Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I love how the posters here are so relaxed and actually talk about things, even stuff they dislike, in such an awesome way.
I hate myself for having stuck to the Steam forum for so long.. The people there are awful to say the least.

Anyway, anyone know a really good mod pack that I could use to keep myself entertained while we wait for the official stable update? And whats with this "secret SA goon sub forum" people keep mentioning over on Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Any decent goon-made or goon-endorsed mod packs out for Starbound?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

nvining posted:

... actually, we got the idea from the Starbound roadmap. :allears:

Obligatory (since this is the starbound thread afterall) What?! A picture of a CAT?! Taking that picture is time you could have spent CODING!

Also: Cute cat :D

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Starbound is an amazing game. Far better than the 90% of the games on steam. Hell, it's still on the top 100 most played list. I'm gonna go starbate again.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I'm really excited for the upcoming patch. Mostly because it will shut parts of the community up who turn the steam forums into poo poo for atleast a few days. But there's a couple hate crusaders on there that will bitch about anything.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Considering that the starboard devs are doing it in a way that awesome, I feel like your stealing THEIR idea.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I think they should add some forum-themed biome with mobs appropriate to each. The SA biome should even get the secret forum sub biome just to piss people off.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Man... Hadnt logged into steam in like 3 weeks. Had 32 items queued to download. Thought "starbounds gotta be in there!" and so I looked and it wasn't. I was actually sad :(

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ive gotten 200 hours out of starbound. Well worth my money and I will continue to support ChuckleFish because it's an awesome game.

risk of rain is also awesome.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ive come to the conclusion that most of you don't deserve the awesome that is starbound. I think most of you deserve a good starpounding for being terrible posters.

But seriously, when the update hits I know the majority of you neckbeards will be elbow deep in the new content for a month and talk about how awesome it is until your thumbs bleed. Then you will complain because mod makers aren't working fast enough and somehow this will be ChuckleFish' fault for not giving you a handy while you play because some diety forbid you play 1 handed for a while.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Soral posted:

greetings. combat in dark souls is very deep and every single encounter, every single enemy in the first 4/5ths of that game is very carefully balanced around expected usage of the stamina meter. starbound is a lovely 2d fart around game where enemies damage you by bumping into you, and nothing is balanced around anything because everything is randomly generated. this is probably the shittiest devils advocate argument you could have made and it makes you sound like you have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about (you probably dont). farewell.

Or perhaps hes a genius and you fail to understand the true meaning of his point. Your position requires one to reach Neckbeard Rank 2 status to understand and few, even here on SA, have achieved that.

Neckbeard 2: The really bad beard.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Iirc because it was opposed to their cool plan of making ores being gated behind better picks/manipulator upgrades or something. We can let little johnny get this rock of fartmetallium from sand surfing! He hasn't even made the pissaluminum upgrade yet!

I'm sad that it's gone and will be cross with chucklefish until this assault on fun has been redeemed

probably never

Appropriate self quote

give it like 3 days after the stable update and modders will have sand mining back in again.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Enzer posted:

I know right. :v:

But again, I'm the fool who bought Cube World. So as far as I'm concerned Chucklefish is updating at blazing speeds! :downs:

I bought that too. Out my 530 games on steam, 20 on origin, and countless others... Cube world was my only real disappointment.. That and Towns.. gently caress towns and xavi with a spiked baseball bat.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I'm really liking what's going on with development so far. The idea of dynamic had elements and menu screens is a huge leap above other games as most have static poo poo.

I bet the unstable build hits the 20th and then the stable build on the 25th as an awesome Christmas present.

But, even if that happens the same shitposters will cause a storm of poo poo puffs because the world wasn't handed to them on a 2gig flash drive or something

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

Likes Fenris AND Dragon Age 2.

aaaAAAAAAA

Dragon age 2 was amazing story wise. Hated the recycling of the same 2 scenes though. Beautiful game overall. What's fenris?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I completely forgot about the gay elf. But then again I used anders, the varric, and shayle for companions and never switched em.

If only starbound had an awesome varric character. We could have... Stardwarves. And stargays. I mean star elves. Man I should get into game development. I'd be star rich.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Hahaha that blog holy poo poo

They really have absolutely no idea what they're doing

At least their ideas are better than your posts.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

This thread has become the tumblr of SA. All you hatekin othersissies should learn that treating people poorly is awful. The starkin otherfaggots get really sad when you insult the triggerkin. They are a very sensitive bunch prone to committing starmutilation on themselves and tend to starpound their children and family members.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Im gonna stab you

You know what Mommy Blogger? Bring it. Bring all your otherkin bronypals cause youl need some help.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Falsum posted:

No that's still TV/IV

manpain

I don't think I've ever visited that thread. I'll have to go take a look when I have more time.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Something something this game sucks balls and so do chucklefucks

To all the people who shitposts this thread:
http://youtu.be/670if6Etx0o
I hope your all happy.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

Chucklefish cant dig its way out of PR Nightmares

There was no pr nightmare. Just a bunch of mouth breathers who don't know what early access actually means.

To top it off the ones who pre-ordered before steam early access were given 2 months to back out but were to busy huffing farts to be bothered and then double-frothed when they couldn't get one anymore.

Basicly Chucklefish did no wrong. People are bad and if you notice the vocal minority amounts to about 10 people per forum base who trash starbound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Man Whore posted:

I always said I was only making GBS threads on the game because I haven't seen poo poo in 8 months.

But now I've seen poo poo so I am cool.

