Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Unless you're taking on really high-level missions or playing Survival/Endless defense for a long time, shotguns aren't really bad at all. They just lose out on range. In Warframe, the majority of content is basically bringing what you want, even if it is suboptimal because it won't matter if you've plugged in a few good mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yaos posted:

After playing some more I found some things I don't like. Sometimes the levels require running across walls, but nobody knows how to do it (and neither do I), so we spend a few minutes jumping at a wall until the wall run decides to kick in. The green lasers that bounce you back are annoying as hell and only serve to make the mission take longer; I thought the cameras brought them up but I've gotten stuck behind lasers with no camera in sight.

From my experience, the most the game will ever ask of you is a simple straight wallrun-up and backflip off. The Grineer ship tileset has a number of rooms with parkour elements but always has an alternate route. For instance, the circular room that you can parkour up? There's a series of ramps right on the left before you get to the vertical space.

If they're on the other side of a big room and a camera spots them, all the laser doors for that room activate. This tends to be annoying when people don't look up.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Some wierd bugs lately. Like the one that occasionally disables the melee key.

It's an older one but the way to fix it (usually) is to get knocked down by something.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Probably happened to me once too, but how does someone keep making the same mistake for 3 minutes. :psyduck:

Also on Capture mission talk, usually I have to chase the VIP down and shoot him myself when with pubbies because they keep going after the poo poo mobs too. Goddamn go play survival/defence if you like it so much.

It's the sort of thing that should only throw you off once or twice. Any more than that is seriously WTF.

And it's 2013 but people still can't be trusted to do anything other than kill everything.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

chumbler posted:

Tigris (the double barreled shotgun): poo poo. Its reload is way too long for its 2 (really just 1) shot magazine, and its base damage is not high enough to compensate for either of those things. It still has damage dropoff, doesn't have a wide spread or high number of pellets, and doesn't have a good crit chance or any real redeeming features. There is absolutely no reason to use this gun unless you just really want a double barreled shotgun. Like it's so bad I don't think a single person at DE play tested it, and I honestly wonder how nobody saw its stats and thought "Hey maybe this blows." Use the sobek.

Valkyr: Like the tigris, I'm not sure anyone really play tested Valkyr. She has mediocre base stats apart from armor (which is largely useless) and the lowest or tied for lowest shields in the game. Her energy is low, but to an extent that's not a big deal. Hulk hands is fun and powerful, and makes fighting in melee feel good, if overly simplistic since there are no charge attacks.

One thing to note, however useless it may be, is that holding down the LMB on the Tigris fires one shot, letting go fires the other. If you just click it, it'll fire both in quick succession. Pretty useless, yeah.

And Valkyr's ultimate is also based off your current melee weapon (At least the attack speed), so if you plan on using her and her ultimate, equip something with fast attack speed and slot in the appropriate mods.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kanos posted:

The corpus allies seem to be showing up as red dots a lot of the time.

And you can even scan them!

Seriously, scan them. The spawn room and one or two rooms are almost always blocked off from the rest of the level by elevator. Perfect time to scan whatever's in the room because they're practically standing still. Shield ospreys are a bitch to scan once they start moving.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Schubalts posted:

People speedrun survival or just never stick together. Every time I've been in a survival mission, there is at least one person that I never see again after we spawn in, or I end up in a big room by myself because the team scattered to the loving winds without saying anything.

Had a guy harass the hell out of the rest of the team once because he ran off and died.

He only had one kill. Another guy quit so it was just two of us active and we made it to 20m.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yaos posted:

I just bought the bundle. I'm mastery level 2, however the game gave me the Soma and let me equip it. Quite a big oversight, or maybe Darvo greased some palms.

It's kind of standard really. I'm not sure if you can buy weapons beyond your mastery rank with plat, but the restriction has almost always been on obtaining the blueprints/weapon rather than using it. It's just another little hook to get you to spend.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

AndyAML posted:

:siren: Venera (Venus): Tenno Sympathizer Located - 97m - 4400cr - Orokin Reactor (Blueprint) :siren:

Reactors are very rare so take advantage of this while you can!

Tenno Sympathizer sounds hilarious, especially after what we know from the Excalibur and Stalker codex entries.

Kanos posted:

Nah, it's an oversight. XP locks normally block you out of buying weapons even with plat.

Good to know.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Crowbear posted:

I'm really loving my shiny new Soma too but at this point I have doubts that Hammer Shot and Split Chamber will ever drop for me :qq: :qq: :qq:

I think I've got some spares I can give you later today if you're on PC.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

folgore posted:

I do wish there was more depth to the gameplay, it feels super shallow and samey after the absurd amount of time I put into it. But it got me to play way too much to begin with, so I can't rightly call it a bad game.

Sure you can, it's just a bad game that's also fun.

