Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Varinn posted:

I'm saying that as someone who avoided Starbound news until right when I downloaded it and launched it, that the entire first five minutes feels like a rug dropping down on you. The new player experience is that, yes, you get the little blurb in the beginning about how you're a survivor/outcast/whatever, but the first thing you do is get your matter manipulator from your spaceship locker and use your teleporter to beam down! This is hype! This feels rad!

And then I have to make a crafting table, a pickaxe and an axe, and then I put away my scifi omnitool for the foreseeable future, make a terraria house, and it's super depressing.

This all sounds like I'm super critical of the game, I'm not! I really love this game so far, and exploring and stuff is super fun, and the tiers PAST that are fun and show massive promise. It's just that the first tier is not providing a good new player experience at all, and getting this feedback is the ENTIRE point of a beta.

To me, having the first tier be a terraria-minecraft-ish kind of thing just makes me more hyped for what is to follow. Personally I really felt like a survivor rather than an adventurer to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure other explorers might have found this out, but what's the with Activateable Banana statue in the Apex towns that has a keyhole in it?

Obscure internet reference to Banana Lock.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Why are you doing all this crazy beautiful cosmetic poo poo when the shadow of another reset looms large?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

boo_radley posted:

Is there a higher tier furnace? I have a shitload of titanium I need to do things with, faster.

I'd love to see some Technic-style automation modded in, it seems like logical progression!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
They're ants, so a digging bonus would probably fit best shark suit optional

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Glitch and Avians do not like visitors in their castles and tombs, respectively. And there's a Florian area where both the guys that are supposed to be assholes to you and the guys you'd think might help you out both try to murder you with equal assholery, so.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Ok guys here is the super secret first tiny part of my Skelly race.

poo poo that is in:
  • Male and Female Skeletons
  • All animations except climbing 'cos I don't think that is in and I am lazy
  • A Race Icon
  • Bone and Eye Socket colours
  • Hair
  • Namegen (I got "Skull Skull")
  • Some intro Fluff

poo poo you'll need:
:siren:THIS MOD:siren:

poo poo I want to add:
  • A skull ship
  • Racial gear (it's all default human stuff atm)
  • NPCs
  • Skeleton Puns
  • Item descriptions, though that might be suuuper annoying to do.
  • EDIT: Proper emotes!

So please you rad dudes, give it a shot, and send me screens because I totally need 'em!

Oh also let me know if any pixels are sticking out from under clothes, especially with the female Skellies. I think I got most of them!

Also yes I'm calling them Skellies.

Edit: Fixed the starter sword not showing up.

Their ship needs to be the spaceship equivalent of a Ghost Train after Xibit gets his hands on it.

They are also going to need a death animation that is literally them collapsing into a pile of bones.

Finally, if it's possible to make their racial weapons into literal extensions of their arm that can be hotswapped in and out as necessary, it must be done.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I find Terraria and Starbound to be completely different experiences. Terraria feels more like a retro game, Starbound feels more exploratory and less about progression down a set path.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Quarians would be a great race to mod in, were it not for the Tali situation.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Rutkowski posted:

Quarians look like pale humans with glowing eyes and implants to synch them with their suits, basically. Or, at least Tali and that one in one of the endings did.

I'd say that they can have their non-clothed state like the rest and give them the racial armor bonus of breathing in air and some heat reduction maybe?

I like this idea, just have them die rapidly from atmospheric exposure and take absurd damage from everything should they have the audacity to take off their suit on a planet.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Once in a while you get an Ideas Guy that actually follows through.

I loving love those people.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Shoehead posted:

creepy succubus girls mod

Seriously?

Are there at least creepy incubus boys to go along with them?

Would that be better or worse?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Feenix posted:

I know a couple of the Starbound team post here... just was in the shower today wondering if there's even a ROUGH ballpark for PS4 version? (It runs ok on my Mac but not perfect, and I like gaming on consoles.)

I know narrowing a time-frame is hard, but are we talking... "in 2014" or "you better play it on your Mac because we haven't even started thinking about that yet and you're looking at late 2015 at the earliest!"

:)

Why would you ever want to play this on a console? Half the fun is the mods.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

people just angry that an alpha game is an alpha

This.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I feel like it should have mascara too.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Being "excited, disappointed and then angry" over $15 does in fact make you a twat.

Go ahead, point out a time you were misled and blatantly lied to! Should be fun.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
The issue is the obnoxious minority looking at a game's turbulent development and launching personal attacks at the developers, spending exponentially more than $15 in effort just to smear the hard-working if naive and inexperienced dev team. That's what sickens me. It seems like it's impossible to voice concern or disappointment without some frothing neckbeard spluttering about promises this and lies that.

It's really loving hard to maintain an objective view of your own work when it's constantly being shat on, and finding helpful, objective feedback is made so much harder when it's surrounded by middle-class white noise.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
...an anagram of Novakid is Dovakin.

I am now convinced that their inception is purely down to someone thinking what a funny word Dovahkiin (or however it's spelt) is.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Squeegy posted:

It would at least shield them from people like this:

Yes, I am clearly the worst poster on this page.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

There will be peace in the Middle East before this is finished.

And by finished I mean when they slap "1.0" on an unstable build and leave the mess for modders to finish.

Worked out ok for minecraft.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Also, Nuclear Throne and Don't Starve were/are pretty great.

However, Godus and Spacebase DF-9.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Tengames posted:

this is why the mod that lets you build your ship is the best mod for this game. Making a giant space station full of different exhibits of stuff I looted from various planets is the one thing this game did much better then terraia and minecraft ever will. they should seriously ust scrap the dumb ship upgrading and make the ship building mod standard(or just make an unlockable "custom" option.)

Also while combat is still techically a discussion, are the attack animations really still so stiff? It doesn't look like the character's body moves at all when they're swinging a weapon, which just looks terrible. Even if its just them leaning thier torso forward a pixel while swinging or having their arm recoil from shots, they should be moving somewhat.

It's how one-dimensional the combat is that gets me. I mean look at Shovel Knight, you have a loving shovel for a weapon and yet the combat in that feels so much more satisfying than anything in Starbound. There's no reason why they couldn't give melee weapons a charge attack, or the guns alternate firing modes that don't use the stupid energy bar, or the staves something other than point and click spells. But instead of actually adding depth to it they're so focused on the numbers, and what little imagination there is goes into monkey cheese poo poo like llamas in hummers and beach balls which nobody gives a gently caress about.

The Kitchen Sink method of game development only works when the game has a clear idea of what it wants to be, aside from "everything".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Should just make dirt, stone, mud, all the crap you don't want super fast to mine, and keep the ores and special biome stuff at the current speed.

Then you can zip through all the boring poo poo.

• Locked thread