Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Well I'm at work but the gist of it is I got a speeding ticket at Christmas 2 years ago that I need to start paying, and we thought the credit card was in collections but they contacted us yesterday to give us a chance to start making payments so it doesn't go that way. I'm sure we won't get an actual credit limit after we pay it, but since our credit will matter a bit in the next 2 years we need to pay it.

Ticket: ~$1,100 I'll call today and get exact numbers. This is all late fees. I could lose my license or I would blow it off.
Card: ~$1,400 we'll try to get them to knock off the late fees and penalties or whatever.

I know you said most of the $1100 was late fees, but jeez. That's an expensive speeding ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

So, just to confirm:

You're spending $1200 to break a lease plus moving expenses.

And you've saved a grand total of $70 towards the baby?

Health plan and health savings account aside, that's utterly ridiculous.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

How much time and effort are you putting into your business in order to get that return?

$260 in 2 months isn't bad if it's 2-3 hours a week. $260 in 2 months is terrible if that's 10-15 hours a week.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

It's been a while since I've re-read your posts but the thing that jumps out to me is that your car payment is the same cost as your fixed baby costs, plus you have bike expenditures? Remind me again what the car situation is and why that couldn't be reduced?

Edit: Also, for the student loans if you have any forbearance time left I might consider using that for the first few months after the baby is born- even the extra $100/month there would probably really help.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

ufsteph: we're using the insurance company's estimate of the expected birth cost @ $10,000. We're going with the cheaper hospital in town also. All of our hospitals are good here so it shouldn't matter.

So you took a financial estimate from an insurance company which presumably has every incentive to lowball that number and went "yup, that's good" and can't see why everyone in this thread has been saying for months that you need to be prepared for the worst, not the best?

Based on the graph ufsteph posted $10K would have just, JUST barely covered a 100% normal delivery five years ago.

But sure, let's just go ahead and assume $10K will be the number. Nothing could possibly go wrong, right?

Edit: Whoops, it would have just barely covered it in 2008. By 2009 you're already behind. So seven years ago your $10K would have been okay.

Referee fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 30, 2014

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

It's very simple. Look at the title of the thread.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Old Fart posted:

It's hard not to see you playing the victim when you can't even take a breath after "accepting responsibility" before saying how shady they are.

"Yeah, man, I take full responsibility for falling in the water, but it's pretty lovely of that surface tension not to support my weight."

This.

You yourself say you already knew they were shady from the slab leak crap. That means you should have prepared for them to try to screw you over on move out. The fact that you didn't and you then also didn't follow up after move out with any kind of contact to ensure nothing was pulled is completely on you. Own it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

There was a carpet cleaning fee, Jan/Sham whatever the gently caress that is @ $150 (we cleaned the place pretty good, so "walkthrough"), we had a wall painted so that was like $96 (which I'm fine with we did paint a wall), and one or two more things.

As mentioned, this is exactly why people get frustrated with you. You either don't provide details or when you do you don't give the whole story and on top of that your first defense is almost always "well, let's just move on, lesson learned."

I'll give you a personal example. I got a doctor bill for $188 last Friday which I thought seemed pretty high for what I usually pay. So yesterday I called the doctor and asked about it and followed up with a call to my insurance company to verify that my deductible was what I thought it was. In this particular case the bill was completely legit and valid and I called the doctor right back and paid them. No harm done, took maybe fifteen minutes of my day. But what if it wasn't valid? Then that fifteen minutes saves me $100+.

When you don't understand what you're being charged for, then you ask about it. You don't go "eh, whatever the gently caress that is" and pay it. You don't go "eh, lesson learned." And you don't be intentionally vague to a thread full of people who are taking time out of their day to give you advice that might help you.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I don't think people would be nearly as upset/worried/terrified without the fact that the oncoming financial train wreck (the impending childbirth) is coming in about a month and the underlying behavior doesn't seem to have changed.

(Note that I am in no way referring to children as financial train wrecks- just KG's situation changing.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

My opinion on your budgets (food, trips, and otherwise) would be that you wait to make any meaningful changes to anything until after the baby is born next month. This is the time where you should be trying to make everything in your life as stable as possible, not trying to change things when you already have a massive change coming that you know about and that has an arrival date.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

From CreditKarma. This doesn't include a few things in my wife's name like our personal grandma debt, but it does include the appendix surgery and miscellaneous bills related to that.

