Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Official petition to destroy Caveman Tier starts on the ground floor!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Anyway, continuing the discussion from the last thread, I just don't think the first tier fits at ALL tonally with the rest of the game. Having crude scifi machinery and camping equipment or SOMETHING would feel so much more in line with the rest of the game than Literal Minecraft Progression.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Clocks posted:

I haven't read up on the backstory, but presumably you are either escaping / a stowaway / setting out on this tiny rear end ship to god knows where. The only things you have with you are this matter manipulator you find, a weapon, and some seeds. The 3D printer isn't loaded with any useful things you could create and you didn't bring any tech with you. It makes sense that the matter manipulator you have now might not be some super duper high tech one from back home or whatever. Even more, it's easier to use technology when you already have it than when you have to make it. I know how to use a flashlight, but I sure as hell don't know how to build one. So starting out with more basic tools and eventually working your way up works even in a lore/immersion sense.

So the complaints seem to be -- we have to use pickaxes! To mine ore! Why can't it be more scif-fi!

I mean, I guess whatever floats your boat. I don't mind the standard progression and Tiy has made it clear higher tiers (that are not currently implemented) will have cooler sci-fi stuff. Hell, aren't guns technically tier 2 or tier 3? That's not very far removed from the beginning.

The ~story justification~ doesn't matter, because you can change it to justify ANYTHING, it's about the gameplay. You mention that the sci-fi stuff 'comes later on', but why shouldn't the sci-fi stuff be in the sci-fi game from the get-go?

Again, before someone thinks I'm arguing against progression, I'm not. I want Sci-Fi Progression instead of a weird Pseudo-Terriarcraft Progression before the real one starts.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

dijon du jour posted:

Alright, let's go with this. Where should it start? What should be the first proper mining tool you make?

It's already in my hands! It's called the Matter Manipulator, and I shouldn't have to set it down for anything made of stone, copper, or iron imo.

edit: But honestly, this is against the point. I'm not a starbound dev, I'm giving my Beta Impressions as a Beta Tester.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I'm saying that as someone who avoided Starbound news until right when I downloaded it and launched it, that the entire first five minutes feels like a rug dropping down on you. The new player experience is that, yes, you get the little blurb in the beginning about how you're a survivor/outcast/whatever, but the first thing you do is get your matter manipulator from your spaceship locker and use your teleporter to beam down! This is hype! This feels rad!

And then I have to make a crafting table, a pickaxe and an axe, and then I put away my scifi omnitool for the foreseeable future, make a terraria house, and it's super depressing.

This all sounds like I'm super critical of the game, I'm not! I really love this game so far, and exploring and stuff is super fun, and the tiers PAST that are fun and show massive promise. It's just that the first tier is not providing a good new player experience at all, and getting this feedback is the ENTIRE point of a beta.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Caveman tier would make more sense to me if your ship wasn't available/functioning at the star. Maybe get it back/repair it at the end of the tutorial quest line?

Yeah, if the caveman tier is REALLY important to the devs for whatever reason, then it needs to be made more reasonable to someone starting the game up blind. That's a good idea, or even just making your ship hella busted or SOMETHING.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Mental Midget posted:

Why is everyone so dismayed at the survival part of a sandbox survival game? Isn't starting out with jack and clawing your way up to eventually be a tiny God the whole point of the genre?

Because there are better ways to implement that survival? You aren't actually reading the points here.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

A public beta is for giving impressions of how the game plays and feels, y'all. You can relax, I'm sure the starbound devs can handle feedback about stuff without a bunch of people reciting lore entries.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

OneTwentySix posted:

Is there anything I can do about the horrible lighting situation when digging? If I'm using a two-handed weapon or the pick and accidentally break into an area, I have to quick put down a torch and if there's a monster present, I'm generally dead before I can get that far (since I might have taken fall damage). The flashlight is nice, but I don't really use any one-handed weapons.

Also, is there any way to use two techs at the same time? I have the dash and the double jump, but can only use one.

Torches, I guess? They'll keep you warm too.

edit: ahahaaha incredible

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Right now weapons are literally "higher AP = better" so I don't know how adding a raw DPS stat is simplifying that or whatever.