I play Warframe on and off. It just takes certain weapons or stuff to do like the codex to get me playing it for a few hours a day again. It's not like the gameplay has changed, it's still a fairly shallow FPS that manages to pull off the ninja thing well because of the parkour system, as fiddly as it is, and how melee weapons are on a button instead of being something you switch to. It helps that they've incorporated parkour into level design too. Some stuff like the Grineer galleon's vertical cylinder of doom are still terrible, but the circular room that involves you taking the long way up to get upstairs has easy shortcuts if you've got the speed and can do a simple vertical wallrun with a midair crouch-slide. Plenty of games have better shooting, there's other games that do melee combat (Or melee and shooting) well, and there's games that does parkouring better, but Warframe manages to combine them well enough. It's got that unique appeal going for it, as well as the aesthetics of things. Not every weapon or Warframe comes off perfectly but enough look great and you can make things look amazing with the right color schemes.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

wid posted:

I would give it 6.5/10. I don't get the low score for all the reviews when people just can't stop logging hours into it. They'reWe're all hating the shallow depth to the game but the gameplay is just fun and satisfying. It's practically the Bejewelled of shoot-mans games. The stylish explosions and shiny environments are just different enough from anything else out there that it's not boring to look at. Gaming journalists are retards who can't value anything except getting gifts from developers. Also doesn't help that gamers will complain about anything other than getting fellated by super model fellatio world champion at all times because they'rewe're literally manchildren.

Seriously, name the last AAA title you spent as much time as this game. I couldn't even break 70 hours with Skyrim. Even with mods.

Are the devs not good enough to make the game properly? Maybe, but do you think a more competent, AAA-minded devs would even make something like this? They'd make a F2P 3PS CoD-lite instead with tons of microtransactions.

Or maybe I'm just jaded after a year's abuse at the hands of PGI's Mechwarrior Online. DE looks like geniuses compared to PGI. AT the very least they do not blatantly and proudly show utter contempt of their own player base.

Game reviewers are just looking to get their work out and get hits. Rating systems never make sense and often don't reflect what the review actually mentions. They're almost never critiques on a serious level and game reviewers, at least the bigger ones that focus on AAA games, are all about getting clicks. ME3 showed clearly enough that they just didn't engage with the game and the series in a similar manner as the average fan and the obsessed ones.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Warframe is basically a FPS Diablo game. The big things are that rather than randomized drops with a smattering of randomized stats, you get the bits of stats that you can upgrade and slot into your equipment. The combat isn't a painful slog like other FPS Diablo-likes until you get to really high levels where even the most awesome gun takes time to kill stuff. One of the big downsides of Diablo-like games is that you won't get what you want from drops very easily. Warframe dodges that because mods, even if they're just a repeat, can be used to upgrade others. Bosses have a guaranteed drop that uses a small drop table, it's not until the Orokin Void where you run into the issue of wanting one or two pieces but you're always getting something else instead. Fang Prime Blades :argh:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It wouldn't be so bad if the UI wasn't making GBS threads itself while trying to mod a high level serration.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Epsilon Plus posted:

Little cosmetic model poo poo like scopes, magazines, etc. would be kinda cool. No effect on the weapon, just something to further distinguish yourself. That's a cool idea.

Warframe doodads would be cool as well.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sandweed posted:

You men like scarfs, alternate hats or even new skins?

More than just that. Those pretty much work in a single slot so at best you get a variety of the same things. Just being able to do something like attach an extra bulky pauldron on one shoulder, or a bunch of Ash-specific shuriken on the arms or the legs would add a lot more customization. Warhammer Online had the concept (Not sure if it ever made it into the game given how poorly it did) of giving players a bunch of attachment points on their avatar and they could equip a up to a certain amount of vanity accessories.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Been forma'ing the Tigris because despite being poo poo, it's oddly fun to use. Does anyone on PC have a Vicious Spread and Contagious Spread they want to trade? I don't exactly have a ton of rare mods unfortunately.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

wid posted:

Someone who said DE is being like Riot Games by pumping out content before focusing on balance is correct. Content is important if they wanted to have existing players keep playing and to entice older players to come back. The more the core system changes, the harder it is for the content makers to keep making stuff. They'll need to pad up the game some more before they could shift the focus on balance changes.

Eh, DE is way worse than Riot. It'd be one thing if it were content before balance, but as Damage 2.0 showed, DE can't even do balance. Combat system is still too FPS to really support complex and fun bosses. Right now, it's basically bosses that are existing enemies but beefed up with new abilities and bosses with mandatory invulnerability phases.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

chumbler posted:

Invulnerability phases aren't inherently bad and are arguably necessary in a game like this, it's just that they often last way too long. I've said it before, but I still think new Ruk is perfectly fine as boss designs go. The OD golem is a neat idea, but it's just dreadfully boring because it has too much health and too much downtime.

Invulnerability phases aren't necessarily bad but Warframe's gameplay doesn't mesh well with it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Denzine posted:

Yeah there's finally enough poo poo in the game that the moment you get the money for a vanilla Braton you never have to touch your MK-1 again.

But it'll still be there, in your profile. Sub-30. Forever.

