Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

omg chael crash posted:

Think so? Think even basic, unmodded Morrowind would cripple a tablet? Hmmm

Don't listen to him. I've played Morrowind on Acer Aspire Switch 10 that has an Intel Bay Trail Z3735F processor (2M Cache, base 1.33 GHz, burst up to 1.83 GHz) and 2 GB of RAM. It's going to get hot and probably going to drain your battery but it's more than possible.

$500 could get you an Asus Transformer T200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

How could you possibly play Morrowind with just on screen touch controls?

You can't but if you have a tablet with a detachable keyboard dock, you can add a mouse.

(I remember reading about some program that can add user customized on screen controls but I can't imagine that working well at all)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 4, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

freemason9 posted:

So is there a downside to running Windows on a tablet, vs. Android 4.x.x.?

1 GB isn't a lot of RAM but as long as you only want listen to music, it should probably be fine. And you'd have to web player for Sirius/desktop program for Spotify since there's no native app for either of them.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 2, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

RVProfootballer posted:

You don't think Windows Phone 10 and full, desktop Windows 10, which will be on the tablets, might have different hardware requirements?

Just want to clear this up. All Windows tablets will be able to upgrade to full Windows 10. After that point, OEMs of sub-8 inch tablets will have the choice of whatever they're calling Windows RT (yes, it's not actually dead) or real deal Windows 10. There's no hard rule.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 2, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

There's problems with file compression of devices like HP Stream that's not allowing people to upgrade to Windows 10:

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/26/got-a-low-cost-laptop-windows-10-upgrade-may-take-some-effort/

quote:

The HP Stream 7 is one of those devices that if you try to upgrade Windows 8.1 to the technical preview using the Windows Update method you will get the error about it not being able to install on a compressed operating system.

This does not mean the device can’t run the technical preview – it just means upgrading to it is off the table. That means a fresh install is the only choice available to anyone who is seeing this error.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/installing-windows-10-technical-preview-hp-stream-7

There's instructions on how to upgrade to the technical preview and you'd have to imagine that Microsoft will get that sorted out by the time it launches.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm in the market for a tablet to use for school and work stuff because I don't want to lug my laptop back and forth on a 30-45 minute public transit commute every day. Basically I just need something that will run MS Office Suite, play videos and music well, maybe do some very light gaming. What's my best option in the $300-350 range?

If you need a keyboard attachment, probably the ASUS Transformer T100. If you want a pen, probably the Toshiba Encore 2 Write.

Whatever you go with, be sure to do your research before you buy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sri.Theo posted:

OneNote and a windows tablet is what you want for that. Surface 3 is great but many of the cheap er tablets ask also have fantastic handwriting recognition.

I've heard really good things about the Toshiba Encore Write 2. They have an 8 inch and 10 inch model.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kilazar posted:

The issue with lack of storage on the kid kindle is that once the storage is reached the device becomes unuseable per reviews. Also from reviews it seems that once this storage limit is reached it becomes a nightmare to log into the parent side to clean memory due to the way free time is integrated on this particular device. If I go kindle fire I will just get him a normal one. But before doing so I was consulting here too see if there are better options.

Kid kindle fire also has reported horrible battery life and charge time.

The kid kindle is just a normal kindle in a kid protective case.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

fartzone_42069 posted:

The Asus vivtotab 8 seems like a lot of bang for it's buck at $250. And at $350 the Toshiba Encore 2 Write 8inch gets rave reviews.

If I go cheapshit on this is it going to be something where maybe the writing with the stylus will be slow, inaccurate, mindmeltingly lovely, or all of the above?

All I need to do is take notes and have enough battery for a few hours of class. No frills needed, no apps or games. But don't want an electric lunch tray either! Thanks! :)

The Vivotab has quality issues and the Toshiba Encore 2 Write is designed for Windows 8.1 so if you move to 10, you'll lose those toshiba apps (plus windows 10 is dogshit garbage on tablets)

Just get a notebook because you'll look like King rear end in a top hat click clack smashing a stylus into a glass screen all class (seriously they're way louder than you expect)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kazmeyer posted:

It could definitely use updating. Amazon's released a generation of Fires since what's been posted, but most of them are kind of garbage. The only interesting choice is the $50 Fire 7", which you can stick Google services on and turn into a super cheap tablet pretty good for light gaming and faffing about. The hardware's not fantastic, but I find I get a lot more use out of it than my more expensive tablet, which kind of lives on my nightstand because I'm super paranoid about something happening to it. :)

Even without Google Play, the $50 one is a great cheap choice since it has Underground support.