The actual hospital bills are $22,431 in collections
Non-hospital collections: $1,674 (all small accounts, $438 may be a hopsital bill it doesn't give much info)

That debt figure includes these values. Obviously it doesn't include new ones that aren't reported to credit, like taxes.

I'm not going to pay the hospital bills though. It's just too much money. It's not like I chose for my appendix to go out when I didn't have insurance, and it'll hurt more than it helps I think.

E: ^ will do. I saw a couple people bringing up impulse control in the first couple of pages.

Remind me because I might have forgotten. You said your plan is to re-finance the car and I know you've posted in the past about how happy you are your credit score is going up. Are these hospital bills far enough in the past that they aren't going to affect either of these goals?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Last night we divvyed up chores and what day we need to do them. The penalty for missing a day is $5 in discretionary.

I hope the split on this was you 99% and her 1% because I cannot imagine in what universe doing this with an eight-months-pregnant wife ends well.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Bugamol posted:

At least with my spreadsheet it's extremely easy and straightforward to see where I over under spent! :lol:

Along this line, what did you use to create this sheet?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Congrats KG and Janus Owl!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Inverse Icarus posted:

You're the one doing it. The entire thread has been shouting "MAKE A BUDGET AND STICK TO IT FOR THREE MONTHS" for about a year now, and every month it's like you're discovering how to make a budget all over again, shifting things around in a shell game to make yourself feel better about the numbers.

Make a budget. DON'T CHANGE IT. Roll you overages into the next month and spend less to make it up. DON'T CHANGE IT. Live within the budget, even when family asks you out to dinner. DON'T CHANGE IT.

This seems like something everyone should empty-quote for a page or so.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I don't use YNAB but can someone who does enlighten me as to why some of these categories match up but not others?

For example:

Groceries: 150.00 - 9.99 = 155.14?
Renter's Insurance: 21.37 - 16.58 = 31.59?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

More income won't help anyway right? Unless we take care of the bad with money habits.

:eyepop: Well, I mean yes you need to take care of the money habits but it certainly wouldn't hurt to give you some wiggle room!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Veskit posted:

Is nobody else concerned that we're 11 days into the month and the budget still isn't complete? Anyone?

Nobody? Is this just the give Knyte advice he's not going to take thread like ohhh you know, have a developed plan of what you're doing with your money?

He's just on the Slow Motion budget reconciliation plan. It's okay.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy, post your finished April budget.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

I know I was being a wuss with the bike ride

Knyteguy posted:

The difficulty of the ride isn't what was holding me back

:confused:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

OK cool Horking you've definitely got a deal then. I'll do my best for charity! And the family of course.

What would be your choice of charity?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

My first thought is the http://www.nevadahumanesociety.org/ since they're the pinnacle of animal control (we have no state 'pound') and absolutely need the funding. They have acres of dirt and grass for daily exercise, take on just about the entire burden of homeless and abandoned animals in the city, do free/cheap spays and neuters, and they're no kill. I try to donate when I can.

Good answer. I'm also in for $100. :toxx:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Eh I'm not telling this one. It was expensive though.

:rubshands: Alcohol is an expensive habit all by itself without throwing more money at it, Knyte!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Progress. Despite wanting to go I skipped the bachelor party completely to stay on track with finances, studying, and the alcohol goal. The result of this means I have a small sum of discretionary left to get me through the month. So I proved you wrong something clever you said I was going to go over by mid month I think.

Did some yard work, gonna take a walk for an hour per therapist orders, and I'm on cracking the coding interview the rest of the night and tomorrow.

April may very well be the most successful month yet as far as sticking to the budget goes.

Once is an aberration. Multiple times is a pattern.

Develop this into a pattern and I think you'll have something, Knyteguy.

(But really, good going.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Uncle Jam posted:

You probably shouldn't let your boss know you are entertaining offers unless you already have something lined up. You don't even have a finalized resume yet.

This. I'm very confused why you would bring this up to your current employer when you have nothing in-hand. Unless you're trying to get let go.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Alright so here's how my company works, and how it worked in the past.