Tell me about it. There's still a bunch of useless poo poo I've never leveled up on their own, particularly the dual weapons you need two of to craft, and some melee poo poo.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kneejerk posted:

I haven't seen this particular tileset before, where you go through some sort of reactor tube and then on the outside of the ship. It's really cool.

And free potatoes aren't bad either, I guess.

They're fleshing out invasions so it's pretty nice. There's the astroid base that's the same on both sides, as well as the boarding pod (Grineer-side) and air duct exit (Corpus-side). There's also the shuttle-bay portal for Infested invasions in a Corpus tileset, though I haven't seen any planet-based invasion tiles or a Grineer Infested invasion tile.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

randombattle posted:

Must be nice to have a thunderbolt mod. :saddowns:

Man I get poo poo for mod loot from everything.

I got a spare thunderbolt if you're on PC.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Did thunderbolt finally get fixed to do more than 250 damage?

redstormpopcorn posted:

IIRC it's a chance for additional blast damage now.

The damage is now applied after the actual projectile damage rather than instead. It's not affected by mods nor does it scale, last I checked, but adding occasional AoE does let you whittle down groups faster in combination with a pimped out bow.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

randombattle posted:

Man I'd love a thunderbolt.

I've just had terrible luck with drops since the reset. Still haven't even gotten the real pistol multishot mod yet either.

I'm Selic in-game, not always on but if you're ever in the IRC channel (I'm Argas there, woooo years of different usernames), you can yell at me to get my butt onto Warframe for a trade.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

As grindy as Warframe is, it's really quite something when you realize that DE is either very generous at monetizing the game or very incompetent at it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ice Fist posted:

:negative:

What have they DONE!?

Ember had a tanking ability. People liked to play her that way. DE said Ember is not a tank.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

According to the Codex, Oxium Ospreys can drop Hell's Chamber.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Man, Invasion needs a better UI.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I rarely use Rhino stomp anymore because these days, I'm mostly formaing weapons to be better or making some old favorites more potent.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If you like it, I guess. I've forma'd my Tigris a few times so that it's pretty drat powerful, just not completely optimal compared to the best guns.

I kind of wish Warframe had MGS-style stealth and the hilarious possibilities that MGS games have. Lay down next to a man while holding a torch, and he'll eventually go up in flames? Yes please.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Metaprognosticate posted:

Captain Vor on Mercury actually drops them sometimes. I played the mission a few times when I first started out and got 2 fairly early on as a result.

Orokin cells have a tiny chance of dropping from anything. Ruk is just the easier of the two bosses designated for cell dropping.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Alteisen posted:

So when I'm slotting this stuff.

Do I just slot what I need for a faction? Or do I jumble them all together?

And I took the ignis blueprint from the dojo but I guess its a level 4 weapon. :downs:

There's slot priority, which is left-to-right, top-to-bottom. So if you put in all four elements, the combination is based off slot position. If you don't mind switching loadouts frequently, you can make multiple loadouts for a single piece of equipment (The A/B/Cs on the upgrade page). Personally, I get lazy and go with an element or combo that works with the strength of the weapon.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Distributing the UI around like this always feels weird to me. I can understand having the minimap on its own because you don't want to clutter that up at all. At least the HUD margins and UI scaling makes it less annoying now. Kind of wish it had WoW or FF14 levels of UI customization (At least for moving poo poo around, maybe skins too) but MMOs push player options in ways other games are too scared to do.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I enjoy the current system but it has serious teething issues as they keep adding more stuff to the game.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

sleeptalker posted:

I killed Stalker after he killed his target and was kneeling to teleport away, but it was fair because he attacked while we were stuck in a defense claim/battle screen.

It's weird and buggy, yet totally awesome when that happens.

He can kill you while you're stuck on a menu. It just adds to his mystique.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Szurumbur posted:

So what more is there to making new Frames than completing a Blueprint? I've claimed the Banshee chassis blueprint, thinking that this would give me a new Frame, but it doesn't - is it just a part of another, larger blueprint?

There's the Frame BP, which requires you to build the Chassis, Helmet, and Systems for that particular frame. To build those pieces, you need the blueprint from various bosses or missions. The wiki has the info.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Oh man, as cool as a pimped out dojo would be, I appreciate that all our labs are pretty much together in one spot.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Skandranon posted:

I really don't get why everyone likes Rhino so much. It felt so slow and boring using him. I get that Iron Skin is extremely effective, along with Stomp, but... it felt more like playing a vanilla FPS than space-ninja-simulator when playing Rhino.

Get a Vanguard helmet.

Congrats, Rhino is now almost as fast as Loki in base speed.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

hooah posted:

Is it just me, or does Zephyr not Zorencopter all that well?

It's probably related to how floaty she is. I notice that sometimes as Zephyr I can't actually run up a wall and do a backflip because she just stays suspended in the air while doing the backflip rather than actually pushing off a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Pierson posted:

The intern carrying Update 13 to the server room slipped on a banana peel and uh-oh now there's Update 13 all over the floor!

Quick, get a Vauban to clean it all up.