Considering how long we've had the beta, its pretty crazy how people feel so attached to the arcane current system. Just because they're making it simpler doesn't mean its not gonna be worse, y'all.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Replying to someones list of reasonable complaints with "Ugh, its just a beta, dude!!!" is beyond useless. The whole point of the beta is to discuss what works and what doesn't, even if those things are core mechanics. We're super lucky that Tiy and co. seem to be pulling a reverse notch and are actually willing to completely overhaul big systems, so instead of saying "dont complain, itll be fixed later!! beta!!" instead discuss the reasons why stuff works or doesn't!

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 8, 2013

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

For instance, I totally agree with the lack of biome diversity. Once you get past the aesthetics, of which there are a ton of rad ones, MECHANICALLY they all function pretty much the same. There needs to be more biome specific, or even planet-type specific, environmental features, even maybe wildly different styles of terrain generation.

Verranicus posted:

Except most of the complaints are quality of life things that can be added when the games major systems are fixed and set in stone first.

Stuff like biome differentiation and monster mechanical diversity are pretty core issues!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Control Volume posted:

More diversity is not a core mechanic.

It is when the core mechanic is "theres infinite worlds!" and all the worlds function exactly the same.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

qnqnx posted:

There are actually biomes that are mechanically different, like toxic flower biomes having a lot of poison water ponds.
Also nice title.

Apparently there's magma planets too, in the higher tiers? It just feels like for how diverse some of the planets ive been to are, when I look back at how I handled them, its way too similar. If there IS that kind of mechanical diversity, it needs to be spread through all the tiers more evenly.

And yeah, I was a MENACE for those three pages, I guess.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Yeah infinite area was Minecraft's gimmick too, and while they're still adding new biomes and monsters and blocks, the game has stagnated without mods because more diversity is not a core mechanic.

Actually, minecraft's biomes in the most recent patch are almost all mostly cosmetic! They introduce pretty new colors, new types of dirt, sand and trees that function mechanically the same but aesthetically different! And people still prefer the mods that forgo that in lieu of adding more actual mechanical content. So yeah!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

Please tell us more about how different colored dirt is insufficient amusement for one of such grand ambition.

I actually preferred the idea of keeping all items of the same type (fine sand, dry dirt, dirt, sand, stone) in a separate single category for each one, and as you find colors it unlocks them to be used, while keeping the overall count a shared number.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

I agree, mechanical differences between biomes are important.

The difference being I'm not going to poo poo up five to six pages explaining why we should do that right now instead of fixing the things that are currently getting fixed.

What. I'm not saying anything like that? I'm super hyped for the combat overhaul, and the new weapons should be interesting. I have no idea where you're getting any of that from, aside from this lunatic fuckin' title I got I guess

Motherfucker posted:

I mean honestly do you really need to burn to death on a desert planet when the tech tree is so hosed up you likely will need to go to that same planet to get the materials needed to make sun protection equipment? Would you like to choke to death on moon class planets when there is absolutely no ground work in place for preventing choking to death because they focused more on the texture of the dirt at the side of the road than on making the actual road?

Who said mechanical features of biomes have to be instantly deadly, at all?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Different monsters per biome on a planet would be a nice, fairly simple, addition. Have a few common to the whole planet and some that only appear in certain environments.

Also some planets having a small "ice cap" for variety.

Making certain monster "parts" unique to certain biomes would be interesting, too, and might help biomes AND monsters feel more unique.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Mystery Prize posted:

What am I supposed to do to get past Tier 2? The armor is worthless and I don't know what I'm looking for to advance.

Right now the best option is "mine for gold until you cry, and the second you get enough gold for armor, immediately turn it into racial steel armor" but the wipe patch coming soon is also going to rebalance ore and add random armor loot, so that should get much easier.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Randomly generated armor isn't happening next patch, nor is it a feature consideration thing yet. Forward it to Tiyuri.

poo poo, I got posts in this thread mixed up with actual proposed features, haha.

Reiley posted:

Planet diversity isn't a mechanic. Things that make up diversity in a meaningful way are environmental hazards, of which there are already a few- the most prominent at present being temperature, but others include stalactites, buzzsaws, electrical traps, toxic lakes and my personal bane, the Big Sudden Cliff. The way those environmental hazards impede you- generally by threatening you with death- are core mechanics. The planets could use more diverse environmental hazards but those hazards themselves, from a perspective of core mechanics, are already present.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about, though! There are waaay too few of them, and they absolutely do not need to be "hazards", necessarily, although that makes them the most relevant obv. Temperature isn't really a great feature at the moment, either you die too fast or you can ignore it, with a very small sweet spot I've only hit once where I had just enough cold resist to travel a fair amount before setting up a fire and a tent and resting/heating up. And stalactites, electric blocks, and buzzsaws are generally dungeon feautres!

