Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
See, that never made complete sense to me. Since both the Shadow Thieves and Bodhi are undoubtedly evil organizations, there's an argument that siding with Bodhi (being the newer gang with less influence) would introduce enough chaos into the underworld that it would permanently weaken the criminal presence in Amn. If you get the thief stronghold (being an outpost for the Shadow Thieves) you have options of making money off theft, slavery and assassination, so I don't know exactly why they are considered "less evil."

Plus if you side with Bodhi, you eventually kill her anyways, so that's 2 criminal empires you've disrupted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cantorsdust posted:

This is pretty much all I needed to hear. Keldorn's great, and I would hate to lose him.
You don't have to drop Keldorn from the party, I believe, you can just park him at the entrance to the grave and go talk to Bodhi.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

You are effectively surrendering the city to a horde of unholy monsters that need to feed on humans just to survive. The Shadow Thieves are criminals, but at least they aren't evil by nature. And they aren't as much a threat as vampires to normal humans.

As for the "you turn on the vampires" argument, that requires metagame knowledge and only really comes about when Bodhi betrays you. And one could argue that since the PC quickly moves on out of Amn after killing Bodhi, any surviving vampires might be able to regain their rule over the underworld with the Shadow Thieves destroyed.

I don't have a huge issue with it, and it does fit the whole DnD "Some creatures are just eeeevil" thing. I just don't see exactly how sucking blood is inherently more evil than being a murder or pimp. Don't get me wrong, Bodhi's loving evil, and the destroy them both thing I think works best as a nice surprise rather than playing with metagame knowledge. And I don't get why Keldorn is totally cool with working for the Shadow Thieves, but quits if you side with Bodhi, especially since all her tasks are loving up the Shadow Thieves, who are a bunch of murderers and slavers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LibbyM posted:

Is it normal/okay to be going into the Nashkel mines with my party all being level 1 except jaheira? It's been a while since I really played bg1.
Nah, you want to be Level 2. Talk to the mayor of Nashkel (or whoever to start the quest, it's been a while since I played) and that will stop the timer on Khalid and Jaheira, then do some sidequests. I think, even with a full party, doing most of the stuff around Friendly Arms inn and the fairgrounds should get you most of the way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

This is a game with absolute Good and Evil. It has demons and angels in it after all. I don't see anything wrong with ambulatory corpses that feed on the living being inherently evil. In D&D, just as vampirism give a person fangs, it also twists his mindset into that of a bloodthirsty monster.

As for Keldorn, he outright says that he's barely holding back from attacking them and only does so because of Imoen. He also says that he wants to come back to the Shadow Thief HQ with a bunch of paladins after Imoen is rescued and clear house.

That makes a little more sense, it'd been a while since I played and my last time didn't use Keldorn. They should have fixed the bug where you can't kill Aran Linvall in Chapter 6 (maybe they did, I've never tried it, but I've seen people complain about it in this thread) in that case, since one of your party members suggests it. Hell that'd be a cool little minquest on your return.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In general, my issue with it isn't so much that Bodhi isn't as evil as people say, because she's almost literally the devil, I just don't think the Shadow Thieves are any better.

I guess it works in a "Devil you know" sense, but still, a truly good person wouldn't work with either of them, and someone more morally flexible wouldn't see that much of a difference.

Edit: ^^^Also this^^^

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

Aran seemed pretty reasonable to me.
For a murderous, slave owning pimp

Factor_VIII posted:

In the process of course the truly good person would be leaving Imoen to rot in Spellhold forever.
Theoretically, a branching RPG should have an option for someone who is role playing someone who doesn't want to work with a murderous, slave owning pimp, or a vampire, murderous, slave owning pimp

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Help, how are you supposed to beat Mind Flayers? Every single one of my characters die instantly. I'm just past Spellhold and I got 2 forced encounters with them there and I beat the first one by placing summoned creatures outside the door and then blasting it with spells while it was busy. The second one I got by a hasted Anomen and Slay Living, I reloaded until it hit and killed it in the first hit. Is there really no spell that protects against the brain devour thing?

Their brain thing drains 5 intelligence each time, so make sure you're using a character with at least 11 intelligence so they can survive 2 hits. Then I usually either use Korgan in berserk mode or someone with Chaotic Commands to to just wail on them. Restoration should restore any drained int.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kingcom posted:

Theres only so many mindflayer fights one man can take. Again, I will learn if there was a way to teach me but guides don't seem to come with too many specifics on 'if your in this situation you can deal with them like this.' I'm not the best at learning through through written text anyway to be honest, so loads of trial and error is generally the way for me.

