Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Or tall to the girl on the far eastern side of the map on the second level and deal with her problems. One of the NPCs involved in the quest will have a medallion in his corpse.

I believe you can also tell the female courtesan you're there to kill the madam and she's like "Cool, she's a bitch. I'll let you in" but that may be depend on charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I might be wrong but I believe a prone enemy results in an automatic hit unless it's a critical miss so if you're worried about trolls you can give anyone bow.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Has anyone tried using the tweak pack with this yet? I ain't playing unless I can stack ammo & potions, goddamnit.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Didn't the author say that he hated writing adaptations and that he wrote most of the novel on the toilet?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Haven't played Dragonspear yet because I'm a masochist and I've decided to do a full playthrough from the beginning, but I can say the best thing about the 2.0 patch is the removal of the CRTL-J teleport delay. The worst thing is having to click on an additional TRAVEL button on the world map to move to a new are. What the gently caress was the point of that other than make people familiar with the old engine sit there and stare blankly at their screens wondering why the next map wasn't loading?

As for the Minsc ethics line and trans character outrages, who gives a poo poo please take it to tubmlr.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Permanent death is when they get chunked and their portrait disappears. Regular death is running out of hit points and dropping all the gear. The npc portrait will turn grey and you can take them to a temple to be resurrected (or cast raise dead yourself if you have a high enough level cleric or a scroll).

e. You have to be invisible AND flank AND be using a thief weapon to backstab.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

MonsterEnvy posted:

Beamdog version.

Make sure you're running the launcher and not just the application executable. When you open the program does an intermediate window with patch notes show up or does it go straight into the game menu? If the latter, you're not using the launcher.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I would be very surprised if the saves are compatible and the best idea would probably be to export the character file on tutu and import it into a new SOD game. But I could be wrong...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think Galen Bale's fee is the worst thing to rush. Nothing like walkng out of the slaver den and De'Arnise keep and right into nightly vampire ambushes.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mortimer posted:

if they ever make a BG3 in the fashion of siege of dragonspear I want them to be able to import ToB characters and keep it going towards even more unreasonable power levels. Be a level 65 sorcerer firing galaxies gurran lagann-style at other demigods.

That's already kinda the plot of Mask of the Betrayer.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed SOD and thought it was worth the money, it was a relatively long expansion that scratched the itch for new Baldur's Gate content.

If you are genuinely upset about a throwaway easter egg line in the expansion pack to an 18 year old video game you probably also the kind of gigantic baby nerd that signed the petition to shut down RottenTomatoes because they were aggregating bad reviews for Suicide Squad, and you should reevaluate your personal priorities.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
IIRC, the only statement they made was that they were unable to track her down or something to that effect. They apparently recorded all her lines with another actress, but it wasn't close enough to the original voice to not be distracting, especially with most of the other original voice actors returning. So they scrapped the voice entirely, lesser of two evils I guess.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's a weird way to say like second or third best, but it also contained the drat wolfwere island easily the worse area in any infinity engine game.

That's a funny way to spell Firewine Dungeon.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wizard Styles posted:

Whenever it comes up I wonder if there is anyone that goes through Firewine Dungeon without cheat-teleporting.

Na, just enter the ruins via the backdoor in Gullykin, nuke the Ogre mage and Lendarn, then leave the way you came. The only reason to clear the ruins is if you really want to stock up on fire arrows. The Ulcaster easter egg with the knight's armor isn't worth doing for the cursed vampiric longsword.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Plus, you can sell wands and buy them back with full charges. Doom + Greater Malaise (in later levels) + wand of paralyzation and say goodnight, Gracie.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Suspicious posted:

The guy chain casts power word: kill like it's a minor cantrip. I'm pretty sure he has a simple solution for poop and the smell thereof.

If a space wizard can do it, so can he.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

sebzilla posted:

If you can teleport everywhere, why even have regular doors? Good luck escaping from my hermetically sealed underground box, Bhaalspawn!

Time to make the long journey home...

//casts Imprisonment on self

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Isn't there a helmet that prevents morale break? Might have been introduced in the EE version.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Sean posted:

God the low hp of a single class mage is just crushing me. My second wild mage died in about 1 second on a hobgoblin ambush, even though he drank a potion of invisibility near the end of that 1 second.

Level 4 with 19 hp and 3 AC. I believe he was targeted by ~4 hobgoblins with longbows.

No helmet makes it even worse.

Why were any of those hobgoblins awake?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
IGN has a little fluff piece on the history of Baldur's Gate and Fallout today.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2016/11/30/how-fallout-and-baldurs-gate-changed-rpgs-forever-ign-game-changers

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
The only romance mod you need is the Imoen romance.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Entropy238 posted:

What exactly is so bad about the Imoen romance mod?

The fact that it's incest?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

http://planescape.com/ Planescape EE imminent.

Cool, I sure hope so considering I've played through BG-BG2 once every year or two since it came out but I've never played Planescape.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hey Kirk, FYI the Mac .pkg installer does some weird poo poo on El Capitan 11.6. Near the end of the package installation it opens a Finder window with no dialog or obvious reason why. It's actually asking you for the installation directory, which you have to navigate to manually and click "Choose" to finish the installation. If you cancel out of it, the installer reports an error.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

The Ninth Layer posted:

Is there any way to set auto-run in PS:TEE? Holding shift to move is a bit inconvenient and doesn't seem to work all that well in combat where it's nearly essential to catch some fleeing enemies. Plus I have caught myself opening up the Steam popup by pressing Tab to scout items while Shift-clicking to move around.

It's in game options, there's an "always run" button. There's also a "Max HP on level up" of you don't like reloading.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hey Kirk, are you still taking bug reports on Torment? Drusilla disappears after freeing Ignus. You can still see her floating text above where she should be in the bar, but her sprite is missing. A quick google shows this is a bug from the original release.

Great work, btw. Thoroughly enjoying my very first playthrough, which is crazy considering how much I play BG & BG2.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

How do people in the thread like Temple of Elemental Evil? It seems like a turn based version of Icewind Dale 2 and has a charm about it. I've only done the tutorial and a bit of questing in Hommlet so far though.

Buggy, but fun.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
The only reason not to Inquisitor is that arguably the most OP recruitable NPC in BG2 is an Inquisitor and there's not much point in having two of them if you're running a good alignment party.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

But also, clearly, no one has bothered to check to see if they did, because the only interesting thing is a conversation with a spider-lady that might be a reference to Jon Irenicus.

IIRC this doesn't have to be a charmed conversation, I think she initiates dialog when you enter the lair. If you're nice to her you can ask a question, the only correct one being "why are you so fat?"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Deltasquid posted:

I bought BG2:EE ages ago but never played it. Never played BG2, as a matter of fact. So I decided to try it out.

I'm currently early on in Chapter II and need to amass cash. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options I have. I got my rear end trounced by the unseeing eye quest, with the beholders and poo poo, when I tried it out on release. I suppose Keldorn isn't meant to be an initial party member, then?

I currently have my protagonist (half-elf ranger/cleric), Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo and Anomen. I feel like I need to pick up a spellcaster but I'm not sure who or where. Neera?

Basically, any pointers along the lines of "these are some good quests to get you started out" would help me.

I usually wait until later levels to do the unseeing eye quest. Once you have enough cash you can buy a shield from a vendor that makes beholders a cake walk.

I would pick up Nalia from the Copper Coronet. She will work fine as your spellcaster if you don't want the hassle of reloading every time Neera hits a bad wild surge, she will probably be a hand full for a first timer. Nalia's quest is also built for starting level characters. Go free her lands from invaders for some decent gear and a few levels.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Except iirc the next time you enter Firekraaag's cavern he attacks on sight. It's much easier tactically to buff and prepare after he lets you go so you can get the first shots in.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 23, 2017

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zeris posted:

I played through TOB for the first time ever, after having done a few BG2 iterations over the years. I have to say, the writing is pretty bad, and the fights are reasonably fun, but the repetition got old quick. Every fight was spending 5 minutes buffing my party, charge in, chug potions while mages take down the other side's buffs / protection from magical weapons, then let my fighters spam greater whirlwind until everything explodes. Also the plot was nonexistent, but that was sort of the premise, right?

Anyway, I just got back into Pillars of Eternity and that's a huge joy to play through.

IIRC, TOB was initially supposed to be BG3 but ended up being greatly reduced in scope and released as a BG2 expansion.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just explore every area and do every side quest before you hit the mines at level 4/5 lol

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Totally stand alone with the exception of a non playable character showing up as a playable NPC in the main games.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Ohh. That rings a bell, I think I actually figured out how Speed works during my last playthrough of Baldur's Gate, but I completely forgot about it.

Thanks, I'm equipping him with the bastard sword. As for 1d8 versus 2d4 - I suppose it boils down to the same thing, except I'm less likely to get extreme results with 2d4 because there are two dice rolls instead of just one?

I believe 2d4 is actually better than 1d8 because you add the dice together so it's impossible to roll for less than 2.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lambs posted:

That's only the generic +3 version.
Unrelated, any idea why they didnt reuse IWD spell effects for fire/acid etc on hit in BG2? They look so much better.

I think the G3 tweak pack used to have a "use Icewind Dale spell effects" option, but no idea if it works with EE

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
For some reason, many PoE fans get unreasonably upset if you say you didn't like the game. It felt like a slog, the U.I. wasn't great, the ruleset was unnecessarily obscure, and the storyline (particularly the lore) seemed overly complicated for what should be a newcomer's introduction to the setting.

I don't feel the need to play through Wasteland 2 ever again, but I enjoyed it an order of magnitude more than PoE.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wildtortilla posted:

I have sleep on Imoen but haven't had a cause to use it yet. I've been using her to cast horror and Dynaheir to cast damaging spells. I love horror because I can cast it over my melee fighters and it doesn't affect them. I have haste but haven't used it yet. I use bless + chant for challenging fights.

Sleep does the same thing, except instead of making enemies run all over they screen it makes them fall down in place and lay there while you bash their heads in. Doesn't friendlies, but doesn't work on enemies over a certain level.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Maybe but not any time soon, I think. Too difficult to rewrite the current EE engine to use the 3.5 ruleset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vichan posted:

Going through the entire Baldur's Gate saga as a female character for the first time but the thought of romancing Anomen makes me queasy. Are there any worthwhile NPC mods with a romance option for female characters?

G3 Tweak Pack has an option to remove restrictions on romances if you want to romance one of the vanilla NPCs.