I just think the planets need stuff that makes me specifically remember each biome, other than aesthetically. Because, on another note, trees on ice planets RULE

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 8, 2013

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Yeah, that reminds me, a QOL feature I hope we can get down the line is something along the same lines as the Guide from terraria. It's pretty low priority until a majority of content is in, but something that says "You have this but if you had THIS too...!!" makes finding new things super exciting.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Exploring tons of planets is also the best way to get gold and platinum! Just loot that poo poo, deep earth mining is the work of poor people.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

What does the snow armour require? I don't see it in my crafting lists.

Leather, you make it at the spinning wheel. Don't get too attached, its getting nerfed in the next patch (because it was added in a hurry I guess, and is literally stronger than silver armor)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Reddit (*gasp*) has a pretty good thread about current issues and design directions. I'm honestly surprised the feedback is of such high quality.

I honestly think the game is in good hands with the devs and the community outside the official forums.

Yeah, for all the posting about the issues, I have to say I'm really impressed with not just the patch turnaround, but the quality of fixes, and how receptive they are to that stuff. It's an insanely good sign.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Hey, any of y'all ever played dark souls??? I have, and,

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

Loaded word. There hasn't been like a stable update in months. The unstable version and nightlies update all the Goddamn time but some how the blubberers never bring that up.

Considering how big of a deal they made about "no more updates wiping worlds or saves" back around release, I don't think you can turn around and say those count, really.

Also it's pretty eyerolly to call people "blubberers" for not following weird experimental builds and instead waiting for actual official updates through the client they purchased it in! No one's screeching for refunds or dumb poo poo, just asking perfectly reasonably questions about an Early Access game!

edit: finally brought this custom title back to the thread it was birthed in

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Taear posted:

I think Starbound gets the most vitriol because the game page promised a load of pretty cool stuff but when you play it's not really there. Yes I know it's early access but I can still see people being disappointed that it doesn't quite match up to what the description touts it as. It feels more like a sandboxy crafting game and not much like a "go to planets exploring" game.

Someone made this post awhile back in the thread, and I think it super speaks for the game's biggest weakness atm

Broand posted:

One of the cool things Terraria did with ores was that you had no idea what you could do with them until you got back to your base and checked the recipes of things you could make. Early game was more along the lines of "Oh hey some copper, that'll come in handy" rather than "Okay I need X amount of copper in order to progress". Eventually you find stranger materials, like meteorite, demonite and other stuff and each time you find them you're mining with the thought that "I bet I can make some really cool poo poo with this" because it was an uncommon material with a cool premise.

Starbound is more straightforward. You mine materials to make gear better and build more weapons, but there's very little variation outside of standard upgrades. Starbound has loads of cool potential materials, like Direstone, Tar, Bones, Sand, Mud, Slime, Dungeon building blocks etc but you can't make anything cool out of them. You can make some furniture out of them but there's so little else you can do with them. Where Starbound can really outshine Terraria is the fact that you know that there's not going to be all the content on one planet, which drives you to explore. But if all you get is a slightly different flavour of the same thing then there's not much point in exploring at all.

It's really fun to find a bizarre weird new biome in Starbound, but when you realize that all you're getting is a different color of sand, or a new ground block, it takes away some of the excitement.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

You seem to be a little frustrated about Video games.

Vexed.

Perturbed.

Incensed.

Perhaps a little...Mad.

I'm really glad that this how this thread responds to any level of criticism against Starbound.

Just because someone out there is being unreasonable about the game doesn't mean people who aren't being unreasonable are any less valid, y'all. Going WOW YOU'RE STARTING TO SOUND A LITTLE LIKE THOSE 4CHAN BABIES every time someone criticizes the game is dumb as hell.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

An update literally doesn't count as a "real" update until it can be applied to the Steam version without wiping worlds/saves. This isn't my standard for it, this was literally what Tiy said after the last big wipe patch a monthish after EA release. I think the idea of unstable nightly builds is really cool, but you have to understand that its for diehard fans, not the general consumer, which most EA purchasers are, whether you like it or not. Being on the frontpage of steam is a double-edged sword.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, being unreasonable is less valid than being reasonable. When someone complains "THERE'S NO UPDATES!!!!!:qq:" when they have the option to grav nightly builds, they are being unreasonable and their complaint is less valid than if Tiy said "the next patch is on X date and will have Y feature" with X date coming, the patch being late without explanation, and Y feature not being in it without explanation.

