860s once it became apparent that the "defensive wars" against the Maori were more like "smash and grab". The New Zealand government rather adorably got furious about this and seriously debated asking Britain to ensure New Zealand was neutral in any future British wars, until the Russian scare (also insane) reminded New Zealand why they needed Britain.

Russian scare? Was there a fear of Imperial Russia invading New Zealand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Make it more absurd and have them playing Warhammer Total War.

Their random British army guys might be more qualified to give advice on that, depending on era.

• Locked thread