Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Why is everyone so dismayed at the survival part of a sandbox survival game? Isn't starting out with jack and clawing your way up to eventually be a tiny God the whole point of the genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Nomikos posted:

OK, trapped the tier 3 boss and killed it, unlocked the X Sector, and am busily racing towards the end of the tech tree. Gone through Durasteel, Aegisalt, and Ferozium so far. No more new crafting recipes so far except more melee weapons, basic furniture, and racial armor, so I guess they weren't lying when they said the higher-tier stuff isn't enabled/implemented.

:v:

Let me guess, you've been awake since 9:59 am PST yesterday?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

I'm curious about the lack of functionality to sell anything to vendors. Is it to preserve game balance, or just not in yet? What's the most efficient way I can get rid of stuff like old weapons I don't use anymore, just stick them in the trash? Is there any way to at least break down items you don't need anymore?

Dirty Job posted:

So for some reason I can't cook meat. Am I doing something wrong?

Press E when next to a campfire or cooking stove. Always press E if you 're not sure of what something does or how to use it, at the very least the game will give you a dialog box or tooltip indicating what the object is. As a side note, I should have done this when I came upon a spinning vertical metal capsule that looked like one of the capsules that you can break for pixels, except larger. I walked up to it, pressed E, and it promptly emitted poison gas, killing me instantly.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 6, 2013

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

Do my items from the first game carry over to the sequel?

What sequel?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

limbohead posted:

I had awful fps until I did this: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html

Just remember to restart steam after you do it.

I don't think I ever got a message saying Steam was going to get compatibility settings applied to it, but I am running on Win7 x64, and all the tricks I've tried so far to help improve FPS have been marginal at best. Gonna give this a go when I get home tonight, thanks for posting!

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Are there hotkeys for healing items? I know in Terraria it was "H" used your highest tier potion. I tried "H" yesterday with bandages in my hotbar but it did nothing.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

Same. I know people say it's not optimized, but should it seriously be sitting in the 1 to 5 FPS range? I can't even try to explore underground because it lags out too badly to even really move all that well.

Yep - same here, seems to be just lucky system configurations that get the game at a good FPS. Mine is pretty unplayable. Might shelve this for a couple weeks until the optimization updates start coming in.

So far I've tried:

1.) Disabling Steam Overlay
2.) Launching Steam as Administrator
3.) Launching Starbound as Administrator
4.) Launching the Starbound Open GL exe as Administrator
5.) Playing at a lower resolution
6.) playing in windowed mode with a shrunk window
7.) Trying this random thing: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html

Nothing's worked :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

:siren: Low FPS FIX :siren:

Someone posted this earlier in the thread and it worked for me, no idea how. Just BE SURE you restart steam after you delete the key. I forgot to restart Steam and thought it didn't work at first.

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html

• Locked thread