Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Tentatively opening my server (hosted on my own machine) to the public, or at least you fellow goons. Experimenting with keeping it up 24/7 since I leave the PC on anyway, but my friends and I would be happy to have some more visitors. Only "rules" are that if you see someone has made some sort of marker/structure at a planet's beam-in point, it'd be nice if you couldn't go and bulldoze said planet because it's been "claimed".

Anyway, join if you like. IP is 99.252.214.148

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Fintilgin posted:

Can you "claim" an existing hostile structure like the prison and make it your home or will enemies respawn there?

You can claim them, as far as I know.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Does anyone know of a decent, cheap host for a Starbound server? I've found a couple but one is based in the UK (I'm EST) and the other looks to be based our of Germany.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

VDay posted:

Has anybody gotten the star system/planet seed system to work? I've tried entering a few people's coordinates and it never finds anything or goes to the right planet.

Do you have enough fuel?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
COuple questions.

1. Are all characters part of the same universe? Say I wanted to play a different character on my multiplayer server, would it load up the same universe?

2. Have they said a wipe is a definite thing coming, or was their message more along the lines of "something could break when we patch the game, so don't be too surprised if you lose your progress"?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone was asking about a site with ABC files. Here's the one everyone used for Lord of the Rings Online, or at least the placeholder someone put up for it when it got shut down due to neglect: http://www.thefatlute.eu/

PS. Is a wipe happening for sure, or is it just a possibility with the patching?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

It's mostly a warning for if/when a patch ends up changing so much that old saves won't work with it. It wouldn't be surprising to see at least one of them during the beta, but I doubt they would just start wiping characters for any reason other than that. It also helps cover their asses from the vocal people on their forums who can actually read.

Okay, cool. I can live with that. Just some people have been talking as if there was an impending wipe looming over us all, and I doubt I could enjoy playing with that certainty hanging over my head.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any way to make a settlement on an ice planet or moon entirely habitable? Like, so you don't freeze/suffocate when you walk out of a building? As in,a re giant glass domes a thing?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Angry Diplomat posted:

Not yet, as far as I know. There was mention of terraforming being an option in higher tiers, but I don't think we have that yet. Right now you basically just have to set the planet on fire by putting campfires every ten feet.

Darn. I wanted to make a globe-spanning moon city or something, but that just sounds like it'll be a hassle with all the fires.

E: Do the lines on the starmap actually mean anything? I'm seeing both solid lines and dotted lines.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 6, 2013

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What block-type would most fit the description of a space-age structure?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Angry Diplomat posted:

Junk Tech is the weird grimy machinery background in some futuristic dungeons; it looks good for a grody industrial area, if used sparingly. Steel blocks and pressurized steel can also be found in futuristic bases and dungeons, and they look pretty sweet. Wall panels show up sometimes, too, and they have a great "modular construction" look to them.

However you should disregard all of that and build your house out of Tesla Spikes. Your entire house

Are any of these craftable?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Monster w21 Faces posted:

So I've got myself in a pickle. I loaded up my fuel cells with wood and transported to another planet. I've reached the planet but can't beam down, I just return to the teleporter pad. I also don't have enough fuel to go somewhere else. HELP!

You may need to join a multiplayer game and bum some fuel off another player.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ethanol posted:

How do you know saves reset tomorrow?

I don't think the devs have actually said anything that guarantees there will be a reset. People are just being pessimistic. Unless something was said recently that I missed.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rita Repulsa posted:

...I'm just worried about my resources.
If wood and plant fibre aren't renewable it makes things a little nail-biting as I wonder if I'm not going to waste all my potential fuel and fast healing means. And I'm not really sure where to go if I actually used some fuel or if I can obtain gear from my planet or if I need to go places for that.

They are planning to add growing trees/seeds, so chop now and replant later.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

senae posted:

Trees regrow on their own, so do vines. Clearcut the whole drat planet.

Trees definitely don't regrow, or they haven't on any of the three planets I've logged into nothingness.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verviticus posted:

Has anyone tried a server on a home PC? How well has it worked?

I found I could run a full terraria server pretty easily and I'm wondering if the load is about the same.

I hosted a server on my own PC last night and had 4-5 people connected for a time with nobody experiencing any lag. My machine is also a dinosaur with how old the parts are, but my internet is pretty good, so..

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Stew Man Chew posted:

Anybody mentioned the huge multiplayer bug where sometimes if you party up, the leader's button won't let you warp to his ship? It replaces his name with my name and kicks me to my ship when I try to click it :(

Makes getting together and from place to place very hard.

