Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Schiavona posted:

You really need to take your grocery receipts for a month and take a good look at them, because $400+ a month for two people is absurd unless you're eating filet mignon topped with foie gras and fig jam for every meal or you live in the rear end end of Alaska.

This is ridiculously hyperbolic. Two filet mignon per day(one per person) will cost probably at least $300 for a month. That's without lunch or breakfast taken into account, or any sides.

There's a large middle ground between fine dining and ramen noodles.

$400 per month for two people is not lavish at all and completely realistic so much as going out is highly limited.

Very rough but whatever:

Milk - $4
Eggs - $3
Fresh vegetables - $8
Fresh fruit - $8
Cereal - $4
Bread - $4
Lunchmeat - $5
Cheese - $5
A couple of cheap steaks or a package of chicken breasts - $4
Ground turkey - $4
Coffee/tea/what have you - $5
Box of pasta - $4
A few cans of beans/soup/whatever - $5

~$60-$70 there and looks pretty reasonable to me for a weekly grocery budget. Yes $100 a week is a little bit higher but it's not filet mignon with foie gras. If you think they can eat like that on $400 let me know where you live. I'm moving there.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

:psyduck:

You have serious money problems! You want to save 20k and eliminate debt in the next two years. You have ZERO money saved for retirement and you have less than 1k in the bank for if you lose your job or get injured. You don't need a loving limited edition of games, especially after you just bought a loving PS4 that you admit was a bad decision.

Jesus christ, play the games you have now, and if you still want a Wii U and a 3DS in a year, buy ONE of them in a year. You might not get the 80 dollar limited edition or whatever, but you'll probably get the same game for 20 bucks.

Do you really need a triforce pendant or lovely artbook you'll look at twice that badly?

If you drop 700-800 on those including accessories, tax, and just a few games, you're setting yourself way back. That money would more than double your emergency fund, which is perilously low.

I understand videogames are fun and all that, but we're talking about you saving for a house and trying to have an emergency fund and starting to save for retirement hopefully. This is the time to stop buying so many loving games.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 2, 2013

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

My personal opinion is at this point you shouldn't have to "fight" with yourself to not buy two more consoles. As said in the post above, behavior doesn't change overnight. If you're still having to fight not to buy more videogames, you need to think about it harder. I know you said you're not buying them, and that's great. Just make sure it's sustainable.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Hell, trucks present unique challenges in inclement weather. I've lived in the Great Lakes region my entire life, and when I had a pickup truck was when I was most prone to fishtailing on unpaved snow, due to the vehicle being frontheavy(because I never had a load like 99% of people with a truck, and I was too lazy to throw sandbags back there and then unload them in the spring).

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 4, 2013

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I personally think that's very reasonable and given your financial situation, very wise. Having two cars when it's not an absolute necessity is a big luxury. If in say five years you have an emergency fund, you're putting money away for retirement, and you've been in a house for awhile and are doing well on the mortgage...then maybe see if you can fit in a cheap second car for the sake of convenience.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Old Fart posted:

As someone soon to be in a similar situation, how would a middle aged dude with zero industry contacts and no training break into this, while being able to work from home? Is it even possible to compete with college grads?

I had some more stuff typed up here, but the short answer is while it might be hard to compete with college grads in terms of credentials, you could be attractive to the right company by being cheaper.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 3, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

From a link on CK about why they changed scores:

https://blog.creditkarma.com/credit-karma/credit-karma-is-transitioning-to-the-vantagescore-3-0-score-provided-by-transunion/

quote:

This week, Credit Karma began to slowly roll out a beta website redesign, including a new type of credit score: the VantageScore 3.0 score provided by TransUnion. We want you to know why we believe these changes will deliver more value.

Why the Changes?

Nearly one billion VantageScore credit scores were used last year by over 2,000 lenders and other industry participants, including six of the 10 largest banks, and the 3.0 model is designed to score more consumers and be more predictive than others. Credit Karma is continually working to improve our members’ experience, including bringing more transparency, completeness and efficiency when it comes to credit. Everything included in this redesign, as well as some exciting additions soon to come, will make Credit Karma more helpful than ever.

VantageScore Is a Joint Effort

The VantageScore scoring model is a joint effort by the three major credit bureaus, designed to bring more consistency among credit scores. VantageScore Solutions reports that the majority of financial institutions, including eight of the top ten credit card issuers, six of the top ten auto lenders and all of five of the top mortgage lenders, use VantageScore to evaluate borrower creditworthiness.

My Score Is Different than Before

Some Credit Karma members may see a change in their credit score due to this transition. There are hundreds of credit score models out there, and each one has a slightly different formula for analyzing the more than 200 different factors of your credit report. You never know what score a bank will use to evaluate your credit worthiness, however VantageScore 3.0 is a strong predictor for what the banks may see.

Sorry for the derail but looks like it is legitimate.