Dan Simpson 's guide on gamefaqs has tips for many different types of enemies, specifically the ones with special attacks and defenses, like Golems, Mind Flayers and Dragons

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I never use the A.I. It does get slightly tedious at points, but it was never that bad. Dragon Age has much, much better scripting for NPCs and there's a reason I keep coming back to BG.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Iggles posted:

Does anyone know for sure how spells that have a level-based duration work with dual classed characters? I was thinking about a Cleric of Lathandar dualled to Fighter at level 6, which lets you get to level 8 in BG and wondered how long Boon of Lathandar would last for as it's meant to be 6 seconds/round according to the kit description, though I know that's not always accurate.

I'm pretty sure it just counts the levels of whichever class is casting the spell. So level 8 in this example.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They get 2 free proficiency points in 2 weapon fighting and have a handful of druid spells along with stealth and some other special abilities. I'm not positive, but I think an unkitted ranger doesn't have any armor restrictions. They do have a lot of abilities that work much better in PnP rather than in I.E.

Funnily enough, before the Arche kit was introduced, a fighter would almost always be a better archer than a ranger, because of Grand Mastery and leveling a little faster for improved Thac0.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zephro posted:

Hm. Why so many thieves? You can surely get by with just the one?

I've never used it, but IWD includes a weird variation of Backstab rules that includes 3E sneak attack rules, so it might give a damage boost.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but what are some good quests in BG2 for a first-timer to do early on? On a whim tonight I fired up the game I started, dicked around in Akthala a bit, and then didn't touch for a year or two and for whatever reason just playing for a few minutes made me want to dip back in more deeply, but I'm pretty slow to figure out what to do in battle so I need good quests to practice that. Cavalier NPC, chapter 2, and I've done only a couple quests in Akthala (Circus Tent, slave ring under the inn, Unseeing Eye cult are all I remember doing). I seem to remember being told once that de'Arnise Keep is a good one to do early? What other quests fit that billing?

De'Arnise Keep is good, Unseeing Eye (the first thing you run into in the temple district) isn't too hard, though there's one fight in the sewers that can be hard, if it's too much you can go the long way around them. Trademeet isn't bad, if you have issues with the final fight ask here and we can tell you how to cheat, but make sure you have a druid and they're fully rested with a good spell selection. Umar hills isn't too bad as long as you've got a cleric and you get Mazzy, who can be a fun little archer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've played and beaten every Infinity Engine game multiple times. I still play time to time for nostalgia. I suspect the answer is no, but are there any actually good content mods for the games?

Neverwinter Nights spawned wonderful community created content, but it was designed to. Are the Infinity Engine games doomed to creepy crap?

Unfinished Business isn't bad, and not all the NPC mods are creepy. If you just want to mix it up, stuff like Divine Remix, Spell Revisions, and Item Randomization make it feel like a different game, even if the story stuff is identical.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

As someone who just jumped into BG1, that multi-class and dual-class bit threw me as well. Honestly, a lot of this poo poo seems incredibly arbitrary (why can't rangers be evil? why can't Mondaron as a fighter/thief use bows, but my pure fighter PC and pure thief Imoen can? why is Khalid so terrible?) but I'm having fun all the same. I played pure vanilla BG1 for a few hours, then out of curiosity checked out BGTuTu, and holy poo poo why did I waste my time playing the other way. I mean, just the slightly faster movement speed and larger screen enhance gameplay so goddamn much.

Anyway, since I'm still fiddling around in what I presume is the early game, I have some questions:

1)Am I just missing an enormous amount of sidequests or does leveling take a long loving time? Jaheira popped like ten minutes after I found her, and my PC (again, just a standard human fighter) literally didn't hit Level 2 until I killed the final guy in the Nashkel mines.

2)I got what I considered lucky and five minutes in on my re-rolls I was able to get 18 in every stat but Wisdom, which I dropped all the way to 3. Are there 'safe' dump stats that you can basically make crippling low or will this gently caress me later? This seems like the kind of game that will arbitrarily gently caress me later.

3)Seriously, is Khalid just lovely or am I using him wrong? He's died more than any other character at this point. A goddamn kobold one-shot him!

4)On a similar note, everyone talks up Minsc is being a powerhouse baller but he's died almost as much as Khalid, and I put my best stuff on him. Is this just a case of low-level D&D coming down to one-shot criticals or am I missing some key elements?

5)Why do I keep getting spells and equipment that give me free infravision? I have two party members that literally just have it and it's not terribly interesting. Is there some hidden benefit to infravision other than 'guys glow in the dark' that I'm missing?

6)You seriously have to savescum to get a good level-up? I didn't even notice at first, but when I died and reloaded my PC hit 26 HP instead of 19 HP. This isn't even a question, just, what the gently caress, Gygax?

