Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Grand Fromage posted:

I've seen rice flour in recipes on the internet, but I've never seen it in Korea. Kimchi is the kind of thing where every grandma has her own recipe though, so I wouldn't discount it as a thing that exists somewhere. I personally have never used it or seen any reason to.

The kimchi that my grandmother makes always has that fresh and refreshing flavor and crunch to it that I just can't ever replicate and it makes me mad! It's literally grandma magic since I've gotten her recipe and method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Man Yam posted:

Sometimes my mother complains that her fresh kimchi was salted too long and hence not as crunchy. How long do you let your cabbage sit after salting? Depending on what she's making, mom will let the cabbage sit in salt anywhere from 4-6 hours to overnight and then soak/rinse in fresh water.

As for sugar, never had it in my kimchi, but from what I am told by friends and relatives, Korean food is made sweeter lately? My mother has a neighbor visiting from Korea and everything they make has tons of sugar in it.

Saeujut and 3-crab sauce for life yo!

Does anyone eat fried or boiled pork belly, samgyupsal dipped in saeujut? Best combination, tied with eating it wrapped in fresh kimchi. I need to go get some sliced pork belly.

Hmm, I usually let it sit for around 6 hours, so I'll try to reduce it by 2 hours and see how that goes.

Also grilled samgyupsal is great and all, but my favorite use for it is using a fatty cut and simmering them along with ramen or kimchi chiigae.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

While we're on the topic, I just absolutely cannot stand beondegi, which is a snack made out of boiled silkworms. They don't even taste that bad, but the godforsaken smell is atrocious.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I live in Oregon and this sounds like a really tasty thing to do. Specifically, I'm in the Willamette Valley.

Should I toast barley and/or corn before making tea of it? Can I just buy whole barley and soak that in water? Are there any special steps I need to worry about?

Get a bunch of unhulled barley grains and toast them. There, you got the base for barley tea, now just add them to simmering water and wait a few minutes and you got tea. It is like the most easiest thing to do, and you get this really great nutty tea out of it in the end. I usually make a whole pitcher of it at a time and drink it cold.

I almost never measure properly, but if that's your thing then I'm usually supposed to use about half a cup of toasted barley for every 10 cups of water. Boil time of either 20 minutes or whenever I remember to tend to the pot, it really doesn't matter since oversteeping barley tea doesn't taste as astringent as it would with tea leaves.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 30, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Comb Your Beard posted:

How do you spoon Gochujang out of the container without some always sticking to the spoon? Even if I use that spoon to stir a sauce, some still stays on.

you lick it off

• Locked thread