Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
So I'm inpatient for another week for a clinical trial and my roommate really likes my Nexus 7 after borrowing it for a few minutes but is one of those people who thinks bigger screen for same money = better tablet. I briefly explained that the 7 is a really amazing deal for $200-240, but told him if he wanted a tablet I'd figure out one to recommend. He's not particularly savvy but he's a kid, not a senile old man, he figured out facebook and youtube etc. etc. easily enough. Am I right in thinking that unless he's going to read a ton of books he's probably best off with either the 7 or an ipad mini, or if he really wants a big tablet, a refurb ipad or something? He's not exactly going to want to spend like $600. What exactly is the reason to avoid a big screen on a tablet? It makes sense to me but I don't really know how to articulate it to someone who doesn't know anything about tablets. I understand that Android apps just aren't optimized for 10" and generally waste a lot of screen space but does that apply to ipads too, i.e. if you aren't old or super fatfingered you should probably get a small tablet or just go right to a laptop or a yoga or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I'm trying to help since he has no idea what's what, this isn't paternalism on my part :raise:

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

randyest posted:

No. iOS has lots of apps optimized for 10". Pretty much all of them, in fact...
Let your friend go and look at tablets and decide what he wants.
thanks for the normal response :)

clockworx posted:

Recommending tablets (in real life, to people who solicit my advice) is killing me:
:suicide:
It seems like you either need to be paternalistic as gently caress or expect this kind of outcome. If my roommate comes back to me and asks for a recommendation later then great, but in the meantime, before I even got a response from this thread, of course his comments were along the lines of "whoa $600 for an ipad gently caress that... what you talking about nexus 7 that sound good... wait, man i can get a 7" tablet from best buy, hundred bucks" :sigh:

Just today I tried to explain to my girlfriend's mom that as far as laypeople are concerned "a tablet" = ipad = $500+ and of course she didn't go for that, then I tried my hardest to prevent her from latching on to the idea that "android" is THE monolithic ipad alternative and that the 32GB 2013 nexus 7 is a pretty great deal at ~$200 and that if she spends $100 on some piece of poo poo, she probably won't enjoy using it just because it's "android" and I seem to like my "android" tablet :(

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I'm looking for a 7" current generation Android tablet that has full cell phone capabilities. Any recommendations? I've been googling for hours and haven't had a lot of luck other than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, which is out-of-date. I'd prefer something with 4G at least.

Does it really have to be 7"? Cause if not you could get one of many 6" phones with awesome screens and then it'd still fit in your pants!

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
jesus yeah the Shield looks like a fantastic deal, especially if any of the weird potential stuttering issues the N9 is having are due to the 64-bit dual-supercorewhatever design, because the Shield has 4 32 bit cores that perform nearly the same in aggregate. You're paying $100 more for the 9 and losing the better speakers and some gimmicky functionality (and stylus lol) and just getting a wider screen. The Shield's 8" screen would probably be usable in one hand because it's 1080p, and it'd still be sufficiently big to be worth carrying along with an N6 (or hopefully GSM droid turbo)... hmm.

The Shield has an SD card slot too, is it possible to shunt game assets etc. off onto an SD card any more or did Google completely break that now too? Even if the 32GB Shield is necessary, that makes it almost a better deal than the 16GB compared to the N9 because the 32GB Shield also has LTE for $400, whereas LTE isn't even on the table yet for the N9.

I hate making expensive decisions and I still love my N7, I think I'm going to hammer the poo poo out of that HTC site for a couple Tuesdays, half price N9 would make the decision way easier :)

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

XenJ posted:

Check this out goons ...Nokia N1- Android Tablet!

Sounds very interesting, cheap and with a full alu-case, android 5.0, Battery 5300 mAh, Display 7.9" 2048x1536 IPS LCD...

Price $249 (32GB) :)
that looks pretty loving fantastic, glad I didn't bother jumping on the new-ish Shield promo that was basically a bunch of free games and a free controller.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I want to say refurb 2012 Nexus 7 but I don't know if they regularly actually dip much below refurb 2013 prices, though they've been as cheap as $100. Maybe a used/refurb Nabi or something for the kid, but I don't know if those kind of tablets are useful enough for netflix and such? One year old use + grown-up games/movies is kind of a broad use case...

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Swype? Is it 2011 again?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Is it because of the swyping? SwiftKey has done that for like 2 years now...

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Hey guys, there's an Android Tablet thread and an Android App thread that might be better suited to this conversation.
I used to love swype but it seems obsolete now so I was just curious if it still did something particularly well.

LiquidRain posted:

I want a tablet, with a stylus, that I can use OneNote's Camera Scan feature for note taking and such. This is a part-time night class thing, not a full time student, and I'd like to spend as little money as possible. I was looking at the Venue Pro 8 and VivoTab 8 Note, for example, but I'm not sure what exists in the Android world that can compete. (if Android's version of OneNote is comparable)

Recommend please!
Shield is a great tablet if it's not too spendy for you? My understanding is that its stylus is pretty great, not sure about the camera though.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I think it's pretty fantastic if you can't/don't want to wait for the Nokia N1. My understanding is the streaming stuff works pretty well but you don't actually need a Shield for it, just an nvidia card + one of several public apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Daimo posted:

Pretty much, no.
Lol at Nokia still not loving selling the N1 in the US.

Nokia could sell like 10 million N1s immediately, or at least nvidia could sell a ton of next-gen Shields if their March announcement wasn't a retarded dead-on-arrival ouya 2.0. After getting a legit new flagship Android phone I am loving starving for a tablet that isn't made redundant by it, and there's just nothing worth spending my money on :(