Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
To be perfectly honest, a lot of the samgyetang you get here has, like, a TEENSY slice of ginseng and the rest is made up with ginger. The most ginseng you'll consume at most samgyetang places is in the form of insam-ju.

off-topic, I know, but does anyone else miss Ginseng Rush soda? :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

How do you spoon Gochujang out of the container without some always sticking to the spoon? Even if I use that spoon to stir a sauce, some still stays on.

1. Spoon gochujang last

2. Stir that spoon into whatever you're cooking, so as not to waste it

OR

3. wipe it on some tofu and eat the tofu.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Is it really traditional to serve it with what looks like 2 cloves of raw garlic for a relatively small amount of meat? I love garlic but drat. Or is it pickled or something?

lol 2 cloves u fukkin pansy

poo poo ain't hangookin until you eat a whole head of raw garlic

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I feel like I have asked this in this thread before. but because I literally have dementia

does anyone have a good resource or book for banchan recipes?

Maangchi is the best for everything!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

al-azad posted:

So I had this dish once that was cold vermicelli, cold rice, raw vegetables, and warm seasoned beef in a bowl and I forgot the name! There wasn't any broth or anything, it was kind of like a salad with the rice on bottom then the noodles, vegetables, and beef layered on top. I want to know the name to recreate it and maybe find out what they used to season that delicious beef.

Are you sure it wasn't just bog-standard bulgogi marinade on the beef? I have no idea what that dish is called, but the noodles sound like japchae noodles. It sounds pretty simple, though; I bet you could recreate it easily.

Grand Fromage posted:

Kimchi smell is only bad when your kimchi container isn't fully sealed and your fridge gets full of stale kimchi smell and everything in the fridge reeks and is gross.

Don't talk about my apartment on here! :mad: I have just turned the middle part of my fridge into my kimchi fridge, in an attempt to kill the smell, but MAN that poo poo hits you right in the face when you open the door.

Also, one time GF found some kimchi so old at the back of his fridge that it had nearly liquefied and then gave it to me. It was DELICIOUS. Best kimchi jigae ever.

Here's my kimchi recipe, just to compare with other peoples' kimchi recipes.. I don't measure poo poo:

Napa cabbage (you cannot use "regular" cabbage, in case anyone wonders...well, you can, but it's bitter and not very nice IMHO.)
Scallions
Daikon
1 apple
4-5 cloves of garlic
A knob of ginger
Soy sauce (LIGHT soy sauce. It really does make a huge difference.)
Kochukaru
Fish sauce

Chop the cabbage, daikon, and scallions into bite-sized pieces. Wash VERY well. Salt thoroughly and leave for about an hour (I usually make it salty enough that you wouldn't want to eat more than a few pieces at once.)

Grate a whole red apple and the ginger. Chop the garlic finely. Although I would normally consider four cloves of garlic barely enough for one serving of spaghetti sauce, there is such a thing as too much garlic and ginger when it comes to kimchi.

Rinse the salted veggies very well and transfer to a large plastic bowl. I always squeeze each handful over the sink as it goes in to get out the excess water.

Make a sort of paste with the wet ingredients, garlic, ginger, and apple. Splorch it in there. Add kochukaru to taste. Mix it all well with your hands. If the paste is too solid, add a bit of water.

Put that poo poo in a plastic or glass container and leave it out of the fridge for as long as you feel like. I really like SOUR kimchi, so I leave mine out for five days, but you can easily chuck it in the fridge a day or two after making it. If you're not sure how it's cooking, thump the container a few times- you should see bubbles coming up from the bottom after 24 hours or less.

Also, I once made kimchi with red radishes instead of daikon and it tasted weirdly like butter. :confused:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Tias posted:

I finally collected my guts and made a kimchis :iamafag:

However, after just 24 hours it's already bubbling angrily and emitting a horrible smell. I'd taste it, but I'm kinda freaking out :D

Sounds like you did a good job!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hello, spoon goons, I have a question.

I will be making a vegan dinner for a girl I am hoping to impress this weekend. I live in a town with limited food selections, so nothing particularly exotic in terms of ingredients are available. As you may have guessed, the girl is Korean, and really likes food of that type. I'd like to impress her with a decent, authentic, and vegan Korean dish, one that could be made with relatively common ingredients, doesn't rely on soy meat substitutes (being tofu-free entirely would be even better) and that could be made without particularly complicated kitchen equipment.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to dishes I could make?

