Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Where the gently caress is my Birthright Infinity Engine game, Beamdog????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I started an EE run again, and as much as I absolutely love BG1/2's plot and setting, ugh, I really can't stomach AD&D any more after PoE. Really wish those "remake BG1/2 in PoE" mods had actually gotten somewhere. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

How are AoE and positioning handled on the tabletop? I imagine quite a bit must be up to the GM.

You have a map and you place tokens/minis on it for the PCs and monsters, and you measure ranges to stuff.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

To answer the question: Yes, when using 2e or 5e's system, it turns out trying to combine abstract movement and distances with exact measurements doesn't work out too well, and it largely ends up being "the GM will tell you" which doesn't always work out.

It turns out "the GM will tell you" always works out to "any distance is roughly within spell range, but definitely outside of melee range" in practice, too. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am guessing it's because he has a beard and head of hair. Thayans consider hair to be very unappealing to look at. (Having a bald head is also required for them to get their head tattoo's)

I am pretty sure he has the beard and hair because he's an outcast and stopped shaving it, and not the other way around. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chaltab posted:

That's... really poor game design given how low starting HP is for everyone. Is there a mod that lets you make death saving throws when reduced to 0 like in the actual tabletop game?

AD&D is not 4E, and getting a saving throw at 0HP is not a thing in AD&D, so no.

Fortunately, it's a video game, so just save before fights and reload if your guys die.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 25, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't see how they're baiting anything. AD&D is badly-put-together garbage and most people know that, but it's often shocking when people come from better systems and expect it to not be poo poo.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 25, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Harlock posted:

Has anyone tried to mod 3/3.5e rules into BG or BG2? I know ID2 uses it. Could you run the BG2 maps and everything on its engine?

It would be a better use of everyone's time to just mod the BG1/2 campaigns into PoE, and thus end up with a system that isn't pure, unadulterated garbage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Im assuming stats cap at 25 because I believe Rage and Potion of Cloud Giant Strength should've put me at 26.

Which makes sense I suppose otherwise "Unleash Holy Strength" would be a instant I Win button at high levels.

Stats cap at 25, and also items generally set your stats to specific values, they don't add to them. Cloud Giant Strength will set your Strength to 23.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Page 10: https://cdn.baldursgate.com/files/baldurs-gate-mastering-melee-magic.pdf

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jng2058 posted:

So has anyone else got this thing where Neera's been turned into an endlessly rotating ball of flesh that can't be interacted with in Siege of Dragonspear?

:stare:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kavak posted:

The Infinity Engine has come very close to turning me into a 2nd Edition grognard with how much more fun Warriors are in it.

AD&D2 is generally pretty so-so for non-casters. If you want to have some real fun with warriors, go play Rules Cyclopedia Basic D&D. It's the second best edition of D&D!

Mordaedil posted:

I have no clue about 5th edition.

Don't worry, neither did the designers. All they knew is that change was icky and putting thought into design was evil. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Why oh why does Beamdog insist on continuing to use the infinity engine rather than going for something less arcane to work with...

Because it would cost them an incredible amount of money to port the games to a new engine. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Eberron is a mashup of late 19th century westerns, early 20th century warfare, 1920s/30s economics (including corporations), Cold War era paranoia/spy games, and cyberpunk-esque megacorporations. Unlike other D&D settings, it's specifically designed to have a lot of noir sensibilities.

It's the best D&D setting.

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't think the exact term Interbellum is used in Europe

It is, in the UK anyway. Everyone also has their own term that more or less translates to "between the two wars."

Woolie Wool posted:

"-bellum?" That's an American history term.

:rolleyes:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 29, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
drat, that's nice. Looks way better than the horrid original UI at reasonable resolutions, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yes, you have to buy/find magical arrows individually, and some of them have exist in a very limited amount throughout the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mortimer posted:

Fortunately/unfortunately a crpg thread would mean you could talk about Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny unless you just flat out state "games made before 2010 only"

"Don't talk about CRPGs that already have their own thread" is not some mystical rule no one has ever thought about before. :v:

Just make this the Retro CRPG Thread or whatever, so people can talk about Infinity Engine/NWN/Goldbox/etc. all in one thread.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Veib posted:

The Old School PC RPG Megathread already exists, and even has Arcanum right there in the OP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473537

Well, there you go, I'm an idiot. :downs:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just install the tweak that makes NPCs not leave when your reputation gets too high/low.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Apparently the Serpent in the Staglands/Copper Dreams people named their cats Branwen and Ajantis. :3:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Is Serpent in the Staglands good? It has great visuals but I've heard mixed things on gameplay.

It's good, but it's also very, very retro, to the point where it makes it a pain to play.

Copper Dreams looks like it's going to be significantly more accessible.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
99% of pixel art video games made these days have a much higher colour palette and resolution than anything made in the 2D era. It's not just ~imitating old games~, it's a legitimate art style in its own right.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Gilbert Bates is a son of a bitch and I'll probably kill him if I get a chance too.

I see you failed to do your duty and assassinate him in the name of orcish liberation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Druid levels represent getting promoted within the ranks of the druid super-organisation and you can only have a fixed number of druids of a certain rank, so eventually to level up you need to Druid Fight Club your way to the next rank.