I got hired on at X company (Foo here on) my current place of employment. My boss is the owner of Foo. Foo was pretty much a startup when I got there. We were developing a new website product, and that's what I got hired on for. To pay the bills my boss consulted for a few companies, and I consulted for a few companies. doing what I'm currently interviewing for.

One of those companies my boss had a longstanding relationship. We'll call this company Bar. After about a year of not going anywhere (remember my late paychecks?), Bar basically took over Foo. I started billing Bar full time which I'm still doing, my boss is now a vice president of Bar, and Bar said that they would hire me on if I so chose. Bar already pays for my entire salary + benefits, much of our office space including mine, and some of the expenses. My boss and I both operate remotely, but he goes does to corporate about once a month for a week.

So basically I think I'm going to take the withstanding offer from Bar. I'll still need to negotiate I assume. I may even do that mostly with my current boss I don't know. My boss prefers me to work for him since I can work on Foo's work every now and then, but he also said I should do what's best for my family. I think at this point Bar might be my absolute best chance of getting a pay raise without disrupting everything.

I'd be moving companies in pretty much just name, so I think it may be the smoothest path to making more money. It'll mean my boss doesn't get to use me for Foo work for free anymore, but I can't worry about that. I may even be able to swing Foo work into contract work.

This was the conclusion my wife and I kind of came to after discussing for a couple of hours. What do you guys think?

If Bar is already paying your salary and offering to make you a permanent employee, where does this really leave you any leverage to negotiate in this scenario? They already have decided what you're worth because they're currently the ones paying you as I understand it, correct?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Inept posted:

Hahaha how is that even legal? What incentive would they have to quickly get the house rented out again if you're obligated to pay for as long as its vacant?

:doh: Why in the world would you sign a lease like this?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The law requires the landlord to make reasonable efforts to mitigate damages. The landlord can't just sit back and let the place sit empty, and then sue you for the remaining term of the lease.

I'm certainly not versed in this area, but that sounds so ambiguous as to be pretty unenforceable.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

in_cahoots posted:

You're still not understanding what people are saying. The recruiter's goal is to get you a job as quickly as possible. When you say $60k they frame it as, "this guy will be happy with 75k so I'll shoot for jobs in the 70-90k range". You'll interview for the job without knowing the salary, and then they'll come back saying 75k is the best they could do. It's a waste of your time and motivation. Worst case, there's a job out there that you would love for 100k but now you've poisoned the well and can't get more than 80k from them.

Just because a range is posted doesn't mean that you have to accept the bottom of that range. And why would you believe the recruiter when they say they'll 'fight' to avoid giving that information? You know that information is harmful so don't give it to them. Don't leave it up to a recruiter to decide.

Yup, going to agree here. All of this is spot-on. You KNOW giving out that information is bad for you, whether it's to a recruiter or to an interviewer. Don't volunteer it. Period.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

More importantly, following today's interviews, you should probably start thinking about solidifying the budget for the next three months if you haven't already. Those kitties aren't going to spay themselves, you know. ;)

And if you have already solidified it, then post it.

(And if you've already posted it and I missed it, tell me to shut up :D )

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

:siren:Reminder that May 1 is TOMORROW and you still haven't "officially confirmed" the May budget yet!:siren:

Horking Delight posted:

$100 to the charity of your choice if you come under budget for three months in a row, starting in May, budgets posted before the first of the month and spending posted within 2 weeks after the end of the month.

Referee fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 30, 2015

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Final May Budget:

Quoting this for challenge purposes. Good luck, Knyteguy!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

OK so the recruiter doesn't know the company's availability times very well. We scheduled the interview for two Fridays from now.

This puts everything on the table again as far as my wife coming, etc. Still probably won't have her come along because a 8 hour drive sounds brutal just before an interview. We would leave here at 5:30pm, and wouldn't get there until 3:30am, for a half day interview 4 hours later.

This makes sense to me. A spouse's opinion is a huge factor on relocation in most relationships. It wasn't offered though so I won't bring it up.

Budget is going well we ordered our groceries online for an eCart type of deal. It was through one of the more expensive grocery stores in town, but by buying generic we probably got about what we would have at the cheaper places without the hassle and the time sink.

Plus now I can order our meal plan ingredients in just a few clicks.

You know what the hassle and the time sink gets you? Extra money in your pocket.

