Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I really like the flashlight effect. Please tell me you can strap one to a hat to make a miners helmet and explore with the flashlight on and a weapon out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Can you "claim" an existing hostile structure like the prison and make it your home or will enemies respawn there?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
WHERE THE gently caress IS THE PAUSE KEY? :mad:

Singleplayer mode needs a pause key. Period.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

At the very least, quitting and reloading shouldn't bring you back to your spaceship.

It's infuriating when games do this. I think Terraria also initially had no way to pause. Some of us are only playing single-player and we have grown up lives, involving wives, children, pets, etc. We need to be able pause and walk away from the computer sometimes.

I dropped Path of Exile because this annoyed me so much.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm sure that complaining won't change anything... but why is there a hunger mechanic in this game? I like the heat bar. That constrains my movement in interesting ways, makes torches matter more, and makes me pick equipment for more than one stat.

But the hunger bar is just a waste of my time.

I agree. At the moment it seems a bit of waste of time. It's trivial to get food.

I assume it will eventually act as an alchemy system or something? Cooked foods as potions. Like spicy food will give you a speed boost, deserts heal you, or something like that?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
My plan to just play a little and not pick it up again until release has turned into 21 hours of playtime. :negative:

I want two things for release:

1.) Sandbox spaceship to become default. It's awesome and the way the game should be. Add some frilly 'spaceship spines' or whatever to decorate the outside.

2.) A Pause Key. Please, for the love of all that is good and decent in the world, let us pause in single-player! Please, please, please. It's so frustrating to not be able to get up and walk away and do real world stuff without kludgy poo poo like boxing yourself in and hoping you don't starve. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I hope the backpack lantern uses the flashlight 'shadow' effect, it's very atmospheric.

I'm surprised torches don't, but maybe it impacts performance to have a ton of lights tracing light that.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

2 Track EP posted:

Someone linked a mod earlier in the thread that turns your ship in to a sandbox, around 250-300 posts ago.

Here's mine right now:

e: http://puu.sh/5I97c Here's the download link pulled from my chrome downloads history, unfortunately I don't have a link to the mod creator's post on the starbound forums.

Once again, this is how it should work in the full game. Just add some spaceship exterior decorative bits like spines and technofluff to stick on and you're all set.

You're starting ship just feels so hilariously cramped, and even if they do have a progression of larger ships through the story, premade shells will never be as fun as making your own.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It would also be fun if occasionaly, instead of a planet there was sometimes a space station you could dock with. Some of them would just be small places to trade and buy supplies, but some of them would be abandoned derelicts full of monsters, or carved out of an asteroid, or something cool like that. Basically just a mini dungeon map in space.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rails SDMM posted:

A page too late, but I thought I'd mention the dungeon editor I'm writing. The plan is to remove the hassle/tedium of manually editing the dungeon's colour map and JSON files. It'll make creating your own dungeons infinitely easier. Here's a WIP screenshot:

I should have a working test version out before the start of next week.

I just want to say that you are doing Holy Work here.

I imagine some of the coolest mods will be a big community collection of dozens or hundreds of new dungeons/random buildings.

I don't feel very creative about my own, in-game houses, but I'm definitely interested in giving this a go.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
How do you craft the lantern backpack? I don't see it any of my crafting stations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ShadowMar posted:

The lantern backpack requires 15 iron bars, 10 wood, 500 pixels and is done at the crafting table and is available when you reach Tier 2 according to the game's files.

Huh. I've got that and I'm in Tier 2, but I can't craft it.

I can craft a lantern but no sign of a lantern backpack.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pylons posted:

Try remaking the MK2 starmap and using it again.

Yeah, that did it. "Lantern on a stick"

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Backpack lantern is pretty good. Get's rid of some of the torch monotony. Hope there's a brighter version we can craft later, it's a little dim.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Maybe it's on purpose, but has anyone else noticed the 'random building' code is sort of... clumpy? Like if I encounter the frog merchant underground on a planet, and go dig somewhere else on the same planet, chance are I'll... find another frog merchant instead of something completely different.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
There's no point in saving all the weapons I don't want that drop in (say) the prison, is there? I can never sell them or feed them into my Mr. Fusion fuel input or anything? Might as well just trash them all?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AndroidHub posted:

Does anyone know if a mod exists or how hard it would be to make it so that you can scan special blocks (like high-tech blocks for instance) and then replicate them for very little or free? Because I really want to mess around with the sandbox ship mod, but I would rather not build my ship out of cobblestone or wood. And with the rarity of the blocks I want to use and how slow it is to mine out any special blocks, it's really killing my enthusiasm.

I really wish they would turn any block you harvested in a generic 'matter' resource. Then you'd have a sub-screen for the manipulator that let you choose from any type of block that you had previously harvested and they'd all have a 'matter cost' and let you choose from a color palette to pick what you're going to actually place.

So instead of having 1256 yellow sand, 958 blue cobblestone, 643 blue mud, 1451 red sand, 725 brown dirt, 126 white tech wall, etc etc etc, I'd just have, say 40,000 'matter'. Sand might cost 1 matter to place, dirt and cobblestone 2, tech walls 10, etc etc, and I could change the color I was placing at any time on the manipulator sub screen.

More fun, less micro, more creativity, less fuss and bother, better in all ways.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Attention Horse posted:

Oh god someone please make some oldschool Xcom armors :aaa:

Flattop hair is a necessity in any case.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Evilreaver posted:

The first sign I remember going wrong was "It will take a full minute to warp places". People said "won't that become kinda tedious after a while? Well maybe we can mod it out" and CF doubled down, making it almost impossible to mod out (on a highly mod-capable platform). But in practice, that didn't turn out so bad, right...?

Is that actually a thing? I always figured the long warp time was a clever way of hiding the fact that it has to generate a new world.

But I only played ~20 hours on release and am waiting for the (someday eventual) full release to play again, so I've missed 98% of the drama. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I didn't know they removed sand mining. That was fun. :smith:

Contacting Steam to demand refund now. Class action incoming? :supaburn:

• Locked thread