Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

So, about that link to Tilly's wikipedia article, you know how members of lots of skilled professions are often depicted next to something they've made?

Brick-laying was a very respected profession back then :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Libluini posted:

Well, yeah. But what happens after Hitler destroys the Sowjet Union,

Hell freezes over.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why does america abbreviate aircraft carriers as cvs? Where does the V even come from?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

From my understanding Germany never really did the "War economy" thing to the extent that allied nations did.

This is a common misconception.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Pretty empty.

I don't think anyone would be removing the corpses.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I particularly like the high-octane :911: that went to the design concept: "a spherical grenade the size and weight of a common baseball would be effective in the hands of American troops. The designers believed that by emulating a baseball, any American young man should be able to properly throw the grenade with both accuracy and distance."

wasn't there some pro-baseball player in the pacific who kept throwing back grenades thrown at him by the japs.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

And here I was just thinking "Man, this thread got so much better since keldoclock stopped posting"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Agean90 posted:

so we owe the nazis for preventing churchill from making another fuckup then?

Not really, by 1942 the United Kingdom had enough anthrax to render Germany uninhabitable for centuries.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My favorite thing about Italian unification is how they had all that potential for greatness and then consistently hosed things up for the better part of half a century.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

Why don't tanks use water-cooled machine guns?

It's easier to store HE rounds for the main gun than tanks of water.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

and the Nazis would have a significant air advantage.

Didn't they have overwhelming air superiority at Stalingrad as well?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

On a more recent note there was a German dramatic miniseries titled "Our Fathers, Our Mothers" (or the loving awful re-title "Generation War" if you want to find it on Netflix) that looked at a group of friends across the war years and it was pretty OK with depicting people getting into nasty poo poo. I could do a whole different post where I dissect that movie, but the long and the short of it is that it is another example of Germans more or less being willing today to accept that their military did some unsavory poo poo in the 40s.

Didn't that end up causing a huge amount of controversy?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are clandestine outlawries like not a big issue in england?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My favorite Stuart Slade bit of lore is that time some Norwegian guy on his forum offering constructive criticism on his story so in response Stuart tried to own him by having Russia basically annex Finland in one of his books.

also despite that I'd still rank the two Armageddon books above that of the world war series because they don't constantly remind you of a characters primary trait every time they show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nucken Futz posted:

Do with me what you will.

get rid of igoyougo for god sakes and you'll have the perfect wargame

• Locked thread