7)Since I'm tinkering around with BGTuTu anyway and playing a straight fighter is vaguely dull, is it worth it to start over and go paladin or ranger? I'm a little intimidated by being a mage because I don't understand half the 2e rules and don't know which spells are garbage, but even places where I'd think they'd have a guide laying out the pros/cons of each class just say stuff like 'play as a basic human fighter trust me' or 'go half-elf fighter/mage everything else is garbage' etc etc. Help a brother out here, guys who have soloed this game several times!

Montaron should be able to use a short bow at least, as for the rest

1) Levelling takes awhile, especially at first, you top out between level 7 and 9 depending on class and version of game.
2) I don't think having a 3 wisdom is going to hurt you in BG1 as a fighter at least
3) Khalid is pretty lovely
4) Minsc is better, but not by a ton. Make sure everyone has helmets though
5) Nope, I don't know why they even implemented infravision other than "because it's in the pen and paper game" turn on group infravision, you'll probably have someone with it in your party most of the time, and even if you don't it's not a big deal, sell all that poo poo unless it has another benefit you need.
6) Turn the difficulty down to normal, I'm pretty sure the only differences at normal you get full HP at level-up and 100% chance to learn spells. Core is for when randomly having a harder time makes the game more fun.
7) If you don't mind starting over and you want to stick with a more straightforward fighter type, go with Inquisitor (Paladin subclass). It has a handful of special abilities that a) make the game easier, and b) gives you a couple other things to do. Berserker (Fighter subclass) and Barbarian are also decent fighter types. Archer (Ranger subclass) is an amazing long range fighter, and long range rules in BG1 so that's another possibility.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

One of the 3rd edition developers said that level limits existed in 2E to compensate for special abilities the other races got (e.g. the 90% resistance to charm for elves) that humans didn't. And the level caps were too low to explain possible level 100+ characters. Elven wizards could only go up to level 11, which translates to level 6 spells. So much for ancient elven mages creating wondrous magical effects; they couldn't even cast Delayed Blast Fireball. Good thing BG2 didn't keep the level limits from 2E, otherwise elven wizards for example would have hit an XP cap almost at the start of the game.

I played a small amount of AD&D pen and paper when I was a kid (never for more than a couple months at a time) but even then level limits didn't make sense to me, because at a certain point your character would never be able to do anything new beyond any loot they got. Not to turn this into an edition war, but something I thought 3rd edition did very well was balance out races.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dragonrah posted:

I forgot about that. I'm dumb. Ok, I can get rid of Jan, I just need to remove my armor each time....that sounds annoying....hmmmm

Kill the Shadow Dragon, that's pretty boss armor and should work. Are you evil? there's another pretty baller armor for evil thieves (evil anyone, but it counts as leather so it's great for thieves).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 24, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I have been playing BGIIEE that I acquired via steam. Has anyone been playing that and if so, have you encountered an issue with your characters gaining new hitpoints when leveling? I made a fighter and made sure I had 18 Constitution; I just hit level 9 and it is only granting me 3 hitpoints even though my minimum should be 5 (+4 from CON plus a die roll of 1).

At level 10 you stop rolling for hitpoints and I believe stop getting a Con bonus. Instead you get a flat rate: 3 for warriors and barbarians, 1 for mages and sorcerers and 2 for everyone else

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

tirinal posted:

Maybe, but that description appears to have been written for something other than what it was attached to.

Studded leather armor ingame, both icons and rendered, literally is just leather with periodic metal studs. This is also borne out in the mechanics (bards can cast spells in studded leather but not non-elven mail).

A lot of D&D is just dumb in general. Druids can't use metal swords but can use scimitars because ~reasons~*.

*Reasons: Gary Gygax has said that scimitars look kinda like sickles, if you tilt your head a certain angle.

Bards can't cast in any kind of armor, including basic leather (aside from Elven Chain), unless you're using one of those spell failure mods; in which case they can cast in anything, but the heavier the armor the greater the chance of spell failure.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Catastrophics posted:

So, how likely are wild mages to kill themselves and their party? I'm considering starting an ironman run with run in Baldur's Gate but it seems like a terrible idea, especially as I've never used one before.

It'll be interesting. Wild Mages are a more likely to self-destruct at lower levels, because I think it adds your level to the wild surge roll, and the lower rolls tend to be worse.