Please don't take this the wrong way but until you learn to do everything you can to succeed at this budget (which doesn't include e-shopping at expensive grocery stores) no one is going to believe you can do this.

It's the 5th of Month 1. How much of your food budget for the month have you now spent?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

I'm worried about finding a remote job because I've been having trouble getting motivated lately working remotely.

Trouble getting motivated sounds like a great asset when considering switching jobs to one with a billable hours component.

Knyteguy posted:

This place has a good team, with good development standards, and it has that good sign of a developer being revenue generating rather than an expense. Plus the view the developers get is amazing.

I've never been a developer but I'm guessing the amount of time staring out the window at the "view" probably isn't considered a positive in almost any job. Like really, this is enough of a "positive" for you to specifically mention it?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Yes I moved closer to my family very intentionally. However my mom and I had a huge rear end talk about us potentially moving out of state for this job about 3 weeks to a month ago. Is it ideal? No. It was also far from the only justification we made to move, which included being closer to family, washer-and-dryers outside the apartment (with a newborn baby pooping everywhere), 4 animals and 3 people in 700 sq/ft, a safety light outside that would light up our bedroom at night despite blinds, neighbors climbing a tree outside our balcony and looking in, a burst pipe under a concrete slab, rotten rancid apples everywhere on the ground walkways for months that would stick to our shoes, no good places to take our dogs for a walk, noise, and more.

Is this referring to the place you are in now or the place you were in before?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

To get back to the budget, Horking does June's budget have to be the same as May's for the competition? When I made May's I wasn't thinking it had to be the same, but if it does then it should be fine. If not I may adjust a thing or two (not sure).

As someone on the payout side of this contest, I was under the impression that you had to make one budget that was the same for all three months and come in under that budget for all three months. I thought the whole point was to force you to set a reasonable budget that was for more than a month, not three more months of you shuffling it after you found out it didn't work.

However, as Horking said, I'm willing to go with whatever the majority opinion is.

This is all going to be a moot point anyway if you move to SD as that first budget won't apply and you'll have to change it, I suppose.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

I don't have you blocked. I don't have anyone blocked (except for one TFF poster whose gimmick drives me insane).

I don't have the energy or the will to debate right now. Moving forward I'm going to try to relax a bit in the thread. That will really help me I think. I hope some of you guys do as well. I mean look at the thread title how can any of us be mad? :frogc00l:

I'll be mad if the thread title comes true.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I have a few thoughts but I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post them because I'm running on very little sleep and I'd kinda like to see where this conversation goes before I jump in.

Knyteguy, good on you for posting results ASAP. Take the feedback to heart and try to look at it with an open mind. (This isn't to say you aren't doing that- but rather to keep doing that.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Bugamol posted:

I don't have much constructive to say so instead of being a dick I'll say that you should have the SA resume guy put something together for you. You have tons of experience, but your resume feels very "fluff" and insubstantial. I don't think it's doing a good job of communicating what you can bring to the table.

The biggest thing it seems to be missing is specific, concrete examples that are backed up with quantifiable improvement (for example, instead of "reorganized stock room leading to increased productivity," maybe something like "reorganized stock room for efficiency which directly contributed to a 24% increase in revenue the following month" or whatever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

Yep it's slowed down for sure. June will be coming soon; I'm just waiting on one more thing to finalize before everything is done.

July is going very well so far. We've been eating at home every day, etc. I think the initial car paydown will be about $1,000 but I'm not entirely sure on that yet (since we'll be kind of ruining the month ahead concept as there's no point in waiting on an extra debt payment when we're far more than a month ahead). It just depends on what my wife gets paid this month.

We're going to take a vacation in August around my birthday (but not for my birthday).

I'm also going to restart (actually expand since I've been running one for 5 years) a hosting business of some sort. Not sure of the time frame here yet, but I'd say 2-6 months or so to finally get started. It shouldn't affect the budget much.

Wife interviewed for that office job. $60,000 isn't going to happen, but one of the ladies there really wants to get her in that position, or at least within the company. It depends on how two more interviewees pan out, but they did really like her resume. She's doing really well applying for other jobs beyond that, so hopefully we'll see something from that soon.

'Bout it.

I'm a little confused, it's July 6th and you're already working a month ahead on funds as you say. What are you waiting on from June that wasn't already accounted for?

• Locked thread