Doenjang jigae can be made vegan, easy and delicious.

Switch up your gimbap fillings. I find cooked squash and mushrooms to be wonderful additions to gimbap/sushi.

Vegan bibimbap is easy and impressive if you can fake a dolsot! Don't worry about getting the "right" vegetables.

Ddeokbokki with fried tofu or inari, or strips of eggplant, instead of fishcake.

Various banchan: bean sprouts, broccoli quick pickles, blanched spinach, etc.

Cucumbers, daikon, and lettuce leaves cut into bite-size packages and dipped into ssamjang.

Shabu-shabu with a strong mushroom broth and lots of veggies. After the veggies are gone, put noodles or rice in the leftover soup and cook together.

Whole roasted sweet potatoes or chunks of pumpkin.

Ssambap with grilled zucchini instead of meat strips.

All else, fails, put the firmest tofu you can kind in a colander. Put the colander in the sink. Put a saucer on the tofu and a heavy can in the saucer; wait an hour for the water to drain out. Slice and marinade in various Korean liquids. Grill, add to a simple stirfry, or eat cold or warmed-up over cabbage.

Oh! You can buy vegan kimchi at most rich people grocery stores; check Whole Foods.

e:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Sorry, I have nothing against tofu, I guess I just figured it'd be more interesting to do something that didn't require it.

Looking at the general consensus of the thread though, I think you're right, I'd be much more confident cooking something with ingredients I'm familiar with. It's not too hard to adapt stuff I usually make to fit within vegan standards anyway.

You're right; vegetarians and vegans get tofu thrown at them A LOT by people who, while well-meaning, don't know how to cook it. But there are plenty of ways to get around it, and you shouldn't worry.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 23, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

mich posted:

Requote because it hasn't seemed to sink in with the white people.

Tofu is not a meat substitute, it is its own thing that is eaten for its own flavor.

Was this really necessary? I just looked back at the thread and seem to have missed the posts where "white people" argued that tofu is only used as a meat substitute.

Am I not getting the emails from White People HQ?!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pea greens kimchi: good idea, or potentially the stinkiest thing ever? Or both?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

This is literally all the approval I needed. :korea:

e: we need a Korea emoji DAMMIT

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

There is one already. :japan:

:drat:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Someone give me an awesome jjimdalk recipe.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Eeyo posted:

Is gim usually the seaweed (apparently not a seaweed???) added to bibimbap? When I've had it at a restaurant before it's had some seaweed on it but I can't remember if it was that.

Is gim used as a garnish? I've got 8 packets of the roasted with sesame oil stuff so I need to find ways to use it. It's tasty - very savory and slightly oceanic.

Yes and yes! Gim is just nori, the same as sushi seaweed.

Gim is good on:

Eggs!
Pasta with butter!
Feeshes!
Veggables!
ERRTHING

And it ain't half bad on a hot dog, neither.

Oh, and sometimes I use gim in place of lettuce when I eat ssambap.

e: holy poo poo that means "gim bap" but IT'S NOT GIMBAP AAAAAAH

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Soju and fruit vinegar based cocktails? There's a local Korean bar/karaoke place that makes a cocktail that uses a raspberry vinegar and Soju and it's loving delicious, but I haven't been able to watch them make it.

By raspberry vinegar, do you by any chance mean bokbunja?

e: I realize this is a dumb question because you didn't see them make it. My point is, maybe it's bokbunja.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Well, I just learned what a shrub is!

e: aaaaargh for some reason, my latest batch of kimchi is too soft. What can I do with super-soft kimchi besides jigae?

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 13, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Kimchi jeon and fried rice?

Oh, yeah, forgot about kimchi jeon!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Revitalized posted:

Does mild gochujang exist?

I went to a kbbq place and had soybeans in gochujang but it was more sweet than it was spicy, and I couldn't stop eating it. Mixed well with the salad too.

Sounds like regular gochujang to me. Do you usually find it too spicy? You can try mixing in a bit of sesame oil, if it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

If you like straight gochujang, trying eating it on some fresh tofu. It's gooood.

For a salad dressing, though, I'd thin it out.

• Locked thread