Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ah, Tokimeki. I've heard about it, but lack the time nowadays to suss out playing it (I took Japanese in college, but it'd still take me a good several hours and at least 3 dictionaries just to suss out a scene... Not really viable, what with a job and everything). Still, as someone who only really got into visual novels a few years ago, I thank you for this thread and look forward to reliving the Magic of High School (tm)! :allears:

Well, as a Japanese fellow would see it, anyway...

As to voting, you do realize that you selling Ms. Childhood Friend there makes my gamer's OCD act up somthin' fierce, right? D!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Hmm... yeah, I know "sticking to the plan" is important, but I think I'll vote option B here. I know, I know, not a very nice attitude on what appears to be a min/maxing endeavor, but I've never played this game before, and real life has beaten into me the importance of a "Plan B."

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

The charumera is... interesting in Japanese culture. It's a double-reeded woodwind that is sometimes used in kabuki performances, but is most commonly associated with ramen. Apparently, the proprietors of ramen carts used to play them to alert the neighborhood that they were there, much like the jingles used by ice cream trucks. The sound has become so linked to ramen that a lot of ramen shops still play the music outside their doors.

Proof I'm not making this up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9dgsjsg_LI

Now I have an image in my head of a little old man selling noodles to the tune of "Turkey in the Straw" or "The Entertainer." Too bad I don't live somewhere with mobile savory food sellers...

Anyhow, my interest, she is piqued. Looking forward to see how you handle the inevitable heartbreak. Or not, as the case mAY BE.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

EphemeralToast posted:

I salute your dedication to perfection, Gunpei and vibratingsheep. :japan:

As do I! See, this is why you do all the Nintendo Hard stuff in a game first: you get the bragging rights for doing it and can rest easy in the knowledge that you never, ever have to do it again. On to the fun stuff!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

nielsm posted:

A, because story.

Prolly isn't gonna win, but this is my vote.

I'm also interested in one of the girls involved, and how she has a strong dislike of every other girl. Is she shy, awkward, or a standoffish jerk?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

evilspacehopper posted:

This is the hardest part of this let's play because I want to pick all the girls really.

For real. I didn't think I'd ever want to go with Hikari due to the emotional manipulation in the beginning, but now that we're in the game proper, she seems... ok, drat it!

But hand to heart, I don't know if I want to do another childhood friend route so soon after the first. So I'm going to go with C: Kaori, because we haven't met her yet, and I like a mystery. Let's see if we can melt a frozen heart!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Akane, because I already have a taste of Homura and you guys have made me curious.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, why argue with perfection. B it is.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

Homura: Wha? What're you doing here?
Goon: ...
Goon: Did you really call for us to clean up the school so you could do this?

Homura: N, no, this was just a nice little bonus. Right, Kazumi-chan?
Bakuretsuzan: Yes, you must not waste all of the resources at your disposal.
Goon: You're pretty unconvincing with your hands full of roast sweet potatoes.

It is probably a good thing I have never really had aspirations to education. Because, Lord knows, if I was the principal of a high school and could get away with it, I'd do poo poo like this all the time. But the school board would probably have something to say about that...

Best principal so far. Homura is the best.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, why not Grey.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

Goonko: But I bet they're all superhero flicks.
Kazuma: Well, yeah. I enjoy all sorts of action, like kung fu movies too.
Goonko: And let me guess, you're one of the guys who walks out of the theater and copies all the hero's moves?
Kazuma: drat straight!

Kazuma: I, I mean, no! I've never done that before, it's stupid!

:swoon: We made the right choice, girls.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

The play that Goonko's class puts on is an adaptation of Konjiki Yasha, a classic work of Meiji literature also known as The Golden Demon or The Usurer. Written by Ozaki Koyo and serialized from 1897 to 1902, it's the story of Hazama Kan'ichi, a penniless student, and his fiancee Shigisawa "Omiya" Miya. Their romance is cut short when Omiya's parents force her to marry a wealthy banker named Tomiyama, and the scene where Kan'ichi bitterly rebukes the desperate and remorseful Omiya is legendary. I'm going to crib a 1917 translation I found at the UC Berkeley library, to try and preserve some of the old-fashioned speech of the characters.

Kan'ichi: So, you cast me aside so easily? Do you no longer love me?
Omiya: Oh, what am I to do?
Kan'ichi: How would I know? drat your eyes, clouded by wealth!
Kan'ichi: My bitterness is so great...
Kan'ichi: Next year, on this very night, my tears will cloud the moon!

I'm horribly massacring the line and I'm sorry, but then again, the popular version of this line is hugely truncated from the original (flip to page 83). The full line ends with something like "And when you see the moon shrouded by the clouds, remember that I shall be weeping--with tears of anger and resentment."

Let me guess: does Omiya take her own life at the end? Or does she simply drop dead on the wedding day a la Annachie Gordon?

And ye gods, why is the Chairman even a thing?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Ah, so it's an Edwin Drood style story... Huh. Interesting that the Usurer of the title is Kan'ichi and not the one Omiya is intended to marry. Thanks for expanding; I'm an English major, so foreign literature and the insight it offers into the culture/beliefs of the author is my light of happiness in this sad and broken world. I'll read it more fully when I get off work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Funny, for me I don't really care that he's older (in this instance), I care that he seems kinda artificially wacky.

I feel a little bad for the three people that voted for Masaki.

I don't even remember who Masaki is, truth be told. :sweatdrop:

And I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable with Wakaouji even being an interest at all, because of the teacher-student thing. Dynamics is important, folks.

• Locked thread