Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
loving hell, does anyone know if there's a cheat/debug function or a feasible way to edit a character? I just accidentally shift-clicked 82 gold ore into a full furnace and lost all of it because of that bug. Spent like the last 3 hours mining for that poo poo. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

nerdz posted:

Does the UFO despawn if you don't kill it quick enough? This one was with two bars left and it just went uuuuuup and never came back. I wasnt even cheesing it, I had good enough weapons to damage it.

There's a known dupe glitch by putting an item on the scan slot of the 3d printer and then pressing E. If you have at least one gold you can try it.

A.C. posted:

There's a dupe bug that will let you dupe any item 1 at a time if you have the patience. Basically, just put the item in the scanner in your 3D Printer then press Esc or E, it will close the window and you'll have one more of that item than you did before. If you have even one gold ore or a bar or something left, you could dupe yourself back to where you were.

e;f,b

Phew. I'll try this. Thanks!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I've been playing some multiplayer with a friend. This is our base.

I found an outhouse in an underground Glitch mine, so in true goon fashion we put some poo blocks under it that I found in a sewer. :allears:

edit:

I fixed the poop because it wasn't realistic enough. :colbert:

VV I don't think so, as far as I know it's purely cosmetic. I think it has to do with light level and biome.

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 6, 2013

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

VDay posted:

So I convinced my friend to get this. What's the easiest way for us to play together and for the progress to be "saved" and be persistent?

I was able to just run the server on my computer without any problems. The world is saved automatically. Just make sure you have port 21025 forwarded. When you join your own server, make sure to use your external IP address.

VVV Not yet, it seems.

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 6, 2013

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

VDay posted:

Sorry can I get like the idiot's guide to setting up multiplayer? I forwarded my port and know how to do that, and know my external IP, but making a server through the launcher and then trying to connect to it gives me an error. What am I missing?

Is the server completely up? The first time running it can take a while to generate the world. It should say "shutting down world alpha:" and then a string of numbers when the server is ready, apparently because the world unloads if nobody is playing.

edit:

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Assuming you're hosting on Windows, press Windows key+R, type cmd and press enter, type ipconfig in the command prompt, you connect via your IPv4 address. Everyone else connects via your public IP address (google "my ip").

This doesn't work when I run my server. It's on the same machine but the game crashes if I connect using the internal IP. Only the external works for whatever reason. v:shobon:v

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Anyone having server issues since the patch? I just finished patching and now the server crashes when I try to start it up.

code:
Error: Access violation detected at 0x7712e3be (Read of address 0x74444)
Error: Stack Trace...
  006B26C0 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
  7712E3BE
  7712E023
  74BA98CD
  ... (4)
  006FB7D1 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarBTree.hpp:411)
  006FFABA (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariantDatabase.cpp:17)
  ... (5)
  00401413 (e:\p\giaw\src\pkg\mingwrt-4.0.3-1-mingw32-src\bld/../mingwrt-4.0.3-1-mingw32-src/src/libcrt/crt/crt1.c:254)
  77139F72
  77139F45
I don't even have Starbound installed at C:/starbound, what the hell.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Smoremaster posted:

Anyone having server issues since the patch? I just finished patching and now the server crashes when I try to start it up.

code:
Error: Access violation detected at 0x7712e3be (Read of address 0x74444)
Error: Stack Trace...
  006B26C0 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
  7712E3BE
  7712E023
  74BA98CD
  ... (4)
  006FB7D1 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarBTree.hpp:411)
  006FFABA (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariantDatabase.cpp:17)
  ... (5)
  00401413 (e:\p\giaw\src\pkg\mingwrt-4.0.3-1-mingw32-src\bld/../mingwrt-4.0.3-1-mingw32-src/src/libcrt/crt/crt1.c:254)
  77139F72
  77139F45
I don't even have Starbound installed at C:/starbound, what the hell.

Sorry to quote myself, but I found a fix for this on the Starbound forums that seems to work, so I thought I'd put it here in case anyone else is having the same issue. Go to starbound\assets\server.config and find this line:
code:
"upnpPortForwarding" : true,
Change true to false, and it doesn't crash. I am able to connect to the server, but it's also running on the same computer as my client, so I'm not sure if people will still be able to connect. If that line is not listed in the config (it wasn't for me), you can add that line and it seems to fix it.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I found my first instrument, an electric guitar, so now I'm running around playing the Star Wars theme. Hell yes.

edit: Also, I've read that not only can you play abc files, but can also press keys to get different notes to play, but I can't figure it out. Is this feature actually in the game?

