Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimeeri
Mar 2, 2014

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I love cooking Korean food but it makes my kitchen smell like a dumpster and all my friends and family hate me for it. Today I made spicy rice cakes and tofu (tteokbokki) and when my neighbor came over to try a slice of the tiramisu I made last night he ran away as soon as I opened the door and wanted to know if I collect dead cats. :(

I feel you. I love kimchi but the smell is a bit too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
What the hell? Kimchi smells delicious as does all Korean food except maybe hongeo
Get over it and eat the good food!!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kimchi smell is only bad when your kimchi container isn't fully sealed and your fridge gets full of stale kimchi smell and everything in the fridge reeks and is gross.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can we talk about how to make kimchi? I've been wanting to for ages, but have no idea where to start :confused:

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Grand Fromage posted:

Kimchi smell is only bad when your kimchi container isn't fully sealed and your fridge gets full of stale kimchi smell and everything in the fridge reeks and is gross.

I have never encountered this so I'll take your word for it, just store your kimchi responsibly and smells go away.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tias posted:

Can we talk about how to make kimchi? I've been wanting to for ages, but have no idea where to start :confused:

It's probably sacrilege but I like the recipe out of momofuku. I'm on my phone and didn't see it readily online, but this looks similar, although I don't recall the one from momofuku using simple syrup. They have a few other kinds of kimchi on there too under http://luckypeach.com/recipes/collections/kimchi/

Edit: I do like sunny kim's recipe too actually, although I'd scale it down quite a bit if it's your first outing.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 23, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've tried making kimchi twice and its not worked either time for different reasons and i bought some online and its extremely fishy so its sat in the fridge going uneaten. I just want some like the stuff i ate in san diego that was salty/sour/sweet/hot equally and not overpowering on any of them

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tias posted:

Yeah. The basics are very easy then you start to futz around. At minimum you will need:

Napa cabbage
Salt
Gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder)
Minced garlic
Minced ginger
Soy sauce
Fish sauce

Start by prepping the cabbage. Some people will use an entire head of cabbage intact, others chop it up. I find the intact kind annoying to make and annoying to deal with later so I always chop. Rough cuts, I like to cut it a little larger than an easy bite size since it will shrink. Rinse, drain, then salt it thoroughly. Leave it in a colander and let it sit in the salt for a few hours. You'll get a lot of liquid you don't need to keep. Rinse off.

While this is going on, prep your flavoring. Mix together gochugaru, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and fish sauce into a paste. This is just the very basics, you can add more things. Little salted preserved shrimp (saeujeot) are traditional and good. There's a lot of playing around you can do here to change the flavors.

Put your cabbage in a container that has a lid. Mix in the flavoring paste and make sure everything is thoroughly coated. Now you get to choose how sour it will be. Close the box tight and leave it somewhere cool, not refrigerated. The longer you leave it out, the more it will get fermented and sour. Two or three days is normal, I've done it for a week to get some real sharp kimchi before. Taste it daily and when it's what you like, put it in the fridge to slow down the fermentation.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I never use soy sauce in mine. On the other hand, I find onion and something sugary (like an apple, or even white sugar) to be very nice in there. Also I lime to add glutinous rice flour as it makes for a nicer sauce later.

Also also, after I chop the cabbage I put it in a saltwater bath for an hour or so, and then once drained I don't add any more salt.

But there is no one true kimchi. A kimchis are valid and also good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I add shaved carrot strips and a ton of green onions when I make it. One bit of advice, don't put too much ginger in it. That seems to be what causes the "tastes like burning tires" thing that bad kimchi occasionally gets.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks a lot! This seems within my crafting abilities!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I made kimchi one weekend just completely winging it based on what I had available and the ingredients I thought kimchi contained. So I chopped up some baby bok-choy, soaked it in salt water for a bit, then mixed together a paste of gochujang, sugar, and fish sauce, smashed it all into a mason jar and threw it in the cabinet. A month later I had forgotten about the thing, pulled it out of the cupboard, and with a great deal of worry pried the top off with a knife.

The pop of the seal and little micro bubbles clued me in that some fermentation had happened. And it tasted really strong but didn't smell funky. It's too much for me to eat raw but mellows out a lot when cooked. It's an amazing filling for an omelet, tossed in with fried rice, or as an addition to a clear broth soup. So for something I just whipped together in five minutes I'm pretty impressed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So I had this dish once that was cold vermicelli, cold rice, raw vegetables, and warm seasoned beef in a bowl and I forgot the name! There wasn't any broth or anything, it was kind of like a salad with the rice on bottom then the noodles, vegetables, and beef layered on top. I want to know the name to recreate it and maybe find out what they used to season that delicious beef.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That sounds like Vietnamese bun, but I guess that's a Korean equivalent??

Compendium fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 2, 2016

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

al-azad posted:

So I had this dish once that was cold vermicelli, cold rice, raw vegetables, and warm seasoned beef in a bowl and I forgot the name! There wasn't any broth or anything, it was kind of like a salad with the rice on bottom then the noodles, vegetables, and beef layered on top. I want to know the name to recreate it and maybe find out what they used to season that delicious beef.

vermicelli AND rice? that's insane

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I'm thinking maybe japchae-bap(rice) but it isn't quite what you are describing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

al-azad posted:

Are you sure it wasn't just bog-standard bulgogi marinade on the beef? I have no idea what that dish is called, but the noodles sound like japchae noodles. It sounds pretty simple, though; I bet you could recreate it easily.