My score is 809 under this scheme :v:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

My bet is they get to use Vantage for a much smaller fee than FICO.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

When you've thrown around the ambiguous "medical debt" before I was definitely thinking the amounts were a lot bigger than this. This isn't much.

ed: nevermind, just saw the one on the second that doesn't show up on the first.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Knyteguy posted:

However opportunities to move up have been thrown out there.

Do not take anything where this is touted as a major pro and where you wouldn't take the job if it weren't. Every place says this. It's not always true.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

n8r posted:

50k in the bay area is worth what 25k where you are now?

I hate to play devil's advocate but this isn't strictly true if his pay is going up as well. Housing is much more expensive yes, and there are other things that are more expensive too, but there are some costs that will be the same or close regardless of area. You can probably kiss a 25k raise on her part goodbye, but a 30-40k raise by him would then probably be all gravy on top of that, especially if it's being spent on saving instead of consumerism (oh how I doubt this).

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 24, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Memphis has some really loving awesome parts (the waterfront area, Beale Street) and the rest of it is pretty scary in my limited experience.

edit: a quick google search seems to verify my experience. Great tourist town if you stay near the nice hotels, but it's #4 in violent crime in America. As with anywhere, I'm sure the suburbs are fine though.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 24, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Droo posted:

Yeah, I think that people who haven't been to Reno kind of picture it like they picture Las Vegas. Reno is seriously a shithole. I actually kind of like it because of how trashy and terrible it is, but it is not a nice town and it is nothing like Vegas.

Hey, it photographs pretty well in this one spot! :v: http://www.arcadiarecoverycenter.com/index.php/substance-abuse-alcohol-addiction-treatment-rehabilitation-ut/reno-nevada-addiction-recovery/

I've never been to Reno, but in that regard I imagine it's just a much smaller Vegas, because Vegas is mostly terrible too. The Strip is just really big.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Omne posted:

Memphis is fine, don't let the naysayers scare you off.

Statistics aren't naysaying.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Omne posted:

Downtown Memphis is the safest zip code in Shelby County. Those statistics are county-wide. Yes, if you go to North or South Memphis, you'll probably die. But live in the Core or South Main, you're fine. Chicago isn't the safest place in the world; you regularly read about 40+ people getting shot over a weekend there. So is all of Chicago bad? No, certain parts are. It's the same with Memphis. There are good parts and bad parts. If you avoid the bad parts, you're fine.

I live in Chicago, and I would say most of it is really bad. But there's only about 10% of it where people who aren't poor will work/live. The only reason they go outside of that 10% is for Sox, Bulls, or Blackhawks games.

Yeah there are good parts and bad parts everywhere, but Chicago and Memphis seem to have more bad parts than some other cities and their bad parts are worse. That is something to keep in mind when moving to an area, just because you'll have to be mindful where you end up at certain hours.

i.e., if you're on the red line after midnight in Chicago going south, you had better not fall asleep and miss your stop.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

FYI, it's my experience in IT/development that you always wear a suit and a tie to an interview and it looks bad if you don't. It's just about taking the interview very seriously, even though no one actually wears a suit and tie to the office.

Probably not always the case in every location, but that's my experience in the midwest.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Bonus income is not taxed at a higher rate. It is generally withheld at a higher rate because the payroll calculators essentially act as if you're making more money. It straightens out when you file for a refund.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Financial independence doesn't have to be hardcore frugality. MMM spends like 25k a year, and he owns his property outright. 2k+ spent per month is a very far cry from extreme frugality when you don't have a house payment or an HOA payment.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Holy poo poo, a credit card isn't an emergency fund, if it was I'd have a 2 year emergency fund from those and should invest this money I have in a worthless savings account.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

John Smith posted:

I disagree. Old Fart is being disrespectful and childish. If he rightfully feels that Knyteguy is beyond hope, then leave or just call him out directly. His current nonsense posts are nonsense.

I may disagree with you in that other thread, by I agree with you here. Old Fart was doing the same thing in the slow motion thread I think, posting just "fart" over and over again. It adds nothing (and borders on gimmick given his name).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's just kind of the equivalent of posting "gas" and nothing else. It adds nothing and it's not funny either. At least try to make a bad joke or something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

No Butt Stuff posted:

The difference between a 40 minute and hour commute is a lot more than you'd think.

Agreed. After about 30 minutes each way, the minutes start being exponential, because each minute is a greater percentage of the free time you have left.

If you're at work 8.5 hours, sleep 7 hours, and commute 40 minutes each way, you have about 7.17 hours available. An extra 20 minutes of commuting each way shaves off nearly 10% of your waking free time.

Plus, the longer you have to commute, the likelihood and impact of delays becomes much greater.

I used to do an hour and a half...now I'm between 30 and 40 minutes depending on some factors/timing. I'll never go over 40 again.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have 4 children, two of whom are 6 months old. I know they get sick. But you burn PTO or FMLA to take care of them.

Yeah it's not like you're going to be traveling anywhere for prolonged trips with screaming infants.

• Locked thread