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 6, 2013

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I don't know much about ABC notation. How do you make your character whistle while playing?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

BlueDestiny posted:

How do the person spawners that you can craft from the metal station work? I have one that says it spawns my own guard but nothing seems to happen when I put it down.

I think you need to beam up to your ship and back, and when you return the spawner will be replaced by an npc.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

:3:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Tiy also stated on twitter a few minutes ago that "creature capture" will be in the next patch. I guess this is like taming? Man, I'm really impressed with the speed of development so far. It's pretty nuts.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I wanted to play this piece in Starbound but it wouldn't come out right using a converter, so I did it tediously by hand because I am a giant music nerd and apparently a masochist. It took me around 6 hours to write it all out in abc, get the timing right and figure out all the nuances of abc and Starbound's interpretation of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1CbiuF3g0

It's not perfect, but Starbound can't handle certain abc formatting and tends to interpret chords as arpeggios if you don't use rests at inappropriate moments (who knows), so I had to mess around with it a lot to make it sound decent. I had originally set this entire day aside to play Starbound, but since the wipe is coming I dedicated myself to learning abc for some goddamn reason, what the hell is wrong with me.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Thanks everyone! Since a few people have asked for it, here's the abc file for Asturias.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/180345046/asturias.abc

Hopefully it runs the same on everyone else's computer. I had to do some weird tempo changing and rests in odd places to get around Starbound's glitchy music system. I might improve it a bit tomorrow because there are a few parts that are slightly incorrect where I couldn't figure out how to work around Starbound's unusual interpretation of the music. Enjoy!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Oh my god, Pokemon. This will be amazing. I am F5ing the Starbound page like crazy.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Weapon balancing is done, armor balancing is done, now Tiy is working on bows. Maybe the update will be soon? :suspense:

Where did you read this? Is this the last thing that needs to be done? There aren't that many bows, so hopefully it'll be soon. I have never been so impatient for a game update. Argh!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Jaramin posted:

This may seem like a small thing, but I really wish the launcher would close when the game started, I keep forgetting to close it separately when I save and quit.

Yeah and get rid of that stupid Chucklefish sound. Every time the game crashes it's like he's mocking me.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Tonight's update is currently being compiled and should be uploaded soon.

For exciting compile action, tune in: http://www.twitch.tv/omnipotententity

Erm, isn't what omni doing unrelated to the upcoming patch?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

XkyRauh posted:

Alright, I've got a question for the more .ABC-musically-inclined crowd: I keep seeing all these awesome YouTube videos of arrangements of songs with multiple parts. Before the band starts playing, the player checks their song list and sees "Song - Bass" "Song - Melody" "Song - Harmony" and so on. If I want to make one of these myself, am I correct in thinking I'll have to create multiple .ABC files, one for each part? Or is there a command/line I can put into the file to have it split up within Starbound?

Also: Is playing as a band as simple as everyone whipping out their instruments, putting in the same Band Name, and then clicking "Play" simultaneously/within a small window?

Yes you need multiple ABC files to do songs with more than one part. When you make a band you don't even necessarily need to all hit play at the same time either, you can drop out and start playing again at any point and it will sync you with the group.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

My ship is starting to feel very cozy. :3:

edit: The record player is awesome, it plays some kind of Apex hip-hop. It is glorious.
edit2: Also found an electric bass, now I am running around playing the Seinfeld theme.

Smoremaster fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 11, 2013

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I think I found the best warp music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2KJxikpRuo

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I finally found it. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Does anyone have a decent guide for modding Starbound? I'd like to try my hand at custom items or possibly a custom race, but I don't know where to start.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

To all you modders,

I started working on a custom race, and based it on humans as a template. I got it showing up in the character creation screen, and I can successfully make a character of my new race (which at the moment is mostly just human except for a few variations), but I can't get the skin color to work properly. Whenever I try to modify the colors of the skin tones it defaults to the generic skin tone. I even tried copying over color values from hylotl and avian to see if that would give me interesting colors, but it still only shows one skin tone, the default. I'm editing the "bodyColor" field in the .species file for my race. Is there something else I need to change, or am I doing something wrong?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Gazaar posted:

There's a proper grapple you make a bit later on but it's useless. By the time you can make it you will have found at least one tech and pretty much all of them remove any need for vertical climbing tools.