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't talk about my apartment on here! :mad: I have just turned the middle part of my fridge into my kimchi fridge, in an attempt to kill the smell, but MAN that poo poo hits you right in the face when you open the door.

Also, one time GF found some kimchi so old at the back of his fridge that it had nearly liquefied and then gave it to me. It was DELICIOUS. Best kimchi jigae ever.

Here's my kimchi recipe, just to compare with other peoples' kimchi recipes.. I don't measure poo poo:

Napa cabbage (you cannot use "regular" cabbage, in case anyone wonders...well, you can, but it's bitter and not very nice IMHO.)
Scallions
Daikon
1 apple
4-5 cloves of garlic
A knob of ginger
Soy sauce (LIGHT soy sauce. It really does make a huge difference.)
Kochukaru
Fish sauce

Chop the cabbage, daikon, and scallions into bite-sized pieces. Wash VERY well. Salt thoroughly and leave for about an hour (I usually make it salty enough that you wouldn't want to eat more than a few pieces at once.)

Grate a whole red apple and the ginger. Chop the garlic finely. Although I would normally consider four cloves of garlic barely enough for one serving of spaghetti sauce, there is such a thing as too much garlic and ginger when it comes to kimchi.

Rinse the salted veggies very well and transfer to a large plastic bowl. I always squeeze each handful over the sink as it goes in to get out the excess water.

Make a sort of paste with the wet ingredients, garlic, ginger, and apple. Splorch it in there. Add kochukaru to taste. Mix it all well with your hands. If the paste is too solid, add a bit of water.

Put that poo poo in a plastic or glass container and leave it out of the fridge for as long as you feel like. I really like SOUR kimchi, so I leave mine out for five days, but you can easily chuck it in the fridge a day or two after making it. If you're not sure how it's cooking, thump the container a few times- you should see bubbles coming up from the bottom after 24 hours or less.

Also, I once made kimchi with red radishes instead of daikon and it tasted weirdly like butter. :confused:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I finally collected my guts and made a kimchis :iamafag:

However, after just 24 hours it's already bubbling angrily and emitting a horrible smell. I'd taste it, but I'm kinda freaking out :D

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Tias posted:

I finally collected my guts and made a kimchis :iamafag:

However, after just 24 hours it's already bubbling angrily and emitting a horrible smell. I'd taste it, but I'm kinda freaking out :D

Sounds like you did a good job!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Would it be possible to grind sweet rice to make ddeok or do I need to locate regular short grain rice?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I actually prefer my kimchi really fresh, when the leaves are wilty but the stems still have a little snap. :shobon: I'll eat a ton of it on the day I make it, but after a few days I tend to lose interest in it and it just sits in the fridge forever. Eventually I end up making fried rice or something with it, but not before my roommates get annoyed at this giant tupperware full of sour cabbage in the fridge. Thankfully, I've solved the problem of having roommates by getting my own place, and since I do all of the grocery shopping nobody can tell me what I should or shouldn't keep in the fridge. Gonna make a ton of kimchi this week and eat nothing but kimchi jiggae and mixed-grain rice because I've been having mad cravings for it lately.

Tias
May 25, 2008

:whatup:

I love having all the kimchis, glad I don't live with haters.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fresh kimchi is good.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Fresh kimchi is good.

Yass, but not strong enough! Choices.. I should just make kimchis constantly.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Tias posted:

Yass, but not strong enough! Choices.. I should just make kimchis constantly.

This is the correct choice.

I finally finished off a mountain of kimchi and it's time to make a brand new batch...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hello, spoon goons, I have a question.

I will be making a vegan dinner for a girl I am hoping to impress this weekend. I live in a town with limited food selections, so nothing particularly exotic in terms of ingredients are available. As you may have guessed, the girl is Korean, and really likes food of that type. I'd like to impress her with a decent, authentic, and vegan Korean dish, one that could be made with relatively common ingredients, doesn't rely on soy meat substitutes (being tofu-free entirely would be even better) and that could be made without particularly complicated kitchen equipment.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to dishes I could make?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I will be making a vegan dinner for a girl I am hoping to impress this weekend. I live in a town with limited food selections, so nothing particularly exotic in terms of ingredients are available. As you may have guessed, the girl is Korean, and really likes food of that type. I'd like to impress her with a decent, authentic, and vegan Korean dish, one that could be made with relatively common ingredients, doesn't rely on soy meat substitutes (being tofu-free entirely would be even better) and that could be made without particularly complicated kitchen equipment.

Congrats on serving a lot of simple banchan I guess.

Why no tofu? Pretty much every main dish that isn't meat or seafood based is tofu based.

I guess you could make japchae or gimbap or an all veggie bibimbap or something I guess.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
If you weren't aware, tofu isn't eaten as a neat substitute in most of Asia but rather because people like it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rurutia posted:

If you weren't aware, tofu isn't eaten as a neat substitute in most of Asia but rather because people like it.