This person is made of awesome and amazing.

I always knew the update would be freaking amazing so my hopes stayed high. Unless the pulls a Xavi/Towns nothing can ruin my starboner for starbound

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Soral posted:

they would have to be to put up with this lovely game

Just like the SA community must be awesome to deal with your lovely posts?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Don't worry SuperNorn, there are still many who believe in you guys. I am patiently waiting for this update. Just tell whoever thought of the whole "IT NEEDS TO TAKE FOR loving EVER TO KILL poo poo :D!!!!!!!!!" that they need to get bit by a goose. Right in the dick. If they dont have one, then right in the tit.

Other than that, im really looking forward to everything! The info looks awesome :D If you guys do good enough, i might even try and send you guys cookies or something. Might being the key word there. I am pretty lazy, so dont get mad if it doesnt happen :(

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tiy, Norn, any other devs who may see this: Thank you! This patch is proving to be pretty awesome. Really enjoying the new content so far. Cant wait to fill friends ships with poison though. or lava maybe. one of them.

Its kinda the same thing i want to do to most of the people in this thread actually. ... So, when is the goon server gonna go up?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

No, but try reading the post.
I expect games to break throughout the development process, I expect them to be loving working when a "stable" patch comes out and if enemies are not fixed and the general public has to suffer through this unkillable first boss do you really think that's gonna bode well for anyone?

Not anymore after this it's gonna be thick and fast you'll see

Unkillable first boss? Do you seriously suck at this game or something? I havnt had a single problematic area up until this floren prison dungeon on a frozen world. I'm at the aegisalt/violium/something else tier. I've killed quite a few bosses with no problems. Havnt even touched a gun. Melted them all with melee.

Get better at the game before you complain about it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Why would you laugh? The guns are awful. I have yet to find one thats decent. Keep finding lovely ones with super high fire rates which means they will do poo poo damage becuase of how npc armor works.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Maybe you shouldn't talk poo poo when you literally don't even know what you're talking about?

The first boss in stable does not exist in the nightlies, he's talking about this

Im playing the current Unstable. I started last night when i got home from work, those zombies are really easy to kill with melee. Those first ones i destroyed with a 2 hander. After you get hit twice, you run around while using BANDAGES to heal. Simple strat. If you fail at that place then you suck.

I died once in there becuase i pulled a stupid and jumped off a high ledge with super low health while dodging one. Went back in and killed everything. Simple.

Edit: For Victrix: Ook, bad choice of wordage for me. What i should have said was "I havnt used a gun past the first one i got, then read what Tiy said about them and what everyone else said, realized how lovely they were unless you get a REALLY high damage slow shooting one, and have yet to find one."

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

The Mech penguin is a pretty fun fight. Pretty simple though.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I asked a question about combat on the ama and got a response about that boss...

How was it, in this regard? Were its attacks more predictable than those of regular enemies? (in a good way)

Yeah definitely. The fight was relatively easy because of it unless you make stupid mistakes. I can live with that. Almost died with the boss at 0 bars of health because i said "gently caress it" and kept attacking when i should have been healing.

The only boss ive been annoyed with though has been the Penguin Pirate ship. It hits really hard and takes so little damage. Half its attacks dont have wind ups of any kind and its just a nuisance. If i had a good gun it probably would have been easier. But shields are the key. I suck at getting the parry, but the shield saved my rear end.

edit: The Mech fight was one of the most enjoyable because it allowed you to actually defend yourself effectively, making it a risk/reward kinda fight it you wanted to kill it fast.

2nd edit: So.. i just hit full Impervium gear. Still havnt found anything relating to ship upgrades. Also just maxed out my Matter Manipulator. ... I want my ship upgrades got damnit.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 21, 2014

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rrussom posted:

Grim Creap'd again

Glad i could be of service. Im not quite sure what i did, butt it must have been awesome!

If anyone finds out how to do ship upgrades without admin commands, please share!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

A Lamer posted:

Unless they hosed something up in the last week, finish your outpost quests. More unlock after you've completed the last, along with a ship upgrade, and you should have them before impervium.

Then im pretty sure either my character got hosed up somehow or they botched something becuase i did every outpost quest.

Fak edit: Just checked my quest log. appearently i forgot to make a floran a jacket. ill check that one out and see if it leads somewhere.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

A Lamer posted:

Yeah, you need to do that one and any that come after. The ship upgrade quests come from the pirate stand behind the outpost. It'll have the standard quest exclamation mark.

Awesome, thanks :)

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

You fuckin suck

but i love you the same way i love Starbound D: I want to Starpound your Starinbound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Awesome work poo dude!

Based on what youve seen, is it gonna take a lot of work to get mods up and running again?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Im sure some of those modders will come back pretty soon. Kinda surprises me that the functionality for extra races wasnt baked into the standard ui already. But CF is busy working on things, so it may happen eventually.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Your posts are the huge log coming out of my rear end as I type this

Well, atleast they are huge logs coming out of something. Could be far worse, like liquid spraying everywhere but the toilet in a massive attempt to seriously piss off a team of janitors or something.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Can't wait to give your mod a shot. Always a fan of more options. I want info on shoehead's mod.

Shoehead, why aren't you as transparent as babemagnet? Give us info. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Man Whore posted:

I just want to say gently caress the moon mission and gently caress the person who gave the enemies that spew attack.

The whole mission took me about 15 minutes, 45 bandages or so, and a good 1hander and shield.

• Locked thread