It may be useless but it's still fun as hell. :colbert:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

If, by the time I finish up my custom race to the point where I'm satisfied with it, no one has made a proper race tutorial, I would be happy to do so. Until then, feel free to ask my any questions and I'll answer it if I can!

I was scrolling quickly but I didn't see an answer to this, and it's something I spent several hours loving around with yesterday. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, but my internet cut out and I didn't see this.

This is what you're editing, right?

Okay, as you can see, mine has a few extras compared to the other races. Behind the comment section up top is "shell", that's just so I can remember what that area of the body is called. You'll also see:

primary : light : medium : dark

Those are your important columns. These determine what colors get replaced with what other colors. By default, if you copy the skin tones from the humans, you should be set as far as body color goes, but I'll go into a little more detail here in case you want to mess around with it further or your problem doesn't go away.

Basically, in each column, you have a Hex value before the comma, and one after. You'll notice the value after the comma is the same in every row, that's because that is the color you'll be overwriting. So you'll want to do a little something like this:

For each color, find the hex value you want to overwrite and replace whatever in that row (after the comma) with it, and do that for every row. The first part of the comma is the new color, so for my third row "light blue", I would be using this:

Go through and do all that for every color. Yeah, it's a pain in the rear end and it takes forever, but whatever. You can usually just copy values from one of the other races.

If that doesn't solve your problem, if you want, you can send me the file and I'll mess around with it.

Thanks a lot, man! This makes perfect sense. I'll see if I can get it working now.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

As much as it's sort of a "furry" race idea, I think a people of animals would make a nice addition. Just throw them all into a single race and cover all options. Hair options would swap out ears and horns, rather than anime hair or what have you. And make them stupid. Borderline Dr. Moreau stuff, the entire race painfully uplifted to a thinking state through some horrible technology, even more mentally childish than the Florans. Just a bunch of barely-sapient creatures given swords and guns and spaceships. More Dr. Moreau than DeviantArt.

HE WHO BREAKS THE LAW GOES BACK TO THE HOUSE OF PAIN.

Holy poo poo, someone do this.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I hope when they add more environment effects that they add some kind of heat meter, like they have now with cold. They could even have race-specific cooling items. I want to play a Glitch and wear a giant heat sink.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Dez Orwell posted:

Of course he he's got a fedora, why wouldn't he?

That's not a fedora. :colbert:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Section Z posted:

glitch secret trap doors

These exist? :aaaaa:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Starbound - Space-Nazis in Space [SS Early Access]

Stop loving talking about Nazis nobody loving cares.

In non-Nazi related news, the first version of my Dead Space mod is finally finished. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the crafting recipes now and then it'll probably maybe be released later today.

Not sure how this is any better than space nazis. Dead Space is stupid.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Looks like tree planting may be in the next version:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Just curious, did they fix the multiplayer item dupe glitch in this patch? I haven't tested it.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Non-existent because they apparently quit this game for some pirate game or something.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I got a question about the actual game, what's the best way to loving survive on a tier-2 planet? I have crappy guns. I need better guns. I have silver armour, but that's it. My energy is only at 125, otherwise, I'd use my shotgun more.

Use a melee weapon, guns are terrible. Or at least they were last time I played.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

My favorite thing about Chucklefish not releasing a stable patch in nearly 6 months is that it's somehow impossible for them to work on the game because there are people who are waiting to get their visas to move to the UK, as if they weren't already working remotely for the entire development. I guess waiting around for paperwork to process is really hard and makes it so you can't do any work.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

I love video game logic where things made of gold are automatically better than things that look silvery, because gold is shiny and coveted.

I guess Minecraft at least made gold picks less durable, but it's hilarious that anyone would even consider making a tool out of gold, the metal that's known for being super malleable and needs to be alloyed to even make jewelry with. I'm waiting for the day some autistic kid raised on Minecraft documents his attempts to make a sword of pure gold or something and it breaks instantly.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Holy poo poo these Chucklefucks still haven't updated the game?

I saw that back in September Tiy said something about wanting Starbound to be open source. This is gonna be another Spacebase DF-9 isn't it? The next update is gonna be 1.0 so they can call it quits and go work on their dumb pirate garbage.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

hur hur everyone needs to uproot their lives and move to the UK for some reason, even if it means im gonna fire half the dev team as a result and then say the lack of progress is because of people waiting for visas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

mutata posted:

lookit this poo poo, they done posted on their blog, hur hur.

• Locked thread