Also this.

Dubu jorim or soondubu jjigae is fantastic.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Personally I'm crazy about vegetarian mutton and I'm not a vegetarian. There's good stuff in the soybean and gluten textured food zone.

If you want to do vegan Korean food, though, it's worth looking into Korean Buddhist food. Temple food is largely vegan. It shares some things in common with shojin ryori and Chinese Buddhist cuisine.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

That's a good suggestion. But also, let me chime in against the idea generally. When you're cooking to impress you should always cook something you already know how to make well. Instead of trying to mirror her culinary interests back at her, show her yours so she can get to know you. And then when you find out what actual specific dishes she enjoys, maybe you can learn to make them. If she's a cook herself, maybe she'll teach you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Temple food is the direction to look. What sorts of things do you have available? If you don't have access to gochujang or doenjang your options are extremely limited. I'm going to assume you can get those.

There's no such thing as Korean vegan food other than the temple stuff, but plenty of things can be made vegan. Sundubu jjigae and doenjang jjigae are good. Kimchi jjigae would work if you had more time (kimchi is not vegan unless it's specially made that way). There's a bunch of stuff that you can convert very easily by changing the dashi. Korean dashi is made with kombu and dried anchovies, but you can make it with kombu and shiitake mushrooms instead. I may be overestimating the town by assuming kombu is around, you could probably do some sort of straight mushroom stock? I don't know.

Last time I made vegetarian Korean food I did doenjang jjigae, dubujorim, and japchae.

If tofu is entirely off the menu for some reason uh... I dunno man. The non-meat dishes in Korea are basically all tofu related in some way. Or pickles.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bombhand posted:

That's a good suggestion. But also, let me chime in against the idea generally. When you're cooking to impress you should always cook something you already know how to make well. Instead of trying to mirror her culinary interests back at her, show her yours so she can get to know you. And then when you find out what actual specific dishes she enjoys, maybe you can learn to make them. If she's a cook herself, maybe she'll teach you.

yeah, if you don't know how the gently caress to cook korean food already, don't wing it or make a bunch of recipes you've never made. you're going to fail, bigtime. I've eaten hundreds of koreanfoods people, believe me. the best koreanfoods, and your plan? carnage. absolute carnage. sad, really.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I echo everyone else but this website has a ton of vegan Korean recipes if you want to stick to the plan.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Casu Marzu posted:

Congrats on serving a lot of simple banchan I guess.

Why no tofu? Pretty much every main dish that isn't meat or seafood based is tofu based.

I guess you could make japchae or gimbap or an all veggie bibimbap or something I guess.

Sorry, I have nothing against tofu, I guess I just figured it'd be more interesting to do something that didn't require it.

Looking at the general consensus of the thread though, I think you're right, I'd be much more confident cooking something with ingredients I'm familiar with. It's not too hard to adapt stuff I usually make to fit within vegan standards anyway.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sorry, I have nothing against tofu, I guess I just figured it'd be more interesting to do something that didn't require it.

:eyepop:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Doenjang jigae can be made vegan, easy and delicious.

Switch up your gimbap fillings. I find cooked squash and mushrooms to be wonderful additions to gimbap/sushi.

Vegan bibimbap is easy and impressive if you can fake a dolsot! Don't worry about getting the "right" vegetables.

Ddeokbokki with fried tofu or inari, or strips of eggplant, instead of fishcake.

Various banchan: bean sprouts, broccoli quick pickles, blanched spinach, etc.

Cucumbers, daikon, and lettuce leaves cut into bite-size packages and dipped into ssamjang.

Shabu-shabu with a strong mushroom broth and lots of veggies. After the veggies are gone, put noodles or rice in the leftover soup and cook together.

Whole roasted sweet potatoes or chunks of pumpkin.

Ssambap with grilled zucchini instead of meat strips.

All else, fails, put the firmest tofu you can kind in a colander. Put the colander in the sink. Put a saucer on the tofu and a heavy can in the saucer; wait an hour for the water to drain out. Slice and marinade in various Korean liquids. Grill, add to a simple stirfry, or eat cold or warmed-up over cabbage.

Oh! You can buy vegan kimchi at most rich people grocery stores; check Whole Foods.

e:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Looking at the general consensus of the thread though, I think you're right, I'd be much more confident cooking something with ingredients I'm familiar with. It's not too hard to adapt stuff I usually make to fit within vegan standards anyway.

You're right; vegetarians and vegans get tofu thrown at them A LOT by people who, while well-meaning, don't know how to cook it. But there are plenty of ways to get around it, and you shouldn't worry.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 23, 2017

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Rurutia posted:

Requote because it hasn't seemed to sink in with the white people.

Tofu is not a meat substitute, it is its own thing that is eaten for its own flavor.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Tofu owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

NLJP posted:

Tofu owns

Fried tofu is my favorite thing, and there's nowhere to get it fresh around here. Actually, there's nowhere to get fresh tofu here period. It's all bland or bad supermarket tofu. :sigh:

• Locked thread