A friend and I solved that by having whoever it was having the UI error exit and restart the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm hoping they add custom signs or the ability to have NPCs/objects display custom text down the road.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verviticus posted:

I dont know why but i really prefer the thought of the system in place with a hundred levels of monsters instead of easy/medium/hard and massive health numbers

If you'd played it you'd understand why simpler is better.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If the host of a multiplayer server has a mod, do all those connecting to them need it too?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Varinn posted:

Replying to someones list of reasonable complaints with "Ugh, its just a beta, dude!!!" is beyond useless. The whole point of the beta is to discuss what works and what doesn't, even if those things are core mechanics. We're super lucky that Tiy and co. seem to be pulling a reverse notch and are actually willing to completely overhaul big systems, so instead of saying "dont complain, itll be fixed later!! beta!!" instead discuss the reasons why stuff works or doesn't!

Except most of the complaints are quality of life things that can be added when the games major systems are fixed and set in stone first.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ess posted:

XP bug? I wasn't aware this game even had XP.

I think they mean Windows XP.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Varinn posted:

It is when the core mechanic is "theres infinite worlds!" and all the worlds function exactly the same.

These are the sorts of things that can be worked on after the game itself is working and most of the content is in. What they have now is more than good enough for the stage they're at.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rocketlex posted:

Okay, so launching the game in Safemode (from right clicking in the Steam Library) keeps it from crashing every time I beam down to the planet. It also bypasses the launcher and opens the game directly.

I have no idea what's going on. I assume it's because I use Vista that all this is happening.

Does the Steam overlay work for you? How did you get it to launch in safemode, exactly?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rocketlex posted:

Quick Tip: If you don't wanna mess around with the game files, this is another way to make the game much more stable and smooth. The characters that were crashing when I tried to beam down are all working fine now.

Weird. I don't have that option.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ShadowMar posted:

If you wanna convert MIDI files to ABC for Starbound, this program gave me the best results.

https://code.google.com/p/lotromidiplayer/downloads/detail?name=LotroMidiPlayer-1.1.0.5.jar&can=2&q=label%3AStandaloneVersion

I used this for LOTRO and I'd agree that this is probably the best of the programs.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
After experiencing how generic the human responses are to, well.. everything.. I've decided to make my post-wipe character something else, and now I'm torn between fishdude and monkeydude.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dezztroy posted:

What was that application people suggested for making .abcs out of midis?

https://code.google.com/p/lotromidiplayer/

E: Just woke up. We have any idea when the patch is hitting yet?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Switched.on posted:

Considering how simple it is to edit the starting chest to give you anything you wanna start with, I'm surprised anyone cares at all about "losing" progres.

For me its less about losing character progress and more about losing anything I might spend hours building.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
All of these file mods just seem like cheating to me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

An Unoriginal Name posted:

There's a lot of examples of it being pretty cheap but I'm really glad that they made it so open, looking at a few things that have come out of it so far. The fact that, as far as I know, two mods have been seen by Tiy and are being implemented as actual parts of the game (pixel banking, "toxic" biomes) is really cool and actually a pretty good way to get ideas of what people want to see added to the game. I only worry that their scope broadens too far but hey, I know nothing about game development and I'm sure they know what they're doing.

I don't plan on using any mods but I can appreciate what some people are doing to make the game more enjoyable to them.

I was more referring to the people changing the MM so it gathers ore at the speed of light, start their games with chests full of goodies, turn on god mode, etc.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Genocyber posted:

How is that at all bad? Seriously, it's a primarily singe player game the point of which is to do what you want.

If cheating gets disabled in multiplayer I'd have no complaints.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Underwhelmed posted:

It's only a matter of time before the bronies start making GBS threads up the place...

There is a brony "clan" on the official forums and their thread has like 5000 posts.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Smoremaster posted:

Yes you need multiple ABC files to do songs with more than one part. When you make a band you don't even necessarily need to all hit play at the same time either, you can drop out and start playing again at any point and it will sync you with the group.

How do you make a band, exactly? Just join a party?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I have a fairly ancient PC and was able to host a server with 4-6 people and nobody was experiencing any lag whatsoever, so..

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Are they planning to do a quick patch to fix the weapon damage/wipe again, or will we be waiting a few days like the last one?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Underwhelmed posted:

I would not want to be the community manager for Chuckle Fish's forums right now, or really ever. I wouldn't even want to meet meet one of them, I cannot imagine what sort of dried out husks of humanity they would be after even one day dealing with one of the most toxic fan bases imaginable.

Right now it's mostly being flooded with "birds too OP, game is dead" and "where my character go".

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone on their forums mentioned that there had already been a way to convert characters from pre-wipe to the new patch discovered. Anyone know anything about this?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I don't get the people on the official forums who say there's no reason to build anything because you have your ship. What about for fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's nothing wrong with sandbox play but the whole appeal of Terraria is that it's Minecraft with actual goals and progression; of course people want goal-oriented reasons to do things.

Reacting to that with "OH MY GOD THEY ARE ALIEN HORRORS THAT HATE FUN" just makes you as nearsighted and unable to parse other people's tastes as they are.

Isn't the whole idea of a sandbox game that you can pretty much do what you want without being explicitly told?

• Locked thread