The first complaint should be ignored, or mocked if the person keeps doubling down on stupidity. The second would warrant an explanation and reflect poorly otherwise.

That's not what I meant! What I mean is that any time someone brings up an issue they have in here, everyone makes sure to tell them that maybe they should consider all these assholes out there and how the team obviously can't say anything about X because of 4chan/reddit, and how dare you whine, etc etc. Which is ridiculous. What I'm saying is that valid criticism shouldn't be lumped in with invalid complaints.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yes, they are. Look around you.

The insane dogpile onto his pretty reasonable posts is actually a good way of proving his point that pretty much any criticism of starbound is immediately handwaved away as being "entitled" or compared to weird 4chan stalking.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

For the record, the fact that the first tier in starbound is literally making pickaxes and poo poo is still super dumb and bad, and just feels like it's only there because the games that preceded Starbound did it, which makes sense considering its origins! But at some point that should've been addressed as "hey this game has literally no need to start off like minecraft or terraria, it should be cool original poo poo start to finish"

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I haven't messed with the nightly updates yet but do you still have to fill your faster than light spaceship engine with wood and coal

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I had always hoped NPC Spawners were a placeholder mechanic for some way of recruiting people to come live in a settlement you built/on your ship. It'd be almost the same mechanic, but I feel like adding some level of window dressing like that to it would make it feel much less sterile and much more personal, which is "home planets" lack.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh my loving god, who asked you to bring this up yet again?

I had hoped that three hundred and fifty pages of posts was more than enough time to let this thread heal from what was clearly a very traumatic discussion of the game.

edit: nice try bucko

Lizard Wizard posted:

Idunno man, we'd just have a bunch of weird space poo poo to chop trees and dig rocks with. Why not just call a pickaxe a pickaxe?

because if I didn't want space poo poo I'd just play terraria. but I do. I love space poo poo. the game already has tools that are way cooler than pickaxes, but it forces you to go through the cargo cult phase before you can unlock them, which is silly.

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 8, 2014

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Will someone please make a mod that says that your character went to a space Trade school after graduating from Space Highschool so they know how to make space lasers instead of ancient stick+rock technology?

I think it'd be cool if this was actually changed by the developers of the in-development game, instead.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Only if one of the options does nothing but seems like it should do something. And the developers don't say anything about it for like 2-3 years after release. :v:

i think the last thing early access needs is ANOTHER game with "dark souls elements" on it's features list

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Tiy working on terraria is why I totally understand why some of that stuff has stuck around, I just think he needs to zoom out and examine why that stuff is STILL there.

i know, i was taking a shot at early access as a whole, dummy

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Section Z posted:

Well, I'd assume the reason they'd keep generic 'can't mine X without Y pickaxe' would because Terraria and whatever other digging games do it, and calling it "a sense of progression" when you are screaming at your screen because you've spent the last two hours walking past piles of iron and whatever amounts of silver and gold because you just can't find those first scraps of copper that are "So easy to get you guys." While walking past any platinum or diamonds you'd normally dig up to save for making a shiny new pickaxe later, because you are not allowed to dig plat without gold, and no diamond without plat.

You don't even start off being able to dig up the FIRST TIER progression metal, stone pick can only dig up copper and coal. No Iron, no Silver, no Gold. So before you can make an anvil (because you are not allowed to dig up iron), you gotta hope you find enough copper. This is actually WORSE than usual pickaxe progression, because you don't need to work your way up through an extra pickaxe tier before you can start making an ANVIL in Terraria (plus, you know. Starting with a pickaxe).

This sounds pretty bad.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Making progression as linear as possible in sandbox games is always the weirdest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Section Z posted:

My only comfort is that this latest derail I've caused myself by simply reading the nightly notes, is based around actual current (nightly) gameplay and it's implications. Pretty bullshit that ores disintegrate, I thought they would just float in the air mocking you or something.

Though I can't help but ruin it by asking, would you say this is worse than caveman tier? Because caveman tier could at least, very slowly, dig up anything.

I think that maybe scrabbling for dirt and rocks with your hands and caveman tools and then subsequently warping away like megaman is a weird disconnect and one of those things is cool and should be what starbound is about and one isn't.

• Locked thread