Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
How long do rice sticks stay good once opened? Any good recipes that involve them other that dalkgalbi? (which I will TOTALLY make again but am curious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Sorry, I hadn't had time for a while to do this, but now here is my recipe for Soondubu!

This looks amazing! One of the most delicious things I've ever eaten was some sort of "seafood tofu soup" from a Korean restaurant I went into by mistake.

I went in alone looking for some dinner, thinking it was a Thai or pan-asian place (named Tofu house). It was 100% authentic korean, down to the Korean magazines at the counter. It was kinda off-peak hours so no one else was there.

I ordered the "tofu seafood soup". It was red, and chock full of seafood, and had the most delicious, meltingly smooth tofu in it, and just the correct amount of spicy.

It came with an egg, and the very nice Korean lady read my confusion and just dove right in and cracked it into my bowl to cook.

Was this soondubu?

The table was covered by what I know now to refer to as "banchan", dozens of tiny dishes. I wasn't sure what to do with it all ("Eat it? Put it in the soup?") but just dove in and enjoyed all of the little pickled veg, tiny fishes, and more things than I can remember. The waitress came over and gave a surprised "Oh!" which may have been surprise that I enjoyed it, or surprise that I was a pig - either way she came back with yet MORE delicious little things.

She also scraped the rice from my bowl onto a plate, then poured hot tea into the rice dish and scraped it up into a delicious mixture when I was done.

Everything was phenomenal and I think she was amused to have a clueless non-Korean enjoy all the food so much. Really one of the best meals I've ever had.

Hell, I don't know why I haven't gone back (except that it's about an hour bus ride away). I think I'll rent a car and go there for my birthday next week. So good.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I have leftover rice sticks from making dalkgalbi. What can I use them in or eat them with for deliciousness? Last time they just sat in the fridge until they got slimy. :(

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I think I'd need a little more to go off of, as I've never eaten fish cake and am not sure what tteokbokki is.

A recipe would be nice! (I know I can Google for things, but especially when it's something I've never heard of or eaten before, I trust you guys a lot more than the random internet).

Looked up a couple recipes, and they didn't appear to use rice cakes in them, and the idea here is I'd like to use those up.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I found proper rice sticks ONCE at my local Asian grocers (I live a 20 minute walk from 'Little Vietnam' but despite checking 5+ stores I never found them again. Guess I'll need to suck it up and take the 40min bus ride to the Korean grocer, because I've been craving dak galbi. I did find thin sliced rice sticks (shaped like a carrot cut thin on the bias) but it's not the same.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

How is tteokk pronounced, anyways?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

How do you spoon Gochujang out of the container without some always sticking to the spoon? Even if I use that spoon to stir a sauce, some still stays on.

What I do with similarly sticky sauces is to coat the business-end of the spoon with a smidge of oil first, and then the stuff should slide easily off.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Finally managed to locate gochugaru - and now I have a 1lb bag of it.

What should I create?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Appreciated, but I do already have a tub of gochujang.

• Locked thread