It shouldn't be too much worse than a normal mage run unless you spend a lot of time casting Nahal's Reckless Dweomer. You'll only get a wild surge about 1 in 20 times and about half the surges are either not that bad, or helpful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gaan kak posted:

So B->D (@ 9) or B->C (@ 9)? Obviously the Druid misses out on the sweet self-buffs that make a Cleric multi- or dual- so potent, but they gain the fun druid abilities (Ironskins, BEES, etc.)

Also Nature's Beauty, and you have all of the Cleric HLA's, and a couple unique ones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Iggles posted:

I agree with the aims of the mod but these two feel excessive. Why would Evil Trademeet be so much more beneficial than Good now? Also, I think it's fair that Bodhi gives you less experience as you get better items doing her path - and of course she's winning so you're picking the easier path.

Well, you don't get the XP from killing Faldorn, so that might even it up some.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

Will Freedom work on someone that the spell cant target, though? Though you just cast it in an area, dont you? I would have had to console it in because I was in the Planar Sphere, but I will keep that in mind for the future if it (apparently?) bugs out again.

Yeah, it targets the map, if you it didn't work on people you can't target it wouldn't work at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I'm playing through the base BG2EE right now and I have a belt of 21 STR and -1 AC Red Dragonscale armor, so all of that does not seem too far fetched. Though I guess if you have enough OP equipment for the whole party I could understand that. I'm a bit of a powergamer (even when trying to play casually) and my party doesnt have all the best people but I am getting ready to kill Bodhi and my party is pretty nuts because of all of the awesome equipment I have found/built. Not much has been giving me trouble, except the above.

As was mentioned, he was talking about BG1, the base game features exactly 2 pieces of ac0 armor, nothing that grants extra attacks, and (I think) no strength enhancing equipment beyond scrolls for the spell Strength"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I was almost positive even Keldorn (wielding the Carsomyr) was saying "My weapon is ineffective" too, but I'll have to try again. Is there anything I can do about the Demi-Lich chain casting Imprisonment? The Spell doesnt have a save to let you resist.
Spell Immunity: (Whichever school Imprisonment is in) should do the trick, if you don't want to completely cheese it with Scroll of Protection: Undead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I had no idea you could upgrade it :downs:

It involves screwing over a church.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Corvinus posted:

I haven't tried it, but supposedly one can do the quest and once Sarles gets the illithium, "accidentally" Gate in a demon, let it kill everyone inside the house and then take the illithium off his corpse.

How is this more moral than just giving him counterfeit illithium?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Not quite right there, there's also: Big fisted belt, Cursed belt of hill giant strength (sets strength to 19 but int to 6) - Cloudpeaks temple (part of Rasaads quest) inside a locked chest in acolytes quarters. That is worthwhile on any pure melee. I give to Kagain usually.

I don't have the EE version, which I understand is what he was talking about originally, but even still, that just makes a character a Half-Orc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Odd. The first time I played I had an 18 Charisma Fighter ( don't ask ), and he barely ever broke morale. The last two times I've played I put Jaheria in charge, and again, barely any issues.

I'll admit I never beat BG1, but I played quite a bit and Khalid is literally the only NPC I've had panic on his own without some kind of fear spell cast by an enemy, And I'm pretty sure one of the times was when I was playing a Paladin with a minimum 17 charisma. Khalid panicking happened with multiple characters over multiple installs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

verybad posted:

Oh god the SCS bandit camp is disgusting. My "tank with Xan" tactic did not work as well as intended, as even one attack getting through mirror images had a decent chance of killing him on the spot. I really should've gotten level 5 on him, then I could've used Vampiric Touch to boost his HP and he wouldnt've been affected by sleep, either (I'm beginning to suspect that the elven sleep resistance was never implemented in these games...)
It wasn't, but I think either the fix pack or the tweak pack fixes it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Thanks for the info, lads and ladies. Long-term I am planning to play through the whole base game saving the expansions to the end, then start over with the same group on Heart of Fury mode - I'd really like to see my group at max level, but I am not stupid enough to try that starting at level 1.

I'm still trying to decide on party structure. I've put together a bunch of ideas but every way I slice it I end up wishing I could have a 7th character. Let me ask what may well be a stupid question: I know that druid/thief is not a viable multiclass combination for any race (only druid MC I know of is Jaheira's fighter/druid, half-elf onlY), but is it possible as a dual-class? I could see a human going to level 7 or 8 as a thief and then dualing to a druid as being a very effective and useful combination, being that thieves and low/mid-level druids level up very fast and there is armour synergy between the two. If that's not possible, then I don't know what I'm going to do party-wise.

You can't dual from thief to druid. If there's no valid multiclass, you can't dual class it either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bunnielab posted:

I used the almost the same party to kill him in BG1 where I had to try like two dozen times to get the fucker. Steamrolling over him this time was pretty loving cool and I was a little embarrassed how excited it made me. I actually yelled something like "what now, bitch!", very glad I was home alone.

Question; Are gated pit fiends supposed to go after my other summons?

I think pit fiends go after everything that isn't rocking Protection From Evil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

If you just go through the game normally, at about what level will most non-dual or non-multi-classed characters beat the game? Also, how far apart in power will two characters of the same class be if one does all the sidequests he comes across and the other does none?

Depending on how thorough you are, you'll probably be close to 3 million XP by the time you get to the end of SoA, maybe a little extra.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I like using Shadow Keeper to just make Mazzy a Paladin because really she deserves to be!

It also gets me get a warm fuzzy by letting Keldorn go home early, since I've got someone else to tote Carsomyr.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/level1npcs/

You don't need Shadowkeeper anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I forgot about UAI - even better. I thought that bards could use wizard spells up to level 8 in BGII at very high levels umodded, but perhaps not given what the earlier poster said.

My comments about Lore and PP were based on having just done BG1 and being lower level where it makes more of an impact. It goes without saying that in BG2/ToB at very high levels bards can identify the last shoe any random pebble was in and pinch the wings off of a fly without being noticed. Keep in mind that, barring some serious grinding/editing, bards and pure rogues are just about the only single-class character that is going to hit level 40, or near as drat it, by the end of ToB.

Mind you, I generally have one pure arcane caster and Jan in my ToB runs, so my bard's casting abilities are not a huge concern. Even at the end of BG1 with just one arcane caster, I tended to forget that my bard even had spells. Admittedly somewhat unforgivable as he had Mirror Image, Haste, Blur, and a bunch of other good ones.

One of the options in the tweak pack alters the spell progression table so Bards can access 7th and 8th level spells. Though you won't get 8th level spells until level 29

There's always Vhailor's helm though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anybody play through bgee on an Iphone or similar sized Android phone? I'm thinking about getting it for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and I'm just wondering if it's playable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Comstar posted:

I think this is the 8th or 9th time I've tried to finish all of BG I+II. I'm running a F/T/M for the first time, but I've always got burned out fighting mages in BG II around the end of chapter 2. This time I'd like to take some of other lesser used NPC's, What's a workable party using the lesser used NPCs, or what party would be good to handle annoying mages? I plan on using CHARNAME as a invisible backstabber a lot.

Cernd has Insect Swarm (or as I refer to it "Oh God, not the bees") which shuts mages down. He's a shapeshifter, which is broken (as in doesn't work right and his severly underpowered) but there's a mod that "fixes" it, but that also makes it broken (as in massively overpowered). You might use a different mod that turns him into a totemic druid instead.

Anomen is a pretty good frontline fighter, especially when he starts getting high level spells, and turn undead high enough to just explode low level beasties. If you do all the side quests I'm pretty sure he'll be exploding vampires by the time they become a common enemy.

Valgyr can also backstab, so if you've got enough invisibility to go around that could be fun, if a little micro intensive.

If youre dealing with a ton of rear end in a top hat mages in chapter 2, make sure you aren't casting mage spells outside in Athkatla until you get permission to do so.

Also, you can only backstab with thief weapons, and as a fighter thief you can use non thief wrapons, so be sure to check a list of those.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

They didn't fix the Cernd thing in EE? I never use him so I wouldn't know.

Dont know either, I haven't played EE, it's not a huge deal, since the default druid shapes aren't of much use after the first couple of levels in bg2 anyways, so he really isn't any worse than a generic druid for the majority of the game, since that's the only difference.

If you're comfortable using a charcter editor or the level1npc mod, I'd say just turn him into an avenger, they get some cool mage spells and shape shifting that is actually useful for a larger portion of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zedprime posted:

Base game Shadows of Amn, the hardest part about mages is Improved Invisibility so some source of see invisible is the key. Best NPC for this is Keldorn since he casts his True Seeing innate at twice his level. Second best is Haer Dalis once he gets high enough to cast True Sight since bard spell caster levels make their removal spells super awesome, if a little late coming. Once Improved Invisiblity is gone, any npc spellcaster can cast breach to remove any spells that will prevent you from doing damage to the enemy mage.

TOB gets slightly more ridiculous with spell protections that you need to take care of in addition to Improved Invisibility to make vulnerable to breach. The overkill method is to make an npc mages first level 9 spell Spellstrike. The alternative is tactical applications of True Sight and Khelben's Warding Whip/Ruby Ray of Reversal to make them vulnerable to breach.

You're thinking of dispel magic, but your reasoning is the same, Keldorn xasts it at double level, and bards sill cast it at a higher level than mages with the same xp.