Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mzbundifund posted:

You'll probably want to savescum if you're not familiar with the combat and fights yet. It's a 90s game and expects that. Just don't savescum by doing the same thing and hoping to get better rolls, 99% of the time if something goes wrong in a fight it's not because you got unlucky rolls, it's because you didn't make the right tactical decisions. Instead reload and try new spells/items/tactics.

Unless it's pickpocketing. Always savescum pickpocketing. Although in BG2 you'll find/purchase enough potions of master thievery that you won't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Dehumanize yourself and face to CTRL+8

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Throw your own wall of poo poo back in the form of fireballs, potions of explosions, and creature summons.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ratios and Tendency posted:

2 - the cloak of the sewers from a rakshasa hiding in the Temple sewers gives you access to 1/day troll form which comes with a quick acting regen, good for a 1/day full heal for your main warrior.

Use it to turn CHARNAME into a mustard jelly before completing the Trademeet quest with the mayor for some extra fun.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
See also one of the earliest nerfs: The Stupifier. Originally 25% chance of stun for 1d4 rounds with NO SAVE lol.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rappaport posted:

The original Stupefier is amazing, and I am upset it isn't in BG2 :( There are good maces in 2 available, but you get most of 'em a little late, at least if you do the stronghold quests in chapter 2. And what is up with the mace you get from the Unseeing Eye quest? Who is this for? You have to kill a bunch of gauths and beholders to get it!

As friend Chaosapiant noted, the real answer to those loving Cthulhu-spawn wannabes are Mordenkainen's swords. Lots and lots of Mordenkainen's swords. (Also spam death spell in the general vicinity to destroy their umber hulk friends!)

IIRC cloud kill also kills umber hulks with no save. Extra experience in the De'Arnise keep if you enjoy killing the keep dogs, boiling them up and mashing them into a stew.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's a tweak pack option to give everyone 4 slots.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

Is there a mod that removes race/class restrictions or is that a hardcoded thing in the game? I downloaded a portrait pack and there aren't any good human portraits so I wanted to make a half elf paladin (yes I know, it's just a cosmetic thing!).

Yes, you can mod that and more with EE Tweaks

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I believe you can, I've done it. The only mods I use is the tweak pack and I don't think it's part of that mod. You have to be 100% nice and pure in the dialog options, horny is forbidden, and IIRC bring her the belladonna flower she asks for before you finish the ship.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo, sorry I meant you can keep Delainy/Durlyle alive. I mixed them up with Kaishas Gan. And I misunderstood, you can't keep the whole village alive, just a select number of NPCs depending on who you've helped before you finish the ship.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Torquemada posted:

Is it actually worth making Crom Faeyr? Korgan has grandmaster axes, and no one else in
my party can get more than 1 pip in hammers. I’m not sure how many points more I get for Korgan, can he grandmaster two weapons?

Crom Faeyr is best held as an offhand weapon for the 25 STR if you don't have anyone with hammer specialization.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fighting Trousers posted:

I used to play the hell out of BG I and II years ago, and modded the hell out of it too. In a recent fit of nostalgia, I picked up the EE versions, and now I'm wondering, what mods are out there for EE, and where are they these days?

The tweaks anthology is probably the first thing you want ro check out. It replaces all the Infinity Engine game tweak packs from Gibberings 3 (make sure to check out the readme for descriptions). Beyond that, others will be able to give you a better idea of mods. Aside from quality of life fixes from the tweak pack, I don't run the game with mods.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Then why can't you dual wield with a small shield or buckler?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
To be fair, she does harden up and call you an absolute bastard if you knock her up in TOB and then kick her out of the party when the baby is born.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jimbot posted:

Laffo, no wonder defensive spin doesn't work for me. Ring of Free Action just makes it not pop off at all. What a stupid design oversight.

That makes sense since Free Action also blocks haste.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can only say that as someone with a LOT of experience with O.G. and EE BG1 & BG2 that the second Black Pits module had a steep combat learning curve for me. Which was great for someone who has played a ton of BG2, but not sure if it wout be a great way to introduce BG2 combat to someone.

But what do I know, I save scum.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thinking more about it, the main difference for me was that the game story mode combat relies on a lot of prebuffing before major encounters, while you don't really have an opportunity to prebuff in Black Pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ok yea BP1 was a lot more manageable but IIRC you